|Release||7 February 2012 (Update)|
|High alch||0 coins|
|Low alch||0 coins|
|It can be used to make robust glass.|
Completing the quest As a First Resort is not required to mine red sandstone. However, the quest As a First Resort is required in order to melt red sandstone to create robust glass using the robust glass machine.
Mining this yields 70 experience per block, but players are only able to mine a maximum of 75 red sandstone per day, which resets at midnight UTC. Note that even though only 75 can be mined per day, there is no limit to the amount of robust glass that can be created per day. There is no level requirement to make robust glass.
|Red Sandstone Locations|
|Location||Map||Sandstone Per Day|
|Oo'glog red sandstone mine|
North of Oo'glog
|Sophanem red sandstone mine|
East of Sophanem
(Requires elite Desert tasks)
Total available daily:
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||98.9%|
It is possible to mine more than the maximum daily amount with the reward from shooting stars, which gives the player a chance of receiving double ore. Assuming the player is mining all the red sandstone available, the effect of the reward given by the shooting stars will allow the player to mine about 34 extra pieces per day. (Despite the shooting star bonus granting double ore, Varrock armour does not allow you to mine multiple pieces of red sandstone.)
The Resourceful aura can be used to slow the depletion of the rock so that additional red sandstone can be obtained per day, beyond the maximum of 50 in Oo'glog and 25 in Sophanem.
Collector's Insignia Edit
The Collector's insignia can also be used to slow the depletion of the desert red sandstone rock, however it doesn't appear to work in the Oo'glog location; this is likely a bug.
- According to Rutmir Arnhold, the walls of Oo'glog are composed of red sandstone, but the ogresses won't let anyone mine them for obvious reasons.
- Red sandstone alludes to the parallels Oo'glog has with the Australian outback, a remote, rural area in which the topsoil is red.
- On the day of release, red sandstone was tradeable, but this was changed by an update to prevent an excessive influx and a decrease in prices for flasks.
- Unlike the animation for mining concentrated ore, which continues as if no ore was mined until the player's inventory is full or the deposit is emptied, the animation for red sandstone restarts after each successful attempt.
- On 7 September 2012, the rock from which you mine was moved a few squares south.