|Release date||28 November 2011 (Update)|
|High Alch||120,000 coins|
|Low Alch||80,000 coins|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Exchange price||222,383 coins (info)|
|Examine||Imbued with power from the fungi growing on it.|
The polypore staff is a two-handed magical staff requiring 75 Magic to wield, however a Magic level of 80 is required to use its built in spell. It is created by adding 3,000 polypore spores and 15,000 Fire runes to a polypore stick. Doing so requires a minimum of 80 Farming, which can be assisted or boosted by items such as garden pies, and gives 300 Farming experience, or 0.1 experience per charge. Both hands must be free in order to charge the staff. Once created, a polypore staff will carry 3,000 charges. The staff may be repaired at any time in the same manner in which it is created, by adding fire runes and polypore spores to a degraded polypore staff.
The polypore staff can be used to cast regular spells, but it can also cast its unique spell Polypore Strike, which is classed as an air spell. To use Polypore Strike, players must auto-cast the spell from the spell book section of the Ability book. This spell is available on all spellbooks and is the only combat spell on the Lunar spellbook.
The staff has 3,000 charges when fully charged. When the staff is used in combat, each attack the player makes with the staff uses one charge. The attack is a Magic (Air) attack and does not consume any runes, though the average price per cast is approximately 53, assuming that you sell the stick afterwards. The staff has a 2384 accuracy bonus.
When a fully-charged polypore staff is used to make an attack, it becomes a "Polypore staff (degraded)". However, this is only a name change and no combat abilities of the staff are lost or changed; it just becomes untradeable. When all the charges are used up, the staff reverts to a polypore stick. The player can create the polypore staff from the stick by repeating the process that charged it. The player can also recharge a degraded polypore staff; this requires polypore spores, fire runes in proportion to how much the staff is degraded, and level 80 farming. For example, a staff that has used 1,000 charges (2,000 remaining) requires 1,000 spores and 5,000 fire runes to fully restore. The staff may only be traded when fully charged. Charging the staff gives 0.1 farming XP per charge.
The staff can be cleaned using a right-click option - doing this will revert the staff to a polypore stick and give back the spores equivalent to half of the remaining charges.
The polypore staff is a very popular Barrows weapon, being cheap to use, quite effective against all the melee-using brothers, and stronger than other popular magic weapons such as the Slayer's staff, as well as not needing space for runes.
One charge at current Grand Exchange prices costs 53.
The price to fully recharge the staff at current Grand Exchange prices costs 159,000.
The profit for selling a recharged stick at current Grand Exchange prices is 19,808.
A player wielding a polypore staff
A player wielding a degraded polypore staff
|[view] • [talk]|
A notification appears in the chat box when the staff's charges are half way used up.
Comparison with other magical weaponsEdit
|Name||Levels to equip||Cost||Damage||Accuracy||Notes|
|Dominion staff||90||Free reward||0||2458||
|Greater runic staff||75|
|Staff of light||75|
|Enhanced ancient staff||70|
|Elite desert diary||0||1694|
Polypore Strike before the EoCEdit
Previous to the Evolution of Combat, Polypore Strike was used by selecting a stance in the Combat tab rather than being auto-casted in the Ability book.
Polypore Strike was extremely powerful. With no other damage boosts aside from the staff's 13%, it was possible to hit as high as 355 damage at 99 Magic. Additionally, due to the fact that it does not require a specific spellbook to use, it was combined with spells from any of the three spellbooks, such as Entangle from the standard spellbook or the Lunar spell Vengeance, or Ice Barrage from ancient magicks.
The Celestial surgebox did not grant the wearer an additional splat every 5th successful hit.Not including the 13% boost from the staff, the max hit of the spell was equal to (5 * magic level) - 180. At level 106 Magic with an Extreme magic potion or Magic Focus scroll (extreme magic only boosted by +7 before the EoC), the caster could achieve a maximum hit of 410. With 99 Magic, an extreme magic potion or equivalent, an arcane stream necklace, a hexcrest, and a ferocious ring, it was possible to hit 672, which had been the highest possible Magic spell hit before the EoC, not including fire spells on ice strykewyrms and Glacors, or magic attacks while a lava crystal (magic) is in effect. In Castle Wars with proper damage boosting equipment (including Profound equipment and Castle wars brace) a max hit of 942 had been achieved.
^ When boosting one's Magic level, the new level was calculated into the attack's base maximum hit. This carried over for any boosts that would bring the level over 99. The maximum Magic level possible to obtain is 109, with use of the Dominion Marker 4.
- When attempting to craft the staff without the required fire runes, the game will display a message saying, "You require 5 fire runes for each polypore spore. The staff will not accept substitutes."
- There was controversy over the staff's 80 Attack requirement. Many felt that since it was impossible to attack with Melee with the staff, the staff shouldn't have had a Melee requirement. However, it was confirmed that the Attack requirement was to be removed, and the melee bonuses reduced. This update occurred on 6 December 2011.
- Upon reaching 1,500 charges (half the total charges) the Polypore staff changes appearance, losing much of its colour. A message will appear in the chatbox informing the player that the staff has partially degraded. When recharging the staff, even if it is still below 1500 charges after charging, the staff is shown with the enhanced colours during the charging animation.
- Before the Evolution of Combat, this item had a Prayer bonus.
- Polypore staves are commonly used for Player Killing and doing PvM activities. After the Evolution of Combat, it is still used, though not as frequently, and its attacks are air-based.
- The Polypore staff's attack are similar to the Magic attack of the inhabitants of Polypore Dungeon.
- The Polypore staff's animation seems to be modeled after Kal'Ger the Warmonger's attack animation when he uses his Celestial catalytic staff.
- Polypore is a most common and widespread group of fungi or wild mushrooms. Thus, the Polypore staff and and Polypore dungeon consisting of fungi and mushrooms; it was given the name polypore.
|Mycelium web armour|
Ahrim's • Ancient Enhanced • Blisterwood • Broken • Caitlin's • Crozier • Dominion • Dramen • Iban's • Lunar • MindspikeTower • Penance trident • Pharaoh's sceptre • Polypore • Rod of Ivandis • Sacred clay • Skull sceptre • Slayer's • Staff of Armadyl • Staff of light • StarfireStarfury • Third-age druidic • Toktz-mej-tal • Wizards' Tower Zuriel's corrupt