|Release date||1 August 2005 (Update)|
|Location(s)||Port Sarim Jail|
|Examine|| A retired highwayman.|
Richard (Rick) Turpentine is a former highwayman. To atone for his past actions, he used to give the player some coins and a random food or valuable item (i.e. kebab, ruby.) If the player ignored him, he would attack the player with a crossbow whilst taking the player's coins. He greeted the player by saying, "Greetings, milord Player!" if the player was male, or "Greetings, milady Player!" if the player was female.
If players logged out whilst Rick Turpentine was their random event, he would exclaim "What a dismal little spot this is" and disappear. Rick was one of the random events that was retired on 25 February 2009, but can still be seen in the Port Sarim Jail along with Cap'n Hand. If the player kills the Mugger in his cell, he will cheer and say 'Hahaha! Thanks!'
- Coins (up to 640)
- Spinach rolls
- Uncut gems (Sapphire, emerald, ruby, or diamond.)
- Cosmic talisman (m)
- Half of a key (m)
Having a summoned familiar that can attack (such as a Bronze Minotaur) it is possible to actually kill Rick Turpentine, but he does not drop anything and has no death animation. This also happens to the Drunken Dwarf, and Cap'n Hand random events.
- Rick Turpentine's name and career as a highwayman is probably derived from a factual character known as Richard Dick Turpin. Dick Turpin was an English highwayman in the past.
- Rick Turpentine was the only highwayman to be featured in chat, until the advent of Mega May in 2016, where the Rimmington Highwayman could briefly be spoken to after being rescued from Jed the Slaver, but this was only a temporary event.
- Rick Turpentine is only an alias for his wealth re-distribution scheme. His full name is simply Richard.
- If the player gets the court case Rick Turpentine v. The (Rich) People after he is abducted by Jed the Slaver and the Skulls, the cell where he should be is empty.