- This article has a related strategy guide here.
|Release date||10 January 2011 (Update)|
|XP per kill||19,480 (and 6,428.4 experience)|
|Always drops||Big bones|
|Examine text||Even the gods fear it.|
Nex (meaning "murder" or "death" in Latin), along with Azzanadra and formerly Zamorak, is one of the most powerful generals of Zaros. She is located in the God Wars Dungeon. Nex's combat level is 220 making her currently tied third for the strongest monster in RuneScape outside of Dungeoneering with the Queen Black Dragon, also level 220 - both being surpassed by the Kalphite King at level 230 along with Vorago and the Shadow Barrow Brothers at level 240. She resides in the Ancient Prison - the Zarosian section of the God Wars Dungeon.
Nex is an immensely powerful entity and one of Zaros's most powerful weapons of war. What race she belongs to is widely disputed; however, one thing is certain, she possesses physical traits of the Icyene, Demons, Aviantese and Vampyres. Her history and origin are equally mysterious, but whatever they are she has aligned herself with Zaros and is the leader of his last army. She has over fifteen unique combat moves.
Following Zaros's downfall in the Second Age, some Zarosians were working to secure the area around the Mahjarrat ritual site to gain the upper hand. The leader of these Zarosians was Nex.
Gaining even more power whenever she battled, Nex was considered unstoppable. The forces of Saradomin were eventually able to imprison the powerful Zarosian army around the beginning of the Third Age. After great effort and sacrifice, they managed to lead Nex and the Zarosian army into a large ice cavern and then enchant them into a frozen sleep. Afterwards, the Saradomin forces built the Temple of Lost Ancients around it, ending the Battle for the Ritual Site.
Many centuries after that event, a flock of aviantese were ambushed by an army of demons while transporting a newly created Godsword through the mountains. Because of their small numbers, they were forced to retreat into the temple. Eventually, reinforcements arrived from each side and the battle grew. Thus the battle of the godsword began.
Much later, Saradomin priests, one of them being Ashuelot Reis, were approached by a mysterious figure who spoke of Guthix. He taught them that Guthix was the only god who could end the chaos and stop the war. The priests abandoned the cause of Saradomin and became followers of Guthix. Their new leader taught them the ways of druids, including an ancient ritual that had the power to awaken Guthix itself. The priests and their leader performed the ritual, but the result was unexpected and devastating. The priests accidentally reopened the prison, releasing Nex. Their leader, who had taught them the awakening ritual and the ways of Guthix revealed himself to be Sliske, a Zarosian Mahjarrat.
Due to the length of the enchanted sleep, Nex was not at full strength. Despite this, she quickly laid waste to vast numbers from all sides. She was rapidly gaining power and soon she would be at full strength once again. For the first and last time in history, all sides stood together and, after an intense battle, managed to seal Nex behind the massive frozen door.
When the God Wars Dungeon was reopened to the world in modern times, the number of adventurers that entered it seeking the godsword had an effect on the prison of ice. The adventurers had ventured inside the gods' chambers and found pieces of the key to the sealed prison, and adventurers can now descend to the depths of the prison to do battle with Nex and her army.
Nex resides in the Ancient Prison. To reach her, players must first open the frozen door - the entrance to the prison. It can be unlocked by assembling a frozen key. To get a key, one must access all of the other gods' strongholds (Armadyl, Bandos, Saradomin and Zamorak) and defeat followers until they receive a key part. Accessing the boss rooms is not necessary. To get in the other strongholds, the player will need 70 Ranged, Strength, Agility and Constitution (note that NONE of the skills may be boosted). When assembled, the parts make a frozen key with ten charges to open the frozen door. The key can be repaired for a cost which decreases based on your Smithing level, varying between about 50,000 - 10,000 coins.
After passing through the door, the player is in a small, monsterless room with a pit leading to a lower level.
After climbing down the pit, the player is in another small, monsterless room. The player should make any final preparations here (healing, drinking potions, etc.) before passing into the dangerous main room. A tunnel connects both rooms together. Once you are prepared, use magic or ranged protection prayers as the Ancient mages and Ancient rangers are the only problem when reaching her room. Once you are near the door, swap your gear for Ancient ceremonial robes and open the door. Without the ceremonial robes, you will need to kill 40 of Zaros' followers, which is very time consuming and dangerous.
