|Release date||28 November 2005 (Update)|
|“|| Gertrude knows of some rat catchers in Varrock, pay her a visit and she may tell you of their whereabouts. Perhaps they could show you and your cat a few pointers about rat catching.
Enter the subterranean world of the rat catchers and discover more of your cat's true potential.
|Start point||Talk to Gertrude west of Varrock.|
|Items required||Items from the toolbelt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added. |
Note: When talking to the NPCs, you may want to wear your Amulet of Catspeak and have your cat out, as this results in more interesting conversations.
|Enemies to defeat||None|
Items for this part: Cat and if kitten, some food for itGertrude in her house west of Varrock. She will tell you to speak to Phingspet and Grimesquit; two old women who can be found just inside Varrock Sewers, near the entrance. They agree to show you tricks for your "fuzzy" if you can catch 8 rats with it.
Note: This stage takes much longer if using a kitten. Be patient as it can take up to 40 minutes to catch the 8 rats.
To catch a rat, simply right click on your cat while it's NOT in your inventory, select "Interact" and then "Chase-Vermin". It should be noted that wearing a catspeak amulet during this part causes an extra conversation to commence each time you request them to chase vermin. Thus taking it off will speed this part up considerably.
Once you have killed the eight rats, talk to the sisters again. They agree to teach your cat some tricks, and additionally show you the Varrock rat pit, used for kitten fights. Your character will then inquire about training larger cats, to which they will hand you a rat pole and redirect you to Jimmy Dazzler.
Just the TicketEdit
Jimmy Dazzler is in a house to the west of the Flying Horse Inn in the west side of East Ardougne. He needs a house cleared of all rats in an unofficial capacity so as not to tarnish his client's reputation; to do this, you will need to sneak around the house unnoticed, whilst avoiding the guards who think you are an intruder. Jimmy will give you directions to follow to the house. Click on the directions to teleport into a garden in front of the house.
You will need to make sure you don't draw the guard's attention; running permanently is advised and much patience will help greatly. Guards will not notice your cat. It is advised, however, to have your cat in your inventory at this point, as this negates the risk of having it get stuck on walls & objects, requiring you to backtrack.
There are three "save points"; upon reaching these points, any guards who see you will send you back to these points, rather than the beginning.
From the start:
- While facing North, wait until the Western guards are next to each other at the bridge, and run along the south side of the hedges directly to the west. Then run north and hide at the hedges directly west of the mansion.
- Run to the North-west corner when the guard is behind the hedges.
- Then run to the hedges directly north of the mansion.
- From here, run to a nearby trellis and climb up.
- While on the balcony, move as close as possible to a potted plant on the west and wait for the guards to move away.
- Go inside the north western bedroom to find the first rat and have your cat kill it.
- Find your way into the opposite bedroom across the hall and wait (or wait for one guard to be on the balcony and the second have its back appropriately turned to dash to the next room).
- Be patient, and when one guard disappears from sight walking on the balcony and the other has his back turned, enter the big room (south east with a ladder) with two rats and have your cat kill them.
- Go down the ladder in that room. You will find yourself in a sleeping quarter with two rats. Directly north there is a kitchen with one more rat. You have a little chat with your cat when you've caught all of the rats so don't leave before that.
NOTE: If your cat gets stuck in the wrong room, you can use the 'Call' button from the summoning menu to get it back into the same room with you.
Once you've caught all 6 rats (check by examining your rat pole), return to Jimmy Dazzler. He will give you access to the Ardougne rat pits and tell you about the next person you have to find Hooknosed Jack.
Items for this part: Cat (overgrown cat will work when fighting the King Rat.), 1 bucket of milk, 5-10 raw fish for your cat (even if you're using a fully grown cat), catspeak amulet (or cramulet after Do No Evil), four cheese, rat poison or the ingredients for it (vial, red spider eggs, and kwuarm), marrentill, unicorn horn dust.
He can be found in the fenced-in area South-east of the Varrock East bank. He will tell you about the rat infestation in a warehouse nearby. You need rat poison and he will make you some if you give him a vial, red spider eggs, and a kwuarm. (a kwuarm potion (unf) will also work.) Use the rat poison on four pieces of cheese to create poisoned cheese, then go to the warehouse south of the pub right next to Jack. Go in and climb to the top. Use your poisoned cheese on the four rat holes to poison them. The default option is to EAT the cheese, but if you attempt to you receive a dialogue stating "Umm… let me think about this one. No! That would be stupid." It is necessary to right-click and "Use" the poisoned cheese. Once you have set the poisoned cheese, go back to Hooknosed Jack.
He will tell you that his cat, Pox, ate some of the poisoned rats. Go to the Apothecary. He will ask for a cleaned marrentill herb, a unicorn horn dust, and a bucket of milk to make a special cat antipoison. Make sure you listen to all the dialogue when he returns it to you, or you will need to make another dose. Then give it to Hooknosed Jack to cure Pox.
Hooknosed Jack will then tell you that there is still one big and evil rat left. Return to the top of the warehouse. You'll see the King rat inside a room, but you won't be able to reach him yourself.
Pick up your cat and use it on the hole in wall (southern wall of the King rat's room two squares east of the ladder; lower part of the wall) to challenge the King rat. If your cat and the rat are located on the same square, run a bit north to un-trap it.
Heal your cat by using the raw food on the hole in the wall.
NOTE: If you happen to lose your cat by going down the ladder whilst your cat or kitten is fighting the king rat, logging out and logging back in should return him to you.
After the King rat is dead, return to Hooknosed Jack. He will tell you to look out for Smokin' Joe in Keldagrim.
