Nex is the general of the Zarosian army.
Unless you possess the strongest gear and experience, it is recommended that you fight Nex with a team.
Skill level recommendationsEdit
- Level 80+ or (95+ For solo)
- Level 85+ (90+ for solo)
- Level 80+ (90+ for solo)
- Level 88+ (for extreme potions)
- Level 70+
- Level 68+ (for the war tortoise and bunyip), (96 for solo)
The following levels are very useful:
- Level 96+ (for Overloads)
- Level 95+ (for Turmoil and Torment) or, alternatively 70+ with an Amulet of Zealots (Requires 48 )
- Level 88-96+ (for the unicorn stallion and pack yak)
Nex resides in the Ancient Prison. To enter this prison, one must assemble the Frozen key. The four pieces of the key are obtained by defeating followers in each stronghold of the dungeon, from Armadyl, Bandos, Saradomin and Zamorak. Each piece is found in a different stronghold, and the strongholds require 70 Agility, Constitution, Ranged, and Strength. None of these skills may be boosted.
Once the key parts are obtained, assemble them. This has no requirements and will fuse into the frozen key. Then go to the southern area of the main room and find a frozen door. When you interact with the door it will open for you at the cost of a charge from the key.
The frozen key has ten charges and one is used whenever entering the prison. The key can be repaired at an armour stand for 50,000 to 10,000 coins per charge, depending on your Smithing level. If the key is not protected on death, you will need to regain all parts again so remember to pay the insurance fee from Death should this happen.
Alternatively, those with access to the Max Guild can use its PvM portal to teleport straight to the dungeon. You will be placed downstairs inside the frozen door, requiring your frozen key in order to use it.
Inside the prison is a chamber filled with Zarosian followers, aggressive towards all players even if wearing Nex-related equipment. The only way to make them tolerant is the Shard of Zaros, a post-quest item from completing the quest Fate of the Gods. Like all other god chambers, at the end of the chamber is another door which requires either 40 Zarosian killcount or by wearing a set of ancient ceremonial robes. It is highly advised to bring and wear the robes to save time and avoid killing Zarosian followers.
Beyond that room is a second and final safe room and the spirit of Ashuelot Reis, with whom you can access your bank. On the eastern wall is a magical barrier that can be disabled to enter Nex's chamber. When you reach the safe room, bank both the key and robes and switch for your combat gear. If you fail to bank the key and die without protecting it, you will have to reobtain the key parts again which can take more then one hour and result in you having to pay the recovery fee from Death.
Nex has an option to be fought in an instance, costing 800,000 coins per hour, but can be set towards a fastest, fast and average spawn. Unlike fighting her in a normal room, in an instance Nex flies towards the centre rather then her target and will immediately attack after saying "Fill my soul with smoke!" rather then wandering around the room.
Note: In an instance, Nex will always start off with Deflect Magic as the side curse when the instance is first entered (or re-entered if the player returns).
If you are in a relaxed team of several people, equipment such as ganodermic armour and chaotic weaponry will suffice. Nevertheless, Nex has quite high accuracy and defence, so tier 90 weaponry and at least level 80+ armour are recommended for smaller teams. Void can be used for DPS, although doing so is not recommended unless one has prior experience at Nex.
If you plan to solo Nex, you should bring a shield to counter her ice prisons and heal from her magic attacks during her Zaros phase.
It should be noted that if players plan to mage Nex, a second switch is required as her mages are immune to magic attacks. Regardless of your primary combat style, a second switch is recommended to bypass Nex's deflection curses, otherwise kills will take significantly longer.
Meleers yield moderate resistance against melee and no resistance against Magic. During shadow phase, a hit and run tactic must be used to avoid being engulfed by shadows unless a weapon with extra range is used.
Mages yield high resistance against melee and moderate resistance against Magic.
Rangers have a high resistance to Magic, however little resistance against melee. This may cause Nex to try and melee the player if she is targeting them.
