|Release date||22 May 2012 (Update)|
|XP per kill||3,500 (and 1,155 experience)|
|Always drops||Dragon bones (8), 5-8 Royal dragonhide, 70-100 Royal bolts|
|Examine text||Worms burrow through her rotting flesh.|
|Assigned by||Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
The Queen Black Dragon is a powerful dragon slumbering at the bottom of the Grotworm Lair. She was the first dragon ever created, created by the Dragonkin Kerapac. 60 Summoning is required to enter her chamber, an area that can only be accessed alone. Waking her and fighting her effectively requires practice, apt reflexes, and high-level gear. Returning her to slumber rewards the player with a hefty reward and additionally Slayer experience if assigned a black dragon task.
The Queen Black Dragon is accessible through an underground cave, the Grotworm Lair. Its entrance is a short distance north of Rimmington and next to the nearby White Knight Camp. The quest Song from the Depths is not required to enter, although completing it details a backstory and a passive damage reduction when fighting the boss.
There are multiple good means of travel to get to the lair:
- Remora's necklace, which teleports you in the White Knight Camp once a day. Earned with completion of Song from the Depths.
- The Port Sarim lodestone, which teleports you just east of the White Knight Camp. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited.
- A Rimmington teleport tablet, which teleports you next to the Rimmington house portal. Requires Love Story.
- Explorer's ring 3 (or 4), which teleports you to the cabbage patch north of Port Sarim. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited, so long as you have completed the Lumbridge and Draynor Tasks.
- A Clan vexillum, which teleports you to the clan camp just north-west of the White Knight Camp. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited, but is usable only if you are in a clan.
- A Captain's Log, which teleports you to the Player-Owned Ports portal, located in the north-eastern portion of Port Sarim. This method of teleportation is free and unlimited.
HistoryEditThe Queen Black Dragon hatched from the egg mentioned in the First dragonkin journal. The egg was infused by Kerapac with his own lifeblood in an experiment to try and create a new type of dragonkin that would not be cursed to feel pain whenever the Stone of Jas was used by False Users.
The second dragonkin journal describes the time after she hatched. Kerapac noted she was intelligent and possessed many of the powers a dragonkin does such as breathing fire, as well as inheriting his magical powers. However, he noted her size limited her ability to use these powers. He considered whether breeding smaller offspring could circumvent this problem.
The third dragonkin journal tells of other dragonkin attempting similar experiments, one resulting in the creation of the King Black Dragon. Despite him being a significantly weaker version, Kerapac attempted to use them for breeding.
These offspring were deemed to be an abject failure. The fourth dragonkin journal describes them as "broken" and "bestial". Kerapac released the King Black Dragon, but the Queen was stored deep underground, restrained by various artefacts designed to both protect and imprison her.
Sometime after being imprisoned, a siren named Remora was somehow inside the Queen Black Dragon. She used Remora to lure the souls of many men for her dreams, until The Raptor and an adventurer freed the siren, although it woke her up.
During the events of One of a Kind, Hannibus and the same adventurer revisited the her while she was sleeping for a clue to get Hannibus back home to his realm. She telepathically talks through Hannibus, having a good dream where an Illujanka would be unable to dominate her. Although she remembers the adventurer from before (if they fought her successfully), she lets them ask any question, until the adventurer asks her about the Dragonkin, which angers her. Hannibus manages to subdue her for a while and the two leave before she is able to wake up and attack the "dream-things".
The Queen Black Dragon resides in the lowest level of the Grotworm Lair. To reach her, enter the caves and slide down the worm burrow shortcut on the first level, requiring 50 Agility. This will take you to the bottom level of the lair. Players without 50 Agility can traverse the three levels of the cave to reach the bottom.
There is a portal to the heart of the caves, leading to the Queen. It requires 60 Summoning to enter. Once inside, there is no exit – the only way to leave is through teleportation, death, or triumph. You will end up in a partially submerged arena, with the dragon sleeping. Once she wakes up, the battle begins.
After restoring the enchantment and returning the Queen to her slumber, you may enter a rewards room with a Dragonkin coffer containing your spoils. Four or more different rewards are received at once. Rewards are not noted, and there is a "Take all" option, which results in the player's inventory being full of all of the unnoted items of that variant. You can also use the "Abandon all" option, which discards all of the items from the coffer. The coffer can also be used to deposit items. Items stay in the coffer until you log out or leave the chamber. It is important to know that the Ring of Wealth does not affect what you get from the chest, except for the amount of food and potions.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Dragon bones 8 Always 32,272 Royal dragonhide 5–7 Always 28,465–39,851 Royal bolts 70–100 Always 6,370–9,100 First dragonkin journal 1 [100% 1]Always Not sold
- ^ The First dragonkin journal is always received on the first kill of the Queen Black Dragon
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Second dragonkin journal 1 [journals 1]Common Not sold Third dragonkin journal 1 [journals 1]Uncommon Not sold Fourth dragonkin journal 1 [journals 1]Uncommon Not sold
- ^ a b c Journals are received in numerical order, every next chapter seems a bit more rare than the previous one, you can only obtain each chapter once. First dragonkin journal is always obtained on the first kill.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 4,804 kills.
