Poison is a detriment that players and monsters may suffer when they are attacked by a poisoned weapon or poisonous non-player characters. The trap on the Sinister chest can also cause poisoning. The damage can range from 1 to theoretically over 10,000 (Har'Lakk the Riftsplitter's accumulating poison), and it strikes every 10 seconds or whenever an attack re-applies it. Poison can be cured by an Antipoison, which is handy to have with you when fighting poisonous monsters.
It is also interesting to note that being afflicted by poison does not disrupt skilling, Home Teleport, or put the player into combat stance, but players cannot rest if they are poisoned. Players will not take damage from poison during cutscenes, but their health still regenerates normally.
Weapon poison is made through the Herblore skill. When the poison is used, the player's attacks will become poisonous for a limited time. Any attack style can benefit from weapon poison, including magic spells. Multi-target abilities like Ricochet will have a chance to apply poison to secondary targets.
The duration for which weapons will be poisonous depends on the strength of poison used:
- Weapon poison - time limit: 2 minute 30 seconds duration - The current Grand Exchange price is 12 per dose.
- Weapon poison+ or Extra strong weapon poison - time limit: 5 minute duration - The current Grand Exchange price is 1,050 coins per (1) dose.
- Weapon poison++ or Super strong weapon poison - time limit: 10 minute duration - The current Grand Exchange price is 6,910 coins per (1) dose.
- Emerald bolts (e) - Mithril bolts can be made with level 53 Smithing and level 54 Fletching. Emerald bolt tips can be added at level 58 Fletching, then enchanted with level 27 Magic. The current Grand Exchange price = 243 a piece.
Cure and PreventionEdit
Poison can be cured using various types of remedies, some of which provide an immunity. Anti-poison potions are the most popular antidote and they come in various levels which provide progressively longer immunity to poisoning. All regular poisons can be cured by regular antipoison, even that inflicted upon players by K'ril Tsutsaroth.
In RuneScape 3, poison can be cured by right-clicking on the heart icon next to the health bar when it is green with poison. This requires the player to have an antipoison in their inventory.
Cure & ImmunityEdit
- Prayer book & Holy Symbol
- Strange fruit
- Cure Me
- Cure Other
- Cure Group
- Unicorn stallion familiar will cure poison at the cost of summoning points
- Guthix rest reduces poison damage per hit by 10
- Using the poison purge aura will cause all poison to heal the player
- An Inoculation brace will absorb 500 poison damage before degrading to nothing
A safe alternative for players is to teleport to their Player-owned house; dying there will result in no items being lost. Additionally, leaving the house by using the teleportation methods available (e.g. mounted amulet of glory, the portal chamber, Exit Portal) will also cure poison completely.
With the introduction of the Evolution of Combat, many significant changes to poison's mechanics were made.
- Poison used to always slowly reduce in damage over time in a regular order.
- Weapon poisons were used on a special weapon (arrows, daggers or spears) to make them poisonous until removed with a cleaning cloth.
- Karambwan paste caused spears and hastae to become poisonous when the paste was applied to them. The paste no longer has any poison effect on the weapons, and weapons with karambwan paste applied to them may not be used in combat.
- Smoke Spells from the Ancient Magicks spellbook could potentially poison targets and was the only way to do so using magic.