|Release||11 June 2001 (Update)|
|High alch||170 coins|
|Low alch||113 coins|
|Exchange||108 coins (info)|
|Examine||I should try cooking this.|
A raw lobster is a type of fish that can be caught with level 40 Fishing, giving 90 experience. Raw lobsters can be cooked with a Cooking level of 40 or higher. Cooking raw lobsters on a range gives 120 experience, and cooking them on a bonfire gives 132 experience. Players may accidentally burn lobsters while cooking until they reach a Cooking level of 74 (or 64 while wearing cooking gauntlets), though the chance to burn a lobster turns rare at level 60 Cooking. Burning a lobster grants no experience. Players may also use them with a pet kitten for food like other types of fish.
|Fishing XP||90 XP|
|Tool XP||10.62 XP|
- This list was created dynamically. For help, see the FAQ.
- To force an update of this list, click here.
- For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here.
|Barrel (Viyeldi caves)||N/A||1–2||Rare|
|Dagannoth (Waterbirth Island)||N/A||1||Common|
|Giant Sea Snake||N/A||1||Rare|
|Giant rock crab||N/A||1||Common|
|Rare drop table||N/A||135–165||Uncommon|
|Sea Snake Hatchling||N/A||1||Uncommon|
|Sea Snake Young||N/A||1||Uncommon|
Acquiring Raw lobstersEdit
Fishing is by far the most popular way to acquire raw lobsters. Players with level 40 or higher in the Fishing skill can fish for lobsters with a lobster pot. Doing so yields 90 experience for each lobster fished. Depending on your level of fishing you get around 30,000-40,000 experience per hour.
Raw lobsters are on the drop tables of several monsters, such as Waterfiends, which commonly drop four noted raw lobsters. However, gathering raw lobsters via combat is inefficient and not recommended.
Raw lobsters are also featured on the rare drop table; 135 to 165 raw lobsters can be obtained in this fashion.
Noted raw lobsters can sometimes be found inside barrels.
- Free-to-play players can fish for lobsters on Karamja or in the north eastern corner of the Wilderness. Using Stiles to note your fish for free on the south coast of Karamja is a helpful tool for power fishing large quantities, without losing time running around.
- Pay-to-play players also have the option of fishing lobster in Catherby, Rellekka, and Jatizso. Players with level 68 or higher (65 or higher with a fishing potion or 63 or higher with an admiral pie) may also fish for lobsters in the Fishing Guild. Therefore it is suggested for the higher levels to fish in the Fishing Guild, which is reachable by Ardougne lodestone teleport.
2010 price crashEdit
Lobsters experienced a large price crash in the weeks and months following the update of 21 April 2010, which made banking lobsters much easier than before for F2P players. In the ten weeks after the update, the price of raw lobsters fell by about 40%, from around 450 coins each a few days before the update, to around 260 coins by the end of June. While the F2P community welcomed the update, it was met with very hostile reception from members (especially skillers), and protests have been held on the forums as well as at popular P2P fishing locations such as the Fishing Guild and Catherby.
The price of raw sharks was also affected, as many members switched from lobsters to sharks in the weeks following the crash. Prices for Raw Sharks fell by about 40% as well, from 1,750 coins before the update to around 1,000 coins by the end of June.
2011 price crashEdit
In the update that brought back free trade and the wilderness, there was a dramatic shift in prices across the board. Lobsters were just one but experienced a price drop to 90-150 coins per lobster due to a surge of Real World Trading, even with Raw Lobsters dropping in price F2P players can still earn a higher profit from Fishing Lobsters than some other F2P skills such as cutting Yew trees.
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||56.0%|
- With the introduction of Stiles on 21 April 2010, free players can fish and bank lobsters between 3 and 4 times faster than before. This has led to a substantial increase in the supply of raw lobsters and therefore a dramatic decrease in their price.
- Lobsters are the only free-to-play fishing catch other than crayfish and pike that are never caught with any other fish. (e.g. anchovies are caught with shrimps.)
- In the earliest years of RuneScape, raw lobsters had a bright red colour that dulled to brown when cooked, contrary to real-life behaviour, where raw lobsters are naturally brown and turn bright red when cooked.
- When a lobster is cooked, instead of saying "You cook the lobster." the game will say "You roast a lobster." This is the only food in the game that can be "roasted". Despite this, the raw lobster has the examine text "I should try cooking this."