The most effective soloing and duoing makes use of instances. This is because Nex will always start with Deflect Magic, making her completely vulnerable to ranged attacks for the whole fight. As this method is designed to kill Nex quickly and does not focus on a prolonged fight, use of the Void Knight equipment is highly recommended to gain an increased accuracy and damage output. To further increase this accuracy bonus, players should bring a Shadow nihil as its accuracy buff effects stack with void armour. Players attempting speed kills for the first time should bring a Pack yak until they feel comfortable enough to use shadow nihils.
The player will need to have a high melee defense for the duration of Nex's shadow phase, as Nex will attempt to melee her target if their melee defense is lower than their ranged. Running can be used to counter Nex's attempts, however this is not recommended due to the 9 second stun attack which will occur if she cannot catch up with her target.
After shadow phase is completed, players can switch to their ranged boots as Nex will attempt to melee the player regardless of their armour strengths/weaknesses on every phase afterwards.
Once Nex is killed, all players in the room should teleport out, rebank and return to the instance. This will ensure that when the instance is re-entered again, Nex will be using Deflect Magic rather then Deflect Missiles, which will happen if a player is still in the instance when Nex respawns.
Smoke phase: During this phase, she will use Smoke spells in the form of chaotic clouds. These have a moderate range and are also capable of poisoning the player, up to 360 poison damage. Her special abilities in this phase are:
- "Let the virus flow through you!" - One player (the one Nex targets) will get infected (this may miss). The player's combat stats are rapidly drained every time they say "Cough". This can spread between players and has a 3x3 radius. The cough resets if infected players infect healthy or other infected players.
- "There is... NO ESCAPE!" - Nex will teleport and fly through one of the paths of the central symbol, damaging any players who stand in her way for up to 4000 and disabling their protection prayers.
- Dragging a player - Draws a player to Nex, deactivating their prayers and stunning them. Nex tends to do this during the beginning of the phase, and after that she usually tends to do the drag after she does her "NO ESCAPE!" attack. This attack is magical, so the more magic attacks Nex uses, the greater the chance that she will drag a player more. As this attack is classified as a stun, Freedom and Anticipation can prevent her drags.
After her life points are dropped down to 160.000 and her mage Fumus is killed, she will go to the next phase.
Shadow phase: During this phase, she will use Shadow spells, which are in fact ranged attacks that represents a shadowed vampyre. This is the only phase where she uses ranged-based attacks that drain prayer if they hit. Her special abilities in this phase are:
- "Fear the shadow!" - Shadow traps will appear under every player in the area. After 3 ticks, any player still standing on them will be hit for up to 4,000 damage. One can use Soul Split when she calls a shadow, helping save food during the kill.
- "Embrace darkness!" - The room will be darkened drastically, only occurring to players within 15 spaces of her. The closer you are to Nex, the darker the room will be. If you are within melee range of Nex for five seconds, you will get a message saying "The shadows start to consume you!" and be dealt rapid damage up to 700 per tick until you get away from her.
- This attack will repeat again if a player who did not receive this ability is within range of Nex. (e.g. she uses "Embrace darkness!" then a player jumps down from the barrier, she will use it again)
After her life points are dropped down to 120.000 and her mage Umbra is killed, she will go to the next phase.
Blood phase: During this phase, she will use Blood spells which will heal her for around 600 lifepoints per attack, and also hits others next to her target. Her special abilities in this phase are:
- "A siphon will solve this!" - Nex will summon two to three blood reavers (depending on team size; sizes of less than 10 will get two while more than that will get three), while kneeling down on the ground for 8 ticks. Any damage inflicted on her will instead heal her, shown by purple hit splats. In addition, if there are any blood reavers left over from the previous siphon, they will instantly die and Nex will be healed by how many life points they had. If she reaches 2/5ths of her health when she does this, the reavers will die but will not heal her, and no additional blood reavers will spawn. For every hit a blood reaver inflicts on a player, Nex will recover 92 lifepoints regardless of their actual hit.
- "I demand a blood sacrifice!" - Nex will target a player, who will glow red. If the player does not move away from Nex in time, she will heal an amount equal to 100% of the target's maximum life points and deal damage equal to 10% of them. All other players will have their current Prayer points cut in half. It is advised to run if targeted. Nex seems to use this attack on the farthest player from her. If all players are close enough, she will pick a player within melee range. Note that sometimes, Nex may chase the targeted player and it will be needed for them to use Surge/Escape. Her aggression will always change to the targeted player when they are picked as the sacrifice.
