Members, pay-to-play or P2P, are players who have paid subscriptions to have access to the full version of RuneScape. The pay-to-play version of RuneScape was first announced on 4 October 2001, and fully instated on 27 February 2002.
Jagex, the company that owns RuneScape, introduced Membership as a way to cover the vast majority of the costs of RuneScape, such as in-game updates, extra staffing, server hosting, etc. As a benefit, members have many more privileges and usable features in the game and on the RuneScape website.
Many people's critiques of the game are due solely to the limitations of a non-member in the game, specifically at a higher level as content and areas becomes repetitive and dull. However, a large proportion of the community do not see this as an issue, arguing that free players aren't entitled to the same benefits as paying customers.
See Membership subscription for payment options
In order to become a member and access the pay-to-play version of RuneScape, players must first have a subscription. When players subscribe, they receive members credit which allows them to access the pay-to-play version of RuneScape. When you start a subscription by credit card, it will be paid monthly. Subscriptions through different payment methods may have varying lengths, although there is a minimum length of one month. Jagex is affiliated with several payment providers, each providing different subscription payment methods and prices. Different payment methods require different information to be given during a secure payment process.
Extra featuresEditMembership unlocks many features of RuneScape that are not available to free players: almost all recent updates to RuneScape have been for members, with the exception of a few major updates in the past months. There are very few quests available to free players, while new quests available to members are added at a rate of one or two a month. This is a condensed list of features unlocked with membership below:
- Ability to change character names.
- Nine extra skills, as well as more capabilities in free-to-play skills.
- Ability to purchase skill capes when achieving level 99 (and 120 in Dungeoneering's case) in a skill.
- Higher capabilities in other skills.
- Use of several transportation systems.
- Much larger explorable area (around 3 times as big).
- More accessible servers (members can access free-to-play worlds and pay-to-play worlds, although they cannot access most members only features in free-to-play worlds).
- More minigames, such as Pest Control, Soul Wars, and Stealing Creation.
- Ability to do Distractions and Diversions, such as Treasure Trails, Penguin Hide and Seek, Evil Trees and Shooting Stars.
- Better (and a more varied range of) equipment, such as Dragon, Barrows, Bandos, Crystal etc. weapons and armour.
- More bank space. Non-members' 103 (353 if all bank boosters are purchased) bank slots versus members' 571 (821 if all bank boosters are purchased).
- More space for Grand Exchange offers (non-members have only 2 spaces and members have all 6).
- Members can create their own house using the POH system along with the Construction skill.
- Access to Player-owned Ports (requires 90 in at least one of the following skills: Fishing, Slayer, Runecrafting, Herblore, Prayer, or Thieving).
- A huge amount of members-only items.
- Many more quests.
- Many more titles obtainable.
- No advertisements above the game.
- More music and sound effects.
- A few more emotes such as air guitar (requires 500 unlocked songs), Faint (requires the completion of the mime Court Case) and Taskmaster (requires all tasks to be completed in the Task system).
- Ability to post on the RuneScape Official Forums regardless of their character's level/experience (The only non-members who can post on the forums are those with at least 2.5 million XP total or have an overall skill total exceeding or equal to 350).
- More efficient ways to make money.
- The ability to access fullscreen mode on the main screen.
- The ability to take a photo using the Photo Booth feature for use on the forums as an avatar.
- The ability to fight many high level bosses like the King Black Dragon, God War Bosses and more.
- The ability to fight a wide variety of other monsters, ranging from Yaks, which are good training, to Dragons, which drop items such as Dragon bones that sell for a lot on the Grand Exchange.
- The unique ability of owning a pet.
- Access to the Members Loyalty Programme to gain extra features such as Auras, Emotes and Outfits.
- The ability to create Clan citadels for clans.
- More spins on the Squeal of Fortune.
- A 10% discount from Solomon's General Store.
- Full access to official seasonal and holiday events.
- Full access to all Abilities.
- 4 more shortcut bars of all Abilities.
- Many more abilities.
These benefits will only be available if the member logs onto a members server. If a members-only item is on a non-members server it will not be usable.
Although if you go onto a free server while membership is activated, the bank space will still be increased beyond the normal free limit, and you may still place things in even if there isn't one already in there. Fullscreen mode is also available on free servers while membership is activated.
