|Release date||7 February 2012 (Update)|
|High Alch||0 coins|
|Low Alch||0 coins|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Examine||It can be used to make robust glass.|
Completing the quest As a First Resort is not required to mine red sandstone. However, the quest As a First Resort is required in order to melt red sandstone to create robust glass using the robust glass machine.
There are 2 locations where red sandstone can be found. There is a red sandstone block slightly north of Oo'glog which produces 50 blocks a day under normal circumstances. The other location is just outside the east gate of Sophanem, but requires completion of the elite Desert tasks. This location produces 25 red sandstone.
Mining this yields 70 experience per block, but players are only able to mine a maximum of 75 red sandstone per day, which resets at midnight UTC.
Note that even though only 75 can be mined per day, there is no limit to the amount of robust glass that can be created per day. There is no level requirement to make robust glass.
It is possible to mine more than the maximum daily amount with the reward from shooting stars, which gives the player a chance of receiving double ore. Assuming the player is mining all the red sandstone available, the effect of the reward given by the shooting stars will allow the player to mine up to about 34 extra pieces per day. However, the extra-ore effect of Varrock armour does not allow you to mine multiple pieces of red sandstone.
Collector's Insignia Edit
The Collector's insignia can also be used to slow the depletion of the desert red sandstone rock, however it doesn't appear to work on the Oo'glog one, this is likely a bug.
- Red sandstone alludes to the parallels Oo'glog has with the Australian outback, a remote, rural area in which the topsoil is red.
- Red sandstone is gathered at almost the same speed as concentrated gold ore.
- Beasts of burden can hold red sandstone even though it is untradeable. Other untradable items that can be stored in beasts of burden are flasks and scorpion meats.
- When red sandstone was first introduced into the game, emptying the deposit gave players a message in their chatboxes reading, "You empty the rock of sandstone. There will be some more tommorrow," with "tomorrow" spelled incorrectly. This has since been fixed.
- On the day of release, red sandstone was tradeable, but this was changed by an update to prevent an excessive influx and a decrease in prices for flasks.
- Unlike the animation for mining concentrated ore, which continues as if no ore was mined until the player's inventory is full or the deposit is emptied, the animation for red sandstone restarts after each successful attempt.
- On 7 September 2012, the rock from which you mine was moved a few squares south.
- Red Sandstone can fill up mining urns.