Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Release||15 June 2015 (Update)|
|Its scales seem to be fused with rune metal.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|252 / 168 / 84|
|4 ticks (2.4s)|
Rune dragons are metal dragons that can be found on Mount Firewake, in Kethsi. Ritual of the Mahjarrat and Fate of the Gods are required to access the dragons, and they are accessible through the World Gate. They won the first RuneLabs poll, alongside adamant dragons, and were first announced in the June 2015 Behind the Scenes.
Rune dragons are found in the remains of Mount Firewake, where the Kethsians kept the Stone of Jas, until it was overused and awakened the Dragonkin. Also located in this area is the laboratory of the Dactyl Forcae, a disciple of Kerapac that created the adamant and rune dragons.
Upon death, players' gravestones spawn near the World Gate.
Rune dragons have a total of three phases that must be completed with each kill, with the first phase requiring the use of dragonbane bolts or arrows in order to break through their metallic armour and with the second being unreachable with melee weapons.
In addition to magic and melee attacks, rune dragons use a very powerful dragonfire attack during their second phase that cannot be completely blocked even by a Dragonfire shield or Super antifire potions; however, full protection reduces the damage to around 450. Their ranged attack freezes the player for one second.
During each phase, be careful of dealing too much damage past each threshold. If you deal damage that goes past the threshold, the rune dragon will automatically start the next phase, but will not lose any life points from your attack(s).
- Starts with 68,250 life points
- Dragonbane ammunition is essential on this phase, as all other attacks, including those of familiars, deal dramatically reduced damage.
- Starts with 45,045 life points. Any attacks during the transition will be reduced to 10% damage. 
- The dragon begins flying, during which time it is immune to melee attacks. Dragonbane is no longer required to deal full damage. In addition, it stops using melee attacks and replaces its standard dragonfire attack with the enhanced version.
- Throughout this phase, the rune dragon may breathe a bright blue plume of enhanced dragonfire onto your character, dealing magic damage. This attack still deals a portion of its full damage even if the player is protected by a super anti-fire or wyrmfire potion (a minimum of 425 magic damage). However, if the player is far enough from the dragon, a small cloud appears under the player indicating the enhanced dragonfire is being used and can be avoided by moving away from it.
- Starts with 22,522 life points. Any attacks during the transition will be reduced to 10% damage. 
- The rune dragon gains a blue aura about its head crest after landing, indicative of this phase beginning.
- The dragon lands, making melee possible again. It gets stronger with every attack, so killing it quickly is important.
- The dragon stops using enhanced dragonfire and instead use standard dragonfire. It also starts using its melee attacks again.
|Rune dragon bones||1||Always||12,894|
|Represents a 90% confidence range.|
Based on a sample of 1,190 kills.
4 charms are dropped at a time.
Add data to the log
|Runite ore||4 (noted)||Common||44,680|
|Runite bolts (unf)||40||Common||23,080|
|Rune bar||3 (noted)||Common||42,324|
|Magic logs||30 (noted)||Uncommon||20,040|
|Uncut dragonstone||2 (noted)||Uncommon||24,992|
|Black dragonhide||9 (noted)||Uncommon||33,246|
|Onyx bolt tips||8||Uncommon||56,472|
|Prayer potion (3)||3||Uncommon||7,428|
|Rare drop table||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Steadfast scale||1||Rare[d 1]||25,072,688|
|Glaiven wing-tip||1||Rare[d 1]||23,199,783|
|Ragefire gland||1||Rare[d 1]||23,613,618|
|Forcae's journal page||1||Uncommon[d 2]||Not sold|
|Clue scroll (hard)||1||Uncommon||Not sold|
|Clue scroll (elite)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Kethsi ring||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Court summons||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- ^ a b c 1/512 drop chance, while on Slayer task only
- ^ 1/20 drop chance. Continues to be dropped until all 10 pages are obtained.
