- RuneScape uses the British convention for floor numbering: Ground floor, first floor, second floor, etc.
|Rune Mysteries and Rune Memories. This article is kept for historical purposes.|
|Release date||1 December 2003 (Update)|
Rune Mysteries is mostly important for unlocking the ability to mine essence for the Runecrafting skill. With proper teleportation methods, this quest is very easy and short, but for many new non-members without teleports, this quest can be very "annoying", seeing that you run back and forth a lot.
|“|| Recent research at the Wizards' Tower has found a way to create runes for the first time in centuries.
Assist the head wizard, Sedridor, in his research and he may teach you these secrets too...
|Start point|| |
Lumbridge Castle. Go to the 1st floor[ and talk to ]Duke Horacio.
|Length||Short (5 - 20 mins, Depending on your choice of teleportation)|
|Requirements||None, but Teleport to Varrock spells would make the journey considerably faster|
|Items required||Items from the toolbelt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added. |
|Enemies to defeat||None|
To start this quest, talk to Duke Horacio, who is on the first floor of Lumbridge Castle, and ask him for a quest. He will give you a strange talisman, and asks you to take it to the head wizard of the Wizards' Tower for identification. Exit the castle, and go to the Wizards' Tower, which is south-west of the Castle and south of Draynor Village, and go meet the head wizard.
Look for the wizard Sedridor in the basement and then talk to him. He will confirm to be the head wizard and take the talisman given by Duke Horacio before giving you a research package, which you have to deliver to rune expert Aubury in Varrock. Aubury lives south of Varrock's east bank where he has his own Rune Shop.
Passionate About RunesEdit
Getting There: From the Wizards' Tower, you can use the Varrock Teleport to greatly shorten the trip, as it is a long walk from the Tower to Varrock. Alternatively, you can use the Lumbridge Teleport, then use a canoe to Varrock, (if you have a level 12 woodcutting) or the Varrock Lodestone.
Go to Aubury's Rune Shop and talk to Aubury. He'll want you to deliver some notes back to Wizard Sedridor and also ask you if you would like to be teleported directly to the Wizard's Tower. This teleport will bring you outside the Wizard's Tower. (He sometimes will not ask)
- 1 Quest Point
- Access to the Rune essence mine (mage NPC's like Sedridor and Aubury can teleport you there). The most common rune essence mine teleport is Aubury's in Varrock.
- Air Talisman
- 2 extra spins on the Squeal of Fortune
- 5 kudos in the Varrock Museum
Required for completingEdit
- Abyss (miniquest)
- The Lost Tribe
- Lunar Diplomacy
- One Small Favour
- Rune Mechanics
- What Lies Below
- Varrock Tasks
- Karamja Tasks:
- Lumbridge and Draynor Tasks:
- Falador Tasks:
- Ardougne Tasks:
- It's possible to train Runecrafting without actually completing this quest, but you can't mine Rune Essence. This is easier because of the introduction of the Grand Exchange, because you can trade rune essence or pure essence without having to have completed the quest. Methods of training include Runespan, Runecrafting during Dungeoneering or buying essence and then runecrafting at altars.
- After completing the quest, if you talk to Juna, your character will say "...So, I brought Aubury's notes to Sedridor the Head Wizard and, from then on, I was able to mine rune essence."
- Before an update, players used the drop trick to gain multiple Air talisman to make considerable amounts of money. It's now a strange talisman.
- This was the first quest released in RuneScape 2.
The Blood Pact • Cook's Assistant • The Death of Chivalry • Death Plateau • Demon Slayer • Druidic Ritual • Ernest the Chicken • Goblin Diplomacy • Gunnar's Ground • Imp Catcher • Let Them Eat Pie • Myths of the White Lands • Pirate's Treasure • The Restless Ghost • Rune Mysteries • Shield of Arrav • Stolen Hearts • Swept Away • Vampyre Slayer • Wolf Whistle • What's Mine is Yours
|Removed or significantly changed|
Italics denote that the removed quest was later made into a miniquest.