- Healing - This ability is active from the start of the blood phase and last until the phase ends. If Nex is attacked with a successful bleed over time ability, such as Combust, Fragmentation Shot, Deadshot, Dismember, Slaughter, Blood tendrils or the Attacker's insignia, the hits will instead heal Nex instead of doing damage. This includes Corruption Shot and Corruption Blast.
After her life points are dropped down to 80.000 life points, Nex will not heal herself anymore. When her mage Cruor is killed, she will go to the next phase. If she sacrifices the blood reavers before she calls Cruor's name out, the gained health must be depleted again. If she calls Cruor's name out, she will not heal from the reavers if she uses her siphon again.
Ice phase: During this phase, she will use Ice spells which will target all players, freeze them (if Protect/Deflect Magic is off) and lower prayer points.
Her special attacks in this phase are:
- "Die now, in a prison of ice!" - Nex freezes a targeted player using an ice stalagmite attack, stunning them and dropping their overhead protection/deflection prayer. When the ice recedes, the trapped player will be hit for between 6,000 and 8,000 damage. Players can use Freedom or Anticipation to avoid being stunned and can use Barricade to completely block the attack. If Nex is within melee range she will attack with melee, and with mage if distant enough. Other players can free the trapped player by attacking the icicles forming the prison, which may take a while to break.
- "Contain this!" - Nex creates a barrier of ice (3 by 3 squares) around her. Players caught in the original ice barrier will be dealt up to 3,500 damage and be stunned. Small icicle rushes will surge from them, dealing up to 1,700 damage if they hit a player but will not cause any other effects
Note: If Blood phase ended with a blood sacrifice then Nex will use the "Contain this!" first. If she ended with a siphon then she will launch an ice prison instead.
After her life points are dropped down to 40.000 and her mage Glacies is killed, she will go to the last phase.
Final phase: During this phase, she will only use her normal magic and melee attacks. However, they will become far more accurate and powerful, hitting massive (2,000) damage even through prayer. She also gains a slight defensive buff during this phase, with the maximum damage that can be done against her up to 3500 per hit. She will cycle between using Soul Split and the other Deflect prayers, with deflect melee being the most commonly used during this phase. It should be noted that her Turmoil will drain stats off players and her Soul Split will heal for 2500 (up to three targets max) regardless of the actual damage inflicted.
- "NOW, THE POWER OF ZAROS!" - At the start of this phase, Nex heals for 33,333 life points and activates Turmoil, giving her greater combat stats and lowering combat stats from all players in range.
- "Taste my wrath!" - Upon death, Nex will activate Wrath, dealing up to 6,000 damage to all nearby players. Her version of Wrath covers a 5x5 area, although it takes longer to activate.
The battle against Nex is fought in a circular room that resembles the symbol of Zaros. Nex moves very quickly; she can jump across the room in 2 ticks, as well as being able to leap across the holes, if she had a target and cannot find them, but still are in the arena. Nex uses her abilities in each phase after 5 attacks are sent at the player; in the Zaros phase, she switches her overhead curses every 3 attacks instead, excluding Deflect Magic/Missiles. If Nex flies over to her target, she will skip 3 of her normal attacks.
The battle has five phases: Smoke, Shadow, Blood, Ice and a final (Zaros) phase. There are 4 level 111 mages in the four corners of the room. These mages are Fumus, Umbra, Cruor, and Glacies, and they represent the four elements of the Ancient Magicks spellbook used in the first four phases. They are weak against bolts. As their represented spell users, they have the benefits of their ancient magick spells. Players should be aware that the mages are immune to magic attacks and have a heavy damage cap on them, so avoid using abilities like Shadow Tendrils as you will lose a relatively large amount of health for very little damage.