Rare drop tableEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
A ring of wealth, luck potion or collector's insignia are not required to access the table.
|Show/hide rare drop table|
|Uncut diamond||45–55 (noted)||Rare||178,515–218,185|
|Loop half of a key||1||Common||17,376|
|Tooth half of a key||1||Common||24,187|
|Uncut dragonstone||45–55 (noted)||Rare||562,320–687,280|
|Rune platebody||15–25 (noted)||Rare||566,010–943,350|
|Shield left half||1||Rare||64,216|
|Onyx bolts||135–165||Very rare||1,043,415–1,275,285|
|Vecna skull||1||Very rare||77,794|
|Water talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||400,530–505,284|
|Earth talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||113,165–142,762|
|Fire talisman||25–35 (noted)||Rare||39,150–54,810|
|Raw lobster||135–165 (noted)||Common||14,715–17,985|
|Raw shark||225–275 (noted)||Uncommon||229,275–280,225|
|Big bones||72–90 (noted)||Uncommon||25,344–31,680|
|Dragon bones||180–220 (noted)||Rare||292,500–357,500|
|Gold ore||90–110 (noted)||Common||13,050–15,950|
|Adamantite ore||180–220 (noted)||Uncommon||280,800–343,200|
|Adamant bar||14–16 (noted)||Common||33,278–38,032|
|Adamant bar||135–165 (noted)||Rare||320,895–392,205|
|Runite ore||90–110 (noted)||Rare||1,005,300–1,228,700|
|Rune bar||3 (noted)||Common||42,324|
|Rune bar||45–55 (noted)||Rare||634,860–775,940|
|Grimy torstol||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||387,450–473,550|
|Grimy snapdragon||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||367,290–448,910|
|Super restore (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||232,920–284,680|
|Prayer potion (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||166,050–202,950|
|Dwarf weed seed||14–16||Uncommon||8,890–10,160|
|Palm tree seed||10||Rare||1,793,180|
|Molten glass||45–55 (noted)||Common||7,920–9,680|
|Soft clay||450–550 (noted)||Uncommon||165,150–201,850|
|Yew logs||675–825 (noted)||Rare||129,600–158,400|
|Teak plank||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||34,065–41,635|
|Mahogany plank||270–330 (noted)||Rare||573,750–701,250|
|Brawling gloves (Melee)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Magic)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Ranged)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Agility)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Cooking)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (FM)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Fishing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Hunter)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Mining)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Prayer)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Smithing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Thieving)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (WC)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold|
- Upon release, there was a bug that caused Rune Dragons to build up their rage outside of combat, due to players leaving combat during the 3rd phase. This caused them to easily kill players in a single hit. This bug was patched the following day.
- There is currently a glitch where damage from a dwarf multicannon deals full damage for phase one of the fight, even though dragonbane ammo is required in order to harm them.
- On release, rune dragons were aggressive and had less spawns. With the Patch Notes update on 22 June 2015, several changes were implemented, such as increased experience, tolerance towards players, more spawns and reduced damage from their enhanced dragonfire.
- For a while, rune dragons' phase transition was bugged. As the dragon had to reach a specific "set" of life points to move to the next phase, overhitting the mark would result in the rune dragon healing all lost health to the specific health mark (e.g if the rune dragon had 46,000 life points and was hit by a Tuska's Wrath on task, it would have 34,000 hipoints; the next hit would result in its health returning to 45,050 life points). In addition, the rune dragon could not be attacked during phase transition. This was changed on 22 August 2016 due to player complaints as other monsters that had a similar mechanic did not have this problem.
- ^ Mod Osborne. RuneScape's RuneLabs #2 (video). YouTube. 13 March 2015.*
- ^ a b Jagex. Patch Notes | 22/08. RuneScape Official Forums. 22 August 2016. "Made changes to rune dragons' phase transitions to allow players to continue attacking throughout. Damage that overshoots the lifepoint thresholds will no longer be healed back, but that hit, and hits during transition, are reduced to 10% power."
- ^ Mod Stu. Isn't this outfit a little *too* rare?. RuneScape subreddit. 7 December 2015. "... level 90 boot upgrades are 1 in 512 from rune dragons (always on elite, task-only on regular)."*