A Skill pure or skiller is a player that develops non-combat skills rather than combat skills. Skill pures usually have the goal to reach as high as possible in all skills that do not increase Combat level, and keep combat skills at level 1, making them 4 combat. This makes it harder to gain levels, as areas with dangerous monsters, or areas that require a quest involving combat, cannot be used for training. Combat skills (Attack, Strength, Defence, Ranged, Summoning and Magic) are not trained by skillers. After the Evolution of Combat update on November 20, 2012, skillers can now train Constitution, Prayer, and Summoning without raising their combat level past 4. However, some skillers choose not to train these skills because they used to be associated with combat.
It is recommended that skill pures wield ranged weapons such as the training bow (now discontinued), shortbow, shieldbow, crossbow, coral crossbow, phoenix crossbow, or barbed bow (the item, not the Solomon's one) without wielding any ammo. This is to avoid getting combat XP by accidentally attacking monsters.
To resume all of this, don't attack monsters. Equip a ring of recoil (bring at least 2-3 others in your inventory, because each ring can only do 4000 damage), and let them attack you. Don't forget to bring Saradomin flasks/potions, [Super] Prayer flasks/potions if you wanna pray, and a fast teleporting item like teleport tablets or scrolls. Strawberries are only recommended if the monster is low-levelled.
Note: due to the Evolution of Combat, many of these quests are now more difficult to complete without gaining experience. Using Rings of recoil may result in gaining combat experience, as you gain the experience after killing the monster.
Maximum Quest Points (Free-Play): 34
Maximum Quest Points (Member): 153
Quests with 'combat' writed in Bold are hard/ to complete as a skiller because of the boss(es).
Quests with 'combat' writed in Italic are easy to complete as a skiller without gaining combat experience.
- Free to Play
- Cook's Assistant
- Demon Slayer (combat)
- Ernest the Chicken
- Goblin Diplomacy
- Gunnar's Ground
- The Knight's Sword
- Myths of the White Lands
- Pirate's Treasure
- Shield of Arrav (combat)
- Swept Away
- What's Mine is Yours (combat)
- A Tail of Two Cats (combat in quests that needed to start this one)
- Buyers and Cellars
- Clock Tower
- Cold War (combat)
- Creature of Fenkenstrain (combat)
- Deadliest Catch
- Death Plateau (combat)
- Digsite Quest
- Druidic Ritual
- Dwarf Cannon
- Eadgar's Ruse (combat in quests that needed to start this one)
- Eagles' Peak (combat)
- Enlightened Journey
- Fishing Contest
- Garden of Tranquillity (combat in quests that needed to start this one)
- Gertrude's Cat
- The Hand in the Sand
- Hazeel Cult
- Hunt for Red Raktuber (combat in quests that needed to start this one)
- Icthlarin's Little Helper (combat)
- In Pyre Need
- Jungle Potion
- Let Them Eat Pie
- Lost City (combat)
- Lost Tribe
- Merlin's Crystal
- Monk's Friend
- Murder Mystery
- Observatory Quest
- Perils of Ice Mountain
- Plague City
- Recipe for Disaster: Dwarf
- Recipe for Disaster: Goblin Generals
- Recipe for Disaster: Pirate Pete (combat)
- Recipe for Disaster: Starting Out
- Sea Slug
- Shades of Mort'ton (combat)
- Sheep Herder
- Shilo Village (combat)
- Some Like It Cold
- Tai Bwo Wannai Trio (combat)
- Tears of Guthix
- The Feud (combat)
- The Golem
- The Tourist Trap
- Tower of Life
- Tribal Totem
- Troll Stronghold (combat)
- Unstable Foundations
A common method used to kill bosses in quests are by using rings of recoil and Saradomin brews. Saradomin brews lower a skiller's attack and strength to 0, which make it impossible for a skiller to deal any damage on a monster. This is vital for a skiller as combat experience can be gained if at least 1 damage is dealt to a monster. If no damage is dealt, but the monster was punched by the skiller, then the skiller will receive the drop for the monster with no combat experience.
The skills required to complete the above quests are the following:
Total level: 641
- ^ Delrith must be killed. The 10 skeletons can be fully recoiled. The monks WILL give experience when Grüfeld Bach kills them while following you through the tunnel.
