Unless you possess the strongest gear and experience, it is recommended that you fight Nex with a team.
Skill level recommendationsEdit
- Level 80+ or (95+ For solo)
- Level 85+ (90+ for Solo)
- Level 80+ (90+ for solo)
- Level 96+ (for Overloads)
- Level 95+
- Level 68+ (for the war tortoise and bunyip), (96 for solo)
The following levels are very useful:
- Level 88+ (for extreme potions)
- Level 95+ (for Turmoil and Torment) or, alternatively 70+ with an Amulet of Zealots (Requires 48 )
- Level 88-96+ (for the unicorn stallion and pack yak)
|Click to view a larger version (opens on a new page).|
Nex resides in the Ancient Prison. To enter this prison, one must assemble the Frozen key. The four pieces of the key are obtained by defeating followers in each stronghold of the dungeon, from Armadyl, Bandos, Saradomin and Zamorak. Each piece is found in a different stronghold, and the strongholds require 70 Agility, Constitution, Ranged, and Strength. None of these skills may be boosted.
Inside the prison is a chamber of Zarosian followers, which are aggressive towards all players, unless they use the Shard of Zaros, a post-quest item from completing Fate of the Gods quest. Like all chambers, another door is at the end, which requires killing 40 Zarosian followers or by wearing a set of ancient ceremonial robes, which bypass the killcount. It is highly advised you bring a set of ceremonial robes to avoid killing Zarosian followers.
Beyond here is a safe room and the spirit Ashuelot Reis, with whom you can access your bank. On the eastern wall is a magical barrier, which you can dispel to enter Nex's chamber. When you reach the safe room, deposit your key and ancient ceremonial robes (if you die with your key and fail to protect it, you will have to kill followers in the main strongholds for the key again and may take longer than one hour). Making a bonfire will boost the player's maximum life points.
There is no altar within, and the only way out is to teleport or be slain. Unlike the other bosses of the God Wars Dungeon, if you die your grave will be on the spot you died. If there is no one in the room, Nex and any remaining bodyguards will despawn. If a player enters Nex's room, she will spawn shortly afterwards, but if a player logs in her room the spawn will be slightly delayed.
Nex also has the option to be fought in an instanced fight; her instance costs 800,000 coins for one hour, but can be set at either fast, average or slow spawn rates. The player can begin the instance by clicking on the barrier. When using an instance, her first side curse is Deflect Magic. Unlike the base version of Nex, if there are player(s) in the bank room and no one in the boss room, Nex will not despawn; instead she will wander around or try to attack the first target she picks. If she is unable to reach a player, she will fly back to the center of the room and try again, compared to flying straight to the player. She will also attempt to attack a player after she says "Fill my soul with smoke!".
If you are in a relaxed team of several people, equipment such as ganodermic armour and chaotic weaponry will suffice. Nevertheless, Nex has quite high accuracy and defence, so tier 90 weaponry and at least level 80+ armour are recommended for smaller teams. Void can be used for DPS, although doing so is not recommended unless one has prior experience at Nex.
If you plan to solo Nex, you should bring a shield to counter her ice prisons. Also, surpassing her blood phase by yourself requires incredible DPS (40,000 damage in around 25 seconds); this will require at least level 90+ weaponry (chaotics work, but may fail to deal enough damage).
It should be noted that if players plan to mage Nex, a second switch is required as her mages are immune to magic attacks. Regardless of your combat style, you should bring a second switch to deal with the mages and counter Nex's deflection curses when she uses them.
Meleers yield moderate resistance against melee and no resistance against Magic.
Mages yield high resistance against melee and moderate resistance against Magic.
Rangers have a high resistance to Magic, however little resistance against melee. This may cause Nex to try and melee the player if she is targeting them.
