- This article has a strategy guide here.
|Release date||12 December 2005 (Update)|
|XP per kill||Unknown edit|
|Assigned by||Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
|Always drops||Wyvern bones|
|Examine text||A very dangerous pile of animated Wyvern bones.|
Level 72 Slayer is required to kill them. An elemental, mind, body, cosmic, chaos, or a dragonfire shield (not an anti-dragon shield) must be equipped when fighting wyverns, or else the player will be hit for very high damage. Super Antifire potions will NOT work against them. They are only found in the Asgarnian ice dungeon, in the chamber accessed from the southern wall of the icy area.
Skeletal Wyverns have an often under-rated earnings potential, as players on a slayer task with over 85+ range, 68 summoning and 80+ defence with full slayer helmet and using ranging/defence potions can easily make 200,000+ coins an hour, including banking time. They are also a good source of crimson charms, although there are many (easier) alternatives if one is not on a slayer task.
Wyverns have high Defence, Attack, and Life points, making them very challenging opponents. They attack with melee, ranged or their unique ice-breath attack. This attack can freeze players, and they will be unable to fight back, so eating or escaping would be useful while you are frozen. Also, they are extremely resistant to Magic and even Fire Surge will barely ever land a hit.
Wyverns are not affected by the Crumble Undead spell.
If a player is not wearing one of the shields they will be hit for very high damage. Contrary to popular belief, armour does not affect the accuracy of the ice-breath attack, the ice-breath will hit through all types of armour. Higher magic defence will make the max hit slightly lower.
Wyverns will use a ranged attack when players are both attacking from a distance and at melee range. Their melee attacks are comprised of a bite and using their tail, so high stab and crush defence will block most attacks.
- Note: Ranged below level 80 as well as Attack and Strength below level 80 WILL have trouble dealing any damage without a crushing weapon.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Wyvern bones 1 Always 7,024
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 6,649 kills.
2 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Weapons and Armour
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Mithril sword 1 Common 338 Black hatchet 1 Uncommon 282 Adamant hatchet 1 Uncommon 567 Snakeskin chaps 1 Uncommon 587 Earth battlestaff 1 Rare 9,021 Granite legs 1 Rare 40,084
Runes and Talismans
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Pure essence 60 (noted) Uncommon 5,160 Air rune 10–64 Uncommon 130–832 Water rune 11–33 Uncommon 143–429 Chaos rune 10 Uncommon 410 Law rune 2–5 Uncommon 358–895 Blood rune 2–11 Uncommon 332–1,826 Soul rune 5–14 Uncommon 615–1,722 Death rune 1–5 Uncommon 93–465
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Bone bolts 2–29 Common 12–174 Mithril bolts 8–39 Common 408–1,989 Adamant bolts 5–29 Common 430–2,494 Runite bolts 5–25 Common 1,890–9,450
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy ranarr 1 Uncommon 2,169 Grimy avantoe 1 Uncommon 4,171 Grimy harralander 1 Uncommon 612 Grimy guam 1 Uncommon 516 Grimy irit 1 Uncommon 1,772 Grimy cadantine 1 Uncommon 2,538 Grimy dwarf weed 1 Uncommon 8,069 Grimy lantadyme 1 Uncommon 7,733 Grimy kwuarm 1 Uncommon 2,557
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Belladonna seed 1 Uncommon 34 Cadantine seed 1 Uncommon 2,038 Dwarf weed seed 1 Uncommon 36,586 Snapdragon seed 1 Uncommon 2,360 Jangerberry seed 1 Uncommon 3 Limpwurt seed 1 Uncommon 870 Marrentill seed 1 Uncommon 12 Bittercap mushroom spore 1 Uncommon 10 Ranarr seed 1 Uncommon 877 Spirit weed seed 1 Uncommon 345 Strawberry seed 1 Uncommon 335 Tarromin seed 1 Uncommon 4 Watermelon seed 1 Uncommon 1,963 Whiteberry seed 1 Uncommon 29 Wildblood seed 1 Uncommon 40 Fellstalk seed 2 Uncommon 1,018 Toadflax seed 1 Uncommon 623
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 20–420 Common Not sold Skeletal wyvern tail-bone 1 Common Not sold Lobster 3 Uncommon 264 Bass 1 Uncommon 193 Super attack (1) 1 Uncommon 98 Defence potion (3) 1 Uncommon 354 Clue scroll (hard) 1 Uncommon Not sold Spin Ticket 1 Rare Not sold Adamant c'bow (u) 1 Rare 1,077 Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold Draconic visage 1 Very rare 1,230,658
Rare drop table drops
|Show/hide rare drop table|
- A Wyvern is a legendary winged reptilian creature with a dragon's head, the hindquarters of a snake or lizard with two legs or none, and a barbed tail.
- Even though the salve amulet has no effect on Skeletal Wyverns, they are mentioned in Tarn's diary:
|“||All my long hours of research have finally paid off! Today I discovered an ancient journal in the great library, which detailed a ceremony for giving life back to greater beasts after they have died! I shall finally be able to unravel the secrets of the Skeletal Wyverns!||”|
- The horns on the sides of the Skeletal Wyvern's skull look remarkably similar to those on the side of the dragon heads in the dragon forge.
- On the 23 April 2010, some players experienced a graphical glitch which caused all wyverns in view to disappear; however, their life bar and shadow remained, making it look as if players are fighting the air.
- Before the skeletal wyvern's attacks were updated, there was a glitch in which Protect from Melee would block both its melee attacks and breath attacks.
- The Skeletal Wyvern was the lowest level creature to drop the Draconic Visage before its combat level was updated.
- Skeletal wyverns have not been updated yet.
- There is a glitch where, when the wyvern melees you, it shows unblockable damage. However, this might be a oversight as using Protect from Melee blocks the attack.
- Skeletal Wyverns used to be level 140, but after an update, their combat levels were raised to 198, however their combat stats were not changed.
- There is currently a visual glitch where if you position the camera in a certain angle while the Skeletal Wyvern is using its ice breath against the player, wherever the ice breath is hitting the player, it will make that part of the player invisible.
|Fremennik Slayer Dungeon|
|Lumbridge Swamp Caves|
|Poison Waste Slayer Dungeon|
|Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon|
|God Wars Dungeon|
Gelatinous Abomination • Desert Lizard • Mogre • Harpie Bug Swarm • Killerwatt • Molanisk • Terror dog • Brine rat • Fever spider • Mutated zygomite • Cave horror • 'Rum'-pumped crab • Dust devil • Skeletal Wyvern • Jungle strykewyrm • Desert strykewyrm • Dark beast • Ice strykewyrm
Dragons and dragon-like races