|Release date||30 April 2012 (Update)|
|Examine||A floating ball glowing with (current rune type) energy.|
The runesphere is an object that appears in the Runespan that can be siphoned for runes, and rune dust, and Runecrafting experience. Siphoning the runesphere requires rune essence. Each successful siphon will reward the player between one and six runes, depending on the type of rune layer the runesphere is on. When all the layers of the runesphere have been siphoned off, a ball of pure energy will be revealed. Players can hand in rune dust to the pure energy, resulting in 25 Runecrafting experience per energy. A maximum of 1,000 rune dust can be obtained each day, making the maximum amount of experience able to be obtained from the pure energy each day 25,000. Players cannot own more than 1,000 rune dust at a time. Players will still be able to get Runecrafting experience from siphoning runespheres if they own the maximum amount of rune dust.
The runesphere will slowly lose layers regardless of whether or not anyone has siphoned it and will disappear after 1 hour and 20 seconds (3620 seconds). After it disappears, a new one will spawn in 2 hours 30 minutes and 50 seconds (9050 seconds). They spawn and disappear on each world at the same time, but not necessarily the same location.
Finding the sphereEdit
When a runesphere is active in the Runespan, a message in your chatbox and an icon will appear at the top left of your screen, saying "Runesphere Active on the bottom/middle/top floor". You then can go and find the runesphere on that floor at your world. It is not always located on the floor you are currently on, so you might have to go up or down floors to find it. When you are at the correct floor you can ask the wizards to get information about the location; they will tell you which compass direction to travel to find the runesphere, but they will not provide a minimap arrow like they do for the yellow wizard.
|Layer||Level to siphon||XP Gain||Rune rewarded||Duration|
|Air||1||19||Air runes||2 minutes|
|Mind||8||20||Mind runes||2 minutes 7 seconds|
|Water||15||25.3||Water runes||2 minutes 14 seconds|
|Earth||22||28.6||Earth runes||2 minutes 21 seconds|
|Fire||29||34.8||Fire runes||2 minutes 28 seconds|
|Body||36||46.2||Body runes||2 minutes 35 seconds|
|Cosmic (m)||43||53.2||Cosmic runes||2 minutes 42 seconds|
|Chaos (m)||50||61.5||Chaos runes||2 minutes 49 seconds|
|Astral (m)||57||71.33||Astral runes||2 minutes 56 seconds|
|Nature (m)||64||87||Nature runes||3 minutes 3 seconds|
|Law (m)||71||107.5||Law runes||3 minutes 10 seconds|
|Death (m)||78||120||Death runes||3 minutes 17 seconds|
|Blood (m)||85||146.3||Blood runes||3 minutes 24 seconds|
|Soul (m)||92||213||Soul runes||3 minutes 31 seconds|
Note: these times are experimented while siphoning, as there is evidence that a layer may last longer without siphoning. It will not necessarily start with the soul layer; on lower floors it starts at lower levels.
- The runesphere can be a great source of runes for island hopping as it provides every rune in the game.
- At level 99, the best time to arrive at the runesphere is water phase, although it is possible to get 1000 dust if you start at the very beginning of mind phase. At lower levels you may benefit from other phases.
- It is often more efficient to ignore the runesphere when it is at a lower energy state as other higher nodes will give better experience rates. This does not normally apply to lower leveled players or before you have gathered 1000 rune dust.
- It is possible to stack runesphere with a daily challenge for runespan.
- Runespheres also appeared during the See the Future teaser before the Runespan release. During the duration of the event, it changed elements before fading with the rifts that the event created.
- Runespheres work in a similar manner to the Shooting Star D&D, with players removing layers, gathering a form of dust, and turning the dust in at the end for a further reward.
- Sometimes the symbols on the runesphere are inverted. For example, when the runesphere is at the cosmic stage two of the symbols are upside down and the third is the correct way up.