A pet is a non-combat NPC loyal to a player that generally requires a certain level in Summoning to own. Typically, a player must raise a pet to maturity by having it follow them. Many pets can also be fed and interacted with. Most pets do not serve a purpose other than decoration, however, some pets are used in quests and have other additional benefits.
A player may only have one pet, familiar, or NPC (e.g. Zanik, or the Zanaris choir) following them at one time. Players can manage pets while active through the familiar interface, by using food on them, by left-clicking, and with direct interaction by right-clicking.
Pets that exist as objects may be stored in the bank or inventory, and follow the player when dropped. Other pets are automatically stored in the Hero interface and can be called to follow the player at any time. Players can store up to 25 pets in the Menagerie of a player-owned house (with the highest-level pet houses). Unlike familiars, pets may be brought into Summoning-free zones.
Many pets require an appropriate Summoning level to be obtained, raised, and kept. With some exceptions, such as god birds for protection in the God Wars Dungeon, these pets have no real use other than decoration, or as a way to show off a player's Summoning level.
Caring for petsEdit
When a pet is first obtained, it is in its lowest growth stage and grows as it follows the player, with the exception of several pets which only have one growth stage such as the Broav.
A player can monitor a pet's growth and hunger in the Summoning menu. Younger pets become hungrier faster than their adult counterparts, but the frequency of feeding does not affect a pet's growth rate.
Unlike other pets, kittens must be stroked and fed regularly or they run away. Once they reach adult stage, they no longer need to be fed.
At 100% growth, the pet matures into its next form. Pets can have up to three growth stages. Legendary pets obtained from Solomon's General Store can be interacted with and can be fed different types of food that can also be obtained from the store, which speeds up their growth significantly.
Pets that hatch from eggs need to be incubated before they hatch, which requires them to be placed in an egg incubator found in the Pet shops in Taverley and Yanille. Players receive a chat box notification when the egg has hatched. Any pet hatched in an incubator remains there until the player chooses to retrieve it. Pet shop owners are also the only NPCs that sell specific food for pets.
A player may speak with a pet once they are 10 or more Summoning levels above the required Summoning level to obtain that pet. Communication with pets above the level of 90 is possible, with the exception of the Baby dragon, which cannot be understood regardless of how high the player boosts their Summoning level. The Monkey can be spoken to if the player wears the Monkeyspeak amulet from Monkey Madness, and the TzRek-Jad is naturally capable of speech. Players with 99 summoning can communicate with a Chameleon after using the cape's right click "boost" option to temporarily achieve level 100 summoning.
Pets that are stored in the 'Hero' interface function differently from other pets. These are separated into three categories: Follower, Legendary and Companion. These do not need any feeding, although legendary pets can be given treats to make them grow more quickly.
These pets exist as objects. When dropped, they follow the player. Note: If a player dies while their pet is following them, it disappears and the player has to find a new one.
These pets require a specific Summoning level to obtain, as well as other requirements.
|4||-||Bulldog||Raw meat and Bones||Purchased from pet shop||3|
|4 , 5||Creeping hand||Leather gloves||Soul Wars||1|
|4 , 25||Minitrice||Limpwurt root|
|4 , 40||Baby basilisk||Eye of newt|
|4 , 70||Baby kurask||Bones|
|4 , 85||Abyssal minion||Ashes|
|4 , Rune Mechanics||Rune guardian||Revitalisation near a Runecrafting altar||Quest reward||14|
|10 , 27||-||Gecko||Flies and beetle bits||Caught||4|
|10 , 48 , As a First Resort||-||Platypus||Raw fish, Ground fishing bait as a baby, Fishing bait as adult||Caught (quest reward)||3|
|14 , Bringing Home the Bacon||Pig||Wheat, Onions||Quest reward||3|
|23 , While Guthix Sleeps||Broav||Mort Myre Fungus||Caught (quest reward)||1|
|30||-||Penguin||Raw fish||Hatched (Zoo keeper)||3|
