|Release date||9 August 2011 (Update)|
|Also known as||The Jack of Spades|
|Location(s)||Varies; see below|
Ozan is one of the seven Signature Heroes first announced in the Developer Blog "Who are the Signature Heroes?". He appeared in the background of the RuneScape homepage that was released with Dungeoneering, which showed him Dungeoneering with two of the other Signature Heroes, Ariane and Sir Owen. He appears to be a powerful ranger.
"Who are the Signature Heroes?" describes Ozan as being a good speaker, bold, and carefree. He is a bard and tells embellished stories of his adventures, and those of others, emphasising sensationalism over accuracy. He seems to be more concerned with fame than with doing what's right. He thinks himself a romantic, believing honesty to be important when it comes to women. It is shown in the Burthorpe tutorial that he possibly has a soft spot for cute and/or harmless things. Ozan also tends to smile a lot. He also seems to enjoy sugary treats such as baklava.
He prefers to be the centre of attention and the focus of tales and songs, to the extent that he places himself in other people's stories. Despite stealing the spotlight himself, he disapproves of others boasting of false achievements. His desire for attention often leads him to plan exploits to exceed those he considers greater than his own, such as stealing geographical locations.
Despite his criminal ways, he is considered to be honourable.
In addition to being charismatic, seemingly able to affect others similarly to the ring of Charos, Ozan is very agile, capable of scaling walls and rooftops. However his charisma and less than honest storytelling abilities do not affect certain beings, like Juna.
He does not have a high Strength level in Three's Company, and is too lazy to train Runecrafting. He also has less than level 50 Mining. He has level 15 Attack as the highest ability he can use in the saga is backhand.Ozan is also an accomplished thief, as revealed in one of his conversations in the Legends' Guild, his exploits including stealing artefacts from a museum on behalf of a private collector. Along with that, in the cinematic trailer, he is shown as a young boy stealing an apple from a vendor cart. This is also shown as he steals a diamond necklace, and he also steals a pocket watch from Darren Lightfinger. The Thieves' Guild also wishes that Ozan would join them. He is considered to be a master thief, especially by himself, though not everybody agrees on whether he is. Despite being caught multiple times, he has always been able to escape.
He is a master storyteller, often telling tales in pubs and taverns to earn some coin. Given his own skill with embellishment, he believes he can spot when stories are being exaggerated, though he can sometimes get it wrong, and he can tell when epic tales are actually true.
Ozan was born in Al Kharid during the Fifth Age. He never knew his father, and his mother died before he could ask her who he was, leaving him to be raised on the streets and stealing to survive. He became close friends with one of the Al Kharid palace guards, Khnum. One day Ozan tried to break into the palace to steal the Kharid-ib, but he was caught by Osman and banished from Al Kharid, though according to his account, he had broken in after hearing Leela singing The Cactus Lily and had only happened upon the jewel while trying to escape. Khnum was blamed for letting Ozan enter the palace and was fired from his job as palace guard.
Life outside of Al KharidEdit
After leaving Al Kharid, Ozan became a famous thief and hero. He travelled all over Gielinor and explored much of its lands. At some point, he teamed up with Ariane and the Raptor to recover some treasure, stopping by the Blue Moon Inn in Varrock. A worker saw them and told two of his friends. As they were leaving, Kherian, one of the three boys listening in, threw a snowball at the Raptor. The Raptor got mad and demanded to know the culprit, but Ozan attempted to convince him to drop the matter. The warrior ignored him, accepted the boy's answer and left peacefully, much to Ozan's relief.
When trolls launched an invasion into Burthorpe, Ozan aided in the defence, facing the troll general Morningstar alongside an adventurer. He was incapacitated by the troll, leaving the adventurer to defeat the general. After the troll was killed, Ozan located a Baby Troll, the general's child. Despite initially wanting to slay the child, Ozan refrained from doing so, placing it in the care of the adventurer before leaving for Draynor Village.
Ozan, alongside Ariane and the knight Sir Owen, tracked down the beastmaster Carn, who had attacked Taverley and kidnapped the druid master Pikkupstix. They ventured into Daemonheim, where the three utilised their skills to get through the dungeon, rescue Pikkupstix, and defeat Carn.
