Runecrafting pouches are items that can hold varying amounts of rune essence or pure essence. Pouches are highly useful during Runecrafting because they can more than double the amount of essence that can be carried per load (with all pouches being used, you can carry up to 71 essences in your inventory).
There are five different sizes of pouches. Players may only own one of each size, except for the massive pouch (however, only one massive pouch can be filled at a time). As the size of the pouch increases, so does the Runecrafting level required to use it. Each pouch can carry either pure essence or rune essence, but not both at once.
According to the abyssal book, runecrafting pouches are made out of organs harvested from abyssal creatures. Placing magically unstable objects (i.e. rune essence) inside the organ transports them into abyssal space, allowing the organ to hold more than its external appearance would seem to permit. However, as it is used the organ's storage capacity degrades and must be repaired by magical means.
These pouches are among the items never kept on death. If a pouch is dropped with rune essence or pure essence inside, they will disappear from the pouch and become irretrievable.
Types of pouchesEdit
|Uses before decay|| Uses before decay|
with Repair Rune Pouch
|1||Small pouch||3 (3)||N/A||N/A|
|25||Medium pouch||6 (9)||45||225|
|50||Large pouch||9 (18)||29||145|
|75||Giant pouch||12 (30)||10||53|
|90||Massive pouch||18 (48)||42||N/A|
Pouches, except for massive pouches, are dropped by Abyssal leeches, guardians, and walkers. They live in two areas of abyssal space, one accessed through the Mage of Zamorak in level 5 Wilderness north of Edgeville, and the other via fairy rings.
The pouches are dropped in increasing size. If you have a small pouch, which the dark mage can give for free, in your bank or inventory you will get a medium pouch, and so forth. Once you have a giant pouch, the abyssal creatures will stop dropping them. Note that the pouches are obtainable before players reach the level required to use them.
Wizard Korvak in the Runecrafting Guild can replace lost medium pouches for free. He also sells Large pouches for 25,000 coins and Giant pouches for 50,000 coins. However, you need a Runecrafting level of 50 to get into the Runecrafting guild area to buy pouches.
Pouches degrade over time and each one will accept a number of uses before it degrades. When they do, the capacity of the pouch is reduced by a few essences (3 for the giant pouch, 2 for the large pouch, 1 for the medium pouch). It decays within:
- 10 full uses (120 essences) for the giant pouch,
- 29 full uses (261 essences) for the large pouch, and
- 45 full uses (270 essences) for the medium pouch.
The small pouch does not decay. Pouches decay on filling them, not emptying them. Degraded pouches will continue to degrade and lose essence capacity until they disappear or are repaired. There are four ways to repair pouches:
- Talk to the dark mage in the Abyss and he will repair them for free. It is not required to have the pouches in one's inventory; he can fix the pouches even if they are stored in the bank. All pouches are repaired at the same time by the Dark mage even if they have not visibly decayed.
- NPC Contact (Lunar spell) - as of 8 December 2009, players who have access to the lunar spellbook can use the NPC Contact spell to have the dark mage repair pouches from afar. This saves the player a long trip to the Abyss.
- Repair Rune Pouch (Lunar spell) - as of 4 April 2011, you can repair and strengthen your pouches via this spell in the lunar spellbook. This spell must first be unlocked in the Livid Farm for 70,000 produce points, and requires a magic level of 75 to cast as well as 2 astral, 1 cosmic, and 1 law rune. Strengthening the pouches enables five times as many uses before the pouches decay.
- Wizard Korvak in the Runecrafting Guild can replace lost medium pouches for free, and repair any others that need it for a small fee: Large pouch repairs cost 9,000 coins and Giant pouch repairs cost 12,000 coins. Again, you need a Runecrafting level of 50 to get into the Runecrafting guild area to speak to Wizard Korvak.
- When you attempt to craft runes at the altar with an abyssal titan familiar summonned and only have higher-level pouch/pouches in your inventory (and you do not have the lower level ones in the bank) the missing pouches will appear in your familiar's inventory.