This article is about the Dragon. For the music track, see Queen Black Dragon (music track).
- This article has a strategy guide here.
|Release date||22 May 2012 (Update)|
|XP per kill||3,500 (and 1,155 experience)|
|Always drops||Dragon bones (8), 5-8 Royal dragonhide, 70-100 Royal bolts|
|Examine text||Worms burrow through her rotting flesh.|
|Assigned by||Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
The Queen Black Dragon is a powerful dragon slumbering at the bottom of the Grotworm Lair. She was the first dragon ever created, created by the Dragonkin Kerapac. 60 Summoning is required to enter her chamber, an area that can only be accessed alone. Waking her and fighting her effectively requires practice, apt reflexes, and high-level gear. Returning her to slumber rewards the player with a hefty reward and additionally Slayer experience if assigned a black dragon task. She and Nex share the third-highest combat level in the overworld, following the Kalphite King and Vorago.
The Queen Black Dragon is accessible through an underground cave, the Grotworm Lair. Its entrance is a short distance north of Rimmington and next to the nearby White Knight Camp. The quest Song from the Depths is not required to enter, although completing it details a backstory and a passive damage reduction when fighting the boss.
There are multiple good means of travel to get to the lair:
- Remora's necklace, which teleports you in the White Knight Camp once a day. Earned with completion of Song from the Depths.
- The Port Sarim lodestone, which teleports you just east of the White Knight Camp. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited.
- A Rimmington teleport tablet, which teleports you next to the Rimmington house portal. Requires Love Story.
- Explorer's ring 3, which teleports you to the cabbage patch north of Port Sarim. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited, so long as you have completed the Lumbridge and Draynor Tasks.
- A Clan vexillum, which teleports you to the clan camp just north-west of the White Knight Camp. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited, but is usable only if you are in a clan.
- A Captain's Log, which teleports you to the Player-Owned Ports portal, located in the north-eastern portion of Port Sarim. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited.
Creation and imprisonmentEditThe Queen Black Dragon hatched from the egg mentioned in the First dragonkin journal. The egg was infused by Kerapac with his own lifeblood in an experiment to try and create a new type of dragonkin that would not be cursed to feel pain whenever the Stone of Jas was used by False Users.
The second dragonkin journal describes the time after she hatched. Kerapac noted she was intelligent and possessed many of the powers a dragonkin does such as breathing fire, as well as inheriting his magical powers. However, he noted her size limited her ability to use these powers. He considered whether breeding smaller offspring could circumvent this problem.
The third dragonkin journal tells of other dragonkin attempting similar experiments, one resulting in the creation of the King Black Dragon. Despite him being a significantly weaker version, Kerapac attempts to use them for breeding.
These offspring were deemed to be an abject failure. The fourth dragonkin journal describes them as "broken" and "bestial". Kerapac released the King Black Dragon, who subsequently left. The Queen was stored deep underground, restrained by various artefacts designed to protect her and also imprison her.
The Queen Black Dragon resides in the lowest level of the Grotworm Lair. To reach her, enter the caves and slide down the worm burrow shortcut on the first level, requiring 50 Agility. This will take you to the bottom level of the lair. Players without 50 Agility can traverse the three levels of the cave to reach the bottom.
There is a portal to the heart of the caves, leading to the Queen. It requires 60 Summoning to enter. Once inside, there is no exit – the only way to leave is through teleportation, death, or triumph. You will end up in a partially submerged arena, with the dragon sleeping. Once she wakes up, the battle begins.
|Profit||Skill requirements||Other requirements||Experience|
After restoring the enchantment and returning the Queen to her slumber, you may enter a rewards room with a Dragonkin coffer containing your spoils. Four or more different rewards are received at once. Rewards are not noted, and there is a "Take all" option, which results in the player's inventory being full of all of the unnoted items of that variant. You can also use the "Abandon all" option, which discards all of the items from the coffer. The coffer can also be used to deposit items. Items stay in the coffer until you log out or leave the chamber. It is important to know that the Ring of Wealth does not affect what you get from the chest, except for the amount of food and potions.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Dragon bones 8 Always 39,176 Royal dragonhide 5–7 Always 32,730–45,822 Royal bolts 70–100 Always 3,850–5,500 First dragonkin journal 1 [100% 1]Always Not sold
- ^ The First dragonkin journal is always received on the first kill of the Queen Black Dragon
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Second dragonkin journal 1 [journals 1]Common Not sold Third dragonkin journal 1 [journals 1]Uncommon Not sold Fourth dragonkin journal 1 [journals 1]Rare Not sold
- ^ a b c Journals are received in numerical order, every next chapter seems a bit more rare than the previous one, you can only obtain each chapter once. First dragonkin journal is always obtained on the first kill.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 3,842 kills.
