This article is about the Dragon. For the music track, see Queen Black Dragon (music track).
- This article has a strategy guide here.
|Release date||22 May 2012 (Update)|
|XP per kill||5000 (and 1650 experience)|
|Assigned by||Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
|Always drops||Dragon bones (8), 5-8 Royal dragonhide, 70-100 Royal bolts|
|Examine text||Worms burrow through her rotting flesh.|
The Queen Black Dragon is the largest and former most dangerous attackable monster on Gielinor, tied with Nex for the second-highest combat level in-game after the Kalphite King. She is the boss of the Grotworm Lair. The Queen Black Dragon is the first dragon ever created, which was done by Kerapac the Dragonkin, as told by the journals that can be obtained after defeating her. A minimum of 60 Summoning is required to enter the portal to her chamber. The Queen is fought in an instanced shard world, and therefore can only be soloed. For lower-leveled players, defeating her requires very quick reflexes, and slaying her is one of the hardest challenges in the game. Without antifire or super antifire protection, the dragon is capable of hitting nearly up to a player's maximum life points. As of 25 March 2013, defeating her while on a Black dragon task gives Slayer experience. Melee combat using Drygore weaponry remains a popular way of fighting the Queen Black Dragon despite a May 2, 2013 game update that decreased their efficiency, making fights against her usually last longer.
She can be accessed by an underground cave just north of Rimmington next to the White Knight Camp. You do not need to finish or even start Song from the Depths to enter the Grotworm Lair in which she resides, but the quest will give advantages when encountering the dragon. There are a few means of travel to get to the lair:
- Remora's necklace, which teleports you in the White Knight Camp once a day;
- The Port Sarim lodestone, which teleports you just east of the White Knight Camp. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited.
- A Rimmington teleport tablet, which teleports you next to the Rimmington house portal;
- Explorer's ring 3, which teleports you to the cabbage patch north of Port Sarim. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited, so long as you have access to the Explorer's ring 3.
- A Clan vexillum, which teleports you to the clan camp just north-west of the White Knight Camp (requires you to be in a clan). This method of teleportation is free and unlimited, so long as you are in a clan.
- A Captain's Log, which teleports you to the Player-Owned Ports portal, located in the north-eastern portion of Port Sarim. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited.
Creation and imprisonmentEditThe Queen Black Dragon hatched from the egg mentioned in the First dragonkin journal. The egg was infused by Kerapac with his own lifeblood in an experiment to try and create a new type of dragonkin that would not be cursed to feel pain whenever the Stone of Jas was used by False Users.
The second dragonkin journal describes the time after she hatched. Kerapac noted she was intelligent and possessed many of the powers a dragonkin does such as breathing fire, as well as inheriting his magical powers. However, he noted her size limited her ability to use these powers. He considered whether breeding smaller offspring could circumvent this problem.
The third dragonkin journal tells of other dragonkin attempting similar experiments, one resulting in the creation of the King Black Dragon. Despite him being a significantly weaker version, Kerapac attempts to use them for breeding.
These offspring were deemed to be an abject failure. The fourth dragonkin journal describes them as "broken" and "bestial". Kerapac released the King Black Dragon into the wilds (meaning set free, not to the Wilderness, as it could be taken to mean, since it did not exist as such at the time). This is backed up by how there were Dragon riders in Zaros' army, suggesting dragons existed in the second age, or prior to then. The Wilderness was created during the God Wars, by the relentless battles over the fertile heart of the fallen Zarosian empire. The Queen was stored deep underground, restrained by various artefacts designed to protect her and also imprison her.
The Queen Black Dragon resides in the lowest level of the Grotworm Lair. To reach her, enter the caves and slide down the worm burrow shortcut on the first level, requiring 50 Agility. This will take you to the bottom level of the lair. Players without 50 Agility can traverse the three levels of the cave to reach the bottom.
There is a portal to the heart of the caves, leading to the Queen. It requires 60 Summoning to enter. Once inside, there is no exit – the only way to leave is through teleportation, death, or triumph. You will end up in a partially submerged arena, with the dragon sleeping. Once she wakes up, the battle begins.
