The Second Age, also known as The Age of Zaros, is the period of time following the creation of RuneScape. It is also the 'Golden Age' of Zaros, until he was defeated by Zamorak. The Second Age spanned from the beginning of the slumber of Guthix until the betrayal of Zaros by Zamorak. Zamorak was once one of Zaros' generals, but he and a group of Mahjarrat betrayed their master.
It is believed that Zamorak stole the Staff of Armadyl and used it for the rebellion. Zamorak stabbed Zaros with the staff, but Zaros was not destroyed, and they struggled until the staff pierced them both at the same time. The power of Zaros flowed into Zamorak and he became a god. It is unclear exactly what happened to Zaros, although it was widely believed that he survived in some form or another in the Shadow Realm. This was confirmed during the events of The Temple at Senntisten. Disgraced at the tragedy, the other gods banished Zamorak. However, he soon returned and declared war.
- When Guthix went to sleep, many gods like Zaros arrived, or started appearing, on Gielinor.
- According to the Crystal of Seren, Guthix's World Gate is sealed at the Second Age, causing the Crystal seed supply to be cut off from the Elves.
- A Saradominist kingdom Hallowland with its capital Hallowvale is established in the modern Morytanis regions.
- Tumeken, Elidinis and their "children" Icthlarin and Amascut founded the Kharidian/Menaphite empire in the modern Kharidian areas.
- Zarosian empire is established. Throughout the Second Age, the empire extends.
- Zarosian empire came into a war with Kharidian empire. To save the Kharidian Empire from destruction Icthlarin brings Mahjarrat from Freneskae to Gielinor. With the help of the mahjarrat, the Kharidian empire is saved.
- Amascut's mind is warped and she becomes known as the Goddess of Destruction after witnessing the arrival of Mahjarrat to Gielinor and seeing the destruction caused by Mahjarrat.
- The Mahjarrat abandon Icthlarin and become the followers of Zaros.
- The Slayer Tower is built.
- The Zarosian Empire reaches its peak, consisting of today's Wilderness, Northern Misthalin, Northern Asgarnia and Morytania.
- Zamorak, a Mahjarrat general for Zaros at the time, orchestrates his master's downfall.
- Zamorak takes the place of Zaros as a god after his defeat, banishing Zaros in the process. He has immense fear of Zaros, as Zaros was not completely killed.
- Zamorak was banished by an unspecified "other gods", but returned as soon as cooperated to his godhood.
- The Stone of Jas was involved in either Zaros' downfall, or Zamorak's return from exile. The former is the more popular notion based on Lucien's actions in the present day.
- It is believed that the Duel Arena is built in this Age.
- Guthix is apparently still in hibernation during this Age.
- A war occurred over runestones, as they were quite rare during this time period as said in Shattered Heart.
Regions by known followers during the end of the Second Age
- Guthix - During the Second Age, Guthix was sleeping. So, it is plausible that no race nor God knew of its existence.
- Zaros - Wilderness (known as Forinthry during that time), Misthalin, Asgarnia, Northern Kandarian Desert and Northern Morytania. The Zarosian Empire is similar to the Ottoman empire in the 16th and 17th century.
- Saradomin - Few locations are known for Saradomin. He may have occupied parts of Kandarin that Armadyl, the elves, gnomes and dwarves had no stake in; perhaps southern and western parts of Asgarnia. Hallowvale with the Icyene, are believed to have worshipped Saradomin; and Entrana, where, according to the monks, he came to Gielinor.
- Armadyl - Assumed to be many Kandarin areas, due to Kandarin being the location of the Temple of Ikov and some other Armadyl sites.
- Seren - Tirannwn, and northern areas of Kandarin. Some believe they reached as far as what we now call Edgeville due to an examine (on the ruins) that was removed in the graphical update.
- Desert Pantheon - Southern parts of Kharidian Desert.
- Bandos - Bandos came to Gielinor during the Third Age, some years after the beginning of the God Wars. So, in the Second Age, there aren't any domains for Bandos. The Bandos races (Goblins, Ogres ,etc.) became Bandosians during the God Wars.
- Fremennik/Barbarian Gods - Fremennik Province, Northern Kandarin, as well as the Fremmenik/Lunar Sea islands.
- Karamjan Gods - Northern and western Karamja, possibly other parts of Karamja and adjacent islands.
- Marimbo - Ape Atoll.
- Unknown - Southern and Western Asgarnia, Easter Kandarin, Southern and Eastern Sea islands.