|Release||30 January 2017 (Update)|
|Her pure power has increased, energy can be seen radiating through her hands.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|480 / 320 / 160|
4 ticks (2.4s)
Nex: Angel of Death is a successor to the original Nex boss fight. The entrance to her arena is a hidden door found to the south of the magical barrier to the original Nex encounter, which requires a Frozen key and either 40 Zarosian kills or a set of Ancient ceremonial robes. As such, players require 70 Agility, Constitution, Ranged and Strength to access this extension.
A team size of 7 players is recommended for the fight. Up to 50 players may battle Nex, though this does not affect her actual strength; she will retain her stats, but instead more players will be targeted by some of her attacks. All kills are performed in an instance, which has no starting fee.
There are two lore books, The Promised Gift and The Praesul. These books explain the story behind Nex's relationship to Zaros, including the mention of Zaros preparing to give something to Nex which is made in Children of Mah. All players will obtain this drop, provided that they participated and survived the encounter. Reading both of these books is a requirement for the master quest cape. Once obtained, they will no longer be dropped.
Possible rewards include tier 92 dual wield magic weapons: the wand of the praesul and imperium core. The praesul codex unlocks one of three level 99 curses; Desolation, Affliction and Malevolence, upgraded versions of Anguish, Torment and Turmoil respectively. There are also four tradable intricate chest drops: intricate shadow chest, intricate blood chest, intricate ice chest, and intricate smoke-shrouded chest. These chests can be opened to unlock cosmetic battle robes from each of the four of Nex's mages: Cruor, Fumus, Glacies, and Umbra battle robes.
Obtaining all of Nex: Angel of Death unique drops will unlock the [Name] of the Praesul title.
If battling Nex in a team of more than 7 players, the drop rate for the wand of the praesul and imperium core are significantly decreased (5x the normal drop rate). Intricate chests and Praesul codices are not affected by this restriction.
Nex has two drop tables. The first drop table is the main drop table, where unique items can be rolled. Drops here are awarded to the top 7 contributors to the fight. This includes up to two tanks and the top 5 damage dealers.
A second, inferior drop table is awarded to the top 3 players who contributed in the fight but were not eligible to roll for the main drop table. This is only accessible when fighting Nex in a group of 8 or larger. Both drop tables have access to the Blood Tentacle.
Each kill is worth 23,602,016.22 coins purely from unique drops in a team of 7 players, assuming all players survive to receive loot; this number is split among all players in the team. However if a team decides to have 8 or more players the average value per kill from uniques drops to 18,475,610.23 coins due to the wand of the praesul and imperium core becoming less frequent.
|The Promised Gift||1||Always||Not sold|
|The Praesul||1||Always||Not sold|
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 1,432 kills.|
25 charms are dropped at a time.
Primary table dropsEdit
These drops are awarded to the top 7 contributors in the fight (2 tanks and then top 5 DPS). Note that the wand of the praesul, imperium core and praesul codex drops are limited to one per kill, if at all. Chests on the other hand, are not limited. All non-unique non-stackable drops are dropped in noted form.
|Ascendri bolts (e)||60–77||Uncommon||586,980–753,291|
|Crystal triskelion||1||Common||Not sold|
|Onyx bolt tips||73–89||Uncommon||488,297–595,321|
|Rune 2h crossbow||20–69||Uncommon||166,800–575,460|
|Praesul codex||1||Rare[m 1]||598,618,320|
|Wand of the praesul||1||Very rare[m 2]||1,478,990,834|
|Imperium core||1||Very rare[m 2]||351,868,446|
|Intricate smoke-shrouded chest||1||Very rare(1/20000)[m 3]||227,618,080|
|Intricate shadow chest||1||Very rare(1/20000)[m 3]||318,934,598|
|Intricate blood stained chest||1||Very rare(1/20000)[m 3]||378,367,306|
|Intricate ice chest||1||Very rare(1/20000)[m 3]||311,353,664|
This can only be awarded by those who have access to either drop table. All non-unique non-stackable drops are dropped in noted form.
|Blood tentacle||1||Very rare[d 1]||Not sold|
Secondary table dropsEdit
These drops are awarded to next 3 players (if applicable) after the main drop table is rolled.
|Wine of Zamorak||3–20||Uncommon||29,049–193,660|
|Super restore (3)||14–23 (noted)||Common||57,274–94,093|
|Saradomin brew (3)||6–16 (noted)||Common||40,992–109,312|
- Hungry Hungry Reavers ( 75) - Defeat Nex: Angel of Death without any of the group damaging any of the blood reavers.
- Fallen Angel ( 0) - Obtained a collection of unique drops from Nex: Angel of Death.
- Upon release, the wand of the praesul and imperium core were dropped more commonly than intended. Jagex increased their rarity later the same day.
- Upon release, there were several bugs with the fight, all of which have been fixed:
- For every Nex: Angel of Death kill you obtained, you would also gain 1 Prestige when quickchatting your killcount, which normally only happens upon reaching 60,000 kills.
- If a player died in the fight but was eligible for a drop, the player could create their own instance and wait inside until the kill that they died from was finished, and their drop would be left on the ground. The player could then lobby and rejoin on a player from their team that was still in the instance and grab their loot, or another player could wait until their drop appears to pick it up for them.
- Nex was able to be provoked from the viewing platform but could not attack players standing there so she could be easily killed by players with no risk.
- Based on player feedback, Nex was given several changes on 19 June 2017:
- The two lore books (which are master quest cape requirements) can now be obtained by all players by searching the exit pedestal.
- Dominion mines could be used in the arena.
- Players trapped under an icicle during phase 3 can no longer be targeted by a shadow trap during the final phase. Prior to this, it was possible for this to happen and would outright kill the trapped player. There are still some circumstances that occur where players can still be targeted by a shadow trap while pinned by an icicle.
- The name of the player who interacts with the mysterious energy is broadcast throughout the arena.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 2 February 2017. Mod Ramen: "it gets a lot harsher after 7 man"
- ^ https://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/76j83f/question_about_nex_aod_beam_mechanic/doehctp/
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 2 February 2017. Mod Ramen: "Anyone who rolls a drop, first table and second table!"