This article is about the Dragon. For the music track, see Queen Black Dragon (music track).
- This article has a related strategy guide here.
|Release date||22 May 2012 (Update)|
|Combat level|| 220|
|XP per kill||3,500 (and 1,155 experience)|
|Always drops||Dragon bones (8), 5-8 Royal dragonhide, 70-100 Royal bolts|
|Examine text||Worms burrow through her rotting flesh.|
|Assigned by||Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
The Queen Black Dragon is a powerful dragon slumbering at the bottom of the Grotworm Lair. She was the first dragon ever created, created by the Dragonkin Kerapac. 60 Summoning is required to enter her chamber, an area that can only be accessed alone. Waking her and fighting her effectively requires practice, apt reflexes, and high-level gear. Returning her to slumber rewards the player with a hefty reward and additionally Slayer experience if assigned a black dragon task. She and Nex share the third-highest combat level in the overworld, following the Kalphite King and Vorago.
The Queen Black Dragon is accessible through an underground cave, the Grotworm Lair. Its entrance is a short distance north of Rimmington and next to the nearby White Knight Camp. The quest Song from the Depths is not required to enter, although completing it details a backstory and a passive damage reduction when fighting the boss.
There are multiple good means of travel to get to the lair:
- Remora's necklace, which teleports you in the White Knight Camp once a day. Earned with completion of Song from the Depths.
- The Port Sarim lodestone, which teleports you just east of the White Knight Camp. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited.
- A Rimmington teleport tablet, which teleports you next to the Rimmington house portal. Requires Love Story.
- Explorer's ring 3, which teleports you to the cabbage patch north of Port Sarim. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited, so long as you have completed the Lumbridge and Draynor Tasks.
- A Clan vexillum, which teleports you to the clan camp just north-west of the White Knight Camp. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited, but is usable only if you are in a clan.
- A Captain's Log, which teleports you to the Player-Owned Ports portal, located in the north-eastern portion of Port Sarim. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited.
Creation and imprisonmentEditThe Queen Black Dragon hatched from the egg mentioned in the First dragonkin journal. The egg was infused by Kerapac with his own lifeblood in an experiment to try and create a new type of dragonkin that would not be cursed to feel pain whenever the Stone of Jas was used by False Users.
The second dragonkin journal describes the time after she hatched. Kerapac noted she was intelligent and possessed many of the powers a dragonkin does such as breathing fire, as well as inheriting his magical powers. However, he noted her size limited her ability to use these powers. He considered whether breeding smaller offspring could circumvent this problem.
The third dragonkin journal tells of other dragonkin attempting similar experiments, one resulting in the creation of the King Black Dragon. Despite him being a significantly weaker version, Kerapac attempted to use them for breeding.
These offspring were deemed to be an abject failure. The fourth dragonkin journal describes them as "broken" and "bestial". Kerapac released the King Black Dragon, but the Queen was stored deep underground, restrained by various artefacts designed to both protect and imprison her.
The Queen Black Dragon resides in the lowest level of the Grotworm Lair. To reach her, enter the caves and slide down the worm burrow shortcut on the first level, requiring 50 Agility. This will take you to the bottom level of the lair. Players without 50 Agility can traverse the three levels of the cave to reach the bottom.
There is a portal to the heart of the caves, leading to the Queen. It requires 60 Summoning to enter. Once inside, there is no exit – the only way to leave is through teleportation, death, or triumph. You will end up in a partially submerged arena, with the dragon sleeping. Once she wakes up, the battle begins.
|Profit||Skill requirements||Other requirements||Experience|
After restoring the enchantment and returning the Queen to her slumber, you may enter a rewards room with a Dragonkin coffer containing your spoils. Four or more different rewards are received at once. Rewards are not noted, and there is a "Take all" option, which results in the player's inventory being full of all of the unnoted items of that variant. You can also use the "Abandon all" option, which discards all of the items from the coffer. The coffer can also be used to deposit items. Items stay in the coffer until you log out or leave the chamber. It is important to know that the Ring of Wealth does not affect what you get from the chest, except for the amount of food and potions.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Dragon bones 8 Always 33,856 Royal dragonhide 5–7 Always 30,375–42,525 Royal bolts 70–100 Always 3,990–5,700 First dragonkin journal 1 [100% 1]Always Not sold
- ^ The First dragonkin journal is always received on the first kill of the Queen Black Dragon
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Second dragonkin journal 1 [journals 1]Common Not sold Third dragonkin journal 1 [journals 1]Uncommon Not sold Fourth dragonkin journal 1 [journals 1]Rare Not sold
- ^ a b c Journals are received in numerical order, every next chapter seems a bit more rare than the previous one, you can only obtain each chapter once. First dragonkin journal is always obtained on the first kill.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 4,018 kills.
