- This article has a related strategy guide here.
|Release date||10 January 2011 (Update)|
|Combat level|| 220|
|XP per kill||19,480 (and 6,428.4 experience)|
|Always drops||Big bones|
|Examine text||Even the gods fear it.|
Nex (coming from the Latin word for "murder" or "death") is a powerful Zarosian general. She is a Zaryte from the planet of Freneskae. She is located in the Ancient Prison, sealed away in the back of the God Wars Dungeon. With a combat level of 220, she ranks amongst the most powerful monsters in RuneScape.
In Zaros's quest to recruit mortal races, he made a promise to the Dragon Riders to solve their infertility crisis. In order to do this, he returned to Freneskae to harvest Mah's elder energy and manipulate life. Zaros considered his creations a failure. Although the proper name for these life forms is Zarytes, Zaros called them nihil as they meant "nothing to him."
One of the nihil, although originally shunned by the others, outgrew and outwitted the rest. It was for this reason that Zaros implanted a sliver of his being into the nihil and granted it sentience. This nihil as she came to call herself was Nex.
Following Zaros's downfall in the Second Age, a group of Zarosians were working to secure the area around the Mahjarrat ritual site to gain the upper hand. The leader of these Zarosians was Nex. Gaining power whenever she battled, Nex was considered unstoppable. Despite her immense strength, The forces of Saradomin were eventually able to imprison Nex and the powerful Zarosian army around the beginning of the Third Age. With much effort and sacrifice, the Saradomonists managed to lead Nex and her army into a large ice cavern, where they enchanted them into a frozen sleep. Afterwards, the Saradominist forces built the Temple of Lost Ancients around it, ending the Battle for the Ritual Site.
Nearly a thousand years later a flock of aviantese transporting a newly created Godsword were ambushed by an army of demons as they passed through the mountains of Trollheim. Outnumbered, the aviantese were forced to retreat, into the temple. Each of the gods — Armadyl, Bandos, Saradomin, Zamorak — sent combatants to this temple, beginning the battle for the godsword.
Years after these God Wars began, Saradominist priests (one of whom was Ashuelot Reis) were approached by a mysterious figure who spoke of Guthix. This entity taught them that Guthix was the only god who could end the chaos and stop the war. The priests abandoned the cause of Saradomin and became followers of Guthix. Their new leader taught them the ways of druids which included an ancient ritual that supposedly had the power to awaken Guthix itself. The priests and their leader performed the ritual, but the result was not what they had expected; the priests had accidentally reopened the prison, releasing Nex. Their leader, the one who convinced them to side with him and perform the ritual, revealed himself to be Sliske, a loyal Zarosian Mahjarrat.
Due to the length of her enchanted sleep, Nex was not at full strength. Despite this, she quickly laid waste to vast quantities of combatants from all opposing sides. Rapidly gaining power from her participation in battle, she would soon be at full strength once again. Brought together by a common and powerful enemy, all four sides participating in the battle for the godsword united in battle against Nex. After the intense struggle, Nex and her army were ultimately trapped again, behind the frozen door.
When the God Wars Dungeon became accessible again in modern times, adventurers who entered seeking the godsword had ventured inside the gods' chambers and found pieces of the key to the sealed prison. With the frozen key completed, Nex could be engaged in combat once again.
The World WakesEdit
Nex is amongst the characters who visit Guthix's lair after the player discovers it during The World Wakes. To bolster the ranks of the Zarosian faction, Sliske had once again freed Nex from her prison so that she could join the battle. Nex and the other Zarosians effortlessly cleared the path on their way and in the end, managed to corral the Guthixians, Commander Zilyana, and the player. Nex expresses no objection to killing Guthix. ; however, she is not decided on what he role is in this ambush..Sliske passed while no one was paying attention, destroyed the wall that was blocking Guthix's chamber, reached Guthix and launched a deadly attack which killed him. Before Nex could celebrate Sliske's achievement and her freedom, Saradomin returned to Gielinor, arriving at Guthix's chamber. He imprisoned her once more and teleported all the Zarosians away. Nex still resides in her prison to this day.
Return of ZarosEdit
When Zaros returned to Gielinor with a new corporeal form, he called upon his most loyal followers to work on specific tasks, with Azzanadra, Char, and Nex being amongst the group. Zaros tasked Nex with keeping the young gods in check, keeping Sliske's game in order, and containing their destruction with as little open conflict as possible. She was also advised to continue to attack the other god's forces without her ancient prison.
