|Rocks||4 Rune/Pure Essence|
|Requirements||None if you use the Burthorpe mine, otherwise Rune Mysteries|
The Rune Essence mine, available to both free players and members, is the only place that players may mine for rune essence or Pure essence, apart from the Lunar Isle Mine. This mine, unlike the one located on Lunar Isle, cannot be reached manually, due to it being sealed from all access except a specific but long-forgotten spell. The Rune Essence Mine is said by Sedridor to be located in the Ice Fields of the north, rather than another world, plane or pocket dimension; however, the Tasks nevertheless designates this location as Outer Planes. Both types of essence are used in the Runecrafting skill. As of 31 January 2012 you no longer have to complete Rune Mysteries to enter the Rune Essence mine in Burthorpe. It is unknown whether this is a glitch or not. Random events are capable of accessing this mine, and are capable of teleporting themselves and others to remote locations from it.
Rune essence is a magical kind of stone which has the power to absorb magical energies in it. Runecrafters use this rune essence as a resource to create runestones, which the wizards, in turn, use to cast magic. Rune essence is a soft material which can be cut in many different shapes. The wizards of the wizards' tower used Rune essence to shape the body of the rune guardian.
The rune essence rocks were once created by the powerful stone of Jas, which was hidden by Guthix after he shaped Gielinor with it. When the stone of Jas and the rune essence were discovered by a seer of the Fremennik tribe, the stone was taken away by "those who walk a higher astral path". The rune essence rocks remained there however.
There are only two places in all of Gielinor where this very special kind of stone can be collected. One place is hidden secretly somewhere in the ice mountains in the east of Fremennik province. This mine can only be accessed by a teleport spell which only a few wizards know about. The wizards of the wizards tower use this mine to collect their rune essence.
Another place where the rune essence can be mined is found on Lunar Isle where the moonclan lives. This mine is not very known by outsiders and is mostly used by the moonclan itself.
Rune essence exists of two kinds. One kind is a normal kind of stone and can be mined by even the least experienced miners. This kind is just called "rune essence" and you can only craft low level runes with it.
The second kind is a better kind of essence. This kind is harder to mine and is used to create both high levelled and low levelled runes because it is more pure. It is called "pure essence".
Accessing the mine
There are a number of NPCs located around RuneScape that will teleport the player to the mine, after completion of the Rune Mysteries quest. Players can either talk to these NPCs and ask to go to the mine, or right click the NPC and click the "Teleport" option to go directly to the mine.
- Aubury - Located in Varrock, immediately south of the east bank. This is the most popular spot to teleport to the mine, as this location is the shortest walk away from a bank in free-to-play worlds.
- Sedridor - Located in the basement of the Wizards' Tower. This location is not recommended without a Runecrafting level of 50+ as it is a long walk to a bank from here. Although players who have completed the medium tasks in the Tasks for Lumbridge, and thus may use their ring to teleport to the cabbage patch south of Falador, may teleport and have a shorter length to run to the bank. However, for players with 50+ Runecrafting, there is a Deposit Box in the Runecrafting Guild inside the portal on the first floor, although it is debatable if it's faster than Aubury's.
- Wizard Cromperty - Located in East Ardougne, north-east of the marketplace. This location has a fairly-medium distance from a bank
- Wizard Distentor - Located in the Magic Guild in Yanille. This location is preferred by many players due to its short distance from a bank, although level 66 or higher Magic is required to enter the guild.
- Gnome Wizard Brimstail - Located in a cave in the south western corner of the Tree Gnome Stronghold. This location is not recommended as it is a long way to a bank from here.
- Lunar Isle - This mine is a completely separate location from the magical ice mountain fields and is found inside the Lunar Isle mine. This location is not recommended due to its distance from the bank and because of the Suqahs on the way to the mine. Part of the Lunar Diplomacy quest must also be completed to use the bank on Lunar Isle. After completing Lunar Diplomacy player can switch to Lunar Spells and use Lunar Home Teleport or Moonclan Teleport, if they have 69 Magic, for price of 3 spots (2 astral, 1 law and 2 earth runes)
- Carwen Essencebinder - Located in Burthorpe, south of Xuan's store.
