|Release date||1 February 2010 (Update)|
|Food||Energy from Runecrafting Altars|
|Examine|| A rune guardian from the Mage Training Arena. (Pet)
Created to protect the Mage Training Arena. (Mage Training Arena)
A Rune guardian is a pet that can be received after completing the quest Rune Mechanics. The original purpose of the Rune guardian was to protect the Mage Training Arena. Players may refuse the opportunity to own a Rune guardian.
Unlike most pets, Rune guardians need to be "revitalised" rather than fed. Revitalisation takes place when the Rune guardian is in a Runecrafting altar. Note: you must have the Rune guardian out when you enter the altar to revitalise. It can be placed in the Player-owned house menagerie, where it can also be revitalized if the room has a pet feeder. The Rune guardian has only one stage of growth and is fully grown once you get it.
A new Rune guardian can be obtained from Apprentice Clerval in the Mage Training Arena, but if you drop the Rune guardian in a non-members' world, you'll have to retrieve it by asking the owner in Taverley's pet shop about stray pets.
Currently the only way to deliberately get rid of your Rune guardian is to use the right-click "dismiss" option on your summoning icon.
As of 23 March, 2010, you can change the Rune guardian's colour by visiting any altar with exception of the Ourania Altar, and using the Rune guardian on the altar. It will change colour to a colour related to that altar. You can not change it back to a 'normal coloured' guardian, but you can put it in your Menagerie or dismiss it and then talk to Apprentice Clerval to get a new grey one. Players can use this to display their achievement of getting all the requirements to visit an altar - for example, black rune guardians require completion of Mourning's Ends Part II. It is possible to change the colour multiple times. Rune guardians are also capable of changing the colour of your infinity robes. Use your robes on an elemental altar with the rune guardian out to change them. To change them back to original colours, use them on the rune guardian. This only works on the four elemental altars (earth, air, fire, water).
|Altar||Colour||Image||Chat head||Examine Text|
|None||Normal - grey||A rune guardian from the Mage Training Arena.|
|Air altar||White||An Air Altar rune guardian from the Mage Training Arena.|
|Mind altar||Orange||A Mind Altar rune guardian from the Mage Training Arena.|
|Water altar||Indigo||A Water Altar rune guardian from the Mage Training Arena.|
|Earth altar||Brown||An Earth Altar rune guardian from the Mage Training Arena.|
|Fire altar||Red||A Fire Altar rune guardian from the Mage Training Arena.|
|Body altar||Light Blue||A Body Altar rune guardian from the Mage Training Arena.|
|Cosmic altar||Yellow||A Cosmic Altar rune guardian from the Mage Training Arena.|
|Chaos altar||Gold||A Chaos Altar rune guardian from the Mage Training Arena.|
|Astral altar||Violet||An Astral Altar rune guardian from the Mage Training Arena.|
|Nature altar||Green||A Nature Altar rune guardian from the Mage Training Arena.|
|Law altar||Blue||A Law Altar rune guardian from the Mage Training Arena.|
|Death altar||Black||A Death Altar rune guardian from the Mage Training Arena.|
|Blood altar||Crimson||A Blood Altar rune guardian from the Mage Training Arena.|
|Soul altar||Blue||A Soul Altar rune guardian from the Mage Training Arena.|
Note: Dialogue does not change with the colours
- When asked for help with combat, the Rune guardian says, "You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the bongos." This is a reference to a line said by The Sphinx in the movie "Mystery Men".
- The player will then reply with "I thought it was penguins that played bongos." This is a reference to Ping & Pong. This only works if the quests involving these penguins have been completed.
- Another of the Rune guardian's responses, "He who questions training only trains himself in asking questions", is a direct quote from The Sphinx in "Mystery Men".
- When using the "Talk-to" option, the Rune guardian sometimes says "Have you ever thought that, whenever you examine an item, that item is also examining you?" This is a possible reference to a quote by Friedrich Nietzsche -- "when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you."
- It is possible to store one of every kind of rune guardian inside a POH menagerie by colouring one, storing it, and then returning to Clerval for a new one.
- If you talk to the Entrance Guardian with the Rune guardian out, it will comment on your success in making one and speak to it.
- When used on a runecrafting altar, it will float above it and the player will get the message "You hold the rune guardian to the altar and feel the magic changing its essence."
- If you feed your pets at your Menagerie, it also feeds the Rune guardian, which is supposed to be required to be fed at a Rune altar.
- Although the rune guardian is revitalized by being near a rune altar, it will still get hungry if you stand near one.
- Even though the Rune guardian changes colour at every single other runecrafting altar there is, if you use on the Ourania Runecrafting Altar, nothing happens.
- If you drop a rune guardian on a non-members world, it will be dropped on the floor like an item. While it is on the ground, it looks like a disembodied rune guardian head.
|Miscellaneous||Quick guide • Transcript|