Players starting Slayer should seek the highest levelled Slayer Master accessible to them. Higher levelled masters assign monsters with increased difficulty, which generally give more experience compared to their lower-level counterparts.
Access to mastersEdit
Requirements or quests for accessing different Slayer masters and areas include:
|Master||Location||Levels required||Quests required|
|Turael / Spria ||Taverley|
|Mazchna / Achtryn ||Canifis||20 Combat|
|Vannaka||Edgeville Dungeon||40 Combat|
|Chaeldar||Zanaris||75 Combat||Lost City|
|Duradel / Lapalok ||Shilo Village||50 Slayer|
|Kuradal||Ancient Cavern||75 Slayer|
|Barbarian Training |
- ^ a b Turael is replaced by Spria, and Duradel is replaced by Lapalok with the completion of While Guthix Sleeps.
- ^ During While Guthix Sleeps, Mazchna is temporarily replaced by Achtryn.
- ^ However, it is possible to be assigned tasks via NPC Contact without completing any training.
Access to monstersEdit
These quests give access to new Slayer monsters. While players can kill them in other locations, they will still need to complete the appropriate quest to unlock Slayer assignments for these creatures.
- Barbarian Training - Mithril dragons and single-combat waterfiends
- Birthright of the Dwarves - Chaos giants
- Cabin Fever - Jungle and cave horrors
- Children of Mah - Nightmares
- Ernest the Chicken - Killerwatts
- Fate of the Gods - Nihil and muspahs
- Horror from the Deep - Dagannoths
- Legacy of Seergaze - Mutated bloodveld, skeletal hands and zombie hands
- Lunar Diplomacy - Suqahs
- Mogre (miniquest) - Mogres
- One of a Kind - Celestial dragons
- The Path of Glouphrie - Warped tortoises and terrorbirds
- Ritual of the Mahjarrat - Glacors
- Rum Deal - Fever spiders
- While Guthix Sleeps - Tormented demons
- The World Wakes (full completion) - Automatons
The following transportation methods may help Slayers get to their targets faster:
- Fairy ring system - Grants quick access to many high-level Slayer tasks. Players must have started Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen to use the rings with a Lunar/Dramen staff (the staff is no longer required after completing Fairy Tale III - Orks Rift).
- Lunar spells - NPC Contact allows the player to talk to any Slayer master without travelling to them. Spellbook Swap grants access to non-tablet teleports like Trollheim Teleport and Ghorrock Teleport from the Ancient Magicks book. Lunar Diplomacy is required to use Lunar spells, and Desert Treasure to use Ancient Magicks.
- Ring of slaying - Offers teleports to several Slayer locations; obtained from a Slayer master for points.
- Ferocious ring - Can be used to teleport to Kuradal's Dungeon and is obtained by killing monsters in said dungeon.
- Player-owned house - Players can strategically place their house where there are no other handy means of teleportation. Completing Love Story allows players to teleport to any house portal by chipping teleport tablets.
- Karamja gloves 3 - Provides a teleport to Shilo Village, allowing quick access to Duradel/Lapalok; requires completion of the hard Karamja Tasks
- Juju teleport spiritbag or the witchdoctor mask - Both can be used to teleport to the Herblore Habitat, directly east of Shilo Village.
The completion of Smoking Kills allows players to receive full Slayer reward points when completing slayer tasks and challenges. Players who have not completed Smoking Kills will only receive half the amount of points when completing tasks. Reward points can be used to cancel, skip, and block tasks as well as to purchase other rewards. An example of one of these rewards is the ability to craft slayer helmets which can be upgraded to a full slayer helmet and beyond.
Slayer reward points are awarded for every task the player completes after their fourth consecutive task. Tasks assigned by Turael/Spira do not award Slayer reward points nor do they count towards the Slayer task count. Changing a task with Turael or Spria will reset the task count to zero, and therefore require the player to complete another four tasks to start receiving points again.