The mine features four large essence outcrops that the player can mine from. Note that unlike other types of mining rocks in the game, multiple players can mine from the same essence rock at the same time, and a single click will fill the player's inventory with essence. There is also a teleport located around each of the rocks that will teleport the player out of the mine.
There are three types of resources that can be obtained from this area:
Free players, or members with less than level 30 mining, will mine rune essence from the outcrops. Each mined essence gives 5 mining experience. Rune essence can be used with the Runecrafting skill to craft elemental runes (air, water, earth, and fire), mind runes, and body runes.
Paying members with a mining level of 30 or higher will start mining pure essence from the mines. Pure essence can be used to create any type of rune available with the Runecrafting skill.
Along with the rune essence outcrops, there are a few dead trees around the mine. These can be useful for new players who want to train Woodcutting or Firemaking, although there are much better places throughout Runescape to do so.
- It is possible that the mine was the location of the Stone of Jas, as the Fremennik who discovered it said that when the Stone was removed, the surrounding rock transformed into rune essence, which can be seen in the mine. The excavation equipment in the mine may not only be used for mining the essence, but may have alternatively used to extract the Stone of Jas or find any clues to its location.
- The area the Mine is in was snowy, again suggesting that it was near the Fremenniks area since it was the Fremenniks that first discovered both the Stone of Jas and the Rune Essence. In Rune Mysteries, it is said that the mine is actually located in the magically closed ice fields of the north.
- Entering the mine from a members' entrance, switching to a Free world and trying to leave gives you a warning about not being able to go here on a Free server. Trying again will cause a teleport interception, bringing you to Sedridor. When RuneScape 2 was first released, doing this would crash the game instead.
- There is a glitch where the player could be teleported behind the portal in the mine making them stuck. Although, the player could simply click the portal and teleport out like normal, but most bots can not which helps identify mining bots. This glitch is uncommon but has yet to be fixed.
- All teleports, ranging from your Spellbook teleports to cabbage-ports, are perfectly functional within either of the Rune essence mines in Gielinor, though only the teleport spells of one of five known wizards (or free-standing essence mine on the lunar isle) can allow you direct access to them.
- Back around 2005-2006, if you went into the far north-west corner of the mine, you could see some grass and a tree at the edge of the minimap. This was later fixed, although it is now possible to see it using the orb of oculus. If looked at now, west of the north-west portal using the orb the Air Runecrafting altar can be seen. To the south of the mine is a snowy area with a small body of water.
- With the Barbarian Assault improvements update came another hidden update, showing even more deep cracks in the four rocks. The rocks even looked a bit lopsided. The rock in the Lunar Isle mine were also updated to show cracks.
- The rocks from which rune essence is mined seems to resemble a wizard's hat, a three-dimensional symbol of Guthix, as he created all runes (even the essences) using the Stone of Jas.
- There are small, swirling, translucent stars at the top of each outcrop of essence.
- The mining movement in the Rune Essence mine is different than any other mines in Gielinor, except for when mining a crumbling wall in a dungeon.
- There is currently a glitch when you mine, that parts of your pickaxe disappears.
- When you get teleported to the mine, the spell casted by either: Wizard Distentor (Magic Guild), Wizard Cromperty (Northeast, East-Ardougne), Sedridor (Wizards Tower), or Aubury (Varrock magic shop) looks similar to the Curse spell rather than an ordinary teleport spell.
- There are also dead trees covered in snow that you could chop down with a hatchet.
- If you check the task list here, it will list this location as the Outer Planes.
- This is one of the few locations where you can prospect for ore. Another place where this is still possible is the Living Rock Caverns.