Pernix armour is a set of degradable high-level Ranged power armour that requires 80 Defence and 80 Constitution to wear. It was first mentioned on 3 January 2011 and released into the game on 10 January 2011. Pernix armour pieces may only be obtained as rare drops from Nex, the boss of the Zarosian stronghold of the God Wars Dungeon, the Ancient Prison. It is the Ranged counterpart to Virtus armour and Torva armour, which are respectively Magic and Melee sets.
As tier 80 equipment, Pernix armour is currently the fifth highest-level Ranged armour in the game (behind Death Lotus, Refined Anima Core of Zamorak, sirenic, and Tempest), and the third-best Ranged power armour.
Wearing any piece of Pernix, Torva, or Virtus armours, or wielding a Zaryte bow, Virtus wand, Virtus book, will cause all factions of monsters in the God Wars Dungeon (aside from bosses or the Ancient Prison) to be unaggressive.
Degrading and repairEdit
Ancient armour degrades as it is used. Equipment received from Nex is fully repaired and can be used for 60,000 charges of combat (though it degrades by 2 charges per hit, making the minimum time 5 hours) until it degrades completely and requires repair before it can be used again; it does not suffer in performance as it degrades from fully repaired to fully degraded. The remaining charges of Ancient armour can be checked by right-clicking it and selecting 'check-charge'. Additionally, Ancient armour may only be traded if fully repaired or fully degraded. Items lose 20% charge if reclaimed from a gravestone after dying.
There are two ways to repair Ancient armour. Players can talk to any of the NPCs listed below and they will repair the items for a price, or repair the pieces themselves using an armour stand in any player-owned house for a reduced cost based on their Smithing level. The equipment can be repaired at any stage, and the cost will be adjusted according to how much it has degraded. The repair costs below are as if the equipment has fully degraded.
The following NPCs can repair the armour:
- Bob - the axe seller in Lumbridge
- Tindel Marchant - the weapon and armour repairman at Port Khazard
- Dunstan - the smith in Burthorpe
- Squire - in the workshop area of the Void Knights' Outpost
| Costs to repair|
|NPC||POH Armour Stand|
|Level 1 Smithing||Level 99 Smithing|
|The price is exactly 50% when boosted to 100 Smithing|
template = Barrows repair/calc form = repairForm result = repairResult param = level|Smithing level (1-105)|1|int|1-105 param = price|price|3800000|hidden|
|The result will appear here when you submit the form.|
|Mainhand info||Off-hand info||Attributes||Strength bonus||Price|
Item shards are obtained from certain monsters while having CoinShare on. When a rare drop is given by the monster, 120 item shards are divided up among the involved players and sent to their banks. 120 shards can then be combined to give the original item.
|Pernix cowl shard||5,460||655,200|
|Pernix body shard||145,101||17,412,120|
|Pernix chaps shard||95,538||11,464,560|
|Pernix gloves shard||35,317||4,238,040|
|Pernix boots shard||43,114||5,173,680|
- "Pernix" is Latin for "swift", "nimble", or "agile".
- FightpitPKer, a player spoof, wears a full set of this armour, before its graphical update, during The Elder Kiln quest.
- Whenever Nex drops a piece of Torva, Pernix, or Virtus armour, a server wide announcement is broadcast to all players currently logged into that particular world.
- Pernix armour is named and modeled after Pernix, an elite ranger who served in Nex's army during the Third Age.
- ^ Mod Mark. "Behind the Scenes - January." 1 January 2010. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod Chris L. "God Wars Dungeon - The Ancient Prison." 10 January 2010. RuneScape News.
- ^ Pernix. Latin Dictionary and Grammar Aid. University of Notre Dame. 22:05, January 18, 2011 (UTC). "pernix -nicis [swift , nimble, agile]."*