Every 10th and 50th task, players earn 5 and 15 times the Slayer master's standard amount of points. It is possible to complete the first 9 tasks with a low-level master and then switch to a higher-level master for the comparatively larger bonus.
|Master||Points per task||Points per 10th task||Points per 50th task|
|Turael / Spria||0||0||0|
|Mazchna / Achtryn||2||10||30|
|Duradel / Lapalok||15||75||225|
When training Slayer, it is important to have a sufficient variety of weapons to cover any task that you will be doing. The ideal weapon for the task will correspond to the target's exact weakness (e.g. crush, thrown, water spells etc.) A player's hit chance is dependant of your accuracy, the equipment you are wearing compared to the defence level of your opponent and your opponent's weakness. When choosing the ideal weapon, one should consider the weakness type as well as the level.
In areas crowded with aggressive monsters, two-handed weapons may be preferred because of area-of-effect abilities. In areas with more passive creatures, it may be wiser to use weapon/abilities that do not have an area-of-effect. Nevertheless, all types of melee weapons are covered below.
A list of melee weapons and their attack types, requirements and other information can be found on the Melee weapons page.
While all bows and crossbows can use ammunition of any tier, the damage will cap at the weapon's level.
A list of ranged weapons and their requirements and other information can be found on the Ranged weapons page.
Mages should be familiar with the damage scaling of elemental spells as well as the basics of hit chance (also called accuracy). With a good setup, ones accuracy will be 100% regardless of the element. In this case, one should choose element based on cost and/or desired effect (in the case of Ancient Magicks). Note that one should not necessarily choose the spell with the highest level requirement because of the two concepts of damage scaling and "capping at weapon levels"; these two concepts are described at Elemental spells.
For example, on the Standard spellbook, suppose that one has 99 Magic and a level 80 magic weapon, which is enough to guarantee 100% accuracy in a certain setting regardless of element. All four of the wave spells (Air wave, etc.) scale up to level 80, so they are equally strong. Air wave has the cheapest casting cost, so it is always the most preferable among the wave spells. Air blast only scales up to level 61, so its damage will be much less. Usually, the savings of one air rune per cast will not be worth it.
A list of magic weapons and their requirements and other information can be found on the Magic weapons page.
It is rather easy to decide what armour to take on Slayer because you only have to compare its tier, its type and its prayer bonus. The optimal choice of armour is gear to exploit your target's combat style (or specific weakness). This is particularly true for Slayer as all your targets are the same and thus there is usually no point in using hybrid armour. By wearing the appropriate armour type (Melee, Ranged, Magic) you will deal more damage to your opponent and take less damage from it. Unless you're fighting particularly hard targets it may also be a good idea to use non-degradable armour to avoid the cost of repair. Power armour is highly recommended when training slayer.
- Black mask, Slayer helmet, or Full slayer helmet - while they have very low defensive stats, they give a 12.5% increase to melee accuracy and damage when slaying assigned monsters (a full slayer helmet also does the same for ranged and magic). A Slayer helmet incorporates all Slayer headgear effects. The slayer helmet may be enchanted so that it may be charged with special attack scrolls for combat familiars to save inventory space (although as familiars can now carry their own scrolls this is no longer so useful).
- Slayer masks/Slayer helms for getting specific tasks.
- Verac's armour - has the decent defence of level 70 equipment and a small prayer bonus as an extra benefit.
- Proselyte armour - while it has very low defensive stats, its prayer bonus is substantial and may be considered worth it on easier tasks by some players.
- Saradomin's whisper - provides 36 damage to melee and 2 prayer bonus.
- Tokhaar-Kal - The Tokhaar-Kal is the best melee cape for slayer. It provides 44 melee defence along with 31 melee damage and 2 prayer bonus.
- Fire cape - a toned down version of the Tokhaar-Kal, this cape has lower stats, although its 2.2% melee crit is very decent.
- Blessed spirit shield - an affordable level 70 shield, although the usefulness of a shield in Slayer is very minimal.
- Dragon defender - a tier 60 off-hand weapon that provides a decent boost to armour and life points.
- Dragonfire shield - for those without access to Super antifires, this is a superior alternative to the Anti dragon shield. It also has good defensive bonuses.
- Goliath gloves - level 85 gloves from Dominion Tower that deflect some damage to ranged-based monsters.
- Dragon slayer gloves - gives a 10% increase to attack when slaying the assigned dragon task. This effect stacks with the Black mask or Slayer helmet's effect. Despite its benefits, the time required obtaining this is not worth the bonus effect.
- Dragon boots, Bandos boots, and Steadfast boots - provide increasingly high defence stats along with increasing cost.