In the quest "The World Wakes", Guthix's lair was discovered by the player and soon the factions of most gods were informed about it. They started working in reaching Guthix in order to kill him and consequentially break his edicts so their god could return to Gielinor, although some Zarosians didn't have interest in killing Guthix, they desired to bargain with him in order to allow only Zaros' return. The factions had to gather the most powerful individuals to participate in the competition to reach Guthix and kill him in the name of their god, and the Guthixians, gather the most powerful individuals to protect Guthix. To bolster the ranks of the Zarosian faction, Sliske, a powerful Zarosian Mahjarrat, once again freed Nex from her prison so that she could join the battle. Nex and the other Zarosians easily cleared the path on their way and in the end, managed to corral the Guthixians, Commander Zilyana, and the player. Nex argued briefly Zilyana, until Sliske passed while no one was paying attention, destroyed the wall that was blocking Guthix's chamber, reached Guthix and launched a deadly attack which killed him. With Guthix's death, the gods could finally return to Gielinor. Before Nex could celebrate the achievement and her freedom, Saradomin returned to Gielinor and arrived at Guthix's chamber. He easily imprisoned her once more and teleported all the other Zarosians away, and Nex still resides in her prison today, fuming and with a colossal desire for revenge.
Nex will occasionally say various lines which are voiced.
- AT LAST!
- Fumus! Umbra! Cruor! Glacies!
- Fill my soul with smoke!
- Let the virus flow through you!
- There is...NO ESCAPE!
- Fumus, don't fail me!
- Darken my shadow!
- Fear the shadow!
- Embrace darkness!
- Umbra, don't fail me!
- Flood my lungs with blood!
- A siphon will solve this!
- I demand a blood sacrifice!
- Cruor, don't fail me!
- Infuse me with the power of ice!
- Contain this!
- Die now, in a prison of ice!
- Glacies, don't fail me now!
- NOW, THE POWER OF ZAROS!
- Taste my wrath!
It is important to note that Nex's drop mechanics differ from those of other bosses while LootShare is in effect. Rather than merely dropping all of a high-quantity item to a single player, the drops are instead divided up into one, two, three, four, or five parts, depending on what the drop can be divided into perfectly. For example, rather than one player receiving 375 onyx bolts(e), the drop will be split up into five sections of 75 bolts and then distributed out through LootShare. However, it is still possible for one player to receive all five 75 bolt drops, depending on his or her potential to receive loot.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Big bones 1 Always 558
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 817 kills.
20 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Torva full helm 1 Rare 35,395,552 Torva platebody 1 Rare 64,525,983 Torva platelegs 1 Rare 56,782,823 Torva boots 1 Rare 18,749,243 Torva gloves 1 Rare 21,853,599 Pernix cowl 1 Rare 12,821,351 Pernix body 1 Rare 25,900,291 Pernix chaps 1 Rare 23,511,027 Pernix boots 1 Rare 12,510,070 Pernix gloves 1 Rare 15,413,228 Virtus mask 1 Rare 16,431,755 Virtus robe top 1 Rare 20,583,785 Virtus robe legs 1 Rare 21,253,070 Virtus boots 1 Rare 13,035,344 Virtus gloves 1 Rare 16,385,704
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Onyx bolts (e) 375 Uncommon 3,213,750 Virtus wand 1 Rare 109,808,995 Virtus book 1 Rare 41,575,935 Zaryte bow 1 Rare 83,971,032
Herbs and seedsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy avantoe
(dropped with dwarf weed)
75 (noted) Uncommon 326,625 Grimy dwarf weed
(dropped with avantoe)
75 (noted) Uncommon 813,525 Grimy torstol 40 (noted) Uncommon 195,680 Magic seed 5 Uncommon 964,900 Torstol seed 12 Uncommon 218,580
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Saradomin brew (4)
(always with super restores)
10, 30 Common 4,730–14,190 Super restore (4)
(always with saradomin brews)
10, 30 Common 27,220–81,660 Pure essence 4,800 (noted) Common 76,800 Magic logs 375 (noted) Common 521,250 Coal 2,400 (noted) Common 453,600 Runite ore 80 (noted) Common 840,960 Green dragonhide 400 (noted) Common 1,352,400 Blood rune 5,000 Rare 1,350,000 Death rune 5,000 Rare 560,000 Nex's followers 1 Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Very rare Not sold
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j Estimated between 1/277 and 1/408 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012. The drop rate of all Nex items is assumed to be equal on average, but Adventurer's Log data made them seem unequal.
