- For information on how the revenants used to patrol the Wilderness, please see Revenants (historical).
- For strategies to fight revenants on Free-to-Play worlds, visit Free-to-play Revenant hunting guide
- For strategies to fight revenants on Pay-to-Play worlds, visit Pay-to-play Revenant hunting guide
- "Rev" redirects here. For the aura, see Reverence.
Revenants are the ghostly versions of creatures slain in the God Wars, and used to be amongst the most dangerous type of monsters in RuneScape. The word revenant comes from a French and Latin word meaning "returned." They were introduced in an update on 10 December 2007, and were designed to replace player killers in the Wilderness; as such, revenants are generally much stronger than their combat levels suggest. Before 1 February 2011, Revenants could be found patrolling freely around various parts of the Wilderness, but are now found only in the Forinthry Dungeon, which is a PvP zone. These creatures are mainly killed for their valuable special drops (such as Ancient Warriors' equipment). Higher level revenants are more likely to drop these specific items. Note even though higher level revenants are more likely to drop high value items, it is still a rare drop and you should not expect to get drops often.
Revenants had become much weaker due to the EOC and could be killed by very low levels easily, even if they were lower then them. However, the popularity of Revenants have fallen down because of the Evolution of Combat's Wilderness system, because they now reside in level 38-42 Wilderness, which is impossible to teleport away with an Amulet of glory. Also, all players are instantly "skulled", which means players killing them can lose a large amount of money from a drop. Revenants also gained a massive buff on April 17 2013 which greatly increased their "healing" rate and have proper revenant healing mechanics.
OverviewEditRevenants can be found in the Forinthry Dungeon, for players brave enough to kill them and get rewarding drops. Most players choose to avoid the Forinthry Dungeon by virtue of the fact that it is still a PvP area. To minimise the risk of being killed by other players, find a world filled with friendly revenant hunters, join friend chats/clans dedicated to killing Revenants, or use different servers.
When attacking, Revenants try to exploit the weakness of your player. For example, if a player uses a Rune full helm, Magic shieldbow, Blue d'hide body, Blue d'hide chaps and Blue d'hide vambraces, it makes the player weak to melee attacks. Therefore, Revenants will attempt to use melee attacks if they are able to reach the player, otherwise they will use the same attack they used to attack the player.
Revenants will also focus on your Prayer. If a player uses melee Protection prayers, they will avoid using melee attacks for the remainder of the fight until the player takes that prayer off.
All the revenants are killed, regardless of their combat level, as most powerful PK weapons can usually kill them faster than a whip or scimitar. Their popularity has decreased now since the Wilderness is much more dangerous and their location in the Wilderness is much deeper, making the typical teleports out of the cave a little useless at their location.
During the Second Age, the Wilderness was the heart of the kingdom of the Empty Lord, Zaros. At the time, the land was prosperous and wooded, protected from his enemies by enormous military strength. However, when he was overthrown by Zamorak, the God Wars began.
The God Wars that raged across Gielinor for 4,000 years were the world's darkest hours. The races of countless civilisations were forced to extinction, and entire regions were left uninhabitable by battle. No area suffered so greatly as the Wilderness.
With Zaros removed from power, the world's other races and religious factions launched massive assaults not only on each other, but on the leaderless legions of Zaros. By the end of the God Wars, the Wilderness had suffered from so much conflict that it was permanently scarred, its former beauty forgotten.
Many of those that died in the Wars are trapped eternally in the Wilderness, their souls twisted by the evil magic and corruption that surrounds it. For a very long time, over 2,000 years later, these creatures, known now as the revenants, continued to hunt for those that enter their kingdom, doing whatever they can in their power to stop them.
Since then, the Wilderness has been recaptured and the Revenants, along with many other monsters native to the Wilderness, have been forced underground into the Forinthry Dungeon. They have been diminished and are no longer able to freeze or teleblock opponents, however they are still powerful.
List of revenantsEdit
The different types of revenants are listed below:
- When you damage a revenant enough, you will hear food sounds, this is from the revenant healing itself.
- Oddly enough, revenants can still act "aggressive" towards players even if they have used a Forinthry bracelet charge. It will only happen if the player is underneath the revenant, behind a wall, or if the revenant is moving out of cover to attack.
