The Shadow Realm is a realm parallel to Gielinor; it is another layer over the world. Although it seems to be part of the world itself, it in some ways resembles another dimension. Players are able to see into it with the ring of visibility, and become part of it with the ghostly robes.
The Shadow Realm is featured in the The General's Shadow miniquest. During the miniquest, it is said that the Shadow Realm is a dimension in which the Mahjarrat have great control over, with the Mahjarrat General Khazard and his followers currently in the realm preparing for the next Ritual of Rejuvenation. General Khazard is confused when he sees the player walking in the Shadow Realm with the assistance of the ghostly robes, claiming that normally only dead and Mahjarrat can do so. However, despite Khazard's statement, the Shadow Realm is not linked to the realm of the dead, the latter being a separate place entirely.
Sliske is mentioned by Zemouregal, Azzanadra, and Wahisietel as being particularly skilled at reaching into the Shadow Realm, although Wahisietel claims that Sliske was better at manipulating the Shadow Realm of Freneskae.. Sliske experimented on the original six Barrows brothers within the Shadow Realm, causing them to be greatly enhanced, in addition to granting them some powers over the realm.
In the beginning of Fate of the Gods, Sliske brings the player into the Shadow Realm, which looks exactly like the normal plane of existence but with muted, darker, and greyer colours. If the player decides to leave at this point, they will retain this Shadow Realm colour scheme (while interacting with the world as usual) until they log out.
In Dishonour among Thieves, it is revealed that Sliske experimented more on the Shadow Realm, causing most of the Mahjarrat to have difficulty entering the realm, with some being completely unable to. It is also shown to have preservative properties, as Palkeera's body is well preserved when found within the realm, despite her death occurring millennia before.
- ^ a b Mod Slayer. "Missing, Presumed Death - FAQ." 18 October 2013. Recent Game Updates Forums.
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 47 - "Transcript:Grumpy mermaids and sleepy dragons.", 5, by Wahisietel. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.
- ^ Mod Osborne. Campfire:Quests & Lore. 27 June 2013.*
- ^ Ayanetka, The Book of Zaros, RuneScape. "Our god is not dead. He will rule from the Shadow Realm until he returns to destroy the usurper."
- ^ Dagroda, The Book of Zaros, RuneScape. "Remember, our god is not dead, but rules from the Shadow Realm."
- ^ Lamarinta, The Book of Zaros, RuneScape. "While the other gods exhausted themselves in war and were banished, our lord Zaros bided his time in the Shadow Realm."
|Realms and worlds|