Note that a Slayer level of 72 is required in order to deal damage to Skeletal Wyverns (notwithstanding the effects of a poisoned weapon). Otherwise, eating a wild pie at 67 Slayer will do, though kills will be extremely long.
Slayer Master TipEdit
"Well last time I fought skeletan wyverns I used fire spells and took them down effectively." "Skeletal wyverns are extremely dangerous, and they are hard to hit with arrows as they slip right through. To stand a good chance of surviving, you'll need some elemental shielding from their icy breath."
Higher stats are recommended because of their very high defence and ability to hit high and often. Even with a decent weapon, they may be hard to kill. It would be best to have at least:
The life point boost from adding logs to a bonfire will help greatly. The boost lasts longer when higher levelled logs are used for the bonfire, so it is adviced to use the best logs the player can to get a lifepoint boost before fighting the Skeletal Wyverns.
Skeletal wyverns have a special Dragonfire attack that cannot be protected against by Antifires or Super antifires. The only way to protect against this icy dragonfire is by wielding one of the shields below. It doesn't matter which of the shields you use, they all have the same protection against the dragonfires. Though a stronger shield may help against their normal attacks.
| ||Dragonfire shield||140||373||1050||70||1,278,853|
|Dragonfire shield (ranged)||140||373||1050||70||1,312,183|
|Dragonfire shield (magic)||140||373||1050||70||1,312,183|
Ranged: Armadyl/Dragonhide armourEdit
By far the best choice for players ranging Skeletal Wyverns is the Armadyl chestplate and Armadyl chainskirt, although black dragonhide armour will suffice. The player may then choose to add prayer bonus using a stole and Soul Wars cape / Ardougne cloak, etc. or to add accuracy and defence using an amulet of ranging, etc. A higher prayer bonus will save money on Prayer potions, while a higher Ranged bonus allows for faster kills. Using the Protect from Missiles/Deflect Missiles prayer is strongly advised.
There is also dispute as to the most effective attack style when fighting Skeletal Wyverns. Wyverns have a high resistance to stab and range, a moderate resistance to slash and a weakness to crush. Given that one of the correct shields must be worn while fighting skeletal wyverns (mentioned above) - and, that most of the powerful crush weapons, such as the chaotic maul and Dharok's greataxe, are 2-handed weapons - a crush weapon can't be used without risking heavy damage from the ice breath attack. However, with the release of goliath gloves, the player may use the gloves while using proper protective gear and still deal high amounts of damage due to the glove's special effect.
For most players, one of the above weapons will deal the fastest possible damage. Regardless of the chosen weapon, either super attack and super strength or the Extreme equivalent is advised to be drunk for the boosts. The Soul Split curse can greatly help here to keep health replenished.
The dragon mace has the slight advantage of a +5 prayer bonus and a good special attack, but in general this setup is unlikely to be effective in regards to speed or damage. It may be the best option for players with lower than level 70 Attack, who cannot wield the abyssal whip, chaotic weapons or Korasi's sword. Even with 70 or higher Attack, these weapons may still be a better choice due to the wyverns' weakness to crush. The ancient staff is the fastest of the recommended crush weapons, but also the weakest, and it also gives a slight penalty to Prayer. The obsidian mace may be enhanced by wearing a berserker necklace, but this also sacrifices some accuracy. Needless to say, a super set will be essential. Goliath gloves while wielding an elemental shield only will yield consistent high hits (500+ with Turmoil, extremes, and a slayer helmet while on a Wyvern task) that can quickly kill wyverns.
- Note that the chaotic maul is a highly effective method of killing wyverns, but involves very high risk as the player will be without protection from the wyvern's breath. Soul Split and/or Unicorn stallion are recommended if using the maul, but may still not be effective enough, as the wyvern's breath can very easily hit over 500 against players without protection. This becomes particularly dangerous if the wyvern freezes the player.
