|Release date||18 March 2002 (Update)|
|High Alch||1 coin|
|Low Alch||0 coins|
|Store price|| 5 coins|
|Exchange price||429 coins (info)|
|Examine||Slightly damp seaweed.|
Seaweed is a key ingredient in making molten glass, although it must first be cooked into soda ash if the player is not using the Lunar spell Superglass Make. Using seaweed on a range or fire will cook it into the Soda ash. Burning seaweed into soda ash does not generate any Crafting or Cooking experience unless you wield (or have in Inventory) the Dwarven army axe, then cooking it into soda ash yields 3 experience per seaweed. A pestle and mortar can be used on seaweed to create ground seaweed, which has no use aside from making fish food, and awards the player with 1 Cooking experience.
20 seaweed are a possible prize from the Squeal of Fortune. When choosing the option to convert this prize to coins, players receive 500 coins during the Double Cash period, implying that normally they would be converted to 250 coins, which is 8,330 less than selling them on the Grand Exchange.
Seaweed can be found in several places, along shorelines and sometimes rivers. Some locations are:
- Karamja, Brimhaven area. The western and eastern shores have seaweed, as does the southern shore of the inlet separating Musa Point from the main mass of Karamja. Both banks of the river that flows through Shilo Village also have seaweed. (Since this watercourse has a waterfall, it is more likely a river than an inlet of the sea.)
- North-western Entrana. (Near the Dangerous Cave) 10 pieces, 8 of which are reachable and 2 are too far out in the water to pick up normally.
- Northern Fremennik Province, in the Rock Crab area north-west of the entrance to Keldagrim. This area has 9 seaweed spawns and is reccomended. With a full inventory of seaweed nets, one can make a rather large profit. The area does not have a bank within convenient walking distance, but using Fairy rings allows fairly quick access between this area (coordinate DKS) and the bank at Zanaris. (Players must complete at least part of the quest A Fairy Tale Part II to have full access to the fairy rings.)
- North-eastern corner in Piscatoris Fishing Colony. There are two nets with seaweed.
- Although not technically free, the purchase price in the section below is so low that it might as well be free, considering the Grand Exchange price.
Seaweed is available as a drop from monsters. For example, Rock Crabs drop either seaweed or noted seaweed.
Seaweed can be bought from Arhein in Catherby for 2 coins each. Arhein does not stock the seaweed in his shop; instead, players must choose to talk to Arhein and use the prompt: "Can I buy some seaweed?". Arhein will only sell 80 seaweed per day. He sells the seaweed noted. There is both a range and a bank near Arhein, which is quite convenient for rapidly turning the seaweed into Soda ash.
Additionally, players may be able to purchase seaweed on the Grand Exchange, or by trading with another player.
Players may acquire seaweed by catching it in a big net while fishing at a net fishing spot.
Ten seaweed can be stored in a Seaweed net.
Making Money Using SeaweedEdit
Seaweed is very commonly used for making money. Examples would include:
- Buying 80 Seaweed a day at Catherby from Arhein for 2gp each and selling them in the G.E. for a total profit of 34,160. This will usually sell quickly on the Grand Exchange.
- Catching Seaweed using a Big fishing net in certain fishing spots around RuneScape that are close to a bank, such as Catherby.
- Log onto a high volume world. Bring 27 seaweed nets to Northern Fremennik Province, in the Rock Crab area north-west of the entrance to Keldagrim. Collecting seaweed here is very fast. In about 15 minutes, you can get 27 full (10) nets of seaweed. That's 270 seaweed in under 15 minutes!
Dropping monsters Edit
Levels 1 to 74 Edit
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Dagannoth (Lighthouse) 74, 92 10(noted) Common Baby impling N/A (hunter) 1 Uncommon Giant lobster 45, 60 ? Uncommon Ice troll runt 74 4–10 (noted) Uncommon Mogre 60 4–8 (noted) Uncommon Sea snake hatchling 62 4, 5 Uncommon
Levels 75 and above Edit
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Aquanite 114 3–6 (noted) Common Dagannoth (Chaos Tunnels) 88 2–10 Common Rock Crab 102 1–5 (noted) Common Dagannoth (Lighthouse) 74, 92 10(noted) Common Ice troll male 82 10+ (noted) Common Dagannoth (Waterbirth Island) 88, 90 10 Uncommon Rock lobster 127 4 Uncommon Sea snake young 90 5 (un–noted) Uncommon Waterfiend 115, 134 10–29 (noted) Uncommon Ice troll female 82 4–10 (noted) Uncommon