Currently there are 9 skills in RuneScape that are only available to members out of a total of 25 skills. The members-only skills are listed in alphabetical order below:
There are many benefits upon unlocking these skills. Many members quests have members skill requirements. Agility allows run energy to recharge faster, allows players to run for longer amounts of time, and allows entry to certain areas and use of many shortcuts. With Construction, players can build their own player-owned house and erect God statues across the map which then become altars to recharge prayer. Farming allows players to grow fruits, vegetables, herbs, and trees that only they will be able to cut. Herblore lets players make potions to aid them in combat and the training of other skills. Hunter is a great money maker, and items from it help train several other skills. Thieving allows entry into certain areas as well as being an easy money source. Slayer unlocks new monsters and items, as well as the Magic Dart spell, Broad-tipped bolts, and Broad arrows. Summoning allows members to summon helpful beasts that can aid the player by holding items, boosting stats, helping in combat, restoring health, among other abilities. Some familiars have secondary abilities such as the pack yack can bank items and the bunyip can allow you to eat raw fish.
Free players have strictly limited access to the world of RuneScape. Free players can only access the kingdoms of Asgarnia and Misthalin, the north-eastern most point of Karamja, and most of the Wilderness. Instant Demo players can only access the kingdom of Misthalin which has extremely limited access. Membership allows full access to the entire world.
Here is a list of some, but not all of the lands reserved for members:
- Ape Atoll
- More of Asgarnia
- Feldip Hills
- Fremennik Province
- Karamja Mainland
- Kharidian Desert
- Troll Country
- The northernmost part of the Wilderness
- Zanaris (Dimension of the Fairies)
- Many Dungeons and similar areas
Most of the minigames in RuneScape are members only. Minigames are interactive competitions between players and usually require or involve cooperation and communication. However, some minigames are just for players to play on their own. Minigames can also be good methods to gain experience in combat or non-combat skills, or to just invoke fun competition. Minigames are arguably one of the most enjoyable aspects of RuneScape, and a common reason that impel many to become Members as most of them are restricted to members. Random events can also be considered a form of a minigame, however, as given by their name, they are completely random and so the player cannot choose when to "play".
Here is an alphabetical list of the currently available members-only minigames, along with a short explanation:
- Agility Pyramid - An excellent way for players to quickly train Agility, as well as a decent source of money.
- Barbarian Assault - A fun team combat minigame which unlocks new armour.
- Barrows - An enjoyable, challenging single player combat minigame which has valuable rewards, including the desirable Barrows equipment!
- Blast Furnace - An efficient way to smelt bars of metal, as well as a good source of experience in several different skills.
- Brimhaven Agility Arena - A great Agility trainer for players with moderately high Agility levels.
- Burthorpe Games Room - A room where players can compete in various board games.
- Castle Wars - An extremely popular competitive game of combat Capture the Flag, in which two teams infiltrate each the enemy castle and fight to score. Tickets rewarded to the winners can be exchanged for decorative Castle Wars armour and capes. Complicated strategy and tactics have been developed as well!
- Champion Challenge - Engage the titans of eight different races of monsters in special rules battles! If you defeat them all, you can face the gnome champion!
- Conquest - A turn-based strategy game where two players command a squad of Void Knights and try to eliminate their opponent.
- Duel Tournaments - Members can head under the Duel Arena to compete for millions of coins in tournaments.
- Fishing Trawler - An interesting fishing minigame in which players sail along the sea trying to keep a leaking ship afloat while they fix their net and catch some fish! Rewards are fish up to your fishing level, so the higher the better!
- Gnome Ball - A challenging Agility minigame where players try to pass and charge with a small ball towards a hoop to score a goal, while defending gnomes attempt to tackle them before they can throw it. Players earn both Agility and Ranging experience if they're successful!
- Gnome Restaurant - Players try their hand at delivering food to hungry customers in record speed! A variety of unique items and other rewards are available.
- Mage Arena - Learn the Divine Storm and earn god capes and god staves.
- Mage Training Arena - One of the fastest ways to earn Magic experience; the Arena offers four different minigames each involving a different type of magic. If you are successful in these games, you can earn Pizzazz points to exchange for runes or the valued Infinity Robes!