The kidnapping of Prince AliEdit
Sometime in the Year 169 of the Fifth Age, Ozan discovered his old friend Khnum was involved with a gang of dangerous criminals called The Skulls. He asked the adventurer to talk to Khnum and find out what he's been up to. The adventurer managed to gain Khnum's trust and became a member of The Skulls. They found out that Khnum was the leader of The Skulls, and that the gang has been involved in a kidnapping in Al Kharid.
Ozan and the adventurer then followed Khnum to The Skulls Headquarters where they confronted Khnum. However, their conversation was interrupted by Leela, Osman's daughter, who believed that Ozan and the adventurer were in league with Khnum. Ozan managed to convince her that wasn't the case, and the three of them questioned Khnum about his plans. After threatening to lock Khnum up on bread and water, Khnum revealed his gang was hired to support the mysterious Lady Keli in the kidnapping of Prince Ali. He also revealed that they were loading Ali onto a boat at the coast of Draynor Village. Ozan, Leela and the adventurer went to the coast but Lady Keli and her lackeys managed to get away with the prince while the heroes where occupied fighting The Skulls. Leela told Ozan and the adventurer to report to Osman. While she tracked Lady Keli. The adventurer read the ransom letter left behind: ‘Follow the path of the Sun into the lion’s mouth. The emir’s heart for the prince’s life. You have until the Sun sets on the desert two days from now.’ Then they went off to Al Kharid
When Ozan and the adventurer arrived in Al Kharid the palace was on lockdown, as ordered by the Emir, so the palace guard refused to let them enter, forcing them to break into the palace. While they were trying to find a way in they overheard a conversation between the Emir, Osman, Hassan and a Menaphite named Jabari. The Menaphite was trying to convince the Emir to give up his throne to their Pharaoh, because of the unstable situation in Al Kharid with the Emir being ill and the prince kidnapped. But the Emir refused, he claimed he still had a while to live. But as soon as the Menaphite left he told Osman he's close to dying and he fears that Menaphos will declare war on Al Kharid if he dies and Prince Ali won't be there to replace him. When Osman mentions the Kharid-ib, Ozan realised that is what the kidnappers want. The Emir told Osman he'd give anything to save his son, except the Kharid-ib.
To prevent a war Ozan and the adventurer broke into the room where the Kharid-ib was hidden and tried to find the answer to the puzzle made to protect it. But they were caught by Osman, who brought them to the Emir. Ozan summarised what happened so far to Osman and the Emir. Ozan tried to convince the dying Emir to give up the Kharid-ib, but the Emir once again refused and then died. Ozan, feeling guilty about the death of the Emir, decided he needed some fresh air, so he left the room. Osman informed the adventurer Ozan is once again welcome in Al Kharid.
Ozan and the adventurer returned to the Kharid-ib on request of Osman. Osman explained to them how to obtain the Kharid-ib and then left the vault, locking the door behind him. Ozan and the adventurer took the Kharid-ib and left the vault using a rope. They headed for the desert, through the Shantay Pass but they were stopped by Shantay, who started asked them where they were taking him. This confused Ozan and the adventurer, as they didn't intend to bring Shantay with them, but suddenly Shantay started the conversation again, like he hadn't seen Ozan and the adventurer earlier. He provided them with supplies and let them pass.
Ozan and the adventurer discovered a broken sundial with Het's face on it. Because Het is related to the Kharid-ib, Ozan believed this to be a good start. They repair the sundial and move to another one guarded by bandits. The bandits, like Shantay, acted confused, but then suddenly attacked the heroes. After defeating the bandits, they fixed the second sundial. The third sundial, however, was missing some pieces. The Kharid-ib made a strange sound, and the ground below the pair turned to quicksand, sucking them through into a cave below. The adventurer dropped the Kharid-ib in the fall, and Ozan saw a strange creature take it.
Ozan hurt his leg in the landing, and sends the adventurer off to search the tunnels leading out from the cavern. When they return, he admits to having landed on the missing piece, and the pair slowly make their way along the passage indicated by the sundial of Crondis, which fell with them. They emerged in a room filled with dung kalphites, which they slew until they found the one that stole the Kharid-ib. After they recovered the gem, Leela threw a rope into the cave, rescuing them and allowing them to fix the final sundial.