3 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Royal torsion spring 1 Rare 343,768 Royal sight 1 Rare 344,616 Royal frame 1 Rare 345,687 Royal bolt stabiliser 1 Rare 359,456 Dragon kiteshield 1 [unique 1]Rare 323,922 Dragonbone upgrade kit 1 [unique 2]Rare 13,774
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rocktail 4–10 Common 9,280–23,200 Saradomin brew (2) 4–10 Common 1,368–3,420 Super restore (2) 4–10 Common 7,860–19,650
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Runite ore 30 Uncommon 346,680 Coal 300 [ores 1]Uncommon 65,400 Adamantite ore 50 [ores 1]Uncommon 107,700 Uncut dragonstone 5 Uncommon 77,580 Yew logs 300 (noted) Uncommon 140,700 Magic logs 120 (noted) Uncommon 150,600 Onyx bolt tips 30 Uncommon 232,710
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy lantadyme 50 Rare 516,250 Grimy torstol 10 Uncommon 76,010
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Snapdragon seed 5 Common 11,595 Torstol seed 1 Rare 23,156 Magic seed 1 Rare 153,198
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 150,000; 200,000 Uncommon Not sold Draconic visage 1 Rare 1,260,845 Starved ancient effigy 1 Rare Not sold
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- Note: The Queen Black Dragon will drop 2 items from the rare drop table. The drop rate of these items are rare.
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 450; 3,000;
9,000; 10,000; 12,000
Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,368 Uncut emerald 1 Common 2,997 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,806 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 6,277 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 19,487 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 43,434 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 15,516 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,710 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,438 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 23,920 Rune javelin 5 Rare 880 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,060 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,386 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,311 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 35,975 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 821,900 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,436 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 32,191 Shield left half 1 Very rare 64,290 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,080 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 22,200 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,265,850 Rune arrow 150–200, 500 Rare 22,650–75,500 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,622,200 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 2,630,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 2,084,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 101,881 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 13,892 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 77,100–107,940 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 80,375–112,525 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 960 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 303 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 9,000–270,000 Nature rune 20–80 Rare 6,000–24,000 Soul rune 20 Rare 3,280 Law rune 45 Rare 12,240 Death rune 50, 121 Rare 8,450–20,449 Blood rune 50 Rare 16,100 Raw swordfish 125–250, 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 46,000–368,000 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 406,000–812,000 Big bones 150–500 (noted) Uncommon 90,600–302,000 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 32,700–1,635,000 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 323,100–1,723,200 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 10,200 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,155,600 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 3,165,000–22,155,000 Rune bar 1, 50, 150 (noted) Rare 14,398–2,159,700 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 122,760 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 120,275–1,202,750 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 146,490–585,960 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 76,080–760,800 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 178,250 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 5,913 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 68,615–3,430,750 Magic seed 1–7 Rare 153,198–1,072,386 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,001,410 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 2,319 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 23,156–717,836 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 2,242 Yew logs 50–20,000 (noted) Rare 23,450–9,380,000 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (FM) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (WC) 1 Very rare Not sold
- According to the May Behind the Scenes article, it was intended for the Queen Black Dragon to be so large enough to fit 5 King Black Dragons into her mouth alone; however, she is not quite that big in the concept art nor in encounters, although upon entering her lair, the game camera zooms out further to make it look as if the Queen Black Dragon is very large in comparison to the player.
- The platform upon which the Queen Black Dragon is fought is the Stone of Jas half of the Dragonkin emblem, who are responsible for the creation of the Queen Black Dragon, as well as all of the other species of dragons across Runescape.
- Before the release of the Evolution of Combat, the Queen Black Dragon had a combat level of 2100, the highest level ever attained by any attackable monster.
- According to a Postbag from the Hedge, the Queen Black Dragon is on a body of water to "tend" the flames in her furnace. She also calls her creator "Father", and she waits for him to come back, instead of being angry that he had abandoned her.
- This boss was revealed at the Runefest 2011 Future Updates session by Mod Mark. The Kalphite King was the other boss planned alongside the Queen Black Dragon.