- Pest Control - This immensely popular team combat minigame involves protecting the vulnerable Void Knight while you fight incoming monsters. Commendation Points which can be exchanged for experience in any combat skill as well as a selection of items are rewarded to successful teams.
- Pyramid Plunder - A source of extremely fast Thieving experience. Combat is interestingly integrated into the game.
- Ranging guild minigames - A fast way to train Ranging which can even be profitable! Players can even exchange tickets earned as rewards for coveted rune arrows.
- Rat Pits - Players can train their cats to be a fierce hellcat or a clever Wily cat in these arenas of battle between cat and mouse, then show off their fully trained cats to their friends!
- Rogue's Den - Players show their deft abilities as they navigate this tricky maze filled with traps and obstacles. Fail and be teleported out! Depending on success, players earn fair amounts of Agility and Thieving experience as well as Rogue Armour displaying their skill.
- Shades of Mort'ton - Build up a temple and defend it from attacking evil spirits! One of the best ways to train Crafting, a good source of Firemaking experience, or a good way for players to test their prowess in combat and see how long they can last against the shades while they train up their combat skills! Shades of Mort'ton quest must be completed before you can play this minigame.
- Sorceress's Garden - Players attempt to sneak around watchful elementals guarding their gardens to get the a Sq'irk Tree to pick Sq'irk fruits. If caught, they are teleported out! Excellent Thieving experience.
- Soul Wars - A challenging minigame where you kill avatars with your team. Rewards combat experience and pets.
- Tai Bwo Wannai Cleanup - Help clean up the village of Tai Bwo Wannai. Beware, as players may encounter dangerous Bush Snakes and Broodoo victims! Players earn the village currency of trading sticks for a reward.
- Tears of Guthix - Collect the tears of the God of Balance in a sacred cave guarded by his faithful snake servant Juna. The tears give the best reward of all - experience in the players' worst skill.
- Temple Trekking - Escort citizens through the dangerous Mort Myre Swamp in Morytania to a temple on the River Salve. If successful, players earn tokens exchangeable for a random reward, including resources such as herbs or ores, or tomes exchangeable for experience in specific skills!
- Treasure Trail - Players follow cryptic clues on wild chases to valuable rewards. Rewards include runes, God pages, Ornamental armour, Rune god armour, Third age armour, and others.
- Trouble Brewing - Two teams compete as each try to brew the most bottles of rum! Experience in a variety of skills can be earned for performing the many complicated tasks needed in the process of rum production.
- TzHaar Fight Cave - Players fight alone against an army of Tzhaar monsters! If they can withstand the masses, and defeat the dreaded TzTok-Jad, the third most powerful monster in the game, they can earn the coveted Fire cape! Winners as well as less fortunate participants earn varied amounts of the Tzhaar currency of Tokkul.
- TzHaar Fight Pit - Players are thrown into pits where they fight an every-man-for-himself battle to the death! Deadly alliances and betrayals are all a part of the game. Tokkul is rewarded to the winner of each round
It's highly recommended that if a Member were to ever be bored or not happy with the current Membership, they should at least try out various minigames just for the fun of it.
Unlockable capabilities in skillsEdit
Free players are limited in their access to the skills available in Runescape. Since areas and training methods are also limited, it can be difficult for free players to obtain high levels in much of the free-to-play skills. Free players cannot use members items for combat and cannot use some of the abilities or items reached at higher levels in the free skills. Many guilds are also located in members only areas. Membership brings full access to not only several members skills, but also the free skills. Prior to the Evolution of Combat update, it also gave special attacks to specific weaponry.
Here is a list of some capabilities in free skills available to only members:
- Ability to wield salamanders (also have Ranged and Magic requirements)
- Use of poison.
- Dragon weapons and Obsidian weapons at level 60.
- Barrows weapons as well as Abyssal whip at level 70.
- Godsword, Zamorakian spear and Saradomin sword at level 75 with the highest strength bonus from a non-degradable weapon.
- Various other weapons such as quest items and different weapon types such as claws, spears, halberds, and hastae.
- Chaotic weapons at level 80 which are some of the best weapons in game.
- Granite armour at level 50 (also requires 50 Strength).
- Dragon Armour at level 60.
