NPC Store Survey Edit
A complete survey of all NPC stores that exist in the game, verifying the following information:
- Independent article about store exists
- Location identified and map created showing store structure and/or location on map (both mini-map and large map of Gielinor)
- Image of the "store" as seen in-game
- NPCs identified with store (even if just store manager and assistant)... emphasis on named managers
- Detailed information about all of the items offered for sale in a table, including name, icon of item, store price, and zero player-stock price for buy back... as applicable.
- Cross-referencing stores with item pages... to identify what stores sell the item and links to the store article.
- Cross-referencing stores with articles about cities/areas where the store is located and adding a short blurb about the store in the city article with link back to the store article.
- Creating/maintaining navigation links for all of the stores and setting up store article category hierarchy.
- Noting what items can merely be purchased or what requires talking to the store manager.
Basically, I'm suggesting a huge improvement in the overall quality of the NPC store articles, and trying to conduct a game-wide survey of where everything it at that can be purchased from an NPC.
This is not restricted to just physical buildings that can be called "stores" but also NPCs that appear in different locations... and anything else that can possibly be noted as a place you can "buy" something.
In an attempt to get a grip on a project this size, I'd like to work through the map one city at a time, although participants can clearly work anywhere they feel comfortable.
I'd like some discussions about what would be some good ideas for improvement of store articles as well, any idea would be welcome here. While the content should be original, don't be timid in trying to search for information from other websites as well... but try to verify all information in-game by actually visiting the store and checking on the items.
This task is open to both F2P players and members, as there are plenty of "undocumented" stores just about everywhere that need attention.
Current cities under review Edit
- Varrock General Store
- Varrock Swordshop
- Thessalia's Fine Clothes -- Thessalia technically runs three stores, a general clothing, a base clothing makeover, and a frog-token redemption.
- Fancy Dress Shop
- Zaff's Superior Staffs! -- Zaff's battlestaff sales are a members only portion of what he sells
- Horvik's Armour Shop
- Aubury's Rune Shop
- Lowe's Archery Emporium
- Pelter's Veg Stall --
- Rogue jewellery shop -- member-only
- Varrock estate agent -- not entirely sure if independent articles about estate agent are necessary (see RS:GRAN )
- Jatix's Herblore Shop
- Gaius' Two Handed Shop
- Taverly Pet shop
- Alain the Gardener
- Pikkupstix's summoning shop
Interested RuneScape Wikians (please add your name)Edit
- Robert Horning 23:38, 14 December 2008 (UTC)
- Kudos 2 U Talk! Edit count! Contribs! 01:40, 15 December 2008 (UTC)
kytti khat 06:16, 15 December 2008 (UTC)
- Prince Joob 19:40, 15 December 2008 (UTC)
- Chicken7 >talk 14:06, 27 December 2008 (UTC)
- As long as someone helps me with my store thing. Man, NPC shops themselves are hard enough! I feel the power.
- Karis Talk to me 20:23, 22 May 2009 (UTC)
- Aria Ryuko 00:38, 19 July 2009 (UTC)
- Oil4burgers Talk 18:11, 25 August 2009 (UTC)
- 20:05, September 2, 2009 (UTC)
- --Wowbagger421 04:31, September 3, 2009 (UTC)
Please help in setting up the scope of this project. While it should be comprehensive, I certainly don't consider the guidelines to be fixed in stone. --Robert Horning 08:53, 15 December 2008 (UTC)
- So let me just make sure I understand properly. You want us to go to these stores and verify the info? Or go there and verify the info and get stock photos store photos, maps, stock amounts, prices, etc? Chicken7 >talk 14:08, 27 December 2008 (UTC)
- Anything and everything that can be used to raise the standards for what we have right now for store articles. If all you have time for is to merely verify the prices and kinds of items in the stores, that is certainly appreciated. There are some missing store articles as well, so even creating article stubs for some store articles would be appreciated. Even just hunting down what stores exist and creating red-links for them can be helpful. --Robert Horning 23:57, 27 December 2008 (UTC)
- I'm trying to work on Varrock General Store as an example of what a good quality store article ought to look like. I'm still working on it, but this seems to be at least pretty typical of what most of the better quality store articles look like. I hope that helps. --Robert Horning 19:59, 29 December 2008 (UTC)
Links and Info for PlayersEdit
I think it would be best to create a whole new special page dedicated to this project. Also, an easy access link, perhaps mentioned on the main page for the first bit after conception so that players become aware of this service and allows for easy access. It would be best, in opinion, to create this plan in a sandbox kind of setting, or just note to players that this project in under-going major reconstruction. How would we link and setup the pages to link to one another? I see it as having a main disambiguation page that offers more information then standard ones. Just opinions. Thanks and it's a great idea!!!
