|Release date||10 January 2011 (Update)|
|XP per kill||19,480 (and 6,428.4 experience)|
|Always drops||Big bones|
|Examine text||Even the gods fear it.|
Nex (coming from the Infernal word for "murder" or "death") is a powerful Zarosian general. She is a Zaryte from the plane Freneskae. She is located in the Ancient Prison, sealed away in the back of the God Wars Dungeon. With a combat level of 1001, she ranks amongst the most powerful monsters in RuneScape.
Slaying Nex does not count toward a Nihil task, likewise a kill does not count toward the "God Wars - Like a Boss" daily challenge.
In Zaros's quest to recruit mortal races, he made a promise to the Dragon Riders to solve their infertility crisis. In order to do this, he returned to Freneskae to harvest Mah's elder energy and manipulate life. Zaros considered his creations a failure. Although the proper name for these life forms is Zarytes, Zaros called them nihil as they meant "nothing to him."
One of the nihil, although originally shunned by the others, outgrew and outwitted the rest. It was for this reason that Zaros implanted a sliver of his being into the nihil and granted it sentience. This nihil as she came to call herself was Nex.
Following Zaros's downfall in the Second Age, a group of Zarosians were working to secure the area around the Mahjarrat ritual site to gain the upper hand. The leader of these Zarosians was Nex. Gaining power whenever she battled, Nex was considered unstoppable. Despite her immense strength, the forces of Saradomin were eventually able to imprison Nex and the powerful Zarosian army around the beginning of the Third Age. With much effort and sacrifice, the Saradominists managed to lead Nex and her army into a large ice cavern, where they enchanted them into a frozen sleep. Afterwards, the Saradominist forces built the Temple of Lost Ancients around it, ending the Battle for the Ritual Site.
Nearly a thousand years later a flock of aviantese transporting a newly created Godsword were ambushed by an army of demons as they passed through the mountains of Trollheim. Outnumbered, the aviantese were forced to retreat, into the temple. Each of the gods — Armadyl, Bandos, Saradomin, Zamorak — sent combatants to this temple, beginning the battle for the godsword.
Years after these God Wars began, Saradominist priests (one of whom was Ashuelot Reis) were approached by a mysterious figure who spoke of Guthix. This entity taught them that Guthix was the only god who could end the chaos and stop the war. The priests abandoned the cause of Saradomin and became followers of Guthix. Their new leader taught them the ways of druids which included an ancient ritual that supposedly had the power to awaken Guthix itself. The priests and their leader performed the ritual, but the result was not what they had expected; the priests had accidentally reopened the prison, releasing Nex. Their leader, the one who convinced them to side with him and perform the ritual, revealed himself to be Sliske, a loyal Zarosian Mahjarrat.
Due to the length of her enchanted sleep, Nex was not at full strength. Despite this, she quickly laid waste to vast quantities of combatants from all opposing sides. Rapidly gaining power from her participation in battle, she would soon be at full strength once again. Brought together by a common and powerful enemy, all four sides participating in the battle for the godsword united in battle against Nex. After the intense struggle, Nex and her army were ultimately trapped again, behind the frozen door.
When the God Wars Dungeon became accessible again in modern times, adventurers who entered seeking the godsword had ventured inside the gods' chambers and found pieces of the key to the sealed prison. With the frozen key completed, Nex could be engaged in combat once again.
The Death of GuthixEdit
Nex is amongst the characters who visit Guthix's lair after the player discovers it during The World Wakes. To bolster the ranks of the Zarosian faction, Sliske had once again freed Nex from her prison so that she could join the battle. Nex and the other Zarosians effortlessly cleared the path on their way and in the end, managed to corral the Guthixians, Commander Zilyana, and the player. Nex expresses no objection to killing Guthix. ; however, she is not decided on what her role is in this ambush..Sliske passed while no one was paying attention, destroyed the wall that was blocking Guthix's chamber, reached Guthix and launched a deadly attack which killed him. Before Nex could celebrate Sliske's achievement and her freedom, Saradomin returned to Gielinor, arriving at Guthix's chamber. He imprisoned her once more and teleported all the Zarosians away. Nex still resides in her prison to this day.
Return of ZarosEdit
When Zaros returned to Gielinor with a new corporeal form, he called upon his most loyal followers to work on specific tasks, with Azzanadra, Char, and Nex being amongst the group. Zaros tasked Nex with keeping the young gods in check, keeping Sliske's game in order, and containing their destruction with as little open conflict as possible. She was also advised to continue to attack the other god's forces without her ancient prison.
