Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Security is one of the three categories of the Rules of RuneScape, which also include Honour and Respect. The rules of this category state that players should have their personal security kept. Disobeying the Security rule includes the following:
- Asking for or providing contact information such as full names, ages, postal or email addresses, telephone numbers or bank details
- Discussing or advocating illegal activity of any kind, such as the use of illegal drugs
- Advertising other websites
|“|| Giving out your contact information in-game can put the security of your account at risk. There are some unscrupulous people out there, so, to protect your account and your privacy, it makes sense not to give your details to anyone you don't know.
Contact information includes: full name, email address, instant messenger screen names, telephone numbers, your home/work address or age.
Promoting a non-Jagex website in the forums or in-game could get you banned, even if you post the URL for your clan's site. We understand this rule may cause some inconvenience, but we want it to be impossible for people to send players to scam sites.
— Report Abuse Help - security
Asking for, or providing, personal informationEdit
You may not ask someone else for personal details, and you must not tell people what yours or anyone else's are.
What is NOT allowedEdit
- To ask someone else, or provide to someone else, the following:
- Your Full name or your family member's name
- Email address
- Instant messenger screen names
- Contact details
- Telephone number
- Home/School address
- Bank details
- To post anyone's personal contact details (including your own) on RuneScape's in-game chat or forums
Why this rule existsEdit
|“|| We have this rule in place to protect your privacy and ensure your safety. Not only may giving out your personal details affect the security of your account (as they may be used to make a false account recovery request), but it is also risky to tell people you meet over the internet your personal details.
Please remember that you do not know any of these people in real life. This is not to say that they are not as nice in real life as they act in game - they most likely are - but it's sensible to keep a safe distance from people you only know online.
Discussing or advocating illegal activity of any kind, such as the use of illegal drugsEdit
You should not discuss or advocate illegal activity of any kind.
What is NOT allowedEdit
- Advertising any non-Jagex website, other than talking about a fansite approved by Jagex
- Advertising any product
- Posting a web address, other than talking about a fansite approved by Jagex
- Advertising messenger program IDs
- Advertising IRC channels
- Giving out a link to a clan site
- Giving out a link to a fansite not approved by Jagex
Conditions fansites should abide byEdit
- The site should abide by Jagex's Terms and Conditions.
- The site should not promote any activity that is against Jagex's Rules of Conduct.
- The site should not publish an article, text or images taken from any of Jagex's websites without permission. If Jagex does give you permission, you must acknowledge the relevant site as the source, and link back to the site.
- The site should not link to or promote any adult sites, or sites that conflict with Jagex interests.
- The site should not promote any sites or information that provide or support hacking, software piracy or other illegal activities.
Why this rule existsEdit
|“||Links to sites can sometimes be dangerous to players (by leading you to sites with inappropriate content) or your computer (by downloading a virus when you go to the site). This precaution has been taken in order that no links to any sites may be advertised in-game or in the Forums, thereby protecting you and your computer.||”|
- Code of Conduct
- Update:Offence System Updated
- Account safety
- Inappropriate language or behaviour
- Rules of RuneScape[ ] at the Game Guide
- Asking for, or providing, contact information[ ] at the Game Guide
- Inappropriate language or behaviour[ ] at the Game Guide
- Advertising other websites[ ] at the Game Guide
- ^ a b Jagex. "Rules of RuneScape, Security." RuneScape Customer Support.
- ^ Jagex. "Asking for, or providing, personal information." RuneScape Customer Support.
- ^ Jagex. "Asking for, or providing, personal information, 2. What do personal details include?." RuneScape Customer Support.
- ^ Jagex. "Asking for, or providing, personal information, 1. Why do we have this rule?." RuneScape Customer Support.
- ^ a b Jagex. "Advertising websites." RuneScape Customer Support.
- ^ a b Jagex. "Advertising websites, 3. Does this rule include giving out the link to my clan/fansite?." RuneScape Customer Support.
- ^ a b Jagex. "Advertising websites, 2. Does this include messenger program IDs and IRC channels?." RuneScape Customer Support.
- ^ Jagex. "Advertising websites, 4. Do you have any conditions that you would like fansites to abide by?." RuneScape Customer Support.
- ^ Jagex. "Advertising websites, 1. Why do we have this rule?." RuneScape Customer Support.