Skilling pets are pets released on 22 August 2016 that are obtained from non-combat skill training. There are currently a total of nineteen skilling pets, one for each non-combat skill. In an update planned for 2017, skilling pets for combat skills will be released.
While training, the player has a chance to receive a pet as a drop. Free to play players may obtain pets from free to play skills. Skilling pets display the player's experience in the associated skill when they are examined. It is possible to override Summoning familiars with skilling pets. When the player receives a pet, they get a message, along with a world announcement:
While skilling, you find [Pet], the [Skill] pet. It has been added to your inventory.
While skilling, you find [Pet], the [Skill] pet. However, you do not have enough inventory space, so it has been sent to your bank.
When a player has received and inspected their fifth skilling pet, they unlock the [Name], Jack of Trades title, along with a world announcement. When a player has received and inspected all 19 skilling pets, they unlock the [Name], Jack of all Trades title, along with a global broadcast.
The pets may be obtained at any level, but having a higher skill level increases the chance of receiving a pet, in addition to an increased chance with virtual levels, up to 120 (or 150 for Invention), and a further increase at 200 million experience. Virtual levelling option doesn't have to be enabled in order to get the increased pet chance from virtual levels.
For gathering and support skills (Agility, Divination, Firemaking, Fishing, Hunter, Mining, Slayer, Thieving, and Woodcutting), the chance to get a pet occurs alongside the chance to gather a resource; so the resource's level and success chance does not affect the chance of getting a pet.
For production skills, mostly artisan skills (Construction, Cooking, Crafting, Dungeoneering, Farming, Fletching, Herblore, Invention, Runecrafting, and Smithing), the chance to get a pet is affected by size of experience drops, excluding any possible bonus experience. Size of experience drop and pet chance ratio is linear, meaning that doing 100 actions that give 1 experience have the same pet chance as doing 1 action that gives 100 experience.
The following items and training methods do not provide any chance of receiving a pet:
- Use of protean items
- XP lamps/stars
- Silverhawk boots
- Elite training dummies
- Divine locations
Any form of experience boost (below) does not increase the chance of obtaining a skilling pet:
- portable skilling stations
- experience-boosting sets
- bonus experience
- Voice of Seren experience boost
If the player's inventory is full, the unlock item will be sent into their bank instead. If the bank is full, it will be delivered to the player as soon as there is space in either of those places.
Types of petsEdit
Pet number statisticsEdit
|Skill||Pet||30 August 2016||23 September 2016||26 September 2016||20 April 2017|
|Construction||Baby Yaga's House||12||239||1,133||4,262|
- 15,065 players have earned 5 or more pets thus unlocking the Jack of Trades title.
- 150 players have earned all 19 pets thus unlocking the Jack of all Trades title.
- Skilling pets were developed as they were rated the third most desired update in the RuneScape 2017 survey of potential future content.
- Training Dungeoneering in a dungeon will only give the chance to receive the Dungeoneering pet - no other skills inside the dungeon will give their respective pets.
- The first player to unlock all 19 pets and receive the Jack of all Trades title was Mr Blob on 15 October 2016.
- The first Ironman player to unlock all 19 pets and receive the Jack of all Trades title was B08 on 20 February 2017.
- The first Hardcore Ironman player to unlock all 19 pets and receive the Jack of all Trades title was Fabbles on 29 July 2017.
- The pet unlock items cannot be fed to a baby troll.
- Skilling pets are bankable and it is possible to receive multiple skilling pets without first interacting with the unlock item.
- ^ RuneScape Reveals (From RuneFest 2016). 20 September 2016.*
- ^ Mod Shauny. Skilling Pets - Megathread!. reddit.com. 22 August 2016.*
- ^ Mod Shauny. Skilling Pets - Megathread! (comment). reddit.com. 22 August 2016.*
- ^ https://www.twitch.tv/runescape/v/86587998
- ^ https://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/54vynr/skilling_pets_dxp_stats/