Nex can use all three Deflect curses, although she can only use two of them in each kill. Deflect Melee is only used on her Zaros phase, mostly after a Soul Split. Deflect Magic and Deflect Missiles can be used at any time during the kill. However, these two Deflect curses will switch every successful kill, so after Deflect Missiles, Nex will use Deflect Magic on the next kill. These deflects operate differently then those of regular players: they provide 100% immunity to their respective style and reflect more damage.
During the fight, Nex uses Ancient Magicks spells of the same type as the mage of that phase. Nex also has regular melee attacks that hit up to around 2,500. All of Nex's melee attacks target one player, although they hit every player within her melee attack range. The magic attacks will target everyone that is close by (around 8 square radius) and can also hit up to and around 2,500 during the kill. On Zaros Nex's attacks will be stronger and she can hit up to 5,000 with her magic attacks if the player doesn't have protect from magic activated.
Unlike most other bosses, Nex will try to take advantage of the player's weaknesses for herself; if the player is weak against melee attacks, she will move in to attack them with both magic (ranged on shadow phase) and melee attacks, which can be problematic on her Shadow phase, as Nex will constantly bleed any player that is in close melee distance. If this occurs a player should first of all equip their other gear so they're not weak to melee anymore and then either walk Nex (turn walk on and let Nex "walk over the player") until she teleports away or one could surge or escape and then continue running away from Nex until she teleports away from the player. This will reset the effect of Nex running into melee distance.
On her Blood, Ice and Zaros phases she will attempt to melee the player, regardless of her target's weaknesses.
Bringing a shield is also helpful throughout the fight, as her attacks can hit very high often, especially the ice prison on the ice phase. This is especially useful when soloing. It may seem a better idea for more experienced soloers to use Void Knight equipment over conventional high-tiered armour due to it having an accuracy buff that other armours do not provide, which is vital during the Blood, Ice and Final phases; however this means the player will be more vulnerable to attacks, especially during the Zaros phase.
In all phases, make sure you are a fair distance from Nex if she is after you. If you try to "walk" her or run away when she is within attacking range of the player (especially when she tries to melee you), you will take "stomp" damage of up to 2000 and be stunned for 10 seconds.
As soon as Nex appears, equip your shield and gain adrenaline from Fumus: Freedom, Escape, Preparation, Resonance, and Anticipation as the last ability before attacking Nex. During this phase, Nex's magic attacks can hit relatively hard (similar to blood phase's damage). Players ranging or maging should immediately use a bleed and lure her out from the middle. Her magic attacks have a chance to drag the player to Nex, regardless of their distance to her and will stun them for 3 seconds, in addition to dealing increased damage. If you are dragged and have a spirit shield, equip it to reduce the damage from the next few hits while you are stunned. It is best to lure her near Fumus in the event of a drag as she may drag the player into the paths and inflict more damage on them.
When Nex says "There is...", immediately use a multiplier bleed on her, so when she moves from the middle she takes more damage from them. Avoid being in the middle of the chamber or you risk taking heavy damage when she says "NO ESCAPE!". Move out into the edges of the chamber and immediately use Anticipate/Freedom (whichever is available) to avoid being unexpectedly dragged for extra damage.
Once Nex reaches 160,000 lifepoints and calls out Fumus, kill him as quickly as possible, while maintaining use of Anticipation or Freedom when possible to avoid being dragged while killing him. Right after you killed Fumus, one could use Devotion as it will not drain any adrenaline because you killed your target.
Before ending the smoke phase, wait until Nex starts another "There is...". Attack her while she starts up the animation so shadow phase will begin and make shadow traps appear first instead of darkness to deal more damage before she starts attacking back.
During this phase, Nex either starts off with a shadow trap or "Embrace darkness!". A shadow trap is laid if Nex was attacked after Fumus died before she said "Let the virus flow through you!". She will begin with "Embrace darkness!" if she was attacked after attempting to give a virus to her target. In addition, Nex's ranged attacks will slightly drain prayer if they hit.