- Revenants have a very high wander zone when attacked, as they can teleport themselves out of the maximum of their boundaries if attacked.
- Revenants were not as aggressive before the Evolution of Combat. They would only attempt to attack the player if they were behind a wall and not engaged with combat against anyone. After the release, Revenants were made extremely aggressive towards players, even moving out of their usual wandering zones to attack the player.
- Oddly enough, a Revenant's melee and magic attack are stronger then their ranged attacks. This may be an oversight from Jagex, as before the Evolution of Combat, all the Revenant's type of attacks max hits are close to each other.
- If you poison a revenant, you will hear the "drinking a potion" sound after a few moments if the fight has still continued.
- It is unknown how revenants have gotten hold of Ancient Warrior equipment, since there is only one Ancient Warrior (one Statius, Vesta, Morrigan, Zuriel). Also it is more unusual how they have many copies of their armours, as it would be highly unlikely for the smith/crafters who made their armour to make much more of them.
- Every revenant has their own unique death, melee attack and defence animation (except the Goblins, icefiend and pyrefiend).
- Some Revenants have more/less health or max hit than their alive versions. For example, regular Hobgoblins have less health than a Revenant hobgoblin. The Revenant dragon hits higher than any chromatic or metallic dragon, rather than dragonfire from metallics, chromatics and the King Black Dragon.
- Everytime when a Revenant eats, similar to a player, they will stop attacking until the eating is done. However if you use a slow two-handed item, such as 2h swords or Godswords, they will still attack you even though they are still eating, and the Revenant mechanics does not let it attack a player if their health falls below half. This might be a glitch. The only way to stop this from happening is using fast weaponry (Dragon claws, Abyssal whip, darts, etc.)
- While attacking a Revenant, they might not retaliate back for one or two hits. This might be a glitch.
- When starting combat with a Revenant, sometimes, even if you attack them, they may go back to being idle, allowing for an extra hit. This might be a glitch.
- All revenants used to have attacks that would poison if you went above level 50 wilderness. With the release of the Forinthry Dungeon, the only revenants that can poison are the Revenant Knight and the Revenant Dragon. However, with the release of the Evolution of Combat, the poison randomly activates.
- Revenants are classified as Ghosts, so they can be used for Ghost assignments, or if better, can be used for their own type of slayer assignment (so killing a Revenant Dragon can count as both a Ghost and Dragon assignment)
- Revenants, unlike most common type boss monsters (i.e Glacors, Tormented demons, Automatons, etc.), have their own unique attack, defence and death animations.
- Revenant means "coming back" in French.
- The revenants found are mostly followers of Zamorak. It is unknown whether the Dark beasts were forced to fight for Zamorak or fought for him, since the Underground Pass has many areas that have a dark beast head/statue. For the Zamorakian revenants, they include the Revenant imp, Revenant icefiend, Revenant pyrefiend, Revenant vampyre, Revenant werewolf, Revenant hellhound, and the Revenant demon. This is approximately 65-70% of the Revenants that players can fight.
- Despite being almost extinct during the God Wars, as of now Avainsies are currently not a part of the Revenants. This is probably because since the revenants were killed in the Wilderness, it is possible the Aviansies were killed someone not in the Wilderness, since the twisted magic of the Wilderness was responsible for the revenants.
- Although players are unable to eat while stunned, Revenants are able to eat while stunned. This is most likely an oversight from Jagex.
- In Legacy of Blood, the Untainted called revenants revanni.
- Before the Evolution of Combat, Revenants would always launch a magic attack against players regardless of armor, unless the player's ranged defence was lower then their magic defence. Now, they launch range attacks against players unless they are wearing armour of any sort.
- The Revenant icefiend and Revenant pyrefiend and Revenant cyclops sound when dealt with damage and death sound was updated after the release of the Evolution of Combat.
- Due to the healing buff, if a player uses a bleed over time spell on a high level revenant (unknown if it works on werewolf and below, but does work on cyclops and above), anywhere below 50% hitpoints (such as 1% hitpoint on a Revenant dark beast), the Revenant will instantly heal to 50% or higher. It is unknown whether or not it is intended by Jagex.