- Bandos and Third-age armour at level 65.
- Barrows armour at level 70.
- Bandos, Armadyl (also requires 70 ranged)), Robes of Subjugation (also requires 70 magic) at level 70, a best non-degradable armour.
- Torva, Pernix and Virtus armour at level 80.
- Various other armours such as quest items.
- Constitution and life points
- Ability to wield salamanders (also have Attack and Magic requirements).
- Use of poisoned arrows.
- Use of thrown weapons including darts, throwing knives, throwing axes, javelins, Chinchompas, and Red chinchompas.
- Use of metal (past bronze), special, gem-tipped, and enchanted bolts.
- Ability to wield metal crossbows (apart from the Crossbow and the Phoenix crossbow).
- Dorgeshuun crossbows can be wielded at level 28.
- Hunter's crossbows can be wielded at level 50.
- Yew longbows and Yew shortbows can be wielded at level 40.
- Red, Black dragonhide armour, and Royal dragonhide armour can be worn at levels 60, 70, and 80 respectively.
- Crystal bow can be wielded at level 70.
- Karil's crossbow and Karil's armour can be equipped at level 70.
- Hand cannon can be equipped at level 75.
- Armadyl armour at level 70.
- Use of Zaryte bow, one of the best bows in game.
- 80 Ranged for use of Pernix armour.
- Royal crossbow at level 85.
- Access to runes which are members only, such as astral, soul and blood runes.
- Ability to wield salamanders (also have Attack and Ranged requirements).
- Fungal robes can be worn at level 25 (also requires 25 Defence).
- Mystic Robes and Splitbark Armour can be worn at level 40.
- Infinity robes can be worn at level 50 (also requires 25 Defence).
- Grifolic armour can be worn at level 60 (also requires 60 Defence).
- Ahrim's Robes and Robes of subjugation can be worn at level 70 (with 70 Attack and Defence, but the robes of sugjugation doesn't need 70 attack).
- Ganodermic armour can be worn at level 75 (also requires 75 Defence).
- Ability to use Lunar and Ancient Spellbooks after their desired quests.
- Access to several new spells such as the Divine Storm, Iban Blast, Polypore Strike and Magic Dart.
- Ability to enchant onyx and dragonstone jewellery, as well as enchanting different types of diamond, emerald, sapphire and ruby jewellery (such as an emerald bracelet into a castlewars bracelet).
- Access to Wave and Surge spells, along with high level curse spells.
- Use of more teleportation spells such as Trollheim Teleport, and the use of medium and high level binds(snare and entangle).
- 80 magic for use of Virtus armour.
- Access to teak trees at level 35.
- Access to maple trees without needing level 30 Dungeoneering.
- Access to hollow trees at level 45.
- Access to mahogany trees at level 50 (can be good on profit during bonus XP weekends).
- Access to eucalyptus trees at level 58.
- Ability to use Dragon hatchet at level 61.
- Access to cut Choking ivy at level 68.
- Access to magic trees at level 75 (very good profit).
- Access to Evil Tree Distraction and Diversion.
- Access to Sawmill Training at level 80.
- Access to Cursed Magic Tree at level 82 (After quest Spirit of Summer).
- Fly fishing at Shilo Village for faster training, as well as many new fishing areas such as Catherby, a very good place to train fishing.
- The Fishing Guild can be entered at level 68.
- Sharks can be fished at level 76.
- Cavefish can be fished at level 85.
- Rocktail can be fished at level 90.
- Many new types of fish to catch, such as manta rays, sea turtles, leaping sturgeon, monkfish, and rainbow fish etc.
- Ability to spin flax into bowstrings at level 10, very good for low-level profit making.
- Ability to craft Yak hide armour.
- Ability to craft Snakeskin armour.
- Ability to craft Dragonhide armour.
- Ability to craft Batwing armour and Bat wand.
- Ability to craft Dragonstone and Onyx jewellery, as well as sapphire, emerald, ruby and diamond bracelets.
- Ability to craft Battlestaves.
- Ability to craft Fungal armour, Grifolic armour and Ganodermic armour.
- Ability to smith cannonballs at level 35 (requires completion of Dwarf Cannon quest).
