|Release date||6 January 2009 (Update)|
|Skills||Crafting, Fletching, Firemaking, Slayer|
The Phoenix Lair is a single-player Distraction and Diversion. Players must have completed the quest In Pyre Need to enter the Phoenix Lair. This D&D can be done once per day resetting at 00:00 UTC and requires 51 Slayer.
Phoenix Lair is near the Piscatoris Fishing Colony. Players can get to the area by walking or one of these methods:
- Use the Phoenix Lair Teleport scroll obtained from Treasure Trails. It takes you to the entrance of the lair, and is very cheap at 98 coins. This is the fastest method to get to the lair.
- Teleport using the ability of the Mask of the Airut.
- Take the rowboat near the Eagle's Peak lodestone, west of the Tree Gnome Stronghold.
- Use Fairy ring AKQ - Kandarin: Piscatoris Hunter area - (requires partial completion of Fairytale II - Cure a Queen). The closest bank is northwest of the master fairy ring in Zanaris.
- Teleport to the Piscatoris Hunter area using a Spirit kyatt's ability (requires Summoning level 57 and a Spirit kyatt pouch).
- Use the Teleport from Memory strands located in the currency pouch and obtained from training Divination and walk north. There is also a bank nearby.
In the Phoenix Lair, players must navigate through a series of caverns and optionally fight against the aggressive reborn monstrosities that can teleport to attack the player if another reborn is already attacking the player. The monsters that may be encountered are:
- Greater reborn mage
- Greater reborn warrior
- Greater reborn ranger
- Lesser reborn mage
- Lesser reborn warrior
- Lesser reborn ranger
Summoning familiars can be used in the cavern. Combat familiars can be used to help you fight through the caverns, but it is advised to simply avoid the monsters for speed. When heading for the next cavern, any damage your familiar took will be completely healed. High Level Alchemy cannot be used in the caverns.
In each of the first five caverns, players collect twigs from trees. These will later need to be cut into ribbons which are then used to build the phoenix's pyre in the last cavern calling the Phoenix to battle.
The Phoenix has a Combat level of 84, her main attack is Magic-based, and she is weak to arrows. She also has an unblockable dust attack, which lowers Attack, Ranged, and Magic level by approximately 50 percent for a few seconds, nullifying stat-boosting potions.
When the Phoenix has been defeated, she crawls onto the pyre. The player can then light the pyre to set it alight, and the Phoenix is consumed by the flames to be reborn. Once she reappears, the player can talk to her to receive the reward and to optionally engage in some dialogue.
Logging out, using an "Escape" exit, or teleporting before the Phoenix's pyre has been lit will require you to start over, even if you have already finished the battle and the Phoenix is wounded. If you forget to talk to the Phoenix before exiting the cave, the next time you enter the cave system you will be in her cave and be able to obtain your quills.
Speedrunning the cavesEdit
Players who wish to complete the Phoenix lair as fast as possible but without paying 10 Phoenix quills should follow the following guidelines:
- Turn off auto-retaliate so that the reborn monsters do not drag you toward them.
- Avoid killing any reborn monster and go straight to the tree in every cavern.
- Use Surge whenever possible.
- Immediately after clicking a tree click the entrance to the next cave. You do not need to wait for the animation of collecting the twig to end.
- As soon as you enter the final chamber, turn auto-retaliate on so that in case the Phoenix attacks you first, your character will immediately retaliate.
- After killing the Phoenix, light the pyre, collect your reward, by talking to the phoenix, and surge to the exit.
Reward for completing the Phoenix's "challenge" each time:
- 7,500 Firemaking experience
- 3,000 Fletching experience
- 1,000 Crafting experience
- 500 Slayer experience (5,000 Slayer experience is awarded the first time the Phoenix is defeated)
- 5 Phoenix quills (33,520 coins total) from talking to the Phoenix after it is defeated and reborn
- A chance to receive a phoenix egg. If a player teleports out or dies after claiming the quills they will NOT have a chance at a pet. A Cute phoenix eggling can be hatched by clapping to the egg. A Mean Phoenix Eggling can be hatched by kicking the egg. You can have one of each variation and the 'drop chance' of the second pet will be the exact same as the first pet. Level 72 Summoning is required to hatch the egg within the cavern; however, you may obtain the egg without the required Summoning level.
- Any items you collected from the first five caverns.