Smoke phase: During this phase, she will use Smoke spells in the form of chaotic clouds. These have a moderate range and are also capable of poisoning the player, up to 360 poison damage. Her special abilities in this phase are:
- "Let the virus flow through you!" - One player (the one Nex targets) will get infected (this may miss). The player's combat stats are rapidly drained every time they say "Cough". This can spread between players and has a 3x3 radius. The cough resets if infected players infect healthy or other infected players.
- "There is... NO ESCAPE!" - Nex will teleport and fly through one of the paths of the central symbol, damaging players who stand in her way for up to 4000 and disabling their protection prayers.
- Dragging a player - Draws a player to Nex, deactivating their prayers and stunning them. Nex tends to do this during the beginning of the phase, and after that she usually tends to do the drag after she does her "NO ESCAPE!" attack. This attack is magical, so the more magic attacks Nex uses, the greater the chance that she will drag a player more. As this attack is classified as a stun, Freedom and Anticipation can prevent her drags.
After she reaches 4/5th of her life points and her mage Fumus is killed, she will go to the next phase.
Shadow phase: During this phase, she will use Shadow spells, which are in fact ranged attacks that represents a shadowed vampyre. This is the only phase where she uses ranged-based attacks that drain prayer if they hit. Her special abilities in this phase are:
- "Fear the shadow!" - Shadow traps will appear under every player in the area. After 3 ticks, any player still standing on them will be hit for up to 4,000 damage. One can use Soul Split when she calls a shadow, helping save food during the kill.
- "Embrace darkness!" - The room will be darkened drastically, only occurring to players within 15 spaces of her. The closer you are to Nex, the darker the room will be. If you are within melee range of Nex for five seconds, you will get a message saying "The shadows start to consume you!" and be dealt rapid damage up to 700 per tick until you get away from her.
- This attack will repeat again if a player who did not receive this ability is within range of Nex. (e.g. she uses "Embrace darkness!" then a player jumps down from the barrier, she will use it again)
After she reaches 3/5th of her life points and her mage Umbra is killed, she will go to the next phase.
Blood phase: During this phase, she will use Blood spells which will heal her. Her special abilities in this phase are:
- "A siphon will solve this!" - Nex will summon two to three blood reavers (depending on team size; sizes of less than 10 will get two while more than that will get three), while kneeling down on the ground for 8 ticks. Any damage inflicted on her will instead heal her, shown by purple hit splats. In addition, if there are any blood reavers left over from the previous siphon, they will instantly die and Nex will be healed by how many lifepoints they had. If she reaches 2/5ths of her health when she does this, the reavers will die but will not heal her, and no additional blood reavers will spawn.
- "I demand a blood sacrifice!" - Nex will target a player, who will glow red. If the player does not move away from Nex in time, she will heal an amount equal to 100% of the target's maximum life points and deal damage equal to 10% of them. It is advised to run if targeted. Nex seems to use this attack on the farthest player from her. If all players are close enough, she will pick a player within melee range.
- Healing - This ability is active from the start of the blood phase and last until the phase ends. If Nex is attacked with a successful bleed over time ability, such as Combust, Fragmentation Shot, Deadshot, Dismember or Slaughter, the hits will instead heal Nex instead of doing damage.
After she reaches 2/5th of her life points and her mage Cruor is killed, she will go to the next phase. If she sacrifices the blood reavers before she calls Cruor's name out, the gained health must be depleted again. If she calls Cruor's name out, she will not heal from the reavers if she uses her siphon again.
Ice phase: During this phase, she will use Ice spells which will target all players, freeze them (if Protect/Deflect Magic is off) and lower prayer points. Her special attacks in this phase are:
- "Die now, in a prison of ice!" - Nex freezes a targeted player using an ice stalagmite attack, stunning them and dropping their overhead protection/deflection prayer. When the ice recedes, the trapped player will be hit for 5,000+ damage. Players can use Freedom against this. If Nex is within melee range she will attack with melee, and with mage if distant enough. Other players can free the trapped player by attacking the icicles forming the prison, which may take a while to break.
