Nex is one of the strongest bosses in RuneScape, tied in level with the Queen Black Dragon and surpassed by the Kalphite King, Vorago and Araxxor. All of her attacks can hit very high and can hit multiple players at once.
Unless you possess the strongest gear and experience, it is recommended that you fight Nex with a team.
Skill level recommendationsEdit
- Level 80+ or (95+ For solo)
- Level 85+ (90+ for Solo)
- Level 80+ (90+ for solo)
- Level 96+ (for Overloads)
- Level 95+
- Level 68+ (for the war tortoise and bunyip), (96 for solo)
The following levels are very useful:
- Level 88+ (for extreme potions)
- Level 95+ (for Turmoil and Torment) or, alternatively 70+ with an Amulet of Zealots (Requires 48 )
- Level 88-96+ (for the unicorn stallion and pack yak)
|Click to view a larger version (opens on a new page).|
Nex resides in the Ancient Prison. To enter this prison, one must assemble the Frozen key. The four pieces of the key are obtained by defeating followers in each stronghold of the dungeon, from Armadyl, Bandos, Saradomin and Zamorak. Each piece is found in a different stronghold, and the strongholds require 70 Agility, Constitution, Ranged, and Strength. None of these skills may be boosted.
Inside the prison is a chamber of Zarosian followers, which are aggressive towards all players, unless they use the Shard of Zaros, a post-quest item from completing Fate of the Gods quest. Like all chambers, another door is at the end, which requires killing 40 Zarosian followers or by wearing a set of ancient ceremonial robes, which bypass the killcount. It is highly advised you bring a set of ceremonial robes to avoid killing Zarosian followers.
Beyond here is a safe room and the spirit Ashuelot Reis, with whom you can access your bank. On the eastern wall is a magical barrier, which you can dispel to enter Nex's chamber. When you reach the safe room, deposit your key and ancient ceremonial robes (if you die with your key and fail to protect it, you will have to kill followers in the main strongholds for the key again and may take longer then one hour). Making a bonfire will boost the player's maximum lifepoints.
There is no altar within, and the only way out is to teleport or be slain. Unlike the other bosses of the God Wars Dungeon, if you die your grave will be on the spot you died. If there is no one in the room, Nex and any remaining bodyguards will despawn. If a player enters Nex's room, she will spawn shortly afterwards, but if a player logs in her room the spawn will be slightly delayed.
If you are in a relaxed team of several people, equipment such as ganodermic armour and chaotic weaponry will suffice. Nevertheless, Nex has quite high accuracy and defence, so tier 90 weaponry and at least level 80+ armour are recommended for smaller teams. Void can be used for DPS, although doing so is not recommended unless one has prior experience at Nex.
If you plan to solo Nex, you should bring a shield to counter her ice prisons. Also, surpassing her blood phase by yourself requires incredible DPS (40,000 damage in around 25 seconds); this may require drygore, Ascension, or seismic weaponry.
Meleers yield moderate resistance against melee and no resistance against Magic.
- Head: Malevolent helm > Torva full helm > (Superior) Tetsu helm > Ganodermic visor
- Amulet: Saradomin's whisper > Amulet of fury
- Ring: Ring of Vigour > Warrior ring (i) > Onyx ring (i) / Sixth-Age circuit / Warrior ring
- Cape: Completionist cape > Max cape > TokHaar-Kal > Fire cape > Skillcape
- Body: Malevolent cuirass > Torva platebody >(Superior) tetsu body > Bandos chestplate / Verac's brassard
- Legs: Malevolent greaves > Torva platelegs> (Superior) tetsu legs > Bandos tassets / Verac's plateskirt
- Gloves: Static gloves > Torva gloves / Spellcaster gloves > Bandos gauntlets
- Boots: Ragefire boots > Torva boots > Bandos boots
- Main-hand: Drygore mace / rapier / longsword > Chaotic claw / rapier / longsword / maul
- Two-handed: Noxious scythe > Chaotic maul / Chaotic spear
- Off-hand: Off-hand drygore mace / rapier / longsword > Off-hand chaotic claw / rapier / longsword > Enhanced excalibur
- Shield (optional): Divine spirit shield / Chaotic kiteshield > Bandos warshield
- Scrimshaw: (Superior) scrimshaw of vampyrism
- Aura: Vampyrism > Inspiration > Invigorate
Magers yield high resistive against melee and moderate resistance against Magic.
Rangers have a high resistant to Magic, however little resistant against melee.
SmokeEditSmoke phase: During this phase, she will use Smoke spells in the form of chaotic clouds. These have a moderate range and are also capable of poisoning the player, up to 360 poison damage. Her special abilities in this phase are:
- "Let the virus flow through you!" - One player (the one Nex targets) will get infected (this may miss). The player's combat stats are rapidly drained every time they say "Cough". This can spread between players and has a 3x3 radius. The cough resets if infected players spread it to healthy players.
- "There is... NO ESCAPE!" - Nex will teleport and fly through one of the paths of the central symbol, damaging players who stand in her way for up to 4000 and disabling their protection prayers.
