Phoenix egglings are pets introduced with the In Pyre Need quest. They come in cute and mean varieties, depending on how you hatched them. To obtain either of them you must have completed the quest In Pyre Need and complete the Phoenix Lair Distraction and Diversion. The phoenix pets do not have an adult form, and they eat ashes.
Obtaining an eggEdit
When a player chooses the option to exit the cave after completing the Phoenix Lair D&D, there is a slight possibility of getting lost. A cutscene will ensue, leading the player to a room full of phoenix eggs. The player will see that one of the eggs is shaking, and will be given the option to clap at the egg or kick it. To hatch a cute phoenix eggling you must choose the clap option. To hatch a mean phoenix eggling you must choose the kick option. You can have one of each type of pet phoenix.
- The mean hatchling's examine text is from the 1982 song, "Bad to the Bone."
- The cute hatchling's examine text is a reference to the idiom "cute as a button".
- There used to be a bug you could abuse to obtain both egglings in one day, by repeatedly attempting to "get lost". It has been fixed some time in the winter of 2009. It would take someone two to three hours to obtain them.
- Many players consider the Phoenix eggling to be one of (after the extremely rare Vitalis pet dropped by Vorago) the hardest pets to collect, due to the fact it can only be attempted once per day. The only other pets generally considered "on par" in rarity are the slayer pets due to the fact the head (or hand) is a rare drop.
- If found, all players on your friend list would get the message: News: Player has found a Phoenix eggling! without specifying cute or mean.
|Phoenix • Desert Phoenix • Entrana firebird • Phoenix eggling • Phoenix (familiar)|
|Slayer Tower||Crawling Hand • Banshee • Infernal Mage • Bloodveld • Aberrant spectre • Gargoyle • Nechryael • Abyssal demon|
|Fremennik Slayer Dungeon||Cave crawler • Rockslug • Cockatrice • Pyrefiend • Basilisk • Jelly • Turoth • Kurask • Aquanite|
|Lumbridge Swamp Caves||Cave bug • Cave crawler • Cave slime • Wall beast|
|Poison Waste Slayer Dungeon||Warped terrorbird • Warped tortoise|
|Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon||Banshee (Mighty) • Cave crawler (Monstrous) • Basilisk (boss) • Turoth (Mightiest and Swarming turoth) • Kurask (overlord) • Aberrant spectre|
|Meiyerditch Dungeon||Zombie hand • Skeletal hand • Bloodveld • Mutated bloodveld|
|God Wars Dungeon||Pyrefiend • Bloodveld • Spiritual ranger • Spiritual warrior • Spiritual mage|
|Jadinko Lair||Mutated jadinko baby • Mutated jadinko guard • Mutated jadinko male|
|Polypore Dungeon||Grifolaroo • Grifolapine • Ganodermic runt • Ganodermic beast|
|Monastery of Ascension||Gladius • Capsarius • Scutarius • Rorarius • Legiones|
|Guthix's Cave||Automaton Generator • Automaton Guardian •Automaton Tracer|
|Daemonheim||Crawling hand • Cave crawler • Cave slime • Pyrefiend • Night spider • Jelly • Spiritual guardian • Seeker • Nechryael • Edimmu • Soulgazer|
|Others||Gelatinous Abomination • Desert Lizard • Mogre • Harpie Bug Swarm • Killerwatt • Molanisk • Terror dog • Brine rat • Fever spider • Mutated zygomite • Cave horror • 'Rum'-pumped crab • Dust devil • Skeletal Wyvern • Jungle strykewyrm • Desert strykewyrm • Dark beast • Ice strykewyrm • Airut|
|Specials||Bork • Skeletal horror • Phoenix • Jade vine(wild)|