The Second Age, also known as The Age of Zaros, is the period of time following the creation of Gielinor. The Second Age spanned from the beginning of the slumber of Guthix until the betrayal of Zaros by Zamorak. Zamorak was once one of Zaros' generals, but he and his followers betrayed their master.
It is known that the Staff of Armadyl fell into the hands of Zamorak after a series of events, and it was the key to his plans to betray Zaros. During his betrayal against Zaros, Zamorak stabbed Zaros with the staff, but Zaros did not fall, and they struggled until the staff pierced them both at the same time, when a part of Zaros' power flowed via the staff into Zamorak. After that, Zamorak became insanely powerful and Zaros was banished, locked in a distant and empty realm. Soon after, Zamorak found the Stone of Jas and used it to finally achieve godhood. The other gods, perplexed at the tragedy, banished Zamorak from Gielinor. However, he soon returned, with an army behind him so big that he could dominate Gielinor, and declared war against all the other gods, starting the God Wars.
Major events Edit
- When Guthix entered his slumber, many gods arrived, or started appearing, on Gielinor.
- According to the Crystal of Seren, Guthix's World Gate was sealed during the Second Age, causing the Crystal seed supply to be cut off from the Elves.
- Tumeken, Elidinis and their children, Icthlarin and Amascut, founded the Kharidian/Menaphite empire in the modern Kharidian areas.
- Zarosian Empire is established and immediately starts annexing territory. Throughout the Second Age, the empire extends rapidly through war and eventually becomes the largest and the mightiest empire of Gielinor.
- Zarosian Empire goes to war with the Kharidian empire. Icthlarin brings the Mahjarrat to Gielinor, and their deployment successfully defends the Kharidian Empire and drives out the Zarosan armies, winning the Kharidian-Zarosian War.
- Amascut's mind is warped and she becomes known as the Goddess of Destruction after witnessing the Mahjarrat the destruction they caused.
- At some point, Zaros discovers the race that would come to be known as the Dragon Riders, and brings them from their world to Gielinor, where they become some of his most prominent and feared followers. However, due to their infertility - which remains uncured by Zaros - they are eventually depleted to only five in number by the time of Zamorak's betrayal.
- The Saradominist kingdom Hallowland with its capital Hallowvale is established in the modern Morytania region.
- The Mahjarrat abandon Icthlarin and become the followers of Zaros, making his already considerable military all but unstoppable.
- Gods and their empires make a pact that if any of their empires are attacked by the Zarosian Empire then an allience of Gods will declare war on Zaros. Unable to a defeat combined coalition of gods, Zarosian aggression is checked and a cold war ensues.
- The Slayer Tower is built by General Viggora
- The Zarosian Empire reaches its peak, consisting of today's Wilderness, Northern Misthalin, Northern Asgarnia and Northern Morytania.
- Zamorak, a Zarosian general at the time, orchestrates his master's downfall.
- Zamorak becomes a god shortly after Zaros' defeat.
- Zamorak is banished by the other gods, but soon returns with a large and powerful army behind him, declaring war against the other gods.
- It is believed that the Duel Arena is built sometime during this Age.
- Guthix is still in hibernation during this Age.
Regions by known followers during the end of the Second Age Edit
- Guthix - During the Second Age, Guthix was sleeping and many gods were active in Gielinor, so he had few followers.
- Zaros - Wilderness (known as Forinthry during that time), Misthalin, Asgarnia, Northern Kandarian Desert and Northern Morytania was under his control. The Zarosian Empire was the by far the largest and the mightiest by the end of the Age.
- Saradomin - Few locations are known for Saradomin. The mighty Hallowland with the Icyene, worshiped Saradomin; and Entrana, where, according to his monks, he arrived.
- Armadyl - Assumed to be many Kandarin areas, due to Kandarin being the location of the Temple of Ikov and some other Armadyl sites. Armadyl likely had citadels in the sky at this time (these citadels could be the originals of the Clan citadels).
- Seren - Tirannwn, and northern areas of Kandarin. Was mostly isolationist outside her territories.
- Desert Pantheon - Both Northern and Southern parts of Kharidian Desert, though by the end of the Second Age, North Kandarin has became a cutural melting pot with both Zarosian and Saradomian worship widespread.
- Bandos - Bandos came to Gielinor during the Third Age, some years after the beginning of the God Wars. So, in the Second Age, there aren't any domains for Bandos. The Bandos races (Goblins, Ogres, etc.) did not exist in Gielinor at this time as well.
- Fremennik/Barbarian Gods - Fremennik Province, Northern Kandarin, as well as the Fremmenik/Lunar Sea islands.
- Karamjan Gods - Northern and western Karamja, possibly other parts of Karamja and adjacent islands.
- Marimbo - Ape Atoll.
- Unknown - Southern and Western Asgarnia, Eastern Kandarin, Southern and Eastern Sea islands.