- Ability to smith metal items such as bolts, dart tips (requires completion of The Tourist Trap quest), arrowheads, lanterns, and throwing knives.
- Ability to smith nails of different metals, used for specific Construction items.
- Ability to smith crossbow limbs, used for making crossbows.
- Ability to smith claws (bronzeto rune).
- Ability to forge together new armour and weapons such as the two parts of the dragon square shield(at level 60) and dragon platebody(at level 92).
- Ability to combine Anti-dragon shield and Draconic visage to make various types of Dragonfire shield at level 90.
- Access to Coal Trucks for faster coal mining.
- Ability to mine pure essence at level 30 (also requires completion of Rune Mysteries quest).
- Ability to mine sandstone at level 35, good for powermining.
- Ability to mine gem rocks in Shilo Village at level 40.
- Ability to mine granite at level 45, good for powermining.
- Access to dozens of new mining spots.
- Ability to mine living rock remains at level 73 for very good and fast profit.
- Access to more runite mining spots.
- Ability to craft mist runes at level 6.
- Ability to craft dust runes at level 10.
- Ability to craft mud runes at level 13.
- Ability to craft smoke runes at level 15.
- Ability to craft steam runes at level 19.
- Ability to craft lava runes at level 23.
- Ability to craft cosmic runes at level 27.
- Ability to craft chaos runes at level 35.
- Ability to craft astral runes at level 40.
- Ability to craft nature runes at level 44.
- Ability to craft law runes at level 54.
- Ability to craft death runes at level 65.
- Ability to craft armadyl runes at level 72.
- Ability to craft blood runes at level 77.
- Access to the Abyss to craft runes faster.
- Access to the Ourania Runecrafting Altar.
- Ability to use rune pouches.
- Access to the upper level and more content in the Runespan.
- Ability to enter Occult floors 36-47 at levels 71-93.
- Ability to enter Warped floors 48-60 at levels 95-119.
- Ability to defeat stronger, more vicious enemies like Yk'Lagor the Thunderous, and Kal'Ger the Warmonger.
- Ability to equip Tier 6-11 weapons and armours.
- Ability to have Class Customisation in Ring of Kinship.
- Stronger enemies meaning more XP from them, and no 50% XP reducer. (not all bosses will be above your combat level, but its better than a F2P).
- Ability to use the various members only skills inside the dungeons.
- Access to more Resource Dungeons, such as the Al-Kharid Resource Dungeon that contains lots of crafting rocks.
- Access to the four other Fremennik sagas.
The vast majority of quests in RuneScape are restricted to members. These quests unlock many important features, new areas, various transportation systems, and many new skills. There are currently 19 free-to-play quests, 150 members-only quests and 1 tutorial quest. A complete list of members quests is found here.
Some quests granting useful abilities are listed below:
- Druidic Ritual - introduction to the Herblore skill
- Dwarf Cannon - ability to use of a Dwarf multicannon
- Plague City - ability to use Ardougne Teleport (with 51 Magic)
- Wolf Whistle - introduction to the Summoning skill
- Fishing Contest - access to the tunnel under White Wolf Mountain to avoid those pesky Wolves
These quests are highly recommended to finish, as this allows access to a larger variety of weaponry and armour and just as important, faster and easier transportation.
- Eadgar's Ruse - ability to use Trollheim Teleport (with 61 Magic)
- Fairytale II - Cure a Queen - access to Fairy Rings during and after the quest (you must be wielding either a Dramen staff or Lunar staff to use fairy rings).
- Fairytale III - Battle at Orks Rift - ability to use fairy rings without the need of a Dramen staff or Lunar staff.
