|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|High Alch||7,680 coins|
|Low Alch||5,120 coins|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Exchange price||7,487 coins (info)|
|Examine||A powerful hatchet.|
A Rune hatchet is a hatchet that is stronger than the Adamant hatchet and the volatile clay hatchet. It requires level 41 Woodcutting to use for Woodcutting. It is suspected to be about 25-35% faster than an adamant hatchet and 15% slower than a dragon hatchet. It is mostly used for Woodcutting, but it can be used in combat. It is the strongest hatchet available to free players. Players can make a Rune hatchet with the Smithing skill at level 86 using 1 Rune bar, giving the player 75 Smithing experience. Before the Random event update, if it was broken by an Ent, it could be fixed at Bob's Brilliant Axes in Lumbridge for 427 coins.
Players must have an Attack level of 50 to wield a Rune hatchet as a weapon and a Woodcutting level of 41 to use a rune axe to chop down trees. There used to be no level requirement to use it to chop down trees, but Jagex fixed this to prevent macros from using them from the creation of their account. This item can be bought from the Grand Exchange in north Varrock.
A player wielding a rune hatchet
|[view] • [talk]|
Dropping monsters Edit
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Kalphite Queen 200 1 Common Dagannoth Rex 156 1 Uncommon Desert strykewyrm 148 1 Uncommon Steel dragon 144 1 Uncommon Iron dragon 140 1 Rare Tree Spirit 18 1 Very rare
Before the Grand Exchange update, Rune hatchets were worth between 9,000-15,000 in the streets; however, shortly after the release of the Grand Exchange, the price of the Rune hatchet crashed down to 1,000 coins. Now it has rebounded back, up to 7,487 coins, still significantly cheaper than it used to be before the introduction of the Grand Exchange. The only hatchets that are better are the Dragon hatchet and Inferno adze, both of which are for members.
- On 1 April 2009, Jagex officially changed the names of all Woodcutting "axes" to "hatchets".
- Hatchets are typically held and used with one hand only, while axes have a longer handle and are used with two hands.
- Prior to the removal of free trade, Hatchets would lose their metal head, and you would have to re-attach them to the handle before being able to continue woodcutting. This was considered a random event designed to combat bots.
- Before the release of the Dragon hatchet, the rune hatchet could be used to cut down trees at any Woodcutting level.
- Like all hatchets and pickaxes (other than the Dragon hatchet and Dragon pickaxe), the rune hatchet appears to have a wooden handle but only a rune bar is needed to smith it.
- There is a glitch where when wielding the hatchet and cutting trees, the hatchet appears both on a players back and in their hand.
Helm • Full helmet (t) (g) • Square shield • Kiteshield (t) (g) • Chainbody • Platebody (t) (g) • Plateskirt (t) (g) • Platelegs (t) (g) • Boots(m) • Gloves(m) • Gauntlets • Defender(m) • Spikeshield • Berserker shield
|Rune god armour||
(m) stands for members only.