This article is about the sheep with white wool. For others uses, see Sheep (disambiguation).
|Release date||January 4 2001 (Update)|
|Location||Lumbridge, Castle Wars, Zanaris, East Ardougne, North of Monastery|
|Examine|| Normal:White and fluffy.|
North of Monastery Sheep:White and shaggy.
Sheep are mammals found throughout RuneScape. Players can use shears on most sheep to gain a piece of wool, which they can make into a ball of wool. Sheep that can be sheared appear bulkier than the ones that have been recently sheared. Sheep will sometimes try to get away from players when they are attempting to shear it. There are also talking sheep in Zanaris.
Significance of sheepEdit
Sheep are said to be the favoured race of Guthix (Although his usual symbol is a tear). In Issue 25 of the God Letters, he says: "I respect the sheep, for their purpose is essential, albeit secret. Some day the rest of you mortals might discover the true power of the sheep, innocent in appearance but essential in bearing, and realise why they shelter under my protection for the time being." It is interesting to note that sheep cannot be attacked by players. In regards to sheep, Bob the Jagex Cat states that they were the first thing Guthix brought to Gielinor, followed by cats.
Rams are located throughout Runescape. Players cannot shear them, although they can attack the rams. If they try to shear the ram, they will receive a message "That sheep looks a little too violent to shear...".
Locations of sheepEdit
- Between Hemenster and East Ardougne, behind Richard's Farming shop, there is a sheep pen with ten sheep that can be sheared and two level-2 rams that will attack you if you mistakenly try to shear them.
- South west of Falador, immediately in front of the Make-over mage's house (north of the Crafting guild), several sheep and two rams roam freely.
- North of Lumbridge, there is a farm owned by Fred the Farmer. The East of Fred the Farmer's house and garden is a sheep pen. Here there are several sheep, several black sheep, level-2 rams, and also an "odd-looking" sheep which is really a pair of penguins in a sheep disguise (see below).
- North of the Monastery/West of Edgeville There are three sheep and one ram.
- South of Varrock. There are several sheep in a pen with rams in there too. The sheep here are much more placed out than the ones in Lumbridge.
- In Zanaris. Requires completion of Lost City quest to access Zanaris.
- At the Fisher Realm, there is a pen along with 3 rams.
While having Shears in his/her inventory, a player can gather wool. Occasionally, the player may fail to do so and the sheep will back away from the player. Wool can only be gathered from sheep, not from Rams.
Sheep in questsEdit
Penguins in disguiseEdit
North-east of Lumbridge there is a sheep pen, and inside the pen there is a pair of penguins disguised as a sheep. They are an important part in the Cold War quest. The sheep is labeled "odd-looking sheep." If players attempt to shear this fake sheep, they will not get any wool and it will back away.
It later transpires that they are not sick at all, only dyed to make it appear that they were. The player must re-dye them in Mourning's Ends Part I.
The sheep near the master fairy ring in Zanaris will offer to recite a poem it composed. Occasionally, it will recite the first stanza of the poem "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll, and the nearby cow will say, "That's not even your poem, you idiotic, animated ball of wool!" and the sheep will respond, "How now foolish cow? Do you read poetry, instead of pulling a plough?" Also, The sheeps near the master fairy ring also will say "You give me a hair-cut and then expect me to talk to you? I think not!" when you attempt to talk to them after shearing them. Their chatbox in this state also has the wool still on the sheep. This has not been fixed.
- Black sheep
- Penguins disguised as a sheep
- Sick-looking sheep
- Lumbridge Sheep - Lunar spell NPC Contact