Administrators, or sysops, are editors who have access to technical features that help with maintenance. Those include protecting and deleting pages, blocking other editors, and undoing these actions as well. The RuneScape Wiki's practice is to grant this access to anyone who has been an active and regular contributor for a while, is familiar with and respects RuneScape Wiki policy, and is generally a known and trusted member of the community. Administrators do not have any power in-game, as they are not Jagex employees.
The community looks to administrators to perform essential housekeeping chores that require the extra access administrators are entrusted with. Among them are watching the various discussions around the wiki and carrying out the consensus of the community therein, keeping an eye on new and changed articles to swiftly delete vandalism, and meeting requests for help that require administrative access.
Administrators have the technical ability to perform the following actions:
- block and unblock users and IP addresses from editing
- protect and unprotect pages to restrict editing
- delete and restore pages and images, and their history
- hide specific revisions of any page or log item
- assign and remove the rollback, and custodian user rights
- enable Special:Protectsite when needed, according to criteria
- perform other special actions as listed at Special:ListGroupRights
Administrators also take responsibility for determining consensus in discussions, such as requests for deletion, requests for merging, and featured image nominations. While not a tool, it is still a right reserved only for administrators.
Becoming an administrator
If you have been around for a while, other users will notice your good work. If another user notices this work, they may nominate you and add your name to RuneScape:Requests for adminship. Discussion will then take place by fellow editors in order to determine if there is a consensus that you should become an administrator.
If you are granted access, we ask that you exercise care in using these functions, especially the ability to delete pages and their history, to delete images, and the ability to block users. You may benefit from reading the Administrators' reading list on Wikipedia before using any of your administrative abilities.
Help from administrators
Sometimes in the course of editing content on a wiki you need access to some of the special protected functions of an administrator even though you haven't gone through the process of becoming an administrator yet.
For most reasonable requests that will be seen by all of the administrators (instead of just on their individual talk pages), please make a request on RuneScape:Administrative requests. You can also bring up issues that may require administrator intervention, or perhaps you've simply made a whole bunch of mistakes and may need an experienced editor to help clean up a bunch of pages you've created by mistake.
- To request a page be deleted, see the instructions at RuneScape:Criteria for speedy deletion.
- To request a file (or page) be renamed, see the instructions at RuneScape:Criteria for speedy move.
- To request a vandal be blocked, report them at RuneScape:Counter-Vandalism Unit.
List of administrators
|Username||Talk page||Contributions||Log actions|
|Calebchiam (RfA)||Talk||Contributions||Log actions|
|Cqm (RfA)||Talk||Contributions||Log actions|
|Gaz Lloyd (RfA)||Talk||Contributions||Log actions|
|Karlis (RfA)||Talk||Contributions||Log actions|
- Shadowdancer had his rights removed in August 2006 due to conduct detrimental to the wiki.
- Dreadnought had his rights removed in October 2007 by consensus.
- Puremexican had his rights removed in February 2009 by consensus.
- Stinkowing had his rights removed in March 2009 by request and consensus.
- Bonziiznob had his rights removed in March 2010 by request.
- All forum admins had their rights removed when the forums were removed.
- AndorinKato had his rights removed in June 2013 by request.
- AnselaJonla had her rights removed in June 2013 by consensus.
- Dtm142 had his rights removed in December 2015 by consensus.
Administrators and bureaucrats who have been inactive for one year will have their rights removed, as decided in August 2015. However, they may request them back any time at a later date.