- Dragging a player - Draws a player to Nex, deactivating their prayers and stunning them. Nex tends to do this during the beginning of the phase, and after that she usually tends to do the drag after she does her "NO ESCAPE!" attack.
After she reaches 4/5th of her life points and her mage Fumus is killed, she will go to the next phase.
ShadowEditShadow phase: During this phase, she will use Shadow spells, which are in fact ranged attacks that represents a shadowed vampyre. This is the only phase where she uses ranged-based attacks. Her special abilities in this phase are:
- "Fear the shadow!" - Shadow traps will appear under every player in the area. After 3 ticks, any player still standing on them will be hit for up to 4000 damage. One can use Soul Split when she calls a shadow, helping save food during the kill.
- "Embrace darkness!" - The room will be darkened drastically, only occurring to players within 15 spaces of her. The closer you are to Nex, the darker the room will be. If you stand too close to Nex for five seconds, you will get a message saying "The shadows start to consume you!" and be dealt rapid damage up to 700 per tick until you get away from her.
After she reaches 3/5th of her life points and her mage Umbra is killed, she will go to the next phase.
BloodEditBlood phase: During this phase, she will use Blood spells which will heal her. Her special abilities in this phase are:
- "A siphon will solve this!" - Nex will summon up to three blood reavers and kneel down for about 8 ticks. During this, all damage she receives instead heals her, shown by purple hit splats. Any blood reavers from the previous siphon will instantly die, and Nex will be healed by however many lifepoints they had remaining. If her health runs to 2/5th of her maximum lifepoints and she does this, the reavers will die but she will not heal from them.
- "I demand a blood sacrifice!" - Nex will target a player, who will glow red. If the player does not move away from Nex in time, she will heal an amount equal to 100% of the targets maximum lifepoints and deal damage equal to 10% of them. It is advised to run if targeted. Nex seems to use this attack on the farthest player from her. If all players are close enough, she will pick a player within melee range.
- Healing - This ability is active from the start of the blood phase and last until the phase ends. If Nex is attacked with a successful bleed over time ability, such as Combust, Fragmentation Shot, Deadshot, Dismember or Slaughter, the hits will instead heal Nex instead of doing damage.
After she reaches 2/5th of her life points and her mage Cruor is killed, she will go to the next phase. If she sacrifices the Blood reavers before she calls Cruor's name out, the health must be depleted again. If she calls Cruor's name out, she will not heal from the reavers.
IceEditIce phase: During this phase, she will use Ice spells which will target all players, freeze them (if Protect/Deflect Magic is off) and lower prayer points. Her special attacks in this phase are:
- "Die now, in a prison of ice!" - Nex freezes a targeted player using an ice stalagmite attack, stunning them and dropping their overhead protection/deflection prayer. When the ice recedes, the trapped player will be hit for 5000+ damage. Players can use Freedom against this. If Nex is within melee range she will attack with melee, and with mage if distant enough.
- "Contain this!" - Nex creates a barrier of ice (3 by 3 squares) around her. Players caught in the original ice barrier will be dealt up to 3500 damage, get stunned and be unable to eat. Small icicle rushes will surge from them, dealing up to 2000 damage if they hit a player but will not cause any other effects.
After she reaches 1/5th of her life points and her mage Glacies is killed, she will go to the last phase.
Final phase: During this phase, she will only use her normal magic and melee attacks. However, they will become far more accurate and powerful, hitting massive (2000) damage even through prayer. She will cycle between using Soul Split and the other Deflect prayers, with deflect melee being the most commonly used during this phase. It should be noted that her Turmoil will drain stats off players and her Soul Split will heal for almost twice the hit she inflicts.
- "NOW, THE POWER OF ZAROS!" - At the start of this phase, Nex heals about 2/5th of her life points (she heals 40,000 turning it to 73,333) and activates Turmoil, giving her greater combat stats and lowering combat stats from all players in range.
- "Taste my wrath!" - Upon death, Nex will activate Wrath, dealing up to 3000 damage to all nearby players. Her version of Wrath has a larger radius than that of players, but activates after 3 ticks.
The battle against Nex is fought in a circular room that resembles the symbol of Zaros. Nex moves very quickly; she can jump across the room in 2 ticks, as well as being able to leap across the holes. The battle has five phases: Smoke, Shadow, Blood, Ice and a final (Zaros) phase. There are 4 level 165 mages in the four corners of the room. These mages are Fumus, Umbra, Cruor, and Glacies, and they represent the four elements of the Ancient Magicks spellbook used in the first four phases. They are weak against bolts. As their represented spell users, each one also has special benefits for themselves.
Nex can use all three Deflect curses. She may use Deflect Magic and Deflect Ranged during any time during the fight, although it is uncommon for her to use them during the Zaros phase, where she generally uses Deflect Melee often during that phase. Nex's wings will change color according to the deflection curse she is using; blue for magic, green for ranged and orange for melee.