- Warrior ring or Warrior ring (i) - provide 17 and 25 melee damage respectively.
- Guthan's armour, Dharok's armour, and Torag's armour - if not planning to use their respective set effects, Verac's armour is better because it has prayer bonus.
- Bandos armour - while it has a lesser prayer bonus than Verac's armour, Bandos doesn't degrade.
- Torva armour - Generally the best melee armour for slayer, due to being power armour and having a life boost, although the cost in degradation may make this an unwise choice, and is more power than necessary.
- Focus sight or Full slayer helmet - while they have very low defensive stats, they give a 12.5% increase to Ranged accuracy and damage when slaying assigned monsters. A Slayer helmet incorporates all Slayer headgear effects. The slayer helmet may be enchanted so that it may be charged with special attack scrolls for combat familiars to save special attack energy for the familiars.
- Dragonhide armour and shields - Have increasingly better stats in order of green, blue, red, black, and royal. In order to use the blue d'hide body Dragon Slayer must be completed.
- Armadyl buckler - a level 70 shield with a prayer bonus, although shields are not very useful in Slayer.
- Armadyl armour - Armadyl armour has a prayer bonus, unlike its Barrows tier equivalent. However, this bonus is very slight and some players prefer to use the cheaper Karil's armour.
- Karil's armour - a relatively cheap but effective substitute for Armadyl armour.
- Pernix armour - extremely expensive and degradable. However, it provides better stats than any of the other ranging armour choices above.
- Archers' ring and Archers' ring (i) - have 17 and 25 ranged damage respectively.
- Saradomin's murmur - provides 4.4% ranged crit and 2 prayer bonus.
- Amulet of ranging - a very good substitute for the murmur, this has 4.3% ranged crit and is cheaper.
- Snakeskin boots/Carapace boots, Demon slayer boots, Armadyl boots and Glaiven boots - provide increasingly better bonuses.
- Swift gloves - level 85 gloves from Dominion Tower that deflect some damage to mage-based creatures.
- Ava's alerter, Ava's accumulator, Ava's device - provide Ranged crit and will retrieve some ammunition from auto attacks.
- Hexcrest or Full slayer helmet - while they have very low defensive stats, they give a 12.5% increase to Magic accuracy and damage when slaying assigned monsters. A Slayer helmet incorporates all Slayer headgear effects. The slayer helmet may be enchanted so that it may be charged with special attack scrolls for combat familiars to save special attack energy for the familiars (see Melee gear).
- Ahrim's armour - level 70 armour without a prayer bonus. Has no quest requirements.
- Robes of subjugation - level 70 non-degrading armour with a small prayer bonus.
- Arcane stream necklace - a necklace from Dungeoneering with a 4.9% magic crit.
- Saradomin's hiss - provides 4.4% magic crit and 2 prayer bonus.
- Seers' ring and Seers' ring (i) - provide 17 and 25 magic damage respectively.
- Spellcaster gloves - level 85 gloves from Dominion Tower that deflect some damage to melee-based monsters.
- Virtus armour - very expensive but has superior stats to most other armours.
- Lunar equipment - a cheap alternative to Barrows equipment but requires Lunar Diplomacy.
- Ganodermic armour - level 75 armour. However, it degrades and is not cheap to repair.
- Boots of subjugation and Ragefire boots - both provide decent defence, Ragefire boots being the better of the two.
- Crystal ward - a great little-known shield. It is level 70 and requires completion of Roving Elves to obtain, again shields are not very useful in Slayer.
- Any God cape - best pure mage cape, only below TokHaar-Kal-Mej.
The following equipment can be used for Ranged, Magic, and Melee. It is worth noting that hybrid armour has hybrid defences; for example, wielding Barrows Gloves when using ranged will not provide any more magic defence than melee defence. Hybrid armour is usually a poor choice unless you're being attacked by enemies that are in different parts of the combat triangle.
- Full slayer helm - 12.5% increase to accuracy and damage for all combat styles.
- Amulet of fury - provides 4.2% crit to all styles, along with 3 prayer bonus.
- Ardougne cloak 3 - has 4 prayer bonus, 1.5% crit to all styles, and a bit of armour.
- Soul Wars Cape - for those preferring more prayer bonus to crit, this cape provides a hefty 6 prayer bonus along with a bit of armour.