3 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Royal torsion spring 1 Uncommon 143,066 Royal sight 1 Uncommon 142,318 Royal frame 1 Uncommon 114,355 Royal bolt stabiliser 1 Uncommon 142,070 Dragon kiteshield 1 [unique 1]Rare 386,665 Dragonbone upgrade kit 1 [unique 2]Rare 33,161
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rocktail 4–10 Common 11,848–29,620 Saradomin brew (2) 4–10 Common 360–900 Super restore (2) 4–10 Common 6,544–16,360
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Runite ore 30 Uncommon 309,060 Coal 300 [ores 1]Uncommon 49,200 Adamantite ore 50 [ores 1]Uncommon 158,450 Uncut dragonstone 5 Uncommon 84,365 Yew logs 300 (noted) Uncommon 145,500 Magic logs 120 (noted) Uncommon 173,040 Onyx bolt tips 30 Uncommon 248,610
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy lantadyme 50 Rare 525,400 Grimy torstol 10 Uncommon 58,470
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Snapdragon seed 5 Common 12,500 Torstol seed 1 Rare 20,077 Magic seed 1 Rare 165,336
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 150,000; 200,000 Uncommon Not sold Draconic visage 1 [other 1]Rare 1,341,976 Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- Note: The Queen Black Dragon will drop 2 items from the rare drop table. The drop rate of these items are rare.
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth improves the chances when equipped but is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 450, 3,000, 9,000, 10,000, 12,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,649 Uncut emerald 1 Common 3,197 Uncut ruby 1 Common 4,426 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 8,413 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 24,360 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 38,813 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 16,873 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,294 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,751 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,154 Rune javelin 5 Rare 890 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,060 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,745 Rune spear 1 Very rare 10,935 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,655 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 837,550 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,556 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 32,114 Shield left half 1 Very rare 66,610 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,763 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 13,400 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,279,050 Rune arrow 150–200, 500 Rare 22,200–74,000 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,510,600 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 3,651,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 3,131,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 90,518 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 9,924 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 16,250–22,750 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 79,600–111,440 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 99 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 119 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 10,500–315,000 Nature rune 20–80 Rare 5,320–21,280 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,460 Law rune 45 Rare 14,535 Death rune 50, 121 Rare 4,750–11,495 Blood rune 50 Rare 12,250 Raw swordfish 125–250, 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 36,750–294,000 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 418,500–837,000 Big bones 150–500 (noted) Uncommon 79,050–263,500 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 24,600–1,230,000 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 475,350–2,535,200 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 10,900 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,030,200 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 3,860,000–27,020,000 Rune bar 1, 50, 150 (noted) Rare 13,042–1,956,300 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 66,594 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 109,525–1,095,250 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 136,530–546,120 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 60,010–600,100 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 53,500 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 8,718 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 74,111–3,705,550 Magic seed 1–7 Rare 165,336–1,157,352 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,446,520 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 2,500 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 20,077–622,387 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,184 Yew logs 100–20,000 (noted) Rare 48,500–9,700,000 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold
- According to the May Behind the Scenes article, it was intended for the Queen Black Dragon to be so large enough to fit 5 King Black Dragons into her mouth alone; however, she is not quite that big in the concept art nor in encounters, although upon entering her lair, the game camera zooms out further to make it look as if the Queen Black Dragon is very large in comparison to the player.
- The platform upon which the Queen Black Dragon is fought is the Stone of Jas half of the Dragonkin emblem, who are responsible for the creation of the Queen Black Dragon, as well as all of the other species of dragons across Runescape.
- Before the release of the Evolution of Combat, the Queen Black Dragon had a combat level of 2100, the highest level ever attained by any attackable monster.
- According to a Postbag from the Hedge, the Queen Black Dragon is on a body of water to "tend" the flames in her furnace. She also calls her creator "Father", and she waits for him to come back, instead of being angry that he had abandoned her.
- This boss was revealed at the Runefest 2011 Future Updates session by Mod Mark. The Kalphite King was the other boss planned alongside the Queen Black Dragon.
- Before the release of the Evolution of Combat, the Queen Black Dragon could charge the dragonfire shield in one fire breath attack, which other dragonfire could not accomplish.
- The update of 7 August 2012 changed the Queen Black Dragon. Among other things, she can now drop charms, some less profitable rewards have been removed, and her standard dragonfire has a cool-down of about ten seconds.
- Originally, the Queen Black Dragon did not count for a Black dragon slayer assignment. However, with the release of the Wilderness Warbands update, she now counts as a Black dragon.
- Despite having no stun-immune icon, the Queen Black Dragon is unaffected by stuns. This is most likely a glitch.
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Nex||Strongest attackable monster in RuneScape||Kal'Ger the Warmonger (strongest version)|
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Nex||Strongest attackable monster in RuneScape outside of Daemonheim (With Nex)||Kalphite King|
Dragons and dragon-like races
Rulers and Monarchs
|Miscellania and Etceteria|
|Ape Atoll and Karamja|
|Land of Snow|
King rat • Sea Troll Queen • Queen Black Dragon • King Black Dragon • Spider Queen • The Pescallion • Walrus • Pest Queen • Queen of Sunrise • Fairy Queen • Penance Queen • Frog Prince • Frog princess • Flora • The Queen • Ice Queen • Baxtorian • Glarial • Ice Troll King • Kalphite King • Kalphite Queen • Exiled Kalphite Queen • Jadinko Queen