This article is about the Dragon. For the music track, see Queen Black Dragon (music track).
- This article has a strategy guide here.
|Release date||22 May 2012 (Update)|
|XP per kill||5000 (and 1650 experience)|
|Assigned by||Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
|Always drops||Dragon bones (8), 5-8 Royal dragonhide, 70-100 Royal bolts|
|Examine text||Worms burrow through her rotting flesh.|
The Queen Black Dragon is the largest and former most dangerous attackable monster on Gielinor, tied with Nex for the second-highest combat level outside of Dungeoneering after the Kalphite King. She is the boss of the Grotworm Lair. The Queen Black Dragon is the first dragon ever created, which was done by Kerapac the Dragonkin, as told by the journals that can be obtained after defeating her. A minimum of 60 Summoning is required to enter the portal to her chamber. The Queen is fought in an instanced shard world, and therefore can only be soloed. For lower-leveled players, defeating her requires very quick reflexes, and slaying her is one of the hardest challenges in the game. Without antifire or super antifire protection, the dragon is capable of hitting nearly up to a player's maximum life points. As of 25 March 2013, defeating her while on a Black dragon task gives Slayer experience. Melee combat using Drygore weaponry remains a popular way of fighting the Queen Black Dragon despite a May 2, 2013 game update that decreased their efficiency, making fights against her usually last longer.
She can be accessed by an underground cave just north of Rimmington next to the White Knight Camp. You do not need to finish or even start Song from the Depths to enter the Grotworm Lair in which she resides, but the quest will give advantages when encountering the dragon. There are a few means of travel to get to the lair:
- Remora's necklace, which teleports you in the White Knight Camp once a day;
- The Port Sarim lodestone, which teleports you just east of the White Knight Camp. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited.
- A Rimmington teleport tablet, which teleports you next to the Rimmington house portal;
- Explorer's ring 3, which teleports you to the cabbage patch north of Port Sarim. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited, so long as you have access to the Explorer's ring 3.
- A Clan vexillum, which teleports you to the clan camp just north-west of the White Knight Camp (requires you to be in a clan). This method of teleportation is free and unlimited, so long as you are in a clan.
- A Captain's Log, which teleports you to the Player-Owned Ports portal, located in the north-eastern portion of Port Sarim. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited.
Creation and imprisonmentEditThe Queen Black Dragon hatched from the egg mentioned in the First dragonkin journal. The egg was infused by Kerapac with his own lifeblood in an experiment to try and create a new type of dragonkin that would not be cursed to feel pain whenever the Stone of Jas was used by False Users.
The second dragonkin journal describes the time after she hatched. Kerapac noted she was intelligent and possessed many of the powers a dragonkin does such as breathing fire, as well as inheriting his magical powers. However, he noted her size limited her ability to use these powers. He considered whether breeding smaller offspring could circumvent this problem.
The third dragonkin journal tells of other dragonkin attempting similar experiments, one resulting in the creation of the King Black Dragon. Despite him being a significantly weaker version, Kerapac attempts to use them for breeding.
These offspring were deemed to be an abject failure. The fourth dragonkin journal describes them as "broken" and "bestial". Kerapac released the King Black Dragon into the wilds (meaning set free, not to the Wilderness, as it could be taken to mean, since it did not exist as such at the time). This is backed up by how there were Dragon riders in Zaros' army, suggesting dragons existed in the second age, or prior to then. The Wilderness was created during the God Wars, by the relentless battles over the fertile heart of the fallen Zarosian empire. The Queen was stored deep underground, restrained by various artefacts designed to protect her and also imprison her.
The Queen Black Dragon resides in the lowest level of the Grotworm Lair. To reach her, enter the caves and slide down the worm burrow shortcut on the first level, requiring 50 Agility. This will take you to the bottom level of the lair. Players without 50 Agility can traverse the three levels of the cave to reach the bottom.
There is a portal to the heart of the caves, leading to the Queen. It requires 60 Summoning to enter. Once inside, there is no exit – the only way to leave is through teleportation, death, or triumph. You will end up in a partially submerged arena, with the dragon sleeping. Once she wakes up, the battle begins.
After restoring the enchantment and returning the Queen to her slumber, you may enter a rewards room with a Dragonkin coffer containing your spoils. Four or more different rewards are received at once. Rewards are not noted, and there is a "Take all" option, which results in the player's inventory being full of all of the unnoted items of that variant. You can also use the "Abandon all" option, which discards all of the items from the coffer. The coffer can also be used to deposit items. Items stay in the coffer until you log out or leave the chamber.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Dragon bones 8 Always 23,744 Royal dragonhide 5–7 Always 27,705–38,787 Royal bolts 70–100 Always 7,350–10,500 First dragonkin journal 1 Always Not sold
- ^ The First dragonkin journal is always received only on the first kill of the queen black dragon.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Second dragonkin journal 1 Common Not sold Third dragonkin journal 1 Uncommon Not sold Fourth dragonkin journal 1 Rare Not sold
- ^ a b c You get the journals in numerical order, every next chapter seems a bit more rare than the previous one, you can only obtain each chapter once. First dragonkin journal is always obtained on the first kill.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 1,809 kills.