- Items needed for this part: Cat (Overgrown Cat will work), catspeak amulet, a pot of weeds, a tinderbox (can be toolbelt)
Go to Keldagrim by using the mine carts under the Dwarven Mines or the entrance east of Rellekka or the trapdoor in the Grand Exchange (If you've never visited Keldagrim before, you MUST use the route from Rellekka. As soon as you enter the tunnel, go through the crack directly to the left of you.) and talk to Smokin' Joe east of the pickaxe shop, in the North-East of the city (to enter the city talk to the dwarven boatman which will initiate The Giant Dwarf quest). He will tell you about a nearby rat problem. The only way to get the rats out is to smoke them out, but Smokin' Joe can't do it because he smoked too much smoke.
Offer to help. Use your weeds on your pot to make a pot of weeds, then light it and use the resulting Smouldering pot on the rat hole to the right of him. Rats will come out the other side and quickly go back in. (if you have forgotten your pot, you can find one in the upper floor of the nearby bar to the south-west)
Try it again with your cat out (be sure you are wearing the catspeak amulet), and in the third attempt, it will offer to help you, stating you're doing it wrong. Accept and do it again. During a cutscene, your cat will catch the rats. Afterwards, talk to Smokin' Joe again and he will give you access to Keldagrim's rat pits and tell you about The Face.
(NOTE: If your cat disappears after the cutscene is over, logging out and logging back in will again return it to you.)
The Face and the FelkrashEdit
Items for this part: 1000+ coins [or 150 with a ring of charos (a) (50 coins with ring of charos (a) and carrying less than 1000 coins)], snake charm if you have completed The Feud and still have your snake charm. It is recommended that you bring water-skins so you do not die in the desert. Alternatively, you can wear an enchanted water tiara to avoid dying in the desert.
You can find The Face in Port Sarim, roaming around the manhole (directly north from the fishing shop). She will tell you to talk to Felkrash in the rat pits. Go down the manhole and find Felkrash. She will tell you to get rid of all of Port Sarim's vermin at once. Talk to The Face again. She will tell you about Ali the Snake Charmer in Pollnivneach.
Go to Pollnivneach in the desert south of Al Kharid, past the Shantay Pass. To save time, you can take a magic carpet ride directly there for 200 coins (100 with a ring of charos (a), or 1,000 by choosing the "fast-travel" option). Other quick ways to get to there are to use a slayer ring to get to Sumona or use a Broomstick to get close to the Shantay Pass, or, if you have completed the Love Story Quest, you can use a Pollnivneach tab.
You will find the Ali the Snake Charmer to the South of the bar. Use one coin on his money pot to get his attention. Ask him about charming other animals and he will go on to tell you that he and Felkrash had a falling-out because of Felkrash's killing of animals. Try to persuade him with the wealth option - "What if I offered you some money?". He will offer to give you directions to kill the rats for exactly one more coin than you are carrying. Refuse to give him that much by choosing "Forget about it. I don't care", then select: "Walk away slowly" followed by "Stop". He will reluctantly give you a music scroll and snake charm for 100 coins. You can charm him with the ring of charos to lower his price to 50gp.
Get your snake charm from the bank if you do not already have it with you. Back in Port Sarim, stand outside the manhole. Now read the music. (The music is the same for everyone.) Note that there are 8 notes (or positionings on the flute). Each note starting from the left corresponds to 1 page on the flute. You will only play one note per page. Jot down these notes. Now pick up the flute. Go to page 1 and select the matching note from the music. Then do page 2, etc. Note that sometimes the "<" symbol is used to indicate a higher octave option (usually page 5). Select that when appropriate. You can go back to any pages you want to ensure you have them all correctly chosen (remember to move up an octave for the 5th note). When you are sure they are all correct (8 pages - 8 notes), click on the word "PLAY". If correct, you will be taken to a cutscene of you playing the flute and the rats jumping off the dock. Talk to Felkrash to complete the quest.
- 2 Quest points
- 4,500 Experience
- Rat pole
- Able to train Overgrown Cats into Wily and Lazy cats
- The ability to name a lazy or wily cat (up to 6 letters long)
- Access to the Rat Pits
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys for use in Treasure Hunter
- 2 Hearts of Ice for use in Treasure Hunter
- The Noble Rodent
- Rat Hunt
- Bubble and Squeak (Keldagrim Rat Pits)
- Sarim's Vermin (Port Sarim Rat Pits)
- Rat a Tat Tat (Varrock Rat Pits)
- Catch Me If You Can (Ardougne Rat Pits)
Required for completingEdit
Completion of Ratcatchers is required for the following:
- Varrock Tasks: (You just need to start the quest and acquire a Rat pole)
- Medium: "With a Ten-foot Pole"
- Falador Tasks:
- Medium: "Fun For the Whole Family"
- During the Smoking Joe section of the quest your cat screams "Exterminate! Exterminate!"; this is a reference to the Daleks, one of the most infamous enemies from the long-running British television series Doctor Who.
- During the conversation with Ali the Snake Charmer he mentions his break up with Felkrash saying "It used to be about making love not war". This could be a reference to the acrimonious breakup of The Beatles and the subsequent John Lennon/Yoko Ono song, "Make Love Not War".
- There is currently a glitch where if you climb the western trellis with a rat pole equipped, part of your body will be invisible from certain angles.
- This quest could be a reference to the German legend Pied Piper of Hamelin, a man who uses a Flute to drown rats to rid the town of Hamelin of the rat infestation.
- While in the Jimmy Dazzler part of the quest, one of the guards will say "sigh, I miss Billy and Bob." Which is a reference to a cutscene in the quest Garden of Tranquillity.
- The dwarf's name 'Smokin' Joe' is likely a reference to boxing legend Joe Frazier, whose nickname was 'Smokin' Joe' Frazier.