- "Contain this!" - Nex creates a barrier of ice (3 by 3 squares) around her. Players caught in the original ice barrier will be dealt up to 3,500 damage and be stunned. Small icicle rushes will surge from them, dealing up to 2,000 damage if they hit a player but will not cause any other effects.
After she reaches 1/5th of her life points and her mage Glacies is killed, she will go to the last phase.
Final phase: During this phase, she will only use her normal magic and melee attacks. However, they will become far more accurate and powerful, hitting massive (2,000) damage even through prayer. She also gains a slight defensive buff during this phase, with the maximum damage that can be done against her up to 3500 per hit. She will cycle between using Soul Split and the other Deflect prayers, with deflect melee being the most commonly used during this phase. It should be noted that her Turmoil will drain stats off players and her Soul Split will heal for almost twice the hit she inflicts.
- "NOW, THE POWER OF ZAROS!" - At the start of this phase, Nex heals for 33,333 life points and activates Turmoil, giving her greater combat stats and lowering combat stats from all players in range.
- "Taste my wrath!" - Upon death, Nex will activate Wrath, dealing up to 6,000 damage to all nearby players. Her version of Wrath has a larger radius than that of players, but activates after 3 ticks.
The battle against Nex is fought in a circular room that resembles the symbol of Zaros. Nex moves very quickly; she can jump across the room in 2 ticks, as well as being able to leap across the holes, if she had a target and cannot find them, but still are in the arena. This will also skip 3 of her attacks, meaning that after 2 attacks after leaping, she will use her special abilities on that phase.
The battle has five phases: Smoke, Shadow, Blood, Ice and a final (Zaros) phase. There are 4 level 111 mages in the four corners of the room. These mages are Fumus, Umbra, Cruor, and Glacies, and they represent the four elements of the Ancient Magicks spellbook used in the first four phases. They are weak against bolts. As their represented spell users, each one also has special benefits for themselves.
Nex can use all three Deflect curses, although she can only use two of them in each kill. Deflect Melee is always used on her Zaros phase, after Soul Split. Deflect Magic and Deflect Missiles can be used at any time during the kill, be it the beginning or near end of the kill. The side deflect curse she uses will be the one she sticks with for that kill only; after a successful kill, she will swap the it for the other one. (e.g. first kill was Deflect Magic, the player(s) killed her, so for the next kill her secondary deflection curse will be Deflect Missiles).
On her Zaros phase, it is uncommon for her to use those deflection curses. Once she begins using that curse, switch to your other combat style immediately. While that curse is active, she is immune to damage from that combat style, and reflection damage can deal very low to extremely high damage, regardless of the actual hit.
During the fight, Nex uses Ancient Magicks spells of the same type as the mage of that phase. Nex also has regular melee attacks that hit up to around 2,200. Depending on the phase, Nex's attacks may or may not be area of effect attacks. The only time this happen is with her magic attacks during the Blood phase, along with her melee attacks during the Zaros phase. When Nex loses 40,000 life points, she will say "[mage name], don't fail me!". Kill the mage she has called for, and Nex must be successfully attacked to begin the next phase.
Note that when killing the mages, she will start the next phase only when a successful hit is launched at her. For example, if Glacies is killed and Nex hasn't been successfully hit yet, Nex will continue to use "Ice phase" attacks until she is successfully hit.
With a royal crossbow/noxious longbow, one can kill Nex's mages without being in their attack radius, saving food and time, especially when soloing and dealing with Cruor and Nex's magic attacks.
Unlike most other bosses, Nex will try to take advantage of the player's weaknesses for herself; if the player is weak against melee attacks, she will move in to attack them with both magic/ranged and melee attacks, which can be problematic on her Shadow phase. However, on her Blood, Ice and Zaros phases she will attempt to melee the player, regardless of her target's weaknesses.
