|Release date||7 September 2004 (Update)|
|High alch||0 coins|
|Low alch||0 coins|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Exchange price||1,822 coins (info)|
|Examine||How am I supposed to eat that? Used in Herblore(76), Summoning(25).|
- Herblore – as a secondary ingredient when creating Super magic potions.
- Farming - can be grown from Potato cactus seed.
- Summoning – as a binding component when infusing spirit kalphite pouches.
- Gathering potato cacti is a good way to make money, but sometimes can be difficult to sell on the Grand Exchange.
Dropping monsters Edit
|Desert strykewyrm||148||5–10 (noted)||Common|
|Ancient warrior||148||1 (noted)||Rare|
|Infested axe||105||1 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Fungal mage||81||8 (noted)||Common|
|Kalphite Soldier||94||1–2 (noted)||Uncommon|
Kalphite Hive Edit
There are a total of 14 spawns in the Kalphite Hive:
- 1st level – 3 spawn in the south-west room where the Kalphite Soldiers are found.
- 2nd level – 7 spawn on the west wall next to the lethal Kalphite Queen.
- 3rd level – 4 spawn, one in each of the corners of the room. This part of the Kalphite Hive is accessible only after the Do No Evil quest by climbing down a hole in the 2nd level next to the Kalphite Queen, or by taking a hidden entrance south of the desert entrance.
Note: Prior to a player entering the Kalphite Hive, it is highly recommended they bring along a few antipoison potions or alternatively, an Anti-Poison Totem, as Kalphite Soldiers and Kalphite Guardians are poisonous. Kalphite workers and the Kalphite Queen, however, are not poisonous - but be warned that the Kalphite Queen is level 200
Potato cacti are possible loot from Spirit implings.
20 noted potato cacti can be obtained daily from the Weird Old Man near the Kalphite Hive, after completion of the medium Desert tasks. This increases to 30 after the completion of the hard tasks, and to 40 after the elite tasks.
Potato cactus seeds can be planted in a cactus patch to grow a potato cactus plant, which take 560 minutes time to grow if no diseases occur. It will provide potato cacti just like a fruit tree provides fruit; it will keep growing back. The maximum amount of cacti it will store is 3 (6 with all the desert tasks complete and possibly more if one has a giant ent familiar).
- The Potato cacti's appearances resemble those of the brittle pricklypears (Opuntia fragilis) found in dry western regions of North America.