Sinks are methods of removing items and money from the system, usually to mitigate inflation, and keep the price of items at a stable level. Various methods of acquiring raw materials, e.g. gathering skills such as Mining, Fishing, and Woodcutting exist, creates large numbers of items each day which are then supplied to the economy. Sinks are an attempt to reduce supply to keep the money and items that are being generated from creating unwanted and excess inflation.
There are 2 major types of sinks: money sinks, which remove coins from the game; and item sinks, which remove any other item.
- Bonds - require money to be converted to tradeable items
- Construction - Planks require gold to create.
- Death - players pay a "reclaim fee" to Death.
- Degradation of armour such as Barrows armour, Nex armours and Chaotic equipment - requires money to repair.
- Instances - Boss instances require gold to set up.
- Summoning - requires money spent on spirit shards and tertiary ingredients to create pouches.
- Divine charges - Requires divine energy to replenish.
- Invention - A major part of the skill involves disassembling items into various parts that are used in the skill. Augmentation also makes items un-tradeable.
- Mobilising Armies - Players must exchange raw materials and skill-related by-products to get investment points which can only be used in this activity.
- Vis wax - Requires a large number of runes and the Rune Goldberg Machine can be completed daily.
- Well of Goodwill - Both money and items can be donated, which eliminates them from the game
- Rechargeable weapons:
- Rechargeable armours:
Money sinks do not work as effectively as intended, shown by near constant inflation rates in the in-game economy:
- Players may consider training money sink skills to be wasteful and unrewarding for money spent.
- Some methods may be unpopular or only available to higher-levelled players or members.
- Changes have rendered some methods no longer effective, such as gravestones increasing the amount of time a player has to recover their items.
- Many updates Jagex have implemented have reversed many of the methods they put in previously.
- Some toll prices can be reduced or avoided through different methods.