Nex resides in the Ancient Prison, a room locked behind the Frozen Door in the southern part of the dungeon. The door can only be opened by completing the frozen key, which is created by killing foot soldiers of each of the gods (Armadyl, Bandos, Saradomin and Zamorak). Each faction has its own piece of the key to be dropped. Key pieces are only dropped by combatants in the god's stronghold and outside the boss room; i.e. regular monsters not in the main area of the dungeon. As such, obtaining every part of the key requires at least level 70 Ranged, Strength, Agility and Constitution (none of these skills may be boosted). When assembled, the parts make a frozen key with ten charges to open the frozen door. The key can be repaired for a cost which decreases based on your Smithing level.
Just beyond the door is an isolated room with no enemies in it and stairs leading down to the ancient prison. Down these stairs is another safe room that contains a hole in the wall connecting it to the room that contains Nex's army. The area after this room is filled with Nex's soldiers, ancient warriors, ancient mages, ancient rangers, and blood reavers. This room is dangerous, and the monsters are aggressive. In the back of the room is the door to the second-to-last room to reach Nex. Opening this door requires either killing 40 of Zaros' followers or having equipped a full set of Ancient ceremonial robess. Having the Shard of Zaros is the only possible way to walk through the Zarosian army without being attacked by them.
The last room before Nex is another safe room. There are no monsters in here. The only entity in this room is Ashuelot Reis, who can provide banking services to the player. In this room is a magical barrier that seals Nex in her room. It can be removed to enter her room, but cannot be used to exit. The only way out of Nex's chamber is teleportation or death. Nex is not always present in her room; rather, she only appears when challengers have entered her room to face her.
Personality and relationshipsEdit
Nex is known to be malevolent and aggressive towards anyone who is not on her or Zaros' side. She holds a belief that a victory is not achievable without strategy and knowledge of the enemy. Additionally, she respects a worthy opponent and treats them chivalrously. Nex acknowledges - and does not deny - rumours that describe her as being of pure anger and hatred. She speaks in a fashion commonly associated with hissing and snakes, extending her "s" sounds in almost every word.
She seems partial to all Zarosians, naming only Zarosian Mahjarrat when speaking of Guthix's awakening, and expresses a specific fondness for Sliske, noting him as a friend initially but later regretting her decision of trusting him.
Nex will occasionally say various lines which are voiced.
- AT LAST!
- Fumus! Umbra! Cruor! Glacies!
- Fill my soul with smoke!
- Let the virus flow through you!
- There is...NO ESCAPE!
- Fumus, don't fail me!
- Darken my shadow!
- Fear the shadow!
- Embrace darkness!
- Umbra, don't fail me!
- Flood my lungs with blood!
- A siphon will solve this!
- I demand a blood sacrifice!
- Cruor, don't fail me!
- Infuse me with the power of ice!
- Contain this!
- Die now, in a prison of ice!
- Glacies, don't fail me now!
- NOW, THE POWER OF ZAROS!
- Taste my wrath!
Nex's drop mechanics differ from those of other bosses while LootShare is in effect. Rather than simply dropping all of a high-quantity item to a single player, the drops are divided into 1 — 5 parts, depending on what the drop can be divided into perfectly. For example, rather than one player receiving 375 onyx bolts(e), the drop will be split up into five sections of 75 bolts and then distributed out through LootShare. However, it is still possible for one player to receive all five 75 bolt drops, depending on his or her potential to receive loot.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Big bones 1 Always 575
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 817 kills.
20 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Torva full helm 1 [d 1]Rare 28,892,750 Torva platebody 1 [d 1]Rare 51,732,792 Torva platelegs 1 [d 1]Rare 44,237,765 Torva boots 1 Rare 12,447,719 Torva gloves 1 Rare 15,837,687 Pernix cowl 1 [d 1]Rare 10,805,175 Pernix body 1 [d 1]Rare 27,218,006 Pernix chaps 1 [d 1]Rare 23,749,251 Pernix boots 1 Rare 9,232,260 Pernix gloves 1 Rare 11,605,378 Virtus mask 1 [d 1]Rare 12,465,733 Virtus robe top 1 [d 1]Rare 18,507,486 Virtus robe legs 1 [d 1]Rare 19,289,782 Virtus boots 1 Rare 8,768,167 Virtus gloves 1 Rare 10,638,794
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Onyx bolts (e) 375 Uncommon 3,187,125 Virtus wand 1 Rare 95,980,458 Virtus book 1 Rare 31,403,305 Zaryte bow 1 [d 1]Rare 81,512,861
Herbs and seedsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy avantoe
(dropped with dwarf weed)
75 (noted) Uncommon 348,750 Grimy dwarf weed
(dropped with avantoe)
75 (noted) Uncommon 794,400 Grimy torstol 40 (noted) Uncommon 255,600 Magic seed 5 Uncommon 779,795 Torstol seed 12 Uncommon 193,140
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Saradomin brew (4)
(always with super restores)
10, 30 Common 3,960–11,880 Super restore (4)
(always with saradomin brews)
10, 30 Common 35,100–105,300 Pure essence 4,800 (noted) Common 62,400 Magic logs 375 (noted) Common 481,125 Coal 2,400 (noted) Common 460,800 Runite ore 80 (noted) Common 844,320 Green dragonhide 400 (noted) Common 1,146,000 Blood rune 5,000 Very rare 1,040,000 Death rune 5,000 Very rare 565,000 Nex's followers 1 [d 2]Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Very rare Not sold
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j Estimated between 1/277 and 1/408 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012. The drop rate of all Nex items is assumed to be equal on average, but Adventurer's Log data made them seem unequal.