- Any Skill Cape - these provide 2% crit to all styles and 180 armour. A prayer bonus of 2 is available if trimmed.
- Barrows gloves - Cheap level 70 gloves that are classed for all.
- Cinderbane gloves - are hybrid power gloves, they additionally have a passive effect that applies poison to targets while worn.
- Onyx ring (i) - 22 armour and 2.7% crit to all.
- Berserker ring and Berserker ring (i) - provides 2.2% and 2.5% crit to all styles.
- Void Knight equipment - armour with low defence but an actual offensive bonus. It cannot be used with the slayer helmet. It is up to the Slayer to decide whether or not the set is beneficial to the task at hand.
- Akrisae's armour - level 70 armour with prayer bonus. Requires Ritual of the Mahjarrat to wear.
- Warpriest armour - Armour with decent defensive bonuses, each set has a different effect: Warpriest of Saradomin armour and Warpriest of Zamorak armour reduce damage taken, Warpriest of Armadyl armour and Warpriest of Bandos armour reduce ability cooldowns, and Warpriest of Tuska armour increases critical hit chance.
- Anima Core of Sliske - Hybrid armour with improved defensive bonuses over warpriest armour, and can be augmented.
- Salve amulet (e) - provides a 20% boost all combat styles against undead. This bonus will stack with the Slayer helmet effect.
Food is recommended, though abilities such as Rejuvenate, Regenerate, and the ancient curse Soul Split keep the need for food at a minimum. However, food can be good to bring as it requires little adrenaline and provides cheap healing.
Below is a chart listing the best food for your level.
|Image||Food||Healing|| level for|
(1,187 * 2)
|95||901 coins||Takes two bites, healing 1,187 LP each.|
|Rocktail||2,300||93||3,268 coins||While a very handy food, Rocktail cost more than many others and can be easily substituted for other, slightly less expensive foods.|
|Manta ray||2,275||91||2,847 coins||Very expensive. It is recommended to use other foods.|
(850 * 2)
|85||1,452 coins||Takes two bites, healing 850 LP each.|
|Cavefish||2,200||88||2,125 coins||Boosts a random combat stat by 2.|
|Shark||1900||80||1,155 coins||A very nice food with common use.|
|Beltfish||1,650||66||201 coins||Cheaper and better healing than monkfish.|
(812 * 2)
|65||413 coins||Two bites healing 812 each.|
|Monkfish||1,600||62||366 coins||A lower-level staple.|
|Swordfish||1,400||45||224 coins||A low-level but cheap food. Great for healing up before or after Slayer trips.|
See Calculators/Food healed for a detailed cost per life point breakdown.
Other useful itemsEdit
- Enchanted gem or Ring of slaying. These items are used for checking how many kills left in your assignment. The Ring of Slaying also provides teleport to several locations. The Rellekka Slayer Caves teleport brings the player close to a fairy ring. The Sumona teleport will bring the player close to the slayer master and the smoke dungeon. However, the "Slayer counter" in the Interface settings (subsection: Interface options) shows the remaining number of kills more conveniently.
- NPC Contact (requires 67 Magic and the completion of Lunar Diplomacy) allows players to ask their Slayer Master for a new assignment remotely.
- Ferocious rings can be used to teleport to Kuradal or Morvran up to five times. Wearing a Ferocious ring also increases damage dealt to monsters in Kuradal's Dungeon by 4%. (The ability to fuse Ferocious rings to Slayer helms can be unlocked for 500 Slayer reward points; the 4% damage boost is also transferred to the helm, freeing up the ring slot for a Ring of wealth or a ring with combat bonuses.)
- The Tokkul-Zo provides unlimited teleports to several locations inside Tzhaar city. (It is worth noting that there is a Fairy ring and a bank immediately next to the ring's teleport to the Fight caves.) The Tokkul-Zo also increases damage dealt to Tzhaar monsters by 10%.
- Headhunter's thrill, for the chance of a kill to not affect the slayer counter, but still award experience.
Combat Equipment and SuppliesEdit
- Combat potions (e.g. Super set, Extreme potions, Overloads, and Combination potions) speed up most tasks immensely. Though high-level potions such as Overloads are expensive, the time one saves usually more than makes up for the cost.
