When a player or monster is poisoned, a number appears with a green hitsplat (), indicating the amount of damage the poison has dealt to their life points.
It is also interesting to note that being afflicted by poison does not disrupt skilling, but players cannot rest if they are poisoned.
Players will not take damage from poison during cutscenes, but their health still regenerates normally.
The trap on the Sinister chest can cause poison.
Weapon poison is made through the Herblore skill. When the poison is used by the player, the players weapons will be poisonous for a limited time. Any weapon may be poisoned, although only for a limited duration.
The duration for which weapons will be poisonous depends on the strength of poison used:
- Weapon poison - 1 minute duration - The current Grand Exchange price is 153 per dose.
- Weapon poison+ or Extra strong weapon poison - 5 minute duration - The current Grand Exchange price is 1,338 coins per (1) dose.
- Weapon poison++ or Super strong weapon poison - 7 minute duration - The current Grand Exchange price is 3,994 coins per (1) dose.
- Emerald bolts (e) - Mithril bolts can be made with level 53 Smithing and level 54 Fletching. Emerald bolt tips can be added at level 58 Fletching, then enchanted with level 27 Magic. The current Grand Exchange price = 226 a piece.
Poison can be cured through antidotes. Anti-poison potions are the most popular antidote and they come in various levels which provide progressively longer immunity to poisoning. All regular poisons can be cured by regular antipoison, even that inflicted upon players by K'ril Tsutsaroth. Some antidotes provide immunity for a temporary period of time, in which you cannot be poisoned.
- Super antipoison
- Prayer book (no immunity)
- Strange fruit (no immunity)
- Guthix rest (reduces poison damage per hit by 10)
- Sanfew Serum
- Oo'glog thermal bath
- Cure Me (no immunity)
- Cure Other (no immunity)
- Cure Group (no immunity)
- In RuneScape 3, click the button adjacent to your health bar on the action bar to heal poison if you possess an anti-poison. This function can also be assigned to a hotkey as "Quick Heal" in the options menu.
- Right-clicking "Cure" on the Unicorn Stallion familiar will cure poison. However, it does cost the player some summoning points, and will not grant the player immunity.
- Wearing an Anti-poison totem in the shield slot provides full immunity to poison. This requires 60 Defence, 60 Dungeoneering, and 70 Herblore. The totem cannot cure poison; it only prevents players from becoming poisoned.
- Using the poison purge aura will cause all poison to heal you instead of damage you for ten minutes. It has a cooldown period of one hour.
A safe alternative is to teleport to your Player-Owned House, so when you die, you will not lose items and instead, be teleported outside of your house. A faster method involving the Player Owned House to cure poison is to simply leave the house by using the teleportation methods available in the house (e.g. mounted amulet of glory, the Portal Chamber or simply leaving your house through the Exit Portal). This will cure your poison completely.
- Prior to the Evolution of Combat Karambwan paste (made from partially cooking a Raw karambwan) caused spears and hastae to become poisonous when the paste was applied to them. However, the paste no longer has any poison effect on the weapons, and weapons with karambwan paste applied to them may not be used in combat.