|Release date||11 June 2001 (Update)|
|High Alch||170 coins|
|Low Alch||113 coins|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Exchange price||272 coins (info)|
|Examine||I should try cooking this.|
A raw lobster is a type of fish that can be caught with level 40 Fishing, giving 90 experience. They are popular on free-to-play servers because they are easy to acquire, give quite a bit of Cooking experience, and also seem to be easier to catch than tuna, which are only level 35. Many people buy lobsters after they are cooked. Raw lobsters can be cooked with a Cooking level of 40 or higher. Cooking raw lobsters on a range gives 120 experience, and cooking them on a bonfire gives 132 experience. Players may accidentally burn lobsters while cooking until they reach a Cooking level of 74 (or 68 while wearing cooking gauntlets), though the chance to burn a lobster turns rare at level 60 Cooking. Burning a lobster grants no experience. Players may also use them with a pet kitten for food like other types of fish. They are one of the most common ways for players to train Cooking.
|Fishing Method||Lobster pot|
|Level at which it stops burning||74 (or 68 while wearing cooking gauntlets)|
|Experience||120 (132 on a bonfire)|
|Instructions||Use raw lobster with fire or range.|
Dropping monsters Edit
Levels 1 to 99 Edit
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Brine rat 70 10 (noted) Uncommon Sea snake young 90 1 Uncommon Sea snake hatchling 90 1 Rare Giant Sea Snake 90 1 Rare
Levels 100 and above Edit
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Dagannoth (Waterbirth Island) 112 1 Common 'Rum'-pumped crab 120 1–3 (noted) Common Aquanite 136 1–3 Common Giant Rock Crab 136 1 Common Rock lobster 142 1 Common Dagannoth (Chaos Tunnels) 112, 114 1 Uncommon Dagannoth (Lighthouse) 110, 112 1 Uncommon Waterfiend 146, 154 5–12 Uncommon
Acquiring Raw lobsters Edit
Fishing is by far the most popular way to acquire raw lobsters. Players with level 40 or higher in the Fishing skill can fish for lobsters with a lobster pot. Doing so yields 90 experience for each lobster fished. Depending on your level of fishing you get around 30,000-40,000 experience per hour.
Though it is an inefficient way to acquire a large number of raw lobsters, some monsters also drop them.
Noted raw lobsters can sometimes be found inside barrels.
- Free-to-play players can fish for lobsters on Karamja or in the north eastern corner of the Wilderness. Using Stiles to note your fish for free on the south coast of Karamja is a helpful tool for power fishing large quantities, without losing time running around.
- Pay-to-play players also have the option of fishing lobster in Catherby, Rellekka, Jatizso, and Piscatoris Fishing Colony. Players with level 68 or higher (65 or higher with a fishing potion or 63 or higher with an admiral pie) may also fish for lobsters in the Fishing Guild. Therefore it is suggested for the higher levels to fish in the Fishing Guild, which is reachable by Ardougne lodestone teleport.
2010 Price CrashEdit
Lobsters experienced a large price crash in the weeks and months following the update of 21 April 2010, which made banking lobsters much easier than before for F2P players. In the ten weeks after the update, the price of raw lobsters fell by about 40%, from around 450 coins each a few days before the update, to around 260 coins by the end of June. While the F2P community welcomed the update, it was met with very hostile reception from members (especially skillers), and protests have been held on the forums as well as at popular P2P fishing locations such as the Fishing Guild and Catherby.
The price of raw sharks was also affected, as many members switched from lobsters to sharks in the weeks following the crash. Prices for Raw Sharks fell by about 40% as well, from 1750 coins before the update to around 1000 coins by the end of June.
2011 Price CrashEdit
In the update that brought back free trade and the wilderness, there was a dramatic shift in prices across the board. Lobsters were just one but experienced a price drop to 90-150gp per lobster due to a surge of Real World Trading, even with Raw Lobsters dropping in price F2P players can still earn a higher profit from Fishing Lobsters than some other F2P skills such as cutting Yew trees.
- With the introduction of Stiles on 21 April 2010, free players can fish and bank lobsters between 3 and 4 times faster than before. This has led to a substantial increase in the supply of raw lobsters and therefore a dramatic decrease in their price.
- Lobsters are the only free-to-play fishing catch other than crayfish and pike that are never caught with any other fish. (e.g. anchovies are caught with shrimps.)
- In the earliest years of RuneScape, raw lobsters had a bright red colour that dulled to brown when cooked, contrary to real-life behavior, where raw lobsters are naturally brown and turn bright red when cooked.
- When a lobster is cooked, instead of saying "You cook the lobster." the game will say "You roast a lobster." This is the only food in the game that can be "roasted". Despite this, the raw lobster has the examine text "I should try cooking this."
|Standard fish||Minnow (raw) • Crayfish (raw) • Shrimps (raw) • Karambwanji (raw) • Sardine (raw) • Herring (raw) Anchovies (raw) • Mackerel (raw) • Trout (raw) • Cod (raw) • Pike (raw) Cooked slimy eel (raw) • Salmon (raw) • Tuna (raw) • Rainbow fish (raw) • Cave eel (raw) • Lobster (raw) • Bass (raw) • Swordfish (raw) • Monkfish (raw) • Shark (raw) Cavefish (raw) • Rocktail (raw)|
|Dungeoneering fish||Heim crab (raw) • Red-eye (raw) • Dusk eel (raw) • Giant flatfish (raw) • Short-finned eel (raw) • Web snipper (raw) • Bouldabass (raw) • Salve eel (raw) • Blue crab (raw) • Cave moray (raw) • Vile fish (raw)|
|Special fish||Goblin fish (steamed) • Lava eel (raw) • Karambwan (raw) (poison) • Sea turtle (raw) Manta ray (raw) • Tiger shark (raw) • Fury shark • Baron shark (raw) • Giant carp (raw) • Whitefish|
|Leaping fish||Leaping trout • Leaping salmon • Leaping sturgeon|
|Trophy fish||Big bass • Big swordfish • Big shark|
|Items||Swamp paste • Rope • Bailing bucket|
|Fish Rewards||Raw tuna • Raw lobster • Raw swordfish • Raw shark • Raw sea turtle • Raw manta ray • Raw tiger shark|
|Junk Rewards||Buttons • Broken staff • Broken arrow • Broken armour • Smashed glass • Old boot • Empty pot|
|Rare Rewards||Shimmering shell • Glistening shell • Shark tooth • Shark's tooth necklace|