Welcome to RuneScape:Image Maintenance, here you will find important information and tools to help you maintain the RuneScape Wiki's images. The RuneScape Wiki has over 54,470 images that require maintenance around the clock due to updates, poor quality, lack of transparency, and so on. Before you begin, please read and understand the Image and media policy. This will help make sure that all your edits abide by the policy and will not be wasted. To start working with images there are a few things you should know.
Category:Standard detail images, Category:JPEG images, Category:Dithered images, and Category:Images needing transparency are the main maintenance categories to find images that need improvement. The RuneScape Wiki's ultimate goal is to give all of our images a professional, uniform look that compliments the text information on the RuneScape Wiki.
Although our mission is to update images and keep the RuneScape Wiki's media up-to-date, this does not give you the right to replace a perfectly good image with one featuring your own character. Images should only be replaced if absolutely necessary.
Images and media policyEdit
Please be familiar with and attempt to adhere to the Images and media policy when editing existing images or uploading new images.
Regarding Concise ClarityEdit
Always where possible keep the image clearly focused on the topic matter. Images should show the entirety of what they are intended to show, in addition to showing it in sufficient detail.
In regards to Clue scroll locations, Clue scroll location images should always have the minimap included in the picture, especially for those located in the wilderness. Many readers would like to be able to quickly get to their destination spot in order to leave the wilderness. For example, if an SD image that has a minimap is replaced with an HD one that does not have a minimap, then our readers are being disserviced as the clarity of the location image has become compromised in regards to the content of the image.
To do list Edit
The following templates should be added to images needing attention.
- For a detailed explanation of each template's use, please follow the link to the template page.
- Template:Interfering combat
- Template:Inventory shadow
- Template:Cleanup image
- Template:Greater detail
- Template:Lighting detail
- Template:Ground detail
The following categories hold images that have been categorized by the above templates and need attention. Members are encouraged to make the changes that will allow them to be removed from each category.
- Category:Standard detail images - These images should be replaced with more recent images, taken after the graphics update.
- Category:Images needing transparency - These images should be made transparent.
- Category:Images needing translucency - These images should be made translucent.
- Category:JPEG images - These images should be replaced with new images saved in the PNG format.
- Category:Dithered images - These still images should be replaced with better quality PNG images. For more information about why PNG images offer better compression than GIF, read this.
- Category:Game Guide images - Editors should check to see if they can take a superior screenshot of these images on their own in-game.
- Category:GEDB images - Editors should check to see if they can take a superior screenshot of these images on their own in-game.
- Category:Images with combat interference - These images should be retaken in such a way that combat no longer interferes with the image's clarity.
- Category:Inventory images with shadows - These images should be uploaded with the shadow erased.
- Category:Images needing to be separated - These images should be separated into smaller parts.
- Category:Needs lighting detail removed - These images should have lighting detail removed in order for the image to look more accurate.
- Category:Images needing compression - These animations and still images have an abnormally large file size for their dimensions and need to be compressed better.
- Category:Obsolete images - These images should be replaced with updated versions.
Specific to animated ImagesEdit
The RuneScape Wiki has a number of animated images that will sometimes need changes that our normal templates do not cover. These templates and categories are especially suited to animations. Remember that not all animations are necessary. Try to avoid excessive animations within articles.
- Template:Anti-aliasing needed: Add the to animations requiring that are not anti-aliased
- Template:Long animation: Add to animations that are too long
- Template:Short animation: Add to animations that are choppy (i.e. too short)
- Template:Unnecessary animation: Add to animations of subjects that do not need to be animated.
- Category:Images lacking anti-aliasing: These images were taken without anti-aliasing enabled and need to be replaced with anti-aliased images.
- Category:Animations which are too long: These have extra frames at the beginning or end which makes them too long; trim or retake to be shorter.
- Category:Animations which are too short: These are hectic or choppy, retake to be smoother.
- Category:Unnecessary animations: These do not need to be animated, upload a still image (preferably retake a PNG image).
Things to avoid Edit
- Converting JPEGs to PNG (or GIF) should not be done unless the PNG is original and not derived from JPEG. If an image is originally JPEG format, then it is likely best to leave it in that format until a better original comes along. Converting JPEGs to PNG virtually always excessively increases the size of the image and does not add any quality. Therefore save time and bandwidth, leave JPEG files as JPEG unless recreating them from scratch.
- Converting low quality GIFs to PNG. GIFs that use indexed color have a significant difference in quality that will remain in a PNG copy. As with JPEG images, a new screenshot must be taken in order ensure the best quality.
- Animating things that do not need animation. This causes slower page loads and adds nothing to the article.