RuneScape 3 is a large collection of new features added to the existing game, including improved graphics and audio and customisable interfaces. RuneScape 3 was released as a single massive update, not a series of updates added over time.. It was released on 22 July 2013.
RuneScape 3 was first mentioned by Mark Gerhard in a live "Botting in RuneScape" Q&A stream on the RuneScape's YouTube Channel on 9 September 2012. He suggested that micropayments, such as Squeal of Fortune, are helping to make a "war chest" (or "fighting fund"), to be able to fund large future projects. Future live streams will include discussions about RuneScape's general future, including possibilities of RuneScape 3.
On 16 November 2012, it was announced in a special Behind the Scenes that RuneScape 3 was given the name RuneScape: Next Gen. Later on 22 March, Jagex confirmed that RuneScape 3 will be released in the summer in a bonus Behind the Scenes video..
RuneScape 3 was released on 22 July 2013. HTML5 was not included within the update.
At RuneFest 3 it was revealed that HTML5 has not worked out due to performance improvements from the browsers that were expected not being released. It was also stated that a full Native code download client was being worked on for 2014 that would have the same features of HTML5 being ported across with even better graphics possible.
The following is a list of features included in the RuneScape 3 update.
- HTML5-based client, including increased draw distance, improved textures and texture filters, new graphical effects such as better lighting and various texture maps, and skyboxes. This client will still be in beta phase even when RuneScape 3 is officially released, according to a recent newspost, due to various optimisation and stability issues continually being worked on. (This has not been released with the RuneScape 3 update and will come shortly afterward)
- Improved weather effects (for places that already have them, not adding weather everywhere - skybox only)
- Customisable interfaces
- Controller support
- Improved audio
- New community website and hiscores
- Player-driven storyline featuring world events over a 3 month period.
The following are all confirmed updates that Jagex plans to add at some point, however, they were not included in the RuneScape 3 update.
- Long-term updates to Runecrafting, Fletching and other skills in relation to players making their own equipment and ammunition[ ]
- RuneTek 7 engine[ ]
Recommended system specificationsEdit
In an email sent out to registered beta players, Jagex recommended an Intel Core i5 processor with Nvidia 200 series or equivalent GPU to have the "best experience".
Jagex also responded with the following statement on the subject:
|“|| Originally you stated we needed an i5 processor and Nvidia 200 series for the best experience, but the Campfire answers said you have i5's only running the Beta on medium settings. Will 30-60fps be possible on high settings?
We have not yet really concentrated on improving performance. We have a lot of features to finish off, and we need to improve the stability of the client. We should have better performance by the time we launch. For the highest settings, though, you would need a better machine.
Once Runescape 3 went live Jagex updated the Recommended System Requirements to:
CPU: Intel i5 or AMD A6
GPU: Nvidia GTX series or AMD Radeon 5000 series
Operating System: Windows Vista or higher
Browser: Latest Google Chrome
Internet Connection: High-Speed Internet to play the game. (Dial-Up Connections are not a good idea, you WILL get massive lag from the streaming audio server.)
2013 updates connected to RuneScape 3Edit
A side-effect of porting the game to HTML5 is that the game may be playable on other devices in the future, including portable tablets and gaming consoles. Jagex has said this may be possible, assuming the device has the specs to run the game, but it is not something they are trying to accomplish at this time.
On the RuneScape Official Forum there has been much discussion on RS3, including if it would be tied to the release of other updates including HTML5 implementation. With HTML5, RuneScape is said to look, sound and run much better, improving frame rates. Jagex suggest a processor equivalent to an Intel i5 and a graphics card equal to or greater than that of the NVidia 200 series for the best experience. This will also mean it will be playable on mobile devices.
In addition to new graphics, RS3 is confirmed to include a new interface, allowing for customisation to players' needs. This new interface will be composed of Action windows, customised in the Management Interface, which can contain various interfaces. These Action windows can then be merged into a single window with tabs to choose the current window. Current Adrenaline, Lifepoints, Summoning points, and Prayer points will all be shown in their own bars over the action bar.
The main website was given a new design on the release of RS3, including Seasonal Highscores.
There will eventually be a dedicated client for the HTML5 game . However, for now there exists a workaround to create a standalone, chromeless window in Google Chrome.
- Open the game in Google Chrome;
- While on the game page (the actual page the game loads in), open the Google Chrome settings dropdown (looks like 3 horizontal lines, located at the top-right);
- Go to "Tools";
- Select "Create Application shortcuts";
- Choose where you want the shortcut to be;
- Close the Chrome window/tab where the game is being played;
- Click on the shortcut button you just created.
This will create a Google Chrome window the same size as the standalone client window; no address bar, no bookmarks bar, etc.
Other likely inclusionsEdit
Multithreading support will be added, with support for up to four cores. The current game has been said to be capable of multithreading, and that it simply has not been enabled.
- ^ a b c Jagex. "Fourth Official Live Q&A - The Future of RuneScape". 30 September 2012. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "Live Q&A with CEO Mark Gerhard & VP Daniel Clough (Original)". 9 September 2012. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "Live Q&A with CEO Mark Gerhard & VP Daniel Clough (Improved Audio)". 10 September 2012. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod William, The Runescape Team. "Behind the Scenes Video: Bonus Edition! Newspost". 22 March 2013. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "Behind the Scenes - The Bonus Edition!". 22 March 2013. RuneScape News.
- ^ The Runescape Team. "RuneScape 3 Arrives July 22nd 2013". 3 July 2013. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mark Gerhard, The Runescape Team. "Merry Christmas from Everyone at Jagex!". 24 December 2012. RuneScape News.
- ^ 
- ^ Jagex. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. RuneScape News.
- ^ http://services.runescape.com/m=rswiki/en/Campfire:RuneScape3
|Engine||Java • RuneScript • RuneTek|
|Graphics||Bloom lighting • Draw order • Graphical updates • HTML5 • Particles • The Underworld • Tweening • Z-buffering • Skyboxes|
|Other||Jagex • RuneScape • DeviousMUD • RuneScape Classic • RuneScape 2 • Old School RuneScape • RuneScape High Detail • RuneScape 3|