During the fight, Nex uses Ancient Magicks spells of the same type as the mage of that phase. Nex also has regular melee attacks that hit up to around 2200. Depending on the phase, Nex's attacks may or may not be area of effect attacks. The only time this happen is with her magic attacks during the Blood phase, along with her melee attacks during the Zaros phase. When Nex loses 40000 lifepoints, she will say "[mage name], don't fail me!". Kill the mage she has called for, and Nex must be successfully attacked to begin the next phase.
Note that when killing the mages, she will start the next phase only when a successful hit is launched at her. For example, if Glacies is killed and Nex hasn't been successfully hit yet, Nex will continue to use "Ice phase" attacks until she is successfully hit.
With a royal crossbow, one can kill Nex's mages without being in their attack radius, saving food.
It is best to be within melee distance of Nex during this phase, while using Protect/Deflect Melee. Anticipation should be used as frequently as possible, and Surge to be used when she says "There is..." to stay out of her "No escape!" special attack radius if any players are within the paths or centre of the prison. Note that the dragging special only occurs when she uses Magic attacks, so being within melee distance greatly reduces this happening. While killing Fumus, Protect/Deflect Magic should be used as Nex is likely to be maging the player(s) at this point, as well as taking damage from Fumus (unless they are using a royal crossbow and ranging him from afar).
Players should keep a moderate distance away from Nex during this phase, while using Protect/Deflect Missiles. Meleers should perform the hit and run tactic, as being too close for too long will cause rapid hits of up to 600 and she may also begin to chase them, depleting food heavily. She will spawn shadow traps under every player in the room after every 4 attacks, which will inflict heavy damage if a player is not quick enough to move - this can be easily avoided by moving to where no shadow traps are.
She can also use melee when within range, which should be avoided. Note that for rangers she is likely to run after them unless provoked by another player, as she exploits their weakness of being susceptible to melee. This can be mitigated by wearing a magic/melee helm and legs with a range body, at the cost of 20% accuracy for rangers, where Nex is likely to continue ranging them instead.
Should Nex chase after a player and inflict many rapid hits, it is advised to use Surge to get away from her, or another player to use provoke.
Nex's regular attacks will heal her whenever it hits, and it will also be able hit players around her target too. Like the Smoke phase, it is advised to be within melee range, while using Deflect/Protect Magic. As soon as this phase starts, no one should attack Nex as she will exclaim "A siphon will solve this!", spawning blood reavers around her and any damage she takes during siphoning will cause her to heal that much. After the siphon is finished, players should unleash ultimate and threshold abilities on her, as DPS is the key during this phase. If 40,000 damage is not inflicted in about 25 seconds, she will siphon again, gaining the lifepoints of any remaining reavers alive at that point while spawning two more. She will also say "I demand a blood sacrifice!" which will cause a random player to go red; the player should run away from Nex, preferably by using Surge or Escape, as being hit by this will result in Nex healing a hefty amount of lifepoints and lowering the prayer and lifepoints of players. Nex will continue to cycle between siphons and sacrifices until she is at 80,000 lifepoints. Bleed attacks (including Massacre) should not be used during this phase, as the damage will heal her, even if she is not siphoning.
Note that the last special that Nex uses during this phase will determine which one she uses next on the Ice phase - it is advised for her to have last used "I demand a blood sacrifice!" so that she first uses "Contain this!" instead of "Die now, in a prison of ice!".
Nex's regular magic attacks will sap all player's prayer points for every hit during this phase, and it is advised to use Protect/Deflect Magic, while keeping away from melee distance. Nex will use "Contain this!" during this phase, where she will spawn a barrier of icicles around her - if any players are within a 3x3 area around her at this point, they will be hit with heavy damage and stunned, while deactivating Protect/Deflect prayers. Nex may chase the player while exclaiming this special attack, so again Surge and Escape are handy to mitigate this. Also, if players manage to evade the icicles that spawn around her, a single icicle will chase down players if they are close enough and will inflict moderate damage. This can be avoided by running further away, or if there is scenery blocking its path.
Nex's other special attack is the ice prison, where she says "Die now, in a prison of ice!". Before the spell particle reaches the player, they could use Anticipation to avoid being stunned, and use Barricade (provided they have a shield) to prevent all damage done. If they are too late to use Anticipation, then Freedom may be used instead. If the ice prison does hit the targeted player, they will be hit for extremely heavy damage, up to around 8000, and are initially stunned unless they are stun invulnerable at that point. Immortality may also be used to combat this attack, by returning the player back to life if the ice prison manages to kill them.
Once Nex reaches this phase, she will say "NOW, THE POWER OF ZAROS!" where she will activate Turmoil, which will drain the players' stats and she will also flick to Soul Split too (which have the usual effects if used by a player, excepts she gains significantly more lifepoints). She can also use any Deflect overhead curse, most commonly being Deflect Melee. It is advised to keep within melee distance during this phase as her magic attacks hit extremely hard and accurately, being able to hit up to 5000 without Protect/Deflect Magic and 2500 with. It is useful to use Resonance especially on this phase and hoping that she uses a magic attack to heal around 5000.
Once she is defeated, she will activate Wrath which has a larger radius than that of a player's - however it takes 3 ticks to hit and can be easily avoided with Surge or Escape.