Regardless of whatever she says, immediately use a bleed if possible and go under Nex or lure her into the corners to multiply the bleed damage. If the phase was started with a shadow trap, use of Soul Split is recommended to recover any lost health before she starts attacking the players. If the target Nex is focused on is weak to melee, she will start chasing after them. In this case, the targeted player should run away from Nex making use of Surge and take off gear making them weak to melee until she flies over to them, as it will reset her meter and resume using ranged attacks instead. In a group, the tank should provoke her and also start running until she flies, as she will still try to melee the tanker because of the other player's melee weakness.
Once Nex reaches 120,000 lifepoints and calls out Umbra, kill him as quickly as possible, while ensuring that you reach 100% adrenaline before starting the next phase, as it will be vital to clear it quickly. Use Berserk, Sunshine or Death's Swiftness before you start the blood phase or use Onslaught at max distance right afther Nex siphoned.
During this phase, Nex will usually begins with "A siphon will solve this!", and summon up to 3 Blood reavers (2 if in a team of 5 or less). Gain adrenaline off Nex, avoiding any damage dealing abilities as it will heal her during this time, in addition to attacking immediately after finishing the siphon. Drink a dose of adrenaline potion and use your thresholds to deal as much damage to Nex as possible. The tank should stay within melee distance of Nex to reduce the amount of magic attacks she will use on them. Four attacks after summoning the reavers, Nex will pick a player within her attack range and say "I demand a blood sacrifice!", with that player turning red. The player should immediately run away from her, otherwise she will heal 10,000 lifepoints off that player and more from other players if they are within range, cutting their prayer points in half also. In addition, she will change targets if in a group, so the main tank will use Provoke to grab her attention again.
When soloing, players should position themselves carefully during the four attacks before the sacrifice. If there are any reavers within attacking distance, severely wound or kill them to reduce the amount of health Nex will recover if she has not reached 80,000 lifepoints by the time she does another siphon, as she will heal up to 14,800 lifepoints from two intact reavers. Stay within melee distance of Nex to reduce the amount of magic attacks, as her magic attacks on this phase always hit and heal around 1,000-1,500 hitpoints per cast. When she says "I demand a blood sacrifice!", stay at least 6 spaces away from her, and use Surge to escape if she tries to melee you. Staying within melee distance will prevent Nex from force moving you into a position where you may end up surging into a wall closeby and allowing her to heal from your mistake. If Nex has not reached 90,000 lifepoints at this time, kill the other reaver. When she does another siphon, kill the reavers before focusing on Nex; it is very easy for her to recover health if players become too desperate to reduce her to 80,000 lifepoints from failed attacks. With a two-handed weapon, it is advised to use an auto-attack before using abilities; it can deal a large amount of damage and there is no delay between an auto-attack and an ability.
Once Nex reaches 80,000 lifepoints, all siphons afterwards will not summon any reavers, and if there were any reavers when she used it, will not recover any health from them. If Nex uses another siphon, move away from her to a position where she cannot see you and kill Cruor as fast as possible. Otherwise, she will see the player and will attack them, wasting supplies for the next two phases. If Devotion and Resonance are available, immediately Resonance the first hit and Devotion the second one. Once Nex demands another sacrifice, attack her immediately.
If you plan to begin the Ice phase with "Contain this!" instead of "Die now, in a prison of ice!" wait for her to say "I demand a blood sacrifice!". Make sure you stay far enough after the sacrifice ability, since the ability stops after the ice phase begins and will cause her to heal up to 90,000 lifepoints, wasting time that could have been used to start the Zaros phase.
During this phase, Nex will immediately use one of two unique ice phase abilities, dependent on what quote was said prior to starting this phase:
- "Contain this!" used first if Nex's last quote was "I demand a blood sacrifice!". She usually run towards her target's last position when she says this, and after 3 seconds four icicles will pop up, and have a 3x3 range around them. Getting hit by these icicles will deal up to 2,500 damage, stun anyone nearby and disable their overhead protection prayers. Smaller icicle rushes will also appear if players were in visible range of Nex, and have a range of 5 squares before disappearing. Getting hit by these will only deal up to 1,500 damage. Players should be wary whenever she does this as like the blood sacrifice, she may attempt to melee her target and result in them being hit by the main icicles. Surge/Escape is recommended if she tries chasing after the player after using this ability.
