|Release date||20 November 2012 (Update)|
|The next attack you receive within 6 seconds will heal you instead of harm you. Heals 50% of the incoming damage and an additional 0.5% for every shield level. Certain large Boss attacks will have their damage prevented, but will not heal.|
Click animation for full size
Resonance is a basic Defence ability. When activated, the next melee, magic, or ranged attack received by the player within 6 seconds will heal the player instead of damaging them. It does not work on most typeless damage or poison, and does not work on a minority of typed attacks. The Preparation ability can be used to reduce the cooldown of Resonance by 3 seconds for each attack received.
Resonance heals from the highest hit taken on any given tick, while the other hits deal full damage.
When damage is converted to healing by this ability, the hit will still register, but it will be reduced to 1. If the hit is meant to deal 1 damage by any means (including through the effects of Devotion), the player is not healed, the damage is still dealt, and the effect is not consumed.
Resonance does not prevent players from being stunned, but the damage associated with the stunning attack is mitigated and provides healing as expected.
The amount this ability heals depends on the tier of the shield used, with a healing percentage equal to:
where x is the level of the shield. When a defender is used, its tier is halved for this purpose. For example:
- A tier 90 shield will heal 95% of incoming damage
- A tier 1 shield will heal 50%
- A tier 90 defender will heal as if it were a tier 45 shield: 72%
Note that this ignores most damage modifiers, so the relative amount is actually higher due to defence/armour damage reduction and effects like spirit shields being ignored. Prayers and ability-induced damage reduction (such as Reflect) are not ignored, and so will reduce Resonance's healing.
For example, a 2000 hit through 20% reduction and a spirit shield will be reduced to 1120, but Resonance would heal 87.5% (50% + 0.5*75) of the original 2000, resulting in a healing of 1750 points.
This also ignores certain boss modifiers, such as Yakamaru's damage boosts. A 4000 hit from Yakamaru at maximum enrage will only heal 1000, as the x4 multiplier is also ignored. The 1 damage that passes through will be affected by the x4 multiplier, becoming 4 damage.
In most cases where defensive abilities mitigate typeless attacks, Resonance will negate the damage while providing no healing, displaying a healing hitsplat of 0. Against the following typeless damage (there may be others), Resonance will negate and heal as usual:
- Araxxor's poison
- Telos's typeless font absorption damage in the fourth phase (excluding the final hitsplat of a given font)
- Deflect damage from most sources (Mirrorback spider, deflect curses, cobweb shield)
Typeless damage Resonance will block without providing healing includes, but is not limited to:
- Any of Nomad's direct attacks
- Vorago's Vitalis-spawning orb
- Helwyr's DoT and The Twin Furies' bomb
- The vast majority of the typeless damage that Telos can inflict
- Nex: Angel of Death's instant kill pulse bomb
- Penance King's and King spawns' attacks
- Lucien's "You dare attack a god?" attack
- Normal mode K'ril Tsutsaroth's prayer smash attack
Typed damage Resonance will fail to block includes, but is not limited to:
- Melee damage taken by being in the path of a charge from Tuz, Krar, or Cormes
- The melee bleed from Nex: Angel of Death's ice prisons
- Magic red bombs summoned in Memory of Nomad
- Bomb (Pit of Trials) damage