Nex resides in the Ancient Prison, a room locked behind the Frozen Door in the southern part of the God Wars dungeon. The door can only be opened by completing the frozen key, which is created by killing foot soldiers of each of the gods (Armadyl, Bandos, Saradomin and Zamorak). Each faction has its own piece of the key to be dropped. Key pieces are only dropped by combatants in the god's stronghold and outside the boss room; i.e. regular monsters not in the main area of the dungeon. As such, obtaining every part of the key requires at least level 70 Ranged, Strength, Agility and Constitution (none of these skills may be boosted). When assembled, the parts make a frozen key with ten charges to open the frozen door. The key can be repaired for a cost which decreases based on your Smithing level.
Just beyond the door is an isolated room with no enemies in it and stairs leading down to the ancient prison. Down these stairs is another safe room that contains a hole in the wall connecting it to the room that contains Nex's army. The area after this room is filled with Nex's soldiers, ancient warriors, ancient mages, ancient rangers, and blood reavers. This room is dangerous, and the monsters are aggressive. In the back of the room is the door to the second-to-last room to reach Nex. Opening this door requires either killing 40 of Zaros' followers or having equipped a full set of Ancient ceremonial robes. Having the Shard of Zaros is the only possible way to walk through the Zarosian army without being attacked by them.
The last room before Nex is another safe room. There are no monsters in here. The only entity in this room is Ashuelot Reis, who can provide banking services to the player. In this room is a magical barrier that seals Nex in her room. It can be removed to enter her room, but cannot be used to exit. The only way out of Nex's chamber is teleportation or death. Nex is not always present in her room; rather, she only appears when challengers have entered her room to face her.
Personality and relationshipsEdit
Nex is known to be malevolent and aggressive towards anyone who is not on her or Zaros' side. She holds a belief that a victory is not achievable without strategy and knowledge of the enemy. Additionally, she respects a worthy opponent and treats them chivalrously. Nex acknowledges - and does not deny - rumours that describe her as being of pure anger and hatred. She speaks in a fashion commonly associated with hissing and snakes, extending her "s" sounds in almost every word.
She seems partial to all Zarosians, naming only Zarosian Mahjarrat when speaking of Guthix's awakening, and expresses a specific fondness for Sliske, noting him as a friend initially but later regretting her decision of trusting him.
Nex will occasionally say various lines which are voiced.
- AT LAST!
- Fumus! Umbra! Cruor! Glacies!
- Fill my soul with smoke!
- Let the virus flow through you!
- There is...NO ESCAPE!
- Fumus, don't fail me!
- Darken my shadow!
- Fear the shadow!
- Embrace darkness!
- Umbra, don't fail me!
- Flood my lungs with blood!
- A siphon will solve this!
- I demand a blood sacrifice!
- Cruor, don't fail me!
- Infuse me with the power of ice!
- Contain this!
- Die now, in a prison of ice!
- Glacies, don't fail me!
- NOW, THE POWER OF ZAROS!
- Taste my wrath!
Nex's drop mechanics differ from those of other bosses while LootShare is in effect. Rather than simply dropping all of a high-quantity item to a single player, the drops are divided into 1–5 parts, depending on what the drop can be divided into perfectly. For example, rather than one player receiving 375 onyx bolts(e), the drop will be split up into five sections of 75 bolts and then distributed out through LootShare. However, it is still possible for one player to receive all five 75 bolt drops, depending on his or her potential to receive loot.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Big bones 1 Always 567
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 817 kills.
20 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Torva full helm 1 [d 1]Rare 13,887,061 Torva platebody 1 [d 1]Rare 28,531,312 Torva platelegs 1 [d 1]Rare 30,522,722 Torva boots 1 Rare 18,021,972 Torva gloves 1 Rare 10,645,959 Pernix cowl 1 [d 1]Rare 9,969,590 Pernix body 1 [d 1]Rare 22,441,244 Pernix chaps 1 [d 1]Rare 22,912,650 Pernix boots 1 Rare 13,561,636 Pernix gloves 1 Rare 7,976,646 Virtus mask 1 [d 1]Rare 5,672,497 Virtus robe top 1 [d 1]Rare 12,384,426 Virtus robe legs 1 [d 1]Rare 13,566,664 Virtus boots 1 Rare 10,926,628 Virtus gloves 1 Rare 6,602,136
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Onyx bolts (e) 375 Uncommon 3,199,125 Virtus wand 1 Rare 25,010,279 Virtus book 1 Rare 8,386,967 Zaryte bow 1 [d 1]Rare 51,826,467
Herbs and seedsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Grimy avantoe
(always with dwarf weed)
75 (noted) Uncommon 294,375 Grimy dwarf weed
(always with avantoe)
75 (noted) Uncommon 519,750 Grimy torstol 40 (noted) Uncommon 217,040 Magic seed 5 Uncommon 826,775 Torstol seed 12 Uncommon 188,796
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Magic logs 375 (noted) Common 369,750 Coal 2,400 (noted) Common 650,400 Runite ore 80 (noted) Common 854,880 Green dragonhide 400 (noted) Common 720,000 Uncut dragonstone 20 (noted) Common 259,440
One potion is dropped in a group of 10. The other potion will always be dropped in a group of 30.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Saradomin brew (4) 10, 30 Common 19,230–57,690 Super restore (4) 10, 30 Common 28,560–85,680
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Nex's followers 1 [d 2]Rare Not sold Clue scroll (hard) 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Very rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold Court summons 1 Very rare Not sold
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j Estimated between 1/277 and 1/408 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012. The drop rate of all Nex items is assumed to be equal on average, but Adventurer's Log data made them seem unequal.