- ^ Only when one of her unique items are dropped. It will continually appear until collected.
Rare drop table dropsEdit
Nex drops two rare drop table drops at a time. It is uncommon.
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 450; 3,000;
9,000; 10,000; 12,000
Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,736 Uncut emerald 1 Common 3,018 Uncut ruby 1 Common 4,002 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 8,493 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 26,385 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 42,768 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 17,354 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,903 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,714 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,010 Rune javelin 5 Rare 895 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,020 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,408 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,186 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,596 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 835,700 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,299 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,824 Shield left half 1 Very rare 64,933 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 60,581 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 16,800 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,250,250 Rune arrow 150–200, 500 Rare 22,500–75,000 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,567,800 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 2,922,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 2,356,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 145,761 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 11,282 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 35,150–49,210 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 69,600–97,440 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 195 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 395 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 8,000–240,000 Nature rune 20–80 Rare 6,600–26,400 Soul rune 20 Rare 3,060 Law rune 45 Rare 13,410 Death rune 50, 121 Rare 5,600–13,552 Blood rune 50 Rare 13,500 Raw swordfish 125–250, 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 48,750–390,000 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 444,750–889,500 Big bones 150–500 (noted) Uncommon 83,700–279,000 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 28,350–1,417,500 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 428,550–2,285,600 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 11,400 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,051,200 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 3,882,000–27,174,000 Rune bar 1, 50, 150 (noted) Rare 13,146–1,971,900 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 104,082 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 101,400–1,014,000 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 112,860–451,440 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 49,480–494,800 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 118,250 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 8,052 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 84,710–4,235,500 Magic seed 1–7 Rare 192,980–1,350,860 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,222,540 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 1,952 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 18,215–564,665 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,488 Yew logs 50–20,000 (noted) Rare 28,250–11,300,000 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- The plaque memorial in the safe and banking area reads: Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur, Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur, Omnia mors perimit et nulli miseretur, which translated from the Latin means: "Life is short, and shortly it will end, Death comes quickly which respects no one, Death destroys everything and takes pity on no one." The inscription is taken from the lyrics to "Ad Mortem Festinamus", a medieval song which served as a memento mori, a reminder of the certainty of death.
- After killing Nex, the Adventurer's Log will say: "I killed a devastating creature of Zaros, Nex." or after killing Nex several times, it will say: "I killed X devastating creatures of Zaros, all named Nex."
- Prior to an update, Nex's drops were somewhat of a standard God Wars general, and the drops only went to one person.
- After the God Wars Instances update, it was possible to have Nex spawn multiple times at once. This bug has been fixed.
- On 19 May 2011 there was a Quick Poll on which RuneScape character you would like to follow on Twitter. Nex was the option with the second highest number of votes.
- Jagex added a "stomp" attack that dealt 100 damage to the player and shortened their Overload effect. Due to this, it was possible to solo Nex. Due to players being able to solo Nex, upon the God Wars graphical update Jagex took the "stomp" attack out and replaced it by adding Deflect Missiles to her overhead prayers to prevent players from soloing her with Ranged.
- Nex's Turmoil drains stats from Magic and Ranged, despite Turmoil being a melee-draining curse.
- Unlike the other God Wars generals, Nex and her bodyguards are not "ready to fight" in the prison. If there are no players inside the prison she and her bodyguards will despawn.
- Nex's original combat level of 1001 was a tribute to her release date, 10 January (10-01). This is no longer the case as her combat level was updated to 220 with the Evolution of Combat.
- According to the Book of Zaros - one of the sections of the Book of the Gods - Nex once owned a palace unto herself, and it was from here that she and Azzanadra planned their counter-attack following the fall of Zaros. What happened to this palace after Nex's imprisonment is unknown.
- On 7 January 2014, Nex recieved the following updates:
- Nex can now use the Deflect Magic curse.
- Nex now has an instance option, costing 800.000 gp per hour.
- When Nex uses her deflection curses, it will turn green for ranged, blue for magic and orange for melee, similar to the Kalphite King's combat styles.
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Corporeal Beast||Strongest attackable monster in RuneScape||Queen Black Dragon|
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Queen Black Dragon||Strongest attackable monster in RuneScape (With the Queen Black Dragon)||Kalphite King|
God Wars Dungeon Bosses