Bringing a shield is also helpful throughout the fight, as her attacks can hit very high often, especially the ice prison on the ice phase. This is especially useful when soloing. It may seem a better idea for more experienced soloers to use Void Knight equipment over conventional high-tiered armour due to it having an accuracy buff that other armours do not provide, which is vital during the Blood, Ice and Final phases; however this means the player will be more vulnerable to attacks, especially during the Zaros phase.
Players can either fight Nex at a distance or stay within melee distance of her. Both have advantages and disadvantages, as being out of Nex's melee range reduces her overall damage but increases the chances of being dragged. Being within her melee range reduces the chances of being dragged but increases her overall damage. Anticipation/Freedom should be used as frequently as possible to reduce the chances of being dragged, and Surge to be used when she says "There is..." to stay out of her NO ESCAPE!" attack. Before she says "NO ESCAPE!", mages should use Combust, meleers should use Slaughter (if possible) and rangers should use Fragmentation Shot as she will move towards the player provided that they aren't standing in the paths when she finishes her attack.
Nex's drag attack occurs only while she is using magic attacks, so it is best to stand next to her to drastically reduce her chances of doing so. As the attack is classified as a stun, using Anticipation and Freedom are highly recommended and should be used whenever possible as her drag does not occur all the time.
Note that the last special on this phase will change the beginning of her Smoke phase slightly; if she ends with "Let the virus flow through you!", she will begin with "Embrace darkness!" If she ends with "There is... NO ESCAPE!" instead, she will say "Fear the shadow!" first. Before ending the phase, it is advised to wait for "There is... NO ESCAPE!" to reduce the amount of prayer points drained and have a temporary advantage over her for the early moments of the Shadow phase.
Players should keep a moderate distance away from Nex during this phase, while using Protect/Deflect Missiles. Meleers should perform the hit and run tactic, as being too close for too long will cause rapid hits of up to 600 and she may also begin to chase them, depleting food heavily. She will spawn shadow traps under every player in the room after every 4 attacks, which will inflict heavy damage if a player is not quick enough to move - this can be easily avoided by moving to where no shadow traps are. In addition, Nex's standard ranged attacks can slightly drain prayer points.
She can also use melee when within range, which should be avoided. Note that for rangers she is likely to run after them unless provoked by another player, as she exploits their weakness of being susceptible to melee. This can be mitigated by wearing a magic/melee helm and legs with a range body, at the cost of 20% accuracy for rangers, where Nex is likely to continue ranging them instead.
Should Nex chase after a player, take off any armour that is making you susceptible to melee attacks, and continue running away from her until she flies towards the center of the room/near the player. This will result in Nex resuming her ranged attacks and stop chasing after the player.
At the beginning of the phase, she will say "A siphon will solve this!", and spawn two blood reavers within 20 spaces of her, while incoming damage will also heal her. Her magic attacks will heal her slightly, healing the amount it would have done without any prayers active. During this phase, the DPSers should be using ultimate abilities such as Berserk and Death's Swiftness to deal as much damage as they can on her.
After four/five attacks, Nex will say "I demand a blood sacrifice!". One player will be targeted (this is shown with them fully red, and is usually the furthest away from her). If the player is within five spaces of her before the attack ends, she will deal unclassified damage equal to 1/10th of the player's maximum life points, launch a magic attack on all players within range (which will heal her on the damage from her attacks if they were unprotected), and cut their prayer points by 50%. After that, the team has around 5 attacks before she will say "A siphon will solve this!" If she says this again and her health has not been depleted to 80,000 life points, she will gain life points equal to the combined total of the remaining reavers life points (so if a reaver is killed and another has 20 life points, she will heal 20 life points). Bleed abilities are not recommended on this phase, as Nex will gain life points rather than losing them.
If soloing, as soon as a reaver appears near Nex, severely weaken it or kill it, incase the player is unable to lower her life points to 80,000 within 30 seconds, as she will recover 15,000 life points from two intact reavers. DO NOT attack Nex when she says "A siphon will solve this!", as she will target you as soon as she is finished. Instead, attack the reavers as there is a ten second time frame before she begins to attack you. Surge is also important to avoid her sacrifice attacks, as running may not be enough, since Nex can instead try to melee the player, preventing them from escaping properly.