- The Fremennik Isles - access to Fremennik armour and many islands of the Lunar Sea
- Tree Gnome Village and The Grand Tree - ability to use Gnome gliders and Spirit trees
- Heroes' Quest - ability to use Dragon battleaxe and Dragon mace
- Horror from the Deep - ability to combine and use God books
- Lost City - ability to use Dragon dagger and Dragon longsword, access to Zanaris
- Smoking Kills - ability to gather Slayer reward points
- Tears of Guthix - access to the Tears of Guthix Distraction and Diversion
- Watchtower - ability to use Watchtower Teleport (with 58 Magic)
- Desert Treasure - access to the Ancient Magicks
- Dream Mentor - access to some new lunar spells
- Legends Quest - ability to use Dragon square shield and Cape of Legends
- Lunar Diplomacy - access to the Lunar spells (further expanded after Dream Mentor)
- Monkey Madness - ability to use a Dragon scimitar
- Mourning's End Part II - ability to Runecraft Death runes (at 65 Runecrafting)
- Legacy of Seergaze - ability to Runecraft Blood runes (at 77 Runecrafting)
- Recipe for Disaster - See full list of rewards
- Regicide - ability to use a Dragon halberd
- Roving Elves - ability to use Crystal bow and Crystal shield
- Summer's End - ability to use Spirit shields
- Swan Song - ability to fish and cook Monkfish (with 62 Fishing and Cooking)
- While Guthix Sleeps - Part of Dragon platebody, 400,000 experience, ability to kill Tormented demons (randomly drop Dragon claws or Dragon platebody parts)
- Nomad's Requiem - Ability to have Soul Wars as your respawn point.
When you become a member, some of the first things you should do are the "Easy" parts of the Task System. The rewards are listed below:
- Varrock: Easy - Possibility to mine 2 ores and smith 2 bars instead of one, access to the Edgeville Furnace, and the ability to buy 16 Battlestaves from Zaff.
- Karamja: Easy - Lowers boat trip costs from Port Sarim - Musa Point and Ardougne - Brimhaven from 30 coins to 15. Dell Monti will give 40 pineapples to the wearer daily.
- Falador: Easy - Shield restores 25% of Prayer daily and gives +3 Prayer boost.
- Ardougne: Easy - Unlimited Monastery teleport, better chance at Thieving in Ardougne, twice as many Death Runes when selling a cat to a citizen in West Ardougne, more noted drops in the Tower of Life and a 10% Prayer boost upon entering Castle Wars.
- Fremennik Province: Easy - Peer The Seer works as a Bank Deposit Box, you can talk to the Fossegrimen via the boots to charge your Enchanted Lyre, and the Fossegrimen will give extra charges when charging in person.
- Seers' Village: Easy - Works as a dull Light Source, 30 free Flax from Geoffrey in the Flax field, an extra log cutting normal Trees anywhere, and the Coal Trucks now hold 140 coal.
- Morytania: Easy - Double fungi when casting Bloom, 5% extra Temple Trekking rewards, 50% chance of a Ghast ignoring you rather than attacking you.
Members can access and log into servers reserved for the pay-to-play version of RuneScape. If members wish to, they may also log into free-to-play worlds, although on these servers they can't use any in-game features that are accessible only in pay-to-play worlds. There are 86 members-only worlds out of a total of 171 worlds.
Additional website featuresEdit
Players who opt for pay-to-play are given access to a few sections of the RuneScape website that are unavailable to free players:
- The forums - Free players may use the official forums if they have more than 2.5 million xp or a skill total of 350+. This makes it more difficult to use a valuable method of communication, which can limit contact with other players in the Marketplace, Game, RS-Classic, and Community forum sections for trading, clan recruitment, clan discussion, game discussion, or other reasons, as well as removing the only easy way to contact Jagex: the Support section of the forums, which allows for suggestion of updates, rants, complaints and feedback.
- The Adventurer's Log
- The Hiscores (Previously members and free players could use this.)
In order to save money, some players will pay for a few months of membership and then cancel or end payments. Before becoming a member, they will prepare for the new features by obtaining items that will allow them to quickly train members only skills and do members only quests. After they have completed their desired goals, they will cancel their membership and begin preparation again. While most members do not choose to switch like this, it is a good idea to obtain items that new members will need in large amounts before beginning membership.
Soon-to-be member checklist:
- Regular, oak, and willow logs to quickly train Fletching.
- Food such as cakes or lobsters to train Agility and/or Thieving with less chance of dying(or even without dying).
- Vials and secondary ingredients for Herblore.(such as Red spider's eggs and Limpwurt root)
- Coal and other ores to take advantage of Blast Furnace for Smithing.
- Enough coins to pay for all the equipment and skill items that you plan to buy once you are a member.(This may seem difficult since the limiting method and efficiency of making money in F2P)
- Items to utilise new capabilities in free skills that come with membership.