|37 , Fairytale III||- /||Tooth creature||Bucket of milk or Chocolatey milk||Bought for several teeth after quest. Free afterwards.||1|
|40 , 32 , Pirate Pete subquest RFD||-||Giant crab||Raw fish||Traded for a crunchy claw token||5|
|50||-||Raven||Ground fishing bait as a chick, fishing bait as adult||Hatched (Nest)||6|
|70||- -||Guthix raptor||Ground fishing bait as a chick, fishing bait as adult||Hatched (Nest)||1|
|- -||Saradomin owl|
|- -||Zamorak hawk|
|71 , Rocking Out||Ex-ex-parrot||Rock fragments||Revive an ex-parrot obtained from 50 Ships Mufassah||1|
|72 , 51 , In Pyre Need||Phoenix eggling (cute)||Ashes||Hatched (Phoenix Lair Distractions and Diversions)||1|
|Phoenix eggling (mean)|
|75||Hermit crab||Raw fish||Found during Prifddinas Waterfall Fishing||1|
|80 , 27||-||Raccoon||Raw meat and fish||Caught||3|
|80 , 80||-||Sneakerpeeper spawn||Eye of newt||Bought for 85,000 Dungeoneering Tokens||1|
|85||-||Vulture||Ground fishing bait as a chick, fishing bait as adult||Hatched (Vulture drop)||6|
|95 , 27||-||Monkey||Bananas||Caught in Karamja||10|
|99||-||Baby dragon||Vast amounts of raw meat, fish and chicken||Hatched (Chromatic Dragon drop)||4|
|99 , 99||TzRek-Jad||Nothing||Soul wars||1|
These pets do not have Summoning requirements and instead have other requirements.
| - - |
|Normal Cat||Cooked and raw fish, or milk|
(only needs to eat as a kitten)
|Gertrude, after completing Gertrude's cat||6|
|- -||Hellcat||Created from a normal cat during or after Recipe for Disaster/Freeing Evil Dave by catching several Hellrats||1|
|- -||Purple Cat||Created from a normal cat by talking to Wendy after completing Swept Away & Purple Cat Miniquest|
|Clockwork cat||Nothing||POH Workshop||1|
|Pet fish||Fish food||Caught in Harry's Fishing Shop using a tiny net, with a fishbowl (containing water and seaweed) in the inventory||3|
|Pet rock||Nothing||Askeladden after Fremennik Trials||1|
|Sparkles||Wizards' Tower basement during 2011 Christmas Event|
|Eek||2009 Hallowe'en event|
|Mackers||(Chocolate) Cake: including 1/3s and 2/3s||2011 Thanksgiving event|
|San'tar spawnling||Nothing||2013 Christmas event|
|Fire creature||Nothing||Char's training cave after The Firemaker's Curse (With level 91 Firemaking)||4|
|Baby Troll||Any tradeable item, plus some untradeable items, such as other pets||Obtained from Challenge Mistress Fara||1|
|Squidge||Cooked fish||Bought with 50 co-op points|
|Freezy||Nothing||Bought with 100 co-op points||4|
|Runtstable||Bought with 200 co-op points||1|
|-||Cresbot||Dropped by Automatons after The World Wakes|
|Vitalis||By using an Ancient summoning stone dropped by Vorago|
|Sq'irks the parrot|
|Bobblehead||Made using 250 Malevolent energy and the corresponding Barrows set||6|
These pets do not exist as objects. Instead, they are accessed through the 'Pets' tab in the Hero interface.
Follower pets can be spoken to for dialogue, with the exception of the rhinos. This is done by right-clicking the Summoning icon near the minimap.
Legendary pets have several unique abilities, described below. Pets in the baby stage can have one active ability, adolescent pets can have two, and adult pets can have three. Abilities can be switched out at any time unless that ability is on cooldown. Active abilites are switched via the pet interface by clicking on the "Abilities" button at the bottom right corner.
- Forage: The pet would randomly give a selection of items every now and then.
- Banking: The pet allows you to bank one item every 10 minutes.
- Scavenge: The pet picks up items dropped by monsters. This can be configured to choose which items are picked up.
- Slayer Finisher: The pet automatically finishes off slayer monsters that usually require an item.
- Item repair: Once per hour, you can use a repairable degrading item on your pet to repair it immediately. This works – and costs – the same as using the POH armour stand. Some items can be recharged at once, e.g. Drygore Weaponry, Nex items
- Beast of Burden: Using a Beast of Burden pouch on the pet allows it to act as a version of that beast with the same time limit. Using multiple pouches on the pet lets you extend the time up to two hours. Unlike most Beasts of Burden, legendary pets do not use summoning points. An update on 14 September 2015 established their life points at 10,600. As such, they can be killed in PvM situations.