The sundial pointed towards a forgotten temple of Amascut, in the shape of a lion, partially buried in the desert sands. There they confronted Lady Keli, who threatened to kill the prince and everyone else present unless she was given the Kharid-ib. The gem protests against this plan, through Lady Keli's followers, Apep and Heru. Eventually, however, Lady Keli got hold of the Kharid-ib, revealing herself to be Amascut, the goddess of Destruction in the Desert Pantheon. She orders her followers to kill the heroes, while she flees with the Kharid-ib, leaving Prince Ali behind.
Leela and the adventurer return to Al Kharid with Prince Ali, after defeating the two thugs, but Ozan remains behind. He has decided that he cannot return to Al Kharid without the Kharid-ib, as it was his idea to steal it, and therefore his fault that Amascut has the powerful artefact.
The Jack of SpadesEdit
Ozan smuggled himself into Menaphos, making the Shifting Tombs his home. He adopted the disguise of the Jack of Spades and began a crime spree in the city, becoming infamous for his thefts and generosity to the poor. When a diplomatic envoy arrived from Al Kharid, he proceeded to steal from four high profile targets in the city: Grand Vizier Ehsan, Admiral Wadud, Commander Akhomet and Batal. When the adventurer, who had arrived as part of the envoy, tracked him down, he returned the stolen items and explained how the tombs functioned.
In order to secure Commander Akhomet's support for Osman's attempted coup, she demanded the Jack of Spades be handed over to face justice. Ozan was reluctant to be taken captive, preferring instead to fake his own death, and handed over his mask. It was dipped in blood and presented to Commander Akhomet, with the claim that the Jack's body had been burnt on a pyre, which impressed her.
He appeared at the Summer Beach Party, wanting to see sandcastle versions of Dominion Tower or Grand Pyramid. When he was present, building the Dominion Sandtower or Sand Pyramid granted double experience.
RuneScape cinematic trailerEdit
Ozan plays a large role in the RuneScape cinematic trailer that could be watched here.
The trailer opens in the druidic city of Taverley, where Sir Owen and Ariane are talking on a balcony while Ozan wanders past a couple of girls in the street below.
Suddenly, a gigantic troll appears and wrecks havoc before charging straight at Ozan, who dodges the first swing of the troll's enormous axe, but the scene changes to a flashback when he couldn't evade the second strike.
The Raptor saves Ozan by slamming into the troll's axe shield-first. As the troll attempts to grab him, Sir Owen leaps off the balcony railing and smashes its right arm to little effect, and is shoved aside into a pillar. Ariane seizes her chance and hit it with a continuous stream of ice, freezing it solid. Ozan then shoots an arrow into the creature's chest, shattering it into blocks of frozen troll.
After the RuneScape icon appears and disappears, three more trolls are seen charging.
Ozan can be found in many places throughout the world of RuneScape.
Places where he may stop by in passing include:
- Outside the South Entrance of Varrock Palace.
- Inside the Blue Moon Inn in Varrock.
- In the Ranging Guild.
- In a bar in the Bandit Camp.
- "The Other Inn" on Mos Le'Harmless.
- On Ice Mountain.
- Near the crossroads just north of Falador.
- In the Rusty Anchor at Port Sarim.
- Upstairs in the Rising Sun Inn in Falador.
- At the Summer Beach Party.
Places where Ozan may always be found include:
- On the first floor of the Champions' Guild with Xenia, Ariane and Ozan. (Before Heroes' Quest is completed)
- On the balcony of the Heroes' Guild with Xenia, Ariane, Ozan and Linza. (Before Legends' Quest is completed)
- On the first floor of the Legends' Guild with all the Signature Heroes. (After Legends' Quest is completed)
- In the Shifting Tombs activity. (After The Jack of Spades is completed.)
Places where Ozan may be found only once include:
- Speaking to a Guard in Varrock Square.
- Entering Daemonheim with Ariane and Sir Owen. (Before starting Three's Company)
- Ozan is younger than 25, but not by much, as revealed in the third Above the Lore podcast.
- Ozan's name may be a reference to his travelling and love of poetry – Ozan means "troubadour" and "bard" in Turkish.
- During the quest Dimension of Disaster, Zemouregal states that he killed Ozan by choking him with coins. His head is later seen with the other Signature Heroes heads mounted inside Zemouregal's bedroom.
