|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Quest item||Demon Slayer|
|High alch||30 coins|
|Low alch||20 coins|
|Destroy||You can obtain another one from Gideon Bede in the Saradominist church in Varrock.|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Examine||The magical sword Silverlight. (Demon Slayer)|
Silverlight is a magical sword used in the Demon Slayer quest, which can be kept afterwards. The sword can only be obtained by completing the Trials of Body, Faith, and Mind during the quest. It is described as "a very shiny sword". This weapon cannot be made by players using the Smithing skill. If Silverlight is lost during or after the quest, it can be regained from Gideon Bede in the church north of the Varrock Museum for free. Silverlight is one of the few named swords, along with Excalibur and Kingsguard. It can be sold to the Wise Old Man for 80 coins.
Silverlight is dyed black during the course of the Shadow of the Storm quest to make Silverlight (dyed), and later becomes Darklight after killing the demon Agrith-Naar. Both Silverlight (not Black Silverlight) and Darklight can be mounted on the wall inside of a player's POH if they have a Quest Hall.
Silverlight is an extremely weak weapon when fighting non-demon monsters, with damage and accuracy equal to a Bronze longsword. However, when using the sword to fight most varieties of demon, it will gain a large accuracy increase (enough to accurately hit mid-level demons resistant to melee) and adds between 25% to 124% damage with abilities based on your melee stats and the target's defence. With auto attacks, 100% is added regardless. The scaling is given by the formula: 1.25 + ((Attack+Strength)/2-EnemyDefence*2)*0.01 The attack and strength is your base amount, unaffected by temporary boosts.
After Dimension of Disaster, Silverlight can be upgraded to cause more damage to demons, as well as be able to smash gargoyles if the quicker killing blows Slayer ability has been unlocked. The upgrade can be bought for five silver pennies in Gypsy Aris's Dimension of Disaster reward shop. The upgraded darklight will:
- Add 30% rather than 20% to base hit chance against demons
- Add between 50% to 149% rather than between 25% to 124% extra damage against demons if using abilities. Upgrade scaling formula is 1.5 + ((Attack+Strength)/2-EnemyDefence*2)*0.01
- Add 150% rather than 100% extra damage against demons if using auto-attacks
A player wielding Silverlight
Interval: 3.0 seconds
|[view] • [talk]|
The following creatures will take increased damage from Silverlight:
In 20 of the Fifth Age, a local miner named Wally Prysin used Silverlight to battle Delrith, who was about to crush Varrock, and banish him back to the Infernal Dimensions. For the next 150 years, Silverlight resided in a crypt below the church in the North-east of Varrock guarded by the spirits of those who had wielded Silverlight.
- Silverlight can be traded on RuneScape Classic.
- It is possible to keep Silverlight after Shadow of the Storm; one way to achieve this is to have Silverlight in your bank while you use another to kill Agrith-Naar. Another way is to obtain Silverlight normally from Gideon Bede, even after completing Shadow of the Storm. Also, if you have mounted your Silverlight in your Player-owned house before Shadow of the Storm, the monk at the start of the quest will exclaim and give you another one.
- In RuneScape Classic, Silverlight was sold in the Legends' Guild. This was the only way to re-obtain it at that time, and due to complaints about this, Silverlight was removed from the Legend's Guild and it was obtained from Sir Prysin but since Demon Slayer was updated it can now be retrieved from Gideon Bede.
- In RuneScape Classic, Silverlight will weaken a demon if it is used on the first hit.
- In While Guthix Sleeps, it is revealed that Movario, greatly fearful of the unnaturally powerful 'tormented demons', intends to seek out Silverlight in the event the sinister Lucien sets them on him, for "normal weapons will be only marginally useful, as the creature seemed to possess some sort of magical defence."
- Silverlight was graphically updated on 15 December 2009. Black Silverlight and its upgraded counterpart Darklight was updated along with the release of the 2009 Christmas event.
- The Silverlight copy in Varrock museum did not change in the graphic update, it still had the look of the old Silverlight. This has been fixed.
- Originally you could own more than 1 Silverlight at a time, by doing the drop trick from Sir Prysin in exchange for 500 coins at a time, However this was changed when the Demon Slayer quest was updated and Players could retrieve Silverlight from Gideon Bede. It is now impossible to do the drop trick since Silverlight now has a "Destroy" option instead of a "Drop" option.
- Due to the Demon Slayer rework, it is now possible for players who completed the original version to have two silverlights.
- If you have two silverlights in your inventory and use black mushroom ink on one, then both silverlights will disappear, but only a single darklight will be produced.