Overloads are potions which combine the boosting properties of all 5 extreme potions. They are created by combining 3-dose extreme attack, extreme strength, extreme defence, extreme ranging, and extreme magic potions with a clean torstol. The process grants 1,000 Herblore experience and requires level 96 Herblore, which can be boosted but not assisted. Four empty vials are left over.
Overloads boost Attack, Strength, Defence, Ranged, and Magic + 15% of the stat level + 3 (a maximum of +17 at level 99) for 6 minutes. Overloads reapply the boosts every 15 seconds, resulting in minimal boost decay - however, once the overload wears off, the boosts are completely removed. Upon death, the effect of overload will also wear off entirely before the 6 minutes is up.
Like all combat stat boosts, the stat increase from overloads increases your damage bonus in 2 ways (values for fastest speed weapons/ability damage given; scaled up for slower weapons): +2.5 per level to base damage (as your level is higher), and +8 per level after all other modifiers (for having a level above your base level) - a total of +42.5 base damage and +136 to final damage, at level 99 Strength, Magic, and/or Ranged. Effects like Void Knight equipment apply to the former but not the latter.
It is a popular misconception that overloads will fully restore a player's stats every 15 seconds. This is untrue, as overloads simply reapply the boosts every 15 seconds. This property is useful to players who are using Saradomin brews to restore life points, as the overload's frequent boosts help to counter the Saradomin brews' stat drain.
A 3-dose overload costs 40,082 coins to make from super potions. The scroll of cleansing can save any of the ingredients of an overload when used, and portable wells can duplicate overloads completed using them.
Overloads (4 dose) are used as an ingredient in the following combination potions:
- Holy overload potion, an overload and prayer renewal potion
- Searing overload potion, an overload and super antifire potion
- Overload salve, an overload, super antifire, antifire, super antipoison, prayer, and prayer renewal potion
- Supreme overload potion, a more powerful overload
- Supreme overload salve, a more powerful overload salve
- Perfect plus, combining all perfect juju potions
When making combination potions with the scroll of cleansing, overloads can be saved.
Once creation of combination potions has been unlocked, it is generally cheaper to use one of the overload combinations instead of normal overloads, as each combination potion is 6 doses of overload made from 4 doses. For example, a holy overload costs 12,788 in addition to the overload (66,226 total), whereas 6 doses of normal overload costs 80,164 - so holy overload is effectively a saving of 13,930. For more details, see Calculator:Herblore/Combination potions § Overload variants.
It is possible to make overloads at level 90 Herblore with the aid of a spicy stew (with brown spice) getting a +6 level boost; it is also possible to create them at level 89 Herblore, using the artisan skills boost from an advanced pulse core. However, the most reliable and longest-lasting boost is a God banner, which provides a +2 bonus for 30 minutes. Using a preset inventory with appropriate quantities of each of the 6 ingredients greatly reduces the time spent banking.
|Extreme attack (3)||1||4,238||4,238|
|Extreme strength (3)||1||8,186||8,186|
|Extreme defence (3)||1||5,931||5,931|
|Extreme magic (3)||1||4,325||4,325|
|Extreme ranging (3)||1||14,091||14,091|
|Super attack||Super strength||Super defence||Super magic potion||Super ranging potion|
|Secondary||Eye of newt||Limpwurt root||White berries||Potato cactus||Wine of Zamorak|
|Extreme attack||Extreme strength||Extreme defence||Extreme magic||Extreme ranging|
|Primary||Super attack||Super strength||Super defence||Super magic potion||Super ranging potion|
|Secondary||Avantoe||Dwarf weed||Lantadyme||Ground mud runes||5 Grenwall spikes|
|Experience||220||230||240||251 [note 3]||260|
|Extreme attack, Extreme strength, Extreme defence, Extreme magic, Extreme ranging and Clean torstol|
|Total experience (from scratch): 2911|
|Total experience (buying Super potions): 2201|
|Total cost (from scratch): 42,210|
|Total cost (buying Super potions): 40,082|
|Total cost (buying Super potions with Scroll of cleansing): 38,822.6|
- ^ This portion of the table assumes all ingredients are bought and sold on the Grand Exchange. Vials of water included.
- ^ Ground mud runes are untradeable; this is the price for a mud rune.
- ^ Mixing the potion gives 250 xp, grinding the mud runes gives 1 xp.
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||0.0%|
- When first released, overloads could be used in PvP areas, but within 48 hours, this was changed so they cannot be used in any PvP situation, dangerous or safe. After the Evolution of Combat update, overloads can be used in the Wilderness.
- Before the release of Evolution of Combat, Overloads had a larger boost and damaged life points by 500 (equivalent to 5,000 in the current system) when consumed. Attempting to drink a dose of overload with fewer than 500 life points prompted the message "You need more than 500 life points to survive the power of overload!" Once it wore off, the player would be healed for 500 life points.
- According to Jagex, the damage the player received from drinking an overload was because the potion "racks the body with spasms and burns the digestive tract".