|Location on World Map|
The Sanguinesti region (pronounced "Sang-gwin-nest-ee") is a large area found in South-east Morytania. The main cities in this place are noted as being Darkmeyer, which is in the north of the region, and where the ruling vampyres live, and Meiyerditch, the sprawling ghetto humans are kept in, to the south.
Most of the region consists of settlements. The cities themselves are swarming with vampyres and the only humans in the area are farmed for blood like cattle.
Castle Drakan features in the third Myreque Quest, Darkness of Hallowvale, in which the player must sketch the castle from three different locations, so the Sanguinesti Myreque can observe the area and possibly find a way inside. The player must also fight Vanstrom Klause on the walls of this castle, though it is impossible to kill him.
The Sanguinesti Region is ruled by Lord Drakan and his family. The Vampyre juveniles are used as guards, and the Vyrewatch as a blood-harvesting police force, who also keep the populace under control.
- The name of this region is derived from 'sanguine', meaning 'bloodthirsty', from Latin 'sanguis', 'blood'.
- The legends of vampires and Dracula derive from Romanian folk stories and Romania's Vlad the Impaler.
- The name Sanguinesti means 'Blood City' and is from the Latin word for blood (sanguin) and the Romanian suffix denoting a city or town (-esti).
- In folklore, the kind of Vampires who suck blood are known as "Sanguine Vampires", sanguine of course meaning bloodthirsty, as stated above. The name may also have origins in this.
- "Vyre wall" is likely a pun on the computer security measure firewall.
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 35 - "But how do you pruh-nounce Rell-doh?", letter #Letter 4. Postbags from the Hedge. *