RuneScape Mobile is an upcoming mobile client for RuneScape and Old School RuneScape (known as Old School Mobile) announced on 17 July 2017. There will be two separate apps for the games, and the apps will be available for free on iOS and Android.
The mobile app for the main version of RuneScape is scheduled for release in mid-2018. The app for Old School RuneScape was originally slated for release in Winter 2017 but this has since been postponed to early 2018. It is easier to port Old School RuneScape to mobile due to it using a smaller engine.
Players can sign up to express their interest in joining a beta test for RuneScape Mobile. Over 150,000 players had registered their interest in the betas before 19 July 2017. The closed beta for Old School RuneScape was expected to start in Q4 2017, but this has been pushed back to January 2018.
RuneScape Mobile will allow players to play both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape on their mobile devices. It will work cross-platform with players on PC, and players will be able to play using the same characters as they do on their desktop clients.
Microtransactions will be accessible in the same way that they are on PC, and no microtransactions will be available for Old School RuneScape. Players will be able to access Solomon's General Store and purchase Treasure Hunter keys or bonds.
The apps will have suspend and resume support which will keep players logged in but idle (for as long as they would be in the desktop version) if the player switches to another app, e.g to take a phone call. Additionally, audio that is playing from other apps will continue to play while the game is open, though the player can choose to listen to the in-game music instead.
Major development on a mobile client for RuneScape began sometime between March and April 2017. Jagex decided that it was the right time to start work on a mobile client because of player lifestyle changes such as having to go to work or to college. They note that they are trying to "make the games as accessible as possible" and appeal to new players.
In May 2017, Jagex invited a number of content creators and streamers to their headquarters in Cambridge, UK. During this time, they had the opportunity to test an early build of RuneScape Mobile and their response to it was positive. In September, attendees of RuneFest 2017 had the opportunity to test the mobile client during the event.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Dolan's Twitter account.
- ^ Mod Sween. "Old School Mobile FAQ." 17-Jul-2017 14:05:49. Old School RuneScape General Forums.
- ^ a b RuneScape & Old School Mobile - Q&A. 20 July 2017.
- ^ RuneScape Mobile - Cross-Platform MMORPG - Play on phone and tablet.
- ^ Jagex. "RuneScape on Mobile – Coming Soon." RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. RuneScape's Twitter account. 7 November 2017.
- ^ Mobile at RuneFest & Highlights!. 13 October 2017. (Archived from the original on 25 October 2017.)
- ^ Jagex. RuneScape's Twitter account. 30 October 2017. (Archived from the original on 31 October 2017.)
- ^ Mod Kelpie. Incoming ColdFix & Mobile Test. 24 October 2017. (Archived from the original on 25 October 2017.)