|Release date||25 July 2016 (Update)|
|Examine||A type of tortoise, native to the Wushanko Isles. This one has gold flecks in its shell.|
Ornate tortles are level 96 Hunter creatures that can be found on Uncharted Isles. Their shiny shell chippings are sought after due to the high sell value to Torts R Us on Waiko. 'Reggie' (tortle shell merchant) will pay 2 chimes for each shiny shell chippings, or 12 chimes if crafted into a shiny tortle shell bowl, requiring 4 shiny chippings and 92 Crafting; The bowls are also required to make shark soup.
To catch an ornate tortle, the player must set up a tortle trap near an ornate tortle. Once a tortle is caught, the player will collect one shiny shell chipping from the tortle; Rarely, chimes or a taijitu can be unearthed from the sands by escaping tortles.
Unlike other special skilling resources found in the Uncharted Isles, 200–215 ornate tortles may be caught before depleting the hunter area. If paying full attention, at level 99 Hunter players can gain up to 666,000 base experience and 1,260 chimes an hour from hunting ornate tortles. Using an enhanced yaktwee stick and the hunter's outfit players may gain ~750,000 experience an hour.
Using the enhanced yaktwee stick, hunter's outfit, Arctic bear familiar, Decorated hunter urns, Legendary tracker aura, and the rewards from Sliske's Endgame (Ring of Whispers, Combined Catalyst fragment, and Necklace of Shadows), players may gain up to 1,600,000 Hunter experience an hour by using the Perfect Plus tick-method.
- Tortle is a portmanteau of "tortoise" and "turtle".
- When a shiny shell chipping is received, a filterable message says "The tortle escapes into the sand, but you find some shell chippings in the trap."
- When a chime is received, a filterable message says "The tortle unearthed a chime in the sand!"
- When a taijitu is received, a filterable message says "The tortle unearthed a rare taijitu in the sand!"
- When the hunter area is depleted, a filterable message says "The tortles are disgruntled by your traps and begin to disperse from the area."
- Logging out and in again as soon as this message first appears makes all tortles of the same spot go away upon relogging.