- "Die now, in a prison of ice!" will be used first if Nex's last quote was "A siphon will solve this!". She will encase her target in a prison of ice, stunning them for 5 seconds and disabling any overhead protection prayers for the same amount of time. Nex can either attempt to melee the target or use magic attacks against the trapped player. Although melee is not possible, she can occasionally melee through the prison if she flies into one of the tiles being covered in icicles. The prison deals up to 8000 damage and the addition of her magic/melee attack that can hit up to 2,500 can kill the trapped player quickly. To free the trapped player, simply break one of the icicles forming the prison; note that this may take multiple tries to do so.
In addition, her magic attack will drain 150 prayer points if they hit.
In a group, if the main tank is put in a prison of ice, they will usually use Freedom, then Barricade or Immortality, depending on the amount of health they have left. They should focus on gaining another 100% adrenaline to block the next prison, this time using Anticipation as Freedom will most likely be on cooldown, then the other ultimate defensive ability.
If soloing, players can either block the prison, or tank it instead. If players are planning to tank it, it is advised to reach 9,000+ lifepoints in time; use of Resonance and Reflect are highly important to avoid being combo'ed by the prison and potential attack. It is advised to start off the phase with "Contain this!" to reduce the amount of ice prisons overall and have a head start on the phase by dealing extra damage. Using Sunshine or Death's Swiftness is also advised to reduce her health as quickly as possible, since the supplies are usually depleted during this phase.
Regardless of party size, should Barricade or Immortality be unavailable or is not used, Resonance can be another alternative; should Nex attack the entrapped player again, it will heal off the attack should it hit. If Resonance is not available, Reflect can be used instead to drastically reduce the incoming attack, increasing the player's chance of survival from both a prison and a standard attack at once. Alternatively one could also use Reprisal to inflict a high amount of damage on Nex as a result from the Ice Prison damage.
Once Nex reaches 40,000 lifepoints, kill Glacies as quick as possible to avoid another potential ice prison. If Nex says "Contain this!", you should try to hide from her range if you can to prevent her from attacking you. Once she flies over to you however, you only have 4.8 seconds to kill him and start the final phase before she launches an ice prison.
During this phase, Nex begins with "NOW, THE POWER OF ZAROS!", healing back to 73,333 lifepoints and activating Turmoil which visibly drains the players stats when the effect occurs, and increases all of her combat stats. Nex will always start off with Soul Split at the beginning of this phase unless her Deflect Magic/Missiles curse carried over from the previous phase. For every successful attack she does towards nearby players, she will heal 2,500 hitpoints with a limit of three players at a time. Deflect Magic is the most common overhead prayer to use during this phase, as an unprotected magic attack can deal up to 5,000 damage, while her melee attack still has the same max hit as the last four phases. Her magic attacks also have a chance to drain the player's prayer points. In addition, thresholds and ultimates will have their damage greatly reduced; abilities like Shadow Tendrils should not be used during this phase.
After three attacks, Nex will switch from Soul Split to Deflect Melee, so use of melee is discouraged during this phase, unless another overhead curse is in effect. After three attacks, she will switch to no overhead curses before resuming the same rotation again. If Nex uses Deflect Missiles/Magic and the player has a melee switch, it is advised to use it as these curses will last significantly longer compared to Soul Split and Deflect Melee. Use of Resonance is encouraged to heal from her highly damaging attacks, saving supplies. Devotion is also recommended to reduce damage from her attacks.
In a group, players should stay away from the tank, as Nex's melee attacks now shatter, dealing damage to everyone next to or near her target. Regardless, players should keep their health above 2,500 to ensure they will not be accidentally killed from a swipe or a magic attack. Using Death's Swiftness or Sunshine is recommended, as other ultimates are likely to hit higher, but her increased defence and the damage cap make them as strong as a threshold. Once Nex is killed, she will activate Wrath - but it will take 3 seconds to charge, so players within 4 spaces of her should move away to avoid being hit by it. After each kill, a player should use the enhanced excalibur special and regenerate, Guthix's Blessing if they do not posses this item or Ice Asylum (group) if they don't need to rebank to recover lost health and save supplies.