3 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Weapons & ArmourEdit
Food & PotionsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rocktail 4–10 Common 6,784–16,960 Saradomin brew (2) 4–10 Common 440–1,100 Super restore (2) 4–10 Common 3,048–7,620
Ores & GemsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Runite ore 30 Uncommon 316,980 Coal 300 Uncommon 76,500 Adamantite ore 50 Uncommon 71,550 Uncut dragonstone 5 Uncommon 64,425
Logs & Seeds & HerbsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Yew logs 300 (noted) Uncommon 160,800 Magic logs 120 (noted) Uncommon 195,960 Snapdragon seed 5 Common 10,635 Torstol seed 1 Rare 50,268 Magic seed 1 Rare 164,810 Grimy lantadyme 50 Uncommon 394,300 Grimy torstol 10 Rare 92,320
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 150,000; 200,000 Uncommon Not sold Onyx bolt tips 30 Uncommon 247,500 Royal torsion spring 1 Rare 362,514 Royal sight 1 Rare 557,794 Royal frame 1 Rare 244,828 Royal bolt stabiliser 1 Rare 439,955 Starved ancient effigy 1 Rare Not sold Draconic visage 1 Rare 1,268,652 Dragonbone upgrade kit 1 Rare 175,740
- ^ Dropped with 50 Adamantite ore.
- ^ Dropped with 300 Coal.
- ^ Estimated at 1/93 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012
- ^ Estimated at 1/104 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- Note: The Queen Black Dragon will drop 2 items from the rare drop table
- This monster drops items from the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth improves the chances if equipped but is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250; 381; 450; 3,000; 9,000; 12,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,107 Uncut emerald 1 Common 1,903 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,112 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 7,034 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 11,742 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 19,052 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 12,885 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,585 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,976 Rune javelin 5 Rare 1,215 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,320 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,933 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,988 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,917 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 848,800 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,727 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 32,404 Shield left half 1 Very rare 65,284 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,501 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 19,800 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,297,050 Rune arrow 150–200; 500 Rare 29,850–199 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,680,000 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 1,587,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 1,723,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 91,765 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 5,311 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 19,025–26,635 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 47,950–67,130 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 177 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 193 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 34,000–1,020,000 Nature rune 47–77 Rare 5,452–8,932 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,480 Law rune 45 Rare 8,550 Death rune 50; 121 Rare 167 Blood rune 50 Rare 13,900 Raw swordfish 125 – 250; 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 36,250–290 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 256,500–513,000 Big bones 150 – 500 (noted) Uncommon 67,350–224,500 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 38,250–1,912,500 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 214,650–1,144,800 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 11,100 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,056,600 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 2,824,000–19,768,000 Rune bar 1,50,150 (noted) Rare 13,069–1,960,350 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 75,900 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 88,175–881,750 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 106,230–424,920 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 94,140–941,400 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 64,750 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 5,859 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 60,155–3,007,750 Magic seed 1–6 Rare 164,810–988,860 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,043,290 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 2,127 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 50,268–1,558,308 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,000 Yew logs 100–20,000 (noted) Rare 53,600–10,720,000
- According to the May Behind the Scenes article, it was intended for the Queen Black Dragon to be so large enough to fit 5 King Black Dragons into her mouth alone; however, she is not quite that big in the concept art nor in encounters.
- The platform upon which the Queen Black Dragon is fought is the Stone of Jas half of the Dragonkin emblem, who are responsible for the creation of the Queen Black Dragon, as well as all of the other species of dragons across Runescape.
- The Queen Black Dragon is the sixth major boss that requires a specific level to fight.The first five major bosses are the God Wars Dungeon generals. (K'ril Tsutsaroth requires a level of 70 Constitution, Kree'arra requires a level of 70 Ranged, General Graardor requires a level of 70 Strength, Commander Zilyana requires a level of 70 Agility, and Nex requires all of the original God Wars Dungeon bosses' requirements)
- Before the release of the Evolution of Combat, the Queen Black Dragon had a combat level of 2100, the highest level ever attained by any attackable monster.
- According to a Postbag from the Hedge, the Queen Black Dragon is on a body of water to "tend" the flames in her furnace. She also calls her creator "Father", and she waits for him to come back, instead of being angry that he had abandoned her.
- Despite having no immunity to stun-based attacks, using abilities such as Kick, Backhand or Destroy does not stun her. It is unknown whether or not it was intentional.
- This boss was revealed at the Runefest 2011 Future Updates session by Mod Mark. The Kalphite King was the other boss planned alongside the Queen Black Dragon.
- The Queen Black Dragon can charge the dragonfire shield in one fire breath attack.
- The update of 7 August 2012 changed the Queen Black Dragon. Among other things, she can now drop charms, some less profitable rewards have been removed, and her standard dragonfire has a cool-down of about ten seconds.
- Originally, the Queen Black Dragon did not count for a Black dragon slayer assignment. However, with the release of the Wilderness Warbands update, she now counts as a Black dragon.
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Nex||Strongest attackable monster in RuneScape||Kal'Ger the Warmonger (strongest version)|
Dragons and dragon-like races
Rulers and Monarchs
Queen Ellamaria Remanis • King Roald Remanis III (current king of Varrock) • Tarquin Marjoribanks • King Claudius • King Botolph Remanis • King Roald Remanis I • King Roald Remanis II • The Five Princes of Misthalin
|Miscellania and Etceteria|
|Ape Atoll and Karamja|
|Land of Snow|
King Alvis • King Veldaban • Hreidmar • King rat • Sea Troll Queen • Queen Black Dragon • King Black Dragon • Spider Queen • The Pescallion • Walrus • Pest Queen • Queen of Sunrise • Fairy Queen • Penance Queen • Frog Prince • Frog princess • Flora • King Arthur • The Queen