The Rat Pits were members-only minigames that involved cats. Playing this minigame required the completion of the Ratcatchers quest. This was a "Dangerous" minigame, as cats could die here. It was announced that it would be removed from the game on March 2016 due to poor quality. It was pushed to April after significant demand and finally removed on 11 April 2016.
There were four rat pits in RuneScape. These pits were located in:
- Varrock (cats) - Hooknosed Jack
- Ardougne (kittens) - Jimmy Dazzler
- Keldagrim (overgrown cats) - Smokin' Joe
- Port Sarim (wily cats) - The Face
As lazy cats were not allowed, the player would have to train it to become wily again before it was allowed in the minigame.
Ardougne rat pits (for kittens)Edit
|At entrance: Bones (kitten) and Jimmy Dazzler (human).
Note: Northern corridor goes to the Ardougne Sewers.
Varrock rat pits (for cats)Edit
|At entrance: Pox (cat) and Hooknosed Jack (human).|
Port Sarim rat pits (for wily cats)Edit
|At entrance: Bellemorde (wily cat) and The Face (human).|
Keldagrim rat pits (for overgrown cats)Edit
|At entrance: The Beast (overgrown cat).|
What to bringEdit
- Cat (depending on the location of the rat pit; i.e. kittens for Ardougne rat pit)
- Rat pole (recommended)
- Catspeak amulet (optional, for strategy). Without the amulet, one's cat would keep the same stats and fight to its death.
A bet must be placed by both players, and must be the same for them, before the game began.
|Strategy||Increases||Decreases||Deathmatch?||When does the cat run?|
|Just be careful in there cat.||Defence and Constitution significantly.||Attack and Strength significantly.||No||Runs (loses) when its life points drops.|
|Stay in for as long as you can.||Defence and Constitution slightly.||Attack and Strength slightly.||No||Runs (loses) when its life points becomes extremely low.|
|No guts, no glory!||Attack and Strength slightly.||Defence and Constitution slightly.||Yes||The cat will not run.|
|Go berserk!||Attack and Strength significantly.||Defence and Constitution greatly.||Yes||The cat will run.|
Note: If a player was not wearing the Catspeak amulet, the cat's stats would remain unchanged and it could die, in which the player lost both the fight and the cat.
Once the bets were placed and the strategies chosen, the cats began to kill rats. The number of rats that need to be killed before a cat won depended on the type of cat. If a cat ran away or died, the owner of the cat would lose the bet. However, the cat would only be lost if it died. In the case that both cats tired out at the same amount of kills, the match was declared a draw and both cats and bets were returned to their owners.
The game only rewarded coins. There were no other rewards given, and items could not be staked.
- Bubble and Squeak - Keldagrim Rat Pits
- Catch Me If You Can - Ardougne Rat Pits
- Rat a Tat Tat - Varrock Rat Pits
- Sarim's Vermin - Port Sarim Rat Pits
- Rat traps were found near many of the rat pits. The player could attempt to pick up the traps, but doing so would also set off the trap and deal minor damage to the player. Although most traps were empty, some contained cheese that the player could take. For doing that, they would still take damage and the trap would remain on the floor.
- Each rat pit had a Rat barn, which housed the rats for the pit. Barrels of live rats were also found near some pits.
- The Keldagrim rat pits were different from the other three rat pits locations. They had a stone floor, vs. dirty floors for the others. The pub was in an enclosed room with named bartenders, vs. open bar pumps and generically named 'barmen'. The dwarf gamblers were individually named, vs. generically named 'gamblers' for the humans. The entrance to the pits only had a cat, vs. a cat and a human.
- All pubs in the rat pits, plus the Laughing Miner pub outside of the Keldagrim pits, sold beer for 2 coins and stew for 20 coins.
- The Ardougne rat pits were the only ones without an underground pub. However, players could visit the Flying Horse Inn on the surface instead.
- There is a glitch after the EoC update where the cats would not attack the rats and simply get stuck in various places of the arena based on the strategy. The fight would end in a draw. Also, after the fight, your cat would not follow you and would wander until you picked it up. The cat would remain in the area even if you left the pits.