- I would like to set up a Style Guide, similar to the Quest style guide, that would be dedicated to this project. It is important, however, that we try to keep the discussion centralized to at least some degree or another to coordinate our efforts. I'm going to try and get something along those lines started right now. As for a "sandbox" to experiment.... I think we can work something out there too! --Robert Horning 13:04, 16 December 2008 (UTC)
Shop price table Edit
I've created a new kind of table for shops that is on the Varrock General Store page. I'd like some feed-back in terms of what other users like/hate/or simply think doesn't belong... or even want to see added. I added icons for each of the items in the shop table in order to give it a little more splash, and I am also trying to come up with some other features to tweak this page to become a good standard to compare other shop pages. I'm adding the GE price to try and give some hints to players about possible money making potentials (or lack thereof).
I'm also curious about what should be done for the shop price at a place like Grum's Gold Exchange, where all of the items are strictly player-supplied. Perhaps a special note to suggest this is the price when player stock is at one? --Robert Horning 18:01, 30 December 2008 (UTC)I like what has been done so far. When more of a format is created and a steady platform is ready I will begin to assist you that way there is consistency with all edits being made. In regards to player stocked stores, I agree that a price for 1 is best suited. Good job.
- Well, the purchase price in the player stock is the same as the median GE price, so "N/A" ought to suffice for shops with no main stock. troacctid 02:25, 14 January 2009 (UTC)
The Template:Shops is not nearly complete. Currnetly, only Robert Horning and I have contributed to it. More contributors would help.
New update - calculations?Edit
I could try to calculate the price corresponding to combat level/GE/etc. I'll use an air rune as an example.
|Battle runes (Zamorak mage)|
|Item||Stock||Price||GE Price||Related GE Prices|
|Air rune||1,000||17 coins||14 coins||Staff of air: 1,357 coins|
|Stock||(Combat+Magic)/2*GE_AirRune to nearest 200 (starting with 100 ending with 1,000)||1057 to nearest 200 = 1,000 - Correct|
|Price||GE_AirRune+(Combat/100*3) rounded up||16.55 rounded up = 17 - Correct|
Of course, to get more accurate calculations I need more data. Should I continue doing this?18:48, September 2, 2009 (UTC)
OK, this is actually still a proposal. It has been months since it was created, and I think it is time it was made official. There seems to be no opposition at all. There are also quite a few dedicated users who have offered to sign up. In a few days, I will close this proposal and will actually make it a proper WikiGuild. If you have any oppositions, please bring it up here and I will extend the discussion period.
- Support - as nom. Cheers, Chicken7 >talk 04:13, October 1, 2009 (UTC)
- Why bother? - As per my comments on the RSWP discussion of a similar nature, I fail to see the need for making something like this "official" other than to let folks know that it exists. If we use Wikipedia as a standard in relating these wikiguilds to the Wikiprojects on Wikipedia, they can be started spontaneously and be as active or inactive as the contributors to the wiki who have an interest in this topic care to put into it. IMHO there should be no need to even make a Wikiguild official, and I think the precedent of even suggesting that something like this should be sanctioned as "official" by the community is the wrong approach to take on something like this. Yes, I support this project, but I fail to see why it needs this sort of discussion. --Robert Horning 20:33, October 1, 2009 (UTC)
- Support - It seems like a very good idea, but is a huge undertaking. I think you'll need quite a few dedicated users to keep it up and running. That aside, it would make this aspect of the wiki a lot better. 13:05, April 2, 2010 (UTC)