- ^ Only when one of her unique items are dropped. It will continually appear until collected.
Rare drop table dropsEdit
Nex drops two rare drop table drops at a time. It is uncommon.
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 450; 3,000;
9,000; 10,000; 12,000
Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,405 Uncut emerald 1 Common 3,148 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,240 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 6,722 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 19,784 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 41,520 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 14,664 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,352 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,556 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,054 Rune javelin 5 Rare 880 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,120 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,543 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,312 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,127 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 827,800 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,359 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,832 Shield left half 1 Very rare 64,166 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 60,262 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 12,200 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,257,300 Rune arrow 150–200, 500 Rare 22,350–74,500 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,594,000 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 2,908,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 2,097,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 140,908 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 11,536 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 35,050–49,070 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 41,850–58,590 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 665 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 447 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 6,500–195,000 Nature rune 20–80 Rare 6,480–25,920 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,860 Law rune 45 Rare 13,185 Death rune 50, 121 Rare 5,650–13,673 Blood rune 50 Rare 10,400 Raw swordfish 125–250, 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 39,375–315,000 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 411,250–822,500 Big bones 150–500 (noted) Uncommon 86,250–287,500 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 28,800–1,440,000 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 370,650–1,976,800 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 10,300 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,055,400 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 3,404,000–23,828,000 Rune bar 1, 50, 150 (noted) Rare 13,124–1,968,600 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 105,567 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 108,925–1,089,250 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 128,490–513,960 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 63,880–638,800 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 99,000 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 8,700 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 67,803–3,390,150 Magic seed 1–7 Rare 155,959–1,091,713 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 996,730 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 1,406 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 16,095–498,945 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,858 Yew logs 50–20,000 (noted) Rare 26,350–10,540,000 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- The plaque memorial in the safe and banking area reads: Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur, Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur, Omnia mors perimit et nulli miseretur, which translated from the Latin means: "Life is short, and shortly it will end, Death comes quickly which respects no one, Death destroys everything and takes pity on no one." The inscription is taken from the lyrics to "Ad Mortem Festinamus", a medieval song which served as a memento mori, a reminder of the certainty of death.
- After killing Nex, the Adventurer's Log will say: "I killed a devastating creature of Zaros, Nex." or after killing Nex several times, it will say: "I killed X devastating creatures of Zaros, all named Nex."
- However, getting an adventure log item from Nex would show the message: "After killing a Nex, it dropped a <item>."
- Prior to an update, Nex's drops were somewhat of a standard God Wars general, and the drops only went to one person.
- After the God Wars Instances update, it was possible to have Nex spawn multiple times at once. This bug has been fixed.
- On 19 May 2011 there was a Quick Poll on which RuneScape character you would like to follow on Twitter. Nex was the option with the second highest number of votes.
- Jagex added a "stomp" attack that dealt 100 damage to the player and shortened their Overload effect. Due to this, it was possible to solo Nex. Due to players being able to solo Nex, upon the God Wars graphical update Jagex took the "stomp" attack out and replaced it by adding Deflect Missiles to her overhead prayers to prevent players from soloing her with Ranged.
- Nex's Turmoil drains stats from Magic and Ranged, despite Turmoil being a melee-draining curse.
- Unlike the other God Wars generals, Nex and her bodyguards are not "ready to fight" in the prison. If there are no players inside the prison she and her bodyguards will despawn.
- Nex's original combat level of 1001 was a tribute to her release date, 10 January (10-01). This is no longer the case as her combat level was updated to 220 with the Evolution of Combat.
- According to the Book of Zaros - one of the sections of the Book of the Gods - Nex once owned a palace unto herself, and it was from here that she and Azzanadra planned their counter-attack following the fall of Zaros. What happened to this palace after Nex's imprisonment is unknown.
- On 7 January 2014, Nex recieved