- High Level Alchemy: Once per 10 minutes, use an item on your pet to convert it to coins, as per the High Alchemy spell. This requires no runes, and gives no Magic XP. Requires 55 Magic.
- Fertiliser: Once an hour, the pet can be interacted to spawn Pet droppings. It can be picked up for six buckets of super compost. It also has a 1 in 10,000 chance of spawning Mod Daze's homework or Mod Dolan's rubber duck.
- Life Saver: The pet saves you from death, as per a ring of life. Note that this does not work in PvP areas and has a two-hour cooldown (logged-in time).
Note that life saver, slayer finisher, repair item and fertiliser aren't available for Ironman accounts.
Legendary pets gain pet points when they are summoned, at a rate of approximately 1 per minute. Another point, up to 30, is also "stored" in the pet and can be released by playing with the pet. 2400 points are needed for the pet to become an adult. These pets can be given a Tasty Treat, Jelly Treat or Growth Surge to make them grow to the next stage faster. There are 16 colour variations for these pets. Legendary pets are also able to override familiars.
|Bloodpouncer||Available with Game Card promotions and the Gold Membership package in 2013||N/A|
|Skypouncer||Solomon's General Store|| Free:|
|Dragon Wolf|| Free:|
|Warborn behemoth|| Free:|
|Prototype colossus|| Free:|
|Rory the Reindeer|| Free:|
|Shadow Drake|| Free:|
|Fire Drake|| Free:|
Companion pets have 16 colour variations and no growth stages. Each companion pet has a unique emote that can be performed by interacting with it by right-clicking the Summoning icon near the minimap. Companion pets are also able to override familiars.
|Vorago shard||Solomon's General Store|| Free:|
|Elvis Pressie|| Free:|
|Drakefire Warship|| Free:|
|Brightflame ancient|| Free:|
|Repentant beast|| Free:|
|Repentant ogre|| Free:|
|Piggles||Gained by purchasing Membership package||N/A|
|Pirate sheep||3,000 doubloons|
|Lava hawk||Purchase Gold Membership package||N/A|
|Kirin||Purchase any Membership packages using PayPal||N/A|
|Jaguar cub||Big Cats Sanctuary||9 points|
|Tiger cub||9 points|
|Lion cub||1 bond|
|Snow leopard cub||5 bonds|
|RuneFest dragonling||Attend RuneFest 2015||N/A|
Use and receptionEdit
When pets were first released, many players complained that pets still required food even when fully grown, unlike the cats, which required no feeding once a kitten had grown up. This was explained as stress on the server as having a pet or familiar out all the time would inevitably slow them down. This is also the reason why timers are implemented and no familiars are visible in high player density areas such as the Grand Exchange. Pets being high maintenance was too much bother to some players that would likely have the ability to own the higher level pets and wouldn't consider keeping them out other than for passive activities. This was especially true for pets with non-stackable food of which is currently the majority. Familiars however filled the gap that many thought pets would take, as skill/combat aids and beasts of burden, leaving pets largely ignored for lack of any ability.
- Initially, players could have mature God birds of differing Gods. Jagex limited God bird ownership to one bird for a time, but with the introduction of the Menagerie, it became possible to own all three God birds at once.
- Zamorak hawks and Saradomin Owls prevent warriors from said allegiances attacking you while in the God Wars Dungeon. This can be extremely useful for players who do not wish to be forced to wear a particular armour showing allegiance to said groups.
- Eek, the reward for completing the 2009 Hallowe'en Event, could be considered the first pet allowed to Non-members. However, because Eek won't follow you, she could be considered similar to a Pet rock or Pet fish. Eek can also be put into the menagerie, where the player has the option to 'Interact' with her, resulting in the same dialogue.
- Players originally had a limit on the number of pets they could own. This started with 2 pets of different types at level 1 Summoning, along with 2 more for every ten levels starting at level 11. However, the limit on different types of pets was removed on 16 January 2012.
- Prior to the introduction of Summoning, the only pets in Gielinor were cats, fish and pet rocks.
|Wikipedia has an article about:|