- Ozan currently holds the title of 'Most Prolific Kharidian Lover'.
- After Ozan was forced to give up his Jack of Spades persona, he suggests several new personas.
- ^ Mod John A. "Who are the Signature Heroes." 29 June 2010. Developers' Blogs.
- ^ Ozan, RuneScape. "You need to give a sense of how big it was. Your flickering torchlight could not penetrate the dust to the far wall. The sound of your footfalls was lost in the immensity as the weight of ages pressed down on you..."
- ^ a b Jagex. "The Rising Sun - Ozan's Tale." RuneScape Lores and Histories.
- ^ Ozan, RuneScape. "After that, I turned the conversation back around to myself and my own fantastic demon-slaying exploits, of course! I can't let your reputation to surpass mine!"
- ^ Ozan, RuneScape. "It's about the legend! The glory! Bards will sing of our exploits for generations - but only if we teach them the songs!"
- ^ Ozan, RuneScape. "There! You're getting the idea. Now change the main character to me, and you've got the perfect story!"
- ^ Ariane, RuneScape. "Changing them to stories about you. Or inserting yourself as the one who saves the day."
- ^ Ozan, RuneScape. "I found Sir Prysin in the Blue Moon Inn the other day, telling everyone how he single-handedly defeated Delrith! Don't worry, I set the record straight and told everyone it was you who killed the demon."
- ^ Ozan, RuneScape. "I'll need to steal something truly epic. Perhaps the Crown Jewels of Falador...or the River Salve..."
- ^ Emir Ali Mirza, "The Jack of Spades", RuneScape. "Though I met Ozan only briefly, I could tell that he has a good heart. He has a sharp tongue too...but he is not lacking in responsibility or honour."
- ^ Ozan, RuneScape. "She peers at me with those reptile eyes and all my banter dries up. She's got mental powers or something - I think it might be impossible to lie to her."
- ^ a b Darren Lightfinger, "Buyers and Cellars", RuneScape. "If only I could have convinced Ozan to sign on with us. Such a pity… A master thief like him would have been perfect for my plans."
- ^ Ozan, RuneScape. "No prison cell can hold Ozan, the Master Thief! They say he's broken out of every prison cell in Gielinor!"
- ^ Osman, "Stolen Hearts", RuneScape. "Really? Because what it looks like is me catching the so-called 'master thief' Ozan, who's attempting to steal the Kharid-ib. For a second time..."
- ^ Ozan, RuneScape. "So, congratulations: you've become a story, and you've earned me a few storytelling coins in the taverns around here."
- ^ Ozan, RuneScape. "Hundreds. They can't possibly be true, though. I know exaggeration when I see it."
- ^ Ozan, RuneScape. "I heard the story that Radimus Erkle's been telling about you in the Legends' Guild. I don't know how you got him to buy it! I mean, I've been known to exaggerate, but I keep it plausible."
- ^ Ozan, RuneScape. "She thinks very highly of you, you know. She says you saved her city and defeated an evil god, and when I look into those big eyes I can't believe she's exaggerating."
- ^ Jagex. "Worth Comes in Battle." RuneScape Lores and Histories.
- ^ Commander Akhomet, "'Phite Club", RuneScape. "I need you to deal with something that has been a thorn in my side for quite some time. I need you to bring the Jack of Spades to justice. He has evaded capture for long enough. He needs to be dealt with first, so that the people know that sedition and insurrection will not be tolerated."
- ^ Ozan, "'Phite Club", RuneScape. "What? no! We could fake the Jack's death, though. Here's my mask. I'd recommend dipping it in some blood or something to complete the illusion. I'm sad to give up my Jack persona, but I can always get a new alter-ego... What do you think of..."
- ^ Commander Akhomet, "'Phite Club", RuneScape. "We Menaphites believe in embalming our dead. Only commoners go out on a pyre. I'm impressed with how you brought him down, and that you've observed our customs - the Jack deserved no respect in life, and even less in death."
- ^ Ozan, RuneScape. "I should have been there. The Crux Eqal recruited me, Owen and Ariane to attack another of Lucien's bases, but it turned out he'd already obtained it."
- ^ Menaphos Journal, RuneScape. "Runner-up in the 'Most Prolific Kharidian Lover' contest, behind Ozan."
|This template is about Ozan|