- Items required to do basic member quests you plan to complete.
- Moderately high levels, as this removes possible time wasted while training F2P skills in Members when you could be questing or doing other things.
Recommended members questsEdit
If you plan to do members quests, it is a good idea to get any Free Player levels before you become a member, so you can spend more time doing members-only quests or skills without wasting membership credit for something you could do in free player worlds.
- Immediate Quests (these quests open the members world to you):
- Druidic Ritual - gives level 4 in the Herblore skill.
- Elemental Workshop I - Basic members quest that gives good experience and is required for further quests.
- Fishing Contest - Allows use of passage under White Wolf Mountain.
- Gertrude's Cat - Basic introductory quest and unlocks a pet cat.
- Plague City - Basic members quest that allows use of Ardougne Teleport spell and begins a long series of quests.
- Wolf Whistle - gives level 4 in the Summoning skill and 255 gold charms.
- Buyers and Cellars - Unlocks the thieving guild.
- Short term quest goals (these will unlock new features and build your list of completed quests) - some items should be gathered:
- Biohazard - Easy, continuation of Plague City series.
- Death Plateau - Don't be afraid to take on trolls.
- Dwarf Cannon - Allows use of Dwarf multicannon.
- Fremennik Trials - Begins exploration of Fremennik Province, good skill rewards.
- Family Crest - Great reward, not too difficult.
- Holy Grail - Excellent reward.
- Jungle Potion - Begins Karamja quests, gives Herblore experience.
- Lost City - Allows Dragon longsword and Dragon dagger to be wielded and allows access to Zanaris.
- Merlin's Crystal - An important cornerstone quest.
- Recruitment Drive - Allows you to buy some good armour, and set your respawn point to Falador.
- Development quests (these will expand your members knowledge and prepare you for further questing) - build on quests completed previously:
- A Fairy Tale Part I - Better harvests with Farming.
- Eagle's Peak - Have you been training Hunter?
- Ghosts Ahoy - Explore Morytania and gain free access to Port Phasmatys.
- Tree Gnome Village - The Gnome series begins.
- The Grand Tree - Continues Gnome series.
- Heroes' Quest - Allows Dragon battleaxe and Dragon mace to be wielded and allows access to Heroes' Guild.
- Nature Spirit - Travel in the Mort Myre Swamp.
- In Search of the Myreque - Build on your work in Nature Spirit.
- Shilo Village - Welcome to Shilo.
- Tourist Trap - Working towards Desert Treasure.
- Troll Stronghold - Great reward-2 x 10000xp lamps.
- The Feud - Easy desert quest that helps with Thieving.
- Underground Pass -Challenging, but rewards Iban's staff.
- Waterfall Quest - A very rewarding quest about Elves.
- Long-term quests (these are where you begin to become a strong player):
- One Small Favour - the reward is a helpful keyring (stores keys).
- Tai Bwo Wannai Trio - Exploring Karamja.
- Monkey Madness - The quest for a Dragon scimitar.
- Regicide - into the Elven lands.
- Roving Elves - crystal equipment.
- Shades of Mort'ton - new minigame.
- In Aid of the Myreque - a new bank in deep Morytania.
- Legends Quest- Ability to wear the Legend's Cape.
- Horror from the Deep - Ability to wield prayer books.
- Fight Arena - Short quest which rewards a quick 12,175 Attack XP.
- Contact! - A new bank deep in the desert, and a powerful dagger.(Keris)
- Desert Treasure - One of the hardest quests in the game, gives access to the Ancient Magicks.
- While Guthix Sleeps - Unlocks new monsters, and equipment. You can only start after completing most of the other quests (requirement of 270 quest points).
- Transportation quests
- Another Slice of H.A.M. - unlocks the Dorgesh-Kaan - Keldagrim Train System, transportation orbs also unlocked.
- Desert Treasure - Ancient Magicks teleports.
- Eagles' Peak - Eagle transport system.
- Lunar Diplomacy - Lunar spells teleports.
- The Grand Tree - Allows the access to gnome gliders.
- One Small Favour - Unlocks another gnome glider route.
- Ghosts Ahoy - Free access to Port Phasmatys. The Ectophial can be used for quick teleportation to the port.