- Summoning pouches and scrolls. Beasts of Burden to carry extra supplies or drops; Healers to reduce food consumption or eliminate the need for it altogether. Combat familiar pouches for faster experience, in particular Nihil pouches, as these will damage your target, but will also boost the aligned attack style, whether it be Melee, Magic or Range 5%. The highest levelled players will use a steel titan with their helmet and their inventory loaded with special attack scrolls for faster tasks even on dragon tasks, using a Bonecrusher for those tasks. A unicorn would be brought if a steel titan may not.
- Demon horn necklace (or weaker variant) with a Bonecrusher (for monsters that drop bones) or an Ectoplasmator (for monsters that drop demonic ashes). Using the necklace with one of these items can provide an effectively unlimited supply of prayer points, as long as target monsters are slain quickly.
- The Holy wrench passively increases the Prayer points restored from potions. (This includes Super prayer potions, Prayer renewal potions, and Super restore potions). The Wrench can be worn in the pocket slot to save inventory space.
- Dwarf multicannon and Cannonballs - for faster killing; moderately expensive to use but usually speeds up tasks and experience up considerably; faster kill rates mean time saved that could have been spent doing more slayer tasks or making money to make up for the cost of cannonballs. Although higher levelled players might find cannoning all possible tasks to be the most efficient route, lower levelled players or those on a budget should consider cannoning only the tasks with monsters that are aggressive (Dagannoths, Hellhounds, Warped terrorbirds, Suqahs, and Kalphites).
- Fairy rings (requires a Dramen or Lunar staff and partial completion of Fairy Tale II) provide fast access to many monsters. Completion of Fairy Tale III removes the need for a Dramen or Lunar staff. See this page for a list of fairy ring locations.
- The Karamja gloves 3/4 can be used to teleport to the Shilo Village mining site, allowing fast access to Duradel/Lapalok and Gemstone dragons. Completion of the Hard Karamja tasks also grants free entry into Brimhaven Dungeon.
- House tablets are useful in several ways. Players can build a Small obelisk and prayer altar in their home, and the portals in the Portal Chamber can be tuned to several convenient locations. Houses may also be placed in cities with nearby Slayer facilities (such as Pollnivneach or Menaphos). Players who have completed Love Story can also chip house tablets, redirecting the tablet to send them to their choice of house portal.
- A Broomstick is useful (in combination with a carpet ride) for reaching Sumona or the Smoke Dungeon. Players who have completed Love Story can use Pollnivneach tablets instead.
- The Hoardstalker ring and Dungeoneering cape provide teleports to any accessible Resource Dungeon. (The ring comes with 8 charges and can be recharged for 10,000 Dungeoneering tokens, while the cape has unlimited use). This is very useful for tasks such as Hill giants, Moss giants, Fire giants, Blue dragons, Iron dragons, Steel dragons, Mithril dragons, Celestial dragons, Hellhounds, Lesser demons, Black demons, Kal'gerion demons, Polypore creatures, and Edimmu.
Some players use their house teleport as an advantage to quickly train Slayer.
Note that there are many cases where using player-owned houses are not the most efficient method, not all of the following advantages are relevant to those who have unlocked high level teleportats.
|Rimmington||Close to Mudskipper Point for mogre, ice warrior and skeletal wyvern tasks.Can be reached easily with an Explorer´s ring (3) teleport (cabbage port).||Far from a Slayer master to exchange slayer points.
Fairy ring code AIQ teleports directly to Mudskipper Point.
The amulet of glory teleports to Draynor, rendering the time saved minimal.
|Taverley||Somewhat close to Trollheim for troll, spiritual mage, spiritual ranger, and spiritual warrior tasks|
Close to the Heroes' Guild and Taverley Dungeon for blue dragon tasks
Close to Burthorpe Slayer master for reassignment of tasks
|The games necklace and Home Teleport teleports closer to all these locations. (except blue dragons). The Taverley lodestone gives quick access to the Burthorpe Slayer master, and the Burthorpe lodestone is faster than using Taverley POH.|
|Pollnivneach||Close to Sumona|
Close to the Smoke Dungeon
| The magic broom, Camulet and Bandit camp lodestone are somewhat slower but cheaper.
Ring of slaying can directly teleport to Sumona's house.
Close to Waterbirth Island Dungeon for high-level dagannoth kills (level 90 Dagannoth and Dagannoth Kings)
Close to Ice strykewyrms.
|Far from a Slayer Master to exchange slayer points.