- ^ Only when one of her unique items are dropped. It will continually appear until collected.
Rare drop table dropsEdit
Nex drops two rare drop table drops at a time. It is uncommon.
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 200–350,3,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,082 Uncut emerald 1 Common 2,082 Uncut ruby 1 Common 2,850 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 5,112 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 27,134 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 30,352 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 12,972 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,011 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,480 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,213 Rune javelin 5 Rare 890 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,240 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,288 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,434 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,909 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,572,400 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 21,958 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,619 Shield left half 1 Very rare 64,586 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,231 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 11,800 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,257,600 Rune arrow 150 Rare 22,650 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 95,152 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 10,887 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 65,950–92,330 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 64,125–89,775 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 560 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 399 Pure essence 1,000–1,500 (noted) Uncommon 14,000–21,000 Nature rune 60–80 Rare 21,660–28,880 Soul rune 20 Rare 4,440 Law rune 45 Rare 19,485 Death rune 50 Rare 17,500 Blood rune 50 Rare 25,000 Raw swordfish 125–250 (noted) Uncommon 55,375–110,750 Raw shark 250 (noted) Uncommon 285,750 Big bones 150–180 (noted) Uncommon 85,050–102,060 Coal 550–700 (noted) Uncommon 149,050–189,700 Adamantite ore 150–250 (noted) Uncommon 203,100–338,500 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 8,700 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,068,600 Rune bar 1 Common 14,177 Rune bar 50 (noted) Very rare 708,850 Clean toadflax 35–45 (noted) Uncommon 118,685–152,595 Clean snapdragon 30–35 (noted) Uncommon 113,640–132,580 Clean torstol 16–34 (noted) Uncommon 89,264–189,686 Snapdragon seed 1 Common 1,401 Torstol seed 1 Uncommon 15,733 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 7,590 Magic seed 3–7 Rare 496,065–1,157,485 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,565,080 Yew logs 450–550 (noted) Rare 160,650–196,350 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (FM) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (WC) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- The plaque memorial in the safe and banking area reads: Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur, Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur, Omnia mors perimit et nulli miseretur, which translated from the Latin means: "Life is short, and shortly it will end, Death comes quickly which respects no one, Death destroys everything and takes pity on no one." The inscription is taken from the lyrics to "Ad Mortem Festinamus", a medieval song which served as a memento mori, a reminder of the certainty of death.
- For a while after the Evolution of Combat, when using Kick against Nex it would knock her back a tile, despite her stun-immunity icon. This has been fixed.
- Despite appearing to take a 4x4 or 5x5 space, the actual size is 1x1, which is the same as a player.
- After killing Nex, the Adventurer's Log will say: "I killed a devastating creature of Zaros, Nex." or after killing Nex several times, it will say: "I killed X devastating creatures of Zaros, all named Nex."
- However, getting an adventure log item from Nex would show the message: "After killing a Nex, it dropped a <item>."
- Prior to an update, Nex's drops were somewhat of a standard God Wars general, and the drops only went to one person.
- After the God Wars Instances update, it was possible to have Nex spawn multiple times at once. This bug has been fixed.
- On 19 May 2011 there was a Quick Poll on which RuneScape character you would like to follow on Twitter. Nex was the option with the second highest number of votes.
- Prior to the God Wars Dungeon graphical update, players climbed down a slope rather then dispelling a barrier and jumping down.