- ^ For Phoenix Gang, Johnny the Beard must be killed. For Black Arm Gang, the Weaponmaster must be killed, but can also be killed by another player in the Phoenix Gang.
- ^ 4 Living rock brawlers must be killed.
- ^ Killing the Icelord yields 40-70 Attack experience, even when using rings of recoil. Note that more than one Icelord may be required to kill.
- ^ Giant Scarab must be killed. Giant Scarab is the #1 hardest skiller boss. Overloads/prayer potions, Darklight, and 90+ Constitution and Prayer are highly recommended, as well as a Champion tacklebox full of raw rocktails and 93+ cooking to cook them.
- ^ One experiment must be killed.
- ^ The Map must be killed.
- ^ A kebbit must be killed.
- ^ Either Crondis, Scabaras, Apmeken, or Het must be killed (chosen randomly), as well as the Possessed Priest. Note that another player cannot go into the boss fight with you, but he/she can stand outside of the boss area to carry extra supplies.
- ^ The Dramen Tree Spirit must be killed.
- ^ Slagilith must be killed as well as 3 dwarven gang members.
- ^ 5 mudskippers must be killed.
- ^ 5 loar shades must be killed. 25 Prayer experience is gained during the quest.
- ^ Another player can help by lowering the life points of the bosses.
- ^ One monkey must be killed. It is no longer required to mage or range it.
- ^ Tough Guy as well as Bandit champion must be killed.
- ^ Dad must be killed as well as a Troll General. Twig and Berry must also be killed if the skiller does not have 30 Thieving.
A Citadel pure is a type of skill pure, a player account created solely for the purpose of skilling in a Clan Citadel. As such, the only skills trained on a Citadel pure account are the skills involved in Citadel resourcing: Woodcutting, Mining, Firemaking, Smithing, Cooking, Crafting and Summoning.
These accounts are often created by higher-ranking members of clans to assist in the process of gaining needed resources each week. Only a certain amount of resources may be collected by a single account per week, so the creator uses this account to collect more resources then would normally be allowed.
There are certain activities that skillers can do. The ones listed are those that are possible to do at 4 combat. Some activities may need precaution to avoid combat experience.
- Barbarian Assault
- Castle Wars
- Duel Arena
- Fist of Guthix
- Games Room in Burthorpe
- Gnome Delivery
- Great Orb Project
- Mobilising Armies
- Pyramid Plunder
- Rogue's Den
- Rogue Trader
- Sorceress' Garden
- Social Slayer
- Soul Wars
- Stealing Creation
- Trawler Fishing
- ^ The best role be for a skiller is the Collector role. He or she can stand near the cannons, and only pick up eggs when there are no monsters around. It is recommended to wait for all the penance rangers to be dead. Alternatively, if a skiller chooses the same role as someone else and stays behind the Horn of Glory, he or she will receive as many Honour points as the other person of the same role. Jugs of wine are recommended to take, as they are allowed inside of Barbarian Assault.
- ^ Having the opponent forfeit will give a skiller kills on his or her Duellist's cap without giving any combat experience.
- ^ Only when losing each round, as winning would involve killing the other player, which increases combat experience. It is also possible to let the opponent forfeit to get more tokens per round.
- ^ Opening the sarcophagus gives Strength experience.
- ^ For a skiller to receive co-op points, he or she must kill at least 1 monster in the Slayer task. To do this, he or she must hit a 0 on it and use rings of recoil to kill it (note that no real damage has to be dealt.) Drinking a dose of Saradomin brew is recommended to do this. Only Turael can assign a skiller slayer tasks, as all other slayer masters require a higher combat level.
- ^ To avoid getting kicked by a low activity bar, a player can use bandages on their team mates, or bury bones in the graveyard as it gives no Prayer experience. Because zeals can be redeemed for Slayer experience, this is a very ideal way to train Slayer.
- ^ Stealing creation might also involve combat, but there are specific non-combat clans that make it possible to play Stealing Creation safely as a skill pure.
- ^ No combat experience is gained at all in the wilderness, other than from familiars. The fastest way to gain kills on a skiller is by using Darklight and having a friend use the Edgeville lever to teleport over and over.
- Certain quests are impossible as some carry combat skill rewards or involve killing a monster (which can be challenging).