Ranged: Rune/Chaotic crossbow/Misc.Edit
Wyverns can be killed with range from a distance, causing the player to only have to worry about their ranged attacks. When using Protect from Missiles/Deflect Missiles, only half damage will be taken if you stand far enough away. The range of the Wyverns' icy breath attack is 6, while the range of their ranged attack is 7. As long as you are at least 7 spaces away ranging, you only be hit by their ranged attack. The great drawback here is that the wyverns are highly resistant to range attacks, and except for Ranged pures, killing this way will take significantly longer than when using the aforementioned melee methods. Level 80 Ranged is highly recommended, and the use of ranging potion and/or prayers such as Eagle Eye or Rigour will help in increasing the speed of the kills. It is also important to note a ranging safespot can be utilised by trapping it on one side of the entrance cave, and ranging it from there. This method can only be used if they are unaggressive.
Using Jadinko equipment (Sagaies) can also be an effective way when attacking them, as the damage and accuracy increases the farther you are from them. Bolas can be used to delay unwanting wyverns from interrupting you. This does come at the cost of long-range fighting, which will quickly make you the target of another wyvern if not at the right spot.
The Dwarf Multicannon can also be assembled and used to speed up kills, but once again the wyverns are resistant to it and the bones may no longer cover the cost of the ammo used.
Familiars and PotionsEdit
It is possible to last vast amounts of time at wyverns collecting bones with a Pack yak familiar and Soul Split. By using the Pack Yak's "Winter Storage" scrolls to deposit bones into your bank, combined with a decent weapon (for example, a chaotic longsword), Deflect Melee, and Soul Split almost all the damage done by the wyverns can be negated.
There is no perfect method to kill skeletal wyverns. Players may have to sacrifice speed for cost and vice versa. All these methods have their own advantages and disadvantages and it is really up to the player to decide which method best suits them. However high Prayer and Summoning levels are certainly extremely beneficial.
- Heal while frozen. You cannot move or attack, but can still eat food.
- While ranging, it is possible to use a safespot. The safespot is the entrance cave, you can trap it on one side and range it from there.
- If you are standing by the cave entrance, you can go through it while frozen, and simply wait safely for the effect to wear off.
- Skeletal Wyverns are not vulnerable to the effects of the salve amulet. Although they are made of bones, they are not classified as undead creatures but rather as animated bones.
- Dragon Slayer Gloves do not have any effect on Skeletal Wyverns because they are not classified as dragons (even though they drop the draconic visage).
- The antifire potion has no effect on the wyvern's ice breath attack; neither do ice gloves.
- Always bring a healing familiar, such as a Bunyip, or a Beast of Burden to carry extra food. A Pack yak and Winter Storage scrolls allows for food to be carried while drops to be banked via the scrolls.
- A bolt pouch may be useful, as the player can collect the dropped bolts in one inventory slot.
- "Walk" the Wyvern, by constantly walking through it, to get it closer to the door ensuring a close emergency exit.
- Try to find a good spot where you will only be attacked by one wyvern at a time. This prevents a second ice breath or ranged attack after you kill the one you are fighting aganist.
- If ranging wyverns and protecting against ranged, try to get as far away from the Wyvern as possible. As the Wyvern's ice breath has a shorter range than its ranged attack, it will only use its range attack, which will be completely nullified by the protection prayer, therefore negating the need to eat food. However, bring a few pieces of food in case the Wyvern near you begins to attack you after another Wyvern has been killed, as the damage stacks.
- Once they become non-aggressive, there is a safespot for rangers where they can't attack you at all. That's because their ranged attack has a shorter range than your crossbow, and if you trap them you won't get attacked.
- Cannons are allowed and will make your kills faster for the cost of less profit.
- Dreadnips can be used to speed up kills. However, this is not recommended if you are using a cannon, as the kills will often be much shorter than 30 seconds, wasting the dreadnip.
- Since there's no way to fully protect against a wyvern's atacks, it is highly recommended to utilize this fact by having Reflect and Vengence activated to end battles faster.
- Given that they are aggressive and hit quite fast, it is recommended to carry a Herbicide and Charming imp with you to save time from picking up drops.
- If you chose to bring a Beast of Burden with you, do not bring a Spirit terrorbird. They tend to attack the wyverns, causing them to quickly get killed by the wyverns.