- Fairy Tale quest series - Access to the Fairy rings, which covers a vast area.
- Tree Gnome Village - Allows access to Spirit tree transportation method.
- Regicide - Allows use of Arandar also the charter ship to Port Tyras, avoiding the Underground Pass.
- In Search of the Myreque - Allows shortcut through Mort Myre Swamp via boat.
- Garden of Tranquility - Activates Ring of Charos, making transportation (and other things) quick and cheap.
- Enakhra's Lament - Reward is Camulet , which can teleport you into the desert.
- The Fremennik Trials - Gives the ability to make an enchanted lyre which can teleport a player to Rellekka.
- Love Story - Gives the ability to chip House Teleport Tablets to teleport you to any house portal, not just your own.
Preparing for an ending membershipEdit
When going from Pay-to-play to Free-to-play, there are many things you want to consider before your membership ends. Along with being restricted by the smaller free world area and limited to the free skills, bank space is an important aspect to consider. Non-members are mostly limited to 103 bank spaces whereas Members have 468 extra bank spaces (for a total of 571 bank spaces).
- Even if you are planning on becoming a member again you will have to sell most of the items. If you still have more than 83 (or 103) non-member items in the bank after your membership ends, the extra items will still be in the bank, but you cannot deposit anymore items unless duplicate of the item is already there. To see how many extra F2P items you have in your bank move your mouse cursor over the number that indicates how many members items you hold in your bank.
- Member items are not usable and equipable in the Free-to-play servers, but you may keep them in the bank. You may consider selling every valuable P2P items if you are NOT willing to become a member again. Less expensive ones and some quest-related items are more worthy to be kept, and more importantly, don't take up F2P bank space. These cheaper items may quicken your process if you subscribe again.
- Using bank tagging is useful for sorting out the items, you may also see some convenient tools like Pot, which is barely useful inside F2P playing. Disposal of these cheap items would lead to efficient bank sorting.
- When the membership ends and you still have members armour equipped, you will still be wielding the armour, weapons, shields, etc., but they will have the special abilities & stats disabled. You cannot train Dungeoneering if you wish to keep these items equipped. Once unequipped you cannot reequip them until you log into a members world. For skillcape wearers(including Max cape), dropping and selling all other capes will lessen the hazard of accidentally unequipping the cape. A questing cape is not recommended as it will unequip when the next quest is released. Also, a completionist cape(or even trimmed) is strongly NOT recommended as it will unequip when new content is released.
- Keeping useful Free-to-play items and armour might be an acceptable idea. Some of these items/armour include, but are not limited to: Rune/Blue d'hide equipment(from crafting/smithing or kept before starting membership), cooked/raw Swordfish (eventually as rewards from the Managing Miscellania minigame or kept before starting membership), Attack potions, Strength potions and/or Defence potions (from training Herblore), etc.
- Players can only initate a trading request on top-left and top-middle slots in Grand Exchange inside free worlds. However, transactions can be completed in all slots even if a player has terminated subscription.
Other RuneScape ServersEdit
Runescape members can play on the Old School RuneScape servers
If a member has logged onto RuneScape Classic in the last 6 months they can play on the RuneScape Classic servers
- Jagex reached the one million member count mark on 4 May 2007.
- If you train combat and you are wielding a members' item on a free to play world in the weapon slot, this will result in 'you are wearing an item which prevents you from attacking' and you cannot fight unless you unequip it. When the free version of RuneScape Classic existed, members' weapons would automatically become unequipped when the player logs in to a free world.
- In the God letters, members were referred to as 'nobility' while free players were peasants. It was also said that they paid taxes to the counsel.
- Paul Gower stated that the first members benefit was being able to login any time players wanted.
- There are currently ~1,052,000 members and rising, as seen in the hiscores. This number is inflated however, due to the recent addition of the 14 day members free trial(See Membership 14 days trial), which is evident as over 150,000 of these members have never gained a single level.
- Information %26 Help Payment listings and comparison
- Payments - USA#PayByCash Further PayByCash information
- Payments - USA#Surfpin/PayByPhone Detailed PayByPhone information
- Payments - USA#BOKU/PayByMobile/Text Message Detailed PayBySMS information
- a RuneScape Membership Payment PayByCash's complete list of accepted payment methods