- Skillers are unable to wield any weapons or armour requiring a combat-related skill of a level higher than one.
- Skillers with 85+ Mining are not able to effectively mine runite ore, making the skill less useful. Although, since the new Resource Dungeon release, those who have a sufficient Dungeoneering level can access new and safe runite rocks.
- Slayer is very difficult to level efficiently. Although Slayer tasks can be completed using rings of recoil and retribution/wrath, methods such as using experience lamps and the rewards from Penguin Hide and Seek and Soul Wars can be used to get experience without actually completing any Slayer tasks.
- Constitution, like Slayer, is also very difficult. It can be trained in the same way as Slayer.
- Another challenge for skillers is the fact that a lot of people don't like the idea of them. Many skillers have to put up with a lot of insulting and negativity from other players. However, this is not always the case, as many skillers become what they are due to popularity of creating a skiller.
Skillers in CombatEdit
Skillers can train some skills that have uses in combat. Skillers use these skills to defend, not to attack, so they won't get any combat experience. These skills are
- Slayer - Gives access to new equipment which can be used in combat
- Constitution - Increases your maximum amount of health as well as the amount certain foods heal you
- Prayer - Gives access to new prayers which give combat bonuses such as steel skin (to take less damage) or rapid heal (to heal faster). Also increases your maximum amount of prayer points.
- Firemaking - Extra health when contributing to Bonfires
- Dungeoneering - Gives access to new equipment which can be used in combat
- Herblore - Gives access to non-tradable potions which can be useful in combat
- Agility - Increases the rate in which your run energy restores and decreases the rate in which it lowers.
- There are a few skillers that have level 9 Constitution. This was done by making an account in RuneScape Classic and transferring it to RuneScape 2. Since you only received 1000 Constitution experience in RuneScape Classic, when you switched to RuneScape 2, you would have level 9 Constitution.
- There have also been skillers with level 1 Constitution. This was done by botting in the early stages of RuneScape Classic. If caught by Jagex, they would reset your Constitution experience to 0. Some of these accounts have since been locked by Jagex.
- There have been level 3 accounts that have obtained a fire cape. This was done by using a glitch to have multiple people in the same Fight Cave. The combat accounts would fight through all 63 waves and weaken TzTok-Jad to low life points. Then, the level 3 would use a special attack such as the dwarven army axe's special attack to kill TzTok-Jad, rewarding them with a fire cape and tokkul.
- There was once a glitch involving pet followers that allowed skillers to gain wildstalker kills without gaining combat experience. This was done by having someone cast a Summoning damage scroll (such as dreadfowl strike) on the skiller, causing the skiller's pet follower to start attacking the other player without yielding experience. This was patched on June 13, 2012. Howver, with the Evolution of Combat, skillers can now gain wildstalker kills again.
- There was once a glitch which allowed skillers to access Dorgesh-Kaan by using the Deep Pockets teleport option in Recommendations. This was patched on 29 May, 2012.
- There was once a glitch which allowed skillers to complete Elemental Workshop II, Elemental Workshop III, Family Crest, and obtain the explorer's ring 3. The glitch was only possible on the first day of release of the Fremennik Sagas. Completing the Fremennik Sagas during this glitch boosted several combat stats to a high level, thus allowing for completion of these quests.
- Elemental Workshop II used to be possible to complete when it was first released because it did not have a level 20 Magic requirement at the time.
- There was once a glitch which allowed a skiller to complete Imp Catcher, The Restless Ghost, and Vampyre Slayer without receiving the combat experience reward. The glitch was only possible during the RuneScape 2 Beta period. Only a few skillers have been known to have abused it.
- There is currently a glitch which allows for Underground Pass to show up as completed in an Adventurer Log without actually completing the quest. This is done by simply starting the quest. This technically makes a skiller be able to have up to 92 completed quests in their Adventurer Log.
- Skillers could complete the Family Crest quest by using a deathtouched dart to instantly kill the level 170 Chronozon quest monster, normally requiring damage from all 4 elemental blast spells.
- There used to be a glitch that was done by entering the Three's Company Fremennik Saga and switching to the Ariane character. This would deselect all 4 modes of melee XP, resulting in gaining only Constitution experience when killing a monster, which was useful for completing quests and getting monster drops.This was patched February 5th, 2013.