Regardless of team sizes, always be careful of Nex whenever she uses her sacrifice ability; she may try to melee the player after using it, and the only way to avoid this is by use of Surge or Escape, the latter not recommended due to having 3 less spaces compared to Surge. Position yourself correctly also, as she may also "force" move you and mess up your Surge/Escape and cause her to heal.
Note that the last special that Nex uses during this phase will determine which one she uses next on the Ice phase - it is advised for her to have last used "I demand a blood sacrifice!" so that she first uses "Contain this!" instead of "Die now, in a prison of ice!", to potentially reduce the amount of prisons she will use in the next phase.
Nex's regular magic attacks drain prayer points during this phase. It is advised to use Protect/Deflect Magic on this phase as they will get frozen if not. Protect/Deflect Melee is optional as it is very likely during this phase she will start chasing her target during this phase. At the beginning of the phase, she may use one of these attacks first:
- Nex may say "Contain this!". After two ticks, four large icicles will appear in a 3x3 radius around her. If she does this ability while her target is at a distance from her, the player should immediately move away from that location as it is very likely that she will move there before releasing the icicles. Even when she is meleeing her target, use of Surge and Escape is recommended incase she tries to chase after the player saying this. If you are caught by the main icicles, use Freedom and eat up quickly as the icicles and her attacks can cause heavy damage.
- Nex may also say "Die now, in a prison of ice!". Her current target will be trapped in an ice prison, be stunned and their overhead prayers disabled. If the player is not freed within five ticks, the ice will shatter and deal up to 8,000 damage on them, which can be fatal if she manages to land another hit on them. Players can use Anticipate or Freedom to negate the stun, and with full adrenaline use either Barricade or Immortality. If a player cannot use those abilities, Resonance and Reflect are useful in healing/mitigating the damage from her attack as she may attack the player while they are in the prison. Alternatively, the player can eat up and continue attacking Nex, as an update allowed players in the prison to attack targets if they are within range.
When soloing, it is recommended to save up adrenaline for Sunshine or Death's Swiftness (depending on what she is praying that kill), as ice prisons are the most common cause of death when soloing Nex. If possible, try to have Nex say "Contain this!" at 40,000 lifepoints at a corner (e.g. middle of room), then Surge quickly as she loses her current target for a few seconds before flying to them. Quickly deal with Glacies as a potential third prison will waste supplies/kill the player.
If one of the abilities was not used at the beginning of the phase, after five regular attacks she will use the other ability.
Once Nex reaches this phase, she will say "NOW, THE POWER OF ZAROS!" where she will activate a stronger version of Turmoil, which has can visibly drain combat stats. Her overhead prayers consist of a stronger version of Soul Split, causing her to heal 2,500 lifepoints for each hit she inflicts on the player(s) (limit of 3 heals per hit) regardless of the actual hit. She may also use any of the Deflection Curses she has access to, although she uses Deflect Melee the most on this phase. Her Soul Split does not last long compared to her Deflect Melee prayer. However, both of the prayers she uses on this phase do not last as long as her Deflect Magic and Missiles curses.
Nex always begins the phase with Soul Split as soon as she can attack her current target, unless she is using Deflect Magic/Missiles that was carried over from her Ice phase. Afterwards, she will switch to a deflection curse, then return to no overhead prayers. If the deflection curse was not melee, she will switch to Soul Split afterwards. Normally, Nex will attack three times before switching curses, unless she activates Deflect Magic/Missiles.
Nex's attacks will increase in terms of accuracy and strength. In this phase, she will attack with Smoke spells, which do not cause poison but hit much more harder then her melee attacks. Her melee attack will also shatter, dealing melee damage to anyone next to or on her target.
Once she is defeated, she will activate Wrath which has a larger radius than that of a player's - however it takes 3 ticks to hit and can be easily avoided.