Enchanted lyre teleports close to POH portal.
Fairy rings are faster to Ice strykewyrms. Games necklace is closer to the Lighthouse dagannoths. Lunar lodestone is faster to getting to Lunar Isle.
Close to the Brimhaven Dungeon
Few non-Slayer uses.
Karamja lodestone can be used to access the Brimhaven dungeon for free.
|Yanille||Close to blue dragons and greater demons in the Ogre Encampment.||Far from a Slayer master to exchange slayer points.
Watchtower teleport is close.
Using the Lodestone is a little bit faster.
|Prifddinas||A fast way to Morvran without the use of the NPC Contact.
Close to bank.
Access to the grand exchange.
|The Prifddinas lodestone teleport can also be used for quick access to Morvran.|
Beast of Burden class familiars have their own inventories that help increase a player's carrying capacity which allows for longer stays on Slayer assignments by either allowing the player to bring more food and/or equipment while also allowing the player to pick up more items before having to return to the bank. Beasts' of Burden can be useful at profitable slayer tasks by using their Winter Storage scroll to transfer drops to the bank immediately.
Healer class familiars provide sources of health restoration. This may consist of a constant healing over time, a scroll use spell, or the capability of creating food to eat. A healer familiar will still heal a player even if that player has no Summoning points left.
Fighter class familiars consist of most familiars. A majority of the familiars you can summon have some degree of combat level and can be used to fight. A full list of summoning familiars can be found here.
There is a fourth class of familiars, skill enhancing familiars, that may be selected for a specific task to receive the desired effect. An example of this would be using a Macaw familiar while on an aberrant spectre assignment to improve the quality of herbs dropped.
Regardless of what class of familiar is selected, some thought must be taken when selecting a familiar for a particular slayer assignment. What works for one player may not work for another. For example, you won't need to use a familiar for most slayer tasks, but some tasks may need a beast of burden. A player will be happier to have a pack yak supply food for them when fighting wyverns than having a healing familiar support them.
A free and reasonably quick way to recharge Summoning points for extended Slayer training is the Tribute stone very near the Falador Lodestone.
Alternative methods of gaining experienceEdit
500 slayer xp, 5,000 the first time.
Wild Jade VineEdit
The Wild Jade Vine can yield 2,500 xp every 19 hours.
If the beam is broken and the boss slain Wilderness warbands gives slayer xp.
Corrupted scarabs provide a significant number of XP daily, the points per scarab dropping as you proceed.
God Statues yield the equivalent of a medium Xp lamp (max 17,204) each on a monthly basis a total of up to 86,020xp , provided the "wrong" statue is built at each site, and the fanatic defeated after praying.
Bork is a level 107 ork which may be killed once a day after doing The Hunt for Surok miniquest. Every kill after the very first one rewards the player with 1,500 Slayer experience, in addition to a fixed amount of various uncut gems and Summoning charms. Completing the Hard Varrock Tasks, The Mighty Fall, or both, increases all the mentioned rewards, including the player earning up to a maximum of 8,000 Slayer experience per kill.
Killing the Skeletal horror Edit
The Skeletal horror is a level 91 monster which may be killed once a week after doing the Rag and Bone Man and Fur 'n' Seek wish list miniquests, where the latter requires 73 Slayer to complete. Killing it rewards the player with Slayer experience ranging from around 9,000 to 15,125 experience depending on the player's level, as well as Prayer experience and a guaranteed elite clue scroll drop.
Completing quests Edit
Main article: Quest experience rewards - Slayer
- 1,000 - Recipe for Disaster
- 1,000 - Animal Magnetism
- 2,500 - The Curse of Arrav
- 2,500 - Fur 'n' Seek
- 5,000 - Royal Trouble
- 5,000 - Wanted!
- 5,000 - Smoking Kills
- 11,000 - A Clockwork Syringe
- 20,000 - The Path of Glouphrie
- 23,000 - Back to my Roots
- 110,000 - The World Wakes
Total: 186,000 Experience
- 4 x 100,000 experience from Idria after the While Guthix Sleeps quest may be used for the Slayer skill if the player is level 65 or higher.
Total: 586,000 Experience
While Guthix Sleeps is not the only quest that gives experience in any skill, so more experience than 586,000 can be obtained.