- Before the release of the Evolution of Combat, the Queen Black Dragon could charge the dragonfire shield in one fire breath attack, which other dragonfire could not accomplish.
- The update of 7 August 2012 changed the Queen Black Dragon. Among other things, she can now drop charms, some less profitable rewards have been removed, and her standard dragonfire has a cool-down of about ten seconds.
- Originally, the Queen Black Dragon did not count for a Black dragon slayer assignment. However, with the release of the Wilderness Warbands update, she now counts as a Black dragon.
- Despite having no stun-immune icon, the Queen Black Dragon is unaffected by stuns. This has been fixed on 17 February 2014.
- Along with the patch notes, the player can now quick-start the fight by clicking the second option, rather than leaving the chest room to go to the portal and then restart the fight.
- If a player recieves any unique, non-effigy/royal drop, the Adventurer's log will say "While battling the Queen Black Dragon, I looted a (unique item)." If a player gets an effigy, the log will say "After killing a Queen Black Dragon, it dropped an effigy.", even though the Queen Black Dragon cannot be killed and it's drops are by looting the chest, not by killing it.
- When in the spirit realm at the ruins in level 47 of the Wilderness, there is a symbol on the walls that looks similar to the Queen Black Dragon's arena-half of a circle with a hexagon pattern, joined at the cut-off point by what could be the magical platforms that lead to the artefacts.
- For a while after the Evolution of Combat, when investigating the portal the Pre-EoC combat value was used, stating that the player should have at least a combat level of 120 before fighting her. This has been fixed and the message is still the same, although the portal recommends that the player should be have at least a combat level of 170 before fighting her.
- The Queen Black Dragon could very well be a reference to Alfred Tennyson's "The Kraken", wherein the Kraken is also in a deep slumber, lives deep in a "grot", and is covered with "huge sea-worms".
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Nex||Strongest attackable monster in RuneScape||Kal'Ger the Warmonger (strongest version)|
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Nex||Strongest attackable monster in RuneScape outside of Daemonheim (With Nex)||Kalphite King|
|Monsters||Queen Black Dragon • Giant worm • Tortured soul • Young grotworm • Grotworm • Mature grotworm|
|Drops||Royal dragonhide • Royal cape • Coral bolts • Royal bolts • Dragonbone upgrade kit • Draconic visage|
|Royal crossbow||Coral crossbow • Royal sight • Royal bolt stabiliser • Royal frame • Royal torsion spring|
|Dragonkin journals||First • Second • Third • Fourth|
|White Knights||Sir Loynst Ayke • Sir Pent • Sir Remony • Sir Render • Sir Rial • Sir Rillic • Sir Rinch • Sir Rogate • Sir Rownd • Sir Ruppe • Sir Vey|
|Misc.||QBD Strategies • QBD money making • Mature grotworms money making • Coral crossbow|
|Low-level bosses||Agoroth • Dragith Nurn • Tormented wraith • Giant Mole|
Dragons and dragon-like races
|Chromatic dragons||Green dragon (brutal) (Daemonheim) (baby) • Blue dragon (baby) • Red dragon (baby) (Daemonheim) • Black dragon (baby) (Daemonheim) • White dragon ( Celestial dragon)|
|Metal dragons||Bronze dragon • Iron dragon (Daemonheim) • Steel dragon • Mithril dragon|
|Other||Frost dragon (Daemonheim) • Skeletal Wyvern • Revenant dragon • Fairy Dragon|
|Notable dragons||King Black Dragon•Queen Black Dragon • Elvarg • Mr. Mordaut• Therragorn • K'klik • Tutorial dragon • Three-headed dragon|
|Dragonkin||Dragonkin (NPC) • Sakirth • Sithaph • Strisath • Kerapac • Taraket|
|Chaos Elemental • Corporeal Beast • Dharok the Wretched • Dragonkin • Evil Chicken • General Graardor • Goblin • Imp • Queen Black Dragon • Big Chinchompa • Char • Commander Zilyana • K'ril Tsutsaroth • Kalphite King • King Black Dragon • Kree'arra • Lucien • Moia • Nex • Nomad • Saradomin Colossus • Skeletal Horror • Thalassus • Troll • TzHaar • TzTok-Jad • Vanescula Drakan • Vorago • Yelps • Zombie pirate|
|Items||Hannibus Hunted • Dragonkin Primer • Animate Rock scroll • Iron oxide • Dragonkin memory|
|Rewards|| Dragon Rider amulet • Bonus experience in Divination
|Music||Contemplation • Confrontation|
|Locations||Varrock Museum • Robert the Strong's library • Brimhaven Dungeon • Forinthry Dungeon • Grotworm Lair • Dragontooth Island|