After restoring the enchantment and returning the Queen to her slumber, you may enter a rewards room with a Dragonkin coffer containing your spoils. Four or more different rewards are received at once. Rewards are not noted, and there is a "Take all" option, which results in the player collecting as many rewards as they can, "Bank all" which sends the rewards to the bank, and "Abandon all" which discards the items. If the player leaves the room before claiming their reward, the items will remain in the coffer until they log out.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Dragon bones 8 Always 17,496 Royal dragonhide 5–7 Always 26,305–36,827 Royal bolts 70–100 Always 7,490–10,700 First dragonkin journal 1 Always Not sold
- ^ The First dragonkin journal is always received only on the first kill of the queen black dragon.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Second dragonkin journal 1 Common Not sold Third dragonkin journal 1 Uncommon Not sold Fourth dragonkin journal 1 Rare Not sold
- ^ a b c You get the journals in numerical order, every next chapter seems a bit more rare than the previous one, you can only obtain each chapter once. First dragonkin journal is always obtained on the first kill.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 916 kills.
3 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Weapons & ArmourEdit
Runes & ArrowsEdit
Food & PotionsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rocktail 1–10 Common 1,333–13,330 Saradomin brew (2) 1–10 Common 294–2,940 Super restore (2) 1–10 Common 938–9,380
Ores & GemsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Runite ore 30–100 Uncommon 313,830–1,046,100 Coal 300 Uncommon 81,600 Adamantite ore 50 Uncommon 72,950 Uncut dragonstone 5 Uncommon 72,870
Logs & Seeds & HerbsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Yew logs 300 (noted) Uncommon 163,500 Magic logs 120 (noted) Uncommon 205,200 Snapdragon seed 5 Common 11,800 Torstol seed 1 Rare 70,221 Magic seed 1 Rare 164,198 Grimy lantadyme 50 Uncommon 386,650 Grimy torstol 10 Rare 106,400
Other drops Edit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 10,371; 100,000; 150,000; 200,000 Uncommon Not sold Onyx bolt tips 30 Uncommon 248,580 Royal torsion spring 1 Rare 228,200 Royal sight 1 Rare 254,674 Royal frame 1 Rare 305,848 Royal bolt stabiliser 1 Rare 312,312 Starved ancient effigy 1 Rare Not sold Draconic visage 1 Rare 1,230,658 Dragonbone upgrade kit 1 Rare 161,179
- ^ Estimated at 1/93 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012
- ^ Estimated at 1/104 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012
Rare drop table dropsEdit
Note: The Queen Black Dragon will drop 2 items from the rare drop table
|Show/hide rare drop table|
- According to the May Behind the Scenes article, it was intended for the Queen Black Dragon to be so large enough to fit 5 King Black Dragons into her mouth alone; however, she is not quite that big in the concept art nor in encounters.
- The Queen Black Dragon is the sixth non-quest boss monster that requires a skill level to fight. The first five were the God Wars Dungeon bosses.
- The platform upon which the Queen Black Dragon is fought is the Stone of Jas half of the Dragonkin emblem, who are responsible for the creation of the Queen Black Dragon, as well as all of the other species of dragons across Runescape.
- Before the release of the Evolution of Combat, the Queen Black Dragon had a combat level of 2100, the highest level ever attained by any attackable monster.
- According to a Postbag from the Hedge, the Queen Black Dragon is on a body of water to "tend" the flames in her furnace. She also calls her creator "Father", and she waits for him to come back, instead of being angry that he had abandoned her.
- The Queen Black Dragon's mother may have been a Wyrm. In the Dragonkin Journals, it states that her egg came from a giant water reptile. However, Kerapac's magic and lifeblood turned her into a dragon.
- This boss was revealed at the Runefest 2011 Future Updates session by Mod Mark. The Kalphite King was the other boss planned alongside the Queen Black Dragon.
- The Queen Black Dragon is missing scales from her paws. The way they are present in the front but not in the back suggests that they were removed by water friction.
- The Queen Black Dragon can charge the dragonfire shield in one fire breath attack.
- The update of 7 August 2012 changed the Queen Black Dragon. Among other things, she can now drop charms, some less profitable rewards have been removed, and her standard dragonfire has a cool-down of about ten seconds.
- As of 25 March 2013, the Queen Black Dragon now counts towards a Black dragon Slayer assignment.
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Nex||Strongest attackable monster in RuneScape||Kalphite King|
Dragons and dragon-like races
Rulers and Monarchs
Queen Ellamaria Remanis • King Roald Remanis III (current king of Varrock) • Tarquin Marjoribanks • King Claudius • King Botolph Remanis • King Roald Remanis I • King Roald Remanis II • The Five Princes of Misthalin
|Miscellania and Etceteria|
|Ape Atoll and Karamja|
|Land of Snow|
King Alvis • King Veldaban • Hreidmar • King rat • Sea Troll Queen • Queen Black Dragon • King Black Dragon • Spider Queen • The Pescallion • Walrus • Pest Queen • Queen of Sunrise • Fairy Queen • Penance Queen • Frog Prince • Frog princess • Flora • King Arthur • The Queen