|Release date||20 November 2012 (Update)|
|Taunt your target, forcing them to focus their attacks on you. Player targets have their damage reduced 50% when attacking anyone other than yourself. However, you also do 50% less damage when attacking any other player. Lasts 6 seconds.|
Click animation for full size
Provoke is a basic Defence ability. It has two effects which apply depending on the situation the user is in.
- The first effect applies to multi-combat PvP situations. For 6 seconds, both the user and the target deal 50% less damage to any other players they attack, discouraging the target from attacking other players. It has no effect when both the user and the target attack each other.
- The second effect applies to any PvE situation. When used, the monster that the player used Provoke on will start attacking the user instead. This is important in situations where the monster has mechanics that requires shifting its aggression towards other players.
- Some monsters have the Provoke Immune buff which prevents them from being provoked.
- If used with the Taunting perk, it will cause all monsters in a 5x5 radius to attack the user.
Provoke can be activated outside the global cooldown but generates no adrenaline if used this way.
- Provoke and Natural Instinct are the only abilities that have completely different effects depending on whether they are used against a player or a monster.
- Since 5 February 2018, Provoke can be activated outside the global cooldown.