3 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Royal torsion spring 1 Uncommon 396,655 Royal sight 1 Uncommon 404,891 Royal frame 1 Uncommon 400,338 Royal bolt stabiliser 1 Uncommon 401,371 Dragon kiteshield 1 [unique 1]Rare 322,761 Dragonbone upgrade kit 1 [unique 2]Rare 16,533
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rocktail 4–10 Common 9,252–23,130 Saradomin brew (2) 4–10 Common 580–1,450 Super restore (2) 4–10 Common 6,508–16,270
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Runite ore 30 Uncommon 316,440 Coal 300 [ores 1]Uncommon 57,600 Adamantite ore 50 [ores 1]Uncommon 124,450 Uncut dragonstone 5 Uncommon 73,320 Yew logs 300 (noted) Uncommon 158,100 Magic logs 120 (noted) Uncommon 153,600 Onyx bolt tips 30 Uncommon 237,870
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy lantadyme 50 Rare 460,450 Grimy torstol 10 Uncommon 64,470
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Snapdragon seed 5 Common 7,030 Torstol seed 1 Rare 16,418 Magic seed 1 Rare 155,959
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 150,000; 200,000; 250,000 Uncommon Not sold Draconic visage 1 [other 1]Rare 1,245,239 Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- Note: The Queen Black Dragon will drop 2 items from the rare drop table. The drop rate of these items are rare.
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 450; 3,000;
9,000; 10,000; 12,000
Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,379 Uncut emerald 1 Common 3,184 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,240 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 6,722 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 19,784 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 41,520 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 14,664 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,352 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,556 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,054 Rune javelin 5 Rare 880 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,120 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,543 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,312 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 35,908 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 827,800 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,403 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,832 Shield left half 1 Very rare 64,166 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,911 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 12,200 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,260,300 Rune arrow 150–200, 500 Rare 22,500–75,000 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,596,400 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 2,908,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 2,097,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 140,908 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 11,536 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 35,050–49,070 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 41,850–58,590 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 665 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 447 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 6,500–195,000 Nature rune 20–80 Rare 6,480–25,920 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,840 Law rune 45 Rare 13,185 Death rune 50, 121 Rare 5,650–13,673 Blood rune 50 Rare 10,400 Raw swordfish 125–250, 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 39,375–315,000 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 417,500–835,000 Big bones 150–500 (noted) Uncommon 86,250–287,500 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 28,800–1,440,000 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 373,350–1,991,200 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 10,300 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,054,800 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 3,365,000–23,555,000 Rune bar 1, 50, 150 (noted) Rare 13,124–1,968,600 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 102,531 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 108,925–1,089,250 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 128,490–513,960 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 64,540–645,400 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 99,000 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 8,604 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 67,803–3,390,150 Magic seed 1–7 Rare 155,959–1,091,713 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 989,510 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 1,406 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 16,418–508,958 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,858 Yew logs 50–20,000 (noted) Rare 26,350–10,540,000 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold
- According to the May Behind the Scenes article, it was intended for the Queen Black Dragon to be so large enough to fit 5 King Black Dragons into her mouth alone; however, she is not quite that big in the concept art nor in encounters, although upon entering her lair, the game camera zooms out further to make it look as if the Queen Black Dragon is very large in comparison to the player.
- The platform upon which the Queen Black Dragon is fought is the Stone of Jas half of the Dragonkin emblem, who are responsible for the creation of the Queen Black Dragon, as well as all of the other species of dragons across Runescape.
- Before the release of the Evolution of Combat, the Queen Black Dragon had a combat level of 2100, the highest level ever attained by any attackable monster.
- According to a Postbag from the Hedge, the Queen Black Dragon is on a body of water to "tend" the flames in her furnace. She also calls her creator "Father", and she waits for him to come back, instead of being angry that he had abandoned her.
- This boss was revealed at the Runefest 2011 Future Updates session by Mod Mark. The Kalphite King was the other boss planned alongside the Queen Black Dragon.
- Before the release of the Evolution of Combat, the Queen Black Dragon could charge the dragonfire shield in one fire breath attack, which other dragonfire could not accomplish.
- The update of 7 August 2012 changed the Queen Black Dragon. Among other things, she can now drop charms, some less profitable rewards have been removed, and her standard dragonfire has a cool-down of about ten seconds.
- Originally, the Queen Black Dragon did not count for a Black dragon slayer assignment. However, with the release of the Wilderness Warbands update, she now counts as a Black dragon.
- Despite having no stun-immune icon, the Queen Black Dragon is unaffected by stuns. This has been fixed on 17 February 2014.
- Along with the patch notes, the player can now quick-start the fight by clicking the second option, rather then leaving the chest room to go to the portal and then restart the fight.
- If a player recieves any unique, non-effigy/royal drop, the Adventurer's log will say "While battling the Queen Black Dragon, I looted a (unique item)." If a player gets an effigy, the log will say "After killing a Queen Black Dragon, it dropped an effigy.", even though the Queen Black Dragon cannot be killed and it's drops are by looting the chest, not by killing it.
- When in the spirit realm at the ruins in level 47 of the Wilderness, there is a symbol on the walls that looks similar to the Queen Black Dragon's arena-half of a circle with a hexagon pattern, joined at the cut-off point by what could be the magical platforms that lead to the artefacts.
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Nex||Strongest attackable monster in RuneScape||Kal'Ger the Warmonger (strongest version)|
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Nex||Strongest attackable monster in RuneScape outside of Daemonheim (With Nex)||Kalphite King|
Dragons and dragon-like races
Rulers and Monarchs
|Miscellania and Etceteria|
|Ape Atoll and Karamja|
|Land of Snow|
King rat • Sea Troll Queen • Queen Black Dragon • King Black Dragon • Spider Queen • The Pescallion • Walrus • Pest Queen • Queen of Sunrise • Fairy Queen • Penance Queen • Frog Prince • Frog princess • Flora • The Queen • Ice Queen • Baxtorian • Glarial • Ice Troll King • Kalphite King • Kalphite Queen • Exiled Kalphite Queen • Jadinko Queen