- Jagex added a "stomp" attack that dealt 100 damage to the player and shortened their Overload effect to prevent players from soloing Nex. However, her "stomp" attack caused her moving pattern to be incorrect, which resulted in players being able to solo her. After the God Wars Dungeon graphical update, the stomp attack was removed and replaced with Deflect Missiles instead.
- Nex's use of curses seems to be much more stronger then the ones players can use.
- Nex's Soul Split heals 2,500 lifepoints, regardless of what she hits (heal occurs if there is a hit.)
- Nex's Turmoil drains combat stats whenever possible visibly.
- Nex's Deflection curses fully block damage rather then partially protecting her, and can deal massive reflect damage onto the player even if their actual hit was lower then the reflect.
- Unlike the other God Wars generals, Nex and her bodyguards are not "ready to fight" in the prison. If there are no players inside the prison she and her bodyguards will despawn.
- If a player enters the arena via barrier, she will spawn shortly, provided that no other players are inside. If a player logs into the arena and there is no one else inside, they will have to wait for her to respawn instead.
- Nex's combat level of 1001 is a reference to her release date, 10 January (10-01). It was changed to 220 with the Evolution of Combat and it was changed back after legacy was released.
- According to the Book of Zaros - one of the sections of the Book of the Gods - Nex once owned a palace unto herself, and it was from here that she and Azzanadra planned their counter-attack following the fall of Zaros. What happened to this palace after Nex's imprisonment is unknown.
- On 7 January 2014, Nex received the following updates:
- Nex can now use the Deflect Magic curse.
- Nex now has an instance option, costing 800,000 coins per hour.
- When Nex uses her deflection curses, her wings will turn green for ranged, blue for magic and orange for melee, similar to the Kalphite King's wings when using a combat style.
- During the fight, there are a few glitches in some phases:
- When fighting Nex in her Shadow Phase, when she says "Fear the shadow!", instead of attacking, she may say another "Embrace darkness!" instead.
- When fighting Nex in her Blood Phase, if the player uses Dragon Breath with a Dragon Rider amulet, the amulet's effect may go off, causing a small bleed on her that does damage rather then healing her, even though bleeds heal her during that phase.
- During the Blood Phase, after she says "A siphon will solve this!", if she is not attacked, she will do nothing before she flies to the player and starts attacking them. After two or three attacks, she will then say "I demand a blood sacrifice!", compared to attacking her, in which she will attack five times before using her sacrifice ability. The same also affects her during her Ice Phase, if she cannot find any players to attack after saying "Contain this!".
- For the duration of December 2014, during her ice phase, Nex will say "Die now, in a present of ice!" The icicles that form the prison are replaced with presents. Along since the start of December 2014, she wears Santa's hat. This includes during quests like Fate of the Gods in which Zaros transforms into her with the hat on.
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Corporeal Beast||Strongest attackable monster in RuneScape||Queen Black Dragon|
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Queen Black Dragon||Strongest attackable monster in RuneScape (With the Queen Black Dragon)||Kalphite King|
- ^ Nex, Guthix's Chamber, RuneScape. "Player: I will side with neither. I want to destroy Guthix.
Commander Zilyana: Finally, someone who sees sense.
Nex: I cannot disagree."
- ^ Nex, Guthix's Chamber, RuneScape. "Player: What do you plan to do here?
Nex: ...It isss undecided. "
- ^ Nex, The World Wakes, RuneScape. "We are agreed; thisss is what Zarosss would desire. 'Knowing an enemy isss half the battle,' he would sssay."
- ^ Nex's Followers, author unknown, RuneScape. "A loose battlement caused Pernix to stumble, giving Nex the opportunity to strike, but he dodged her blow - again something that rarely happened to Nex. In admiration, Nex offered to take him under her wing."
- ^ Nex, The World Wakes, RuneScape. "Legends have told of me; they describe me of a being of pure anger, pure hatred. Un-ssstoppable."
- ^ Nex, The World Wakes, RuneScape. "The Mahjarrat, Azzanadra, Wahisssietel, Akthanakosss. They would wake Guthix; sssee what he has to teach usss."
- ^ Nex, The World Wakes, RuneScape. "A loyal friend: Sss-liske. The trick-ssster; the rogue."
- ^ Nex, The World Wakes, RuneScape. "Sss-Sliske would release me just to sss-steal my victory. I should have known he could not be trusted."
- ^ Nex, The World Wakes, RuneScape. "You watch your tongue, Zilyana, or I will rip it from your mouth."
- ^ Nex, The World Wakes, RuneScape. "Azzanadra, you ancient fool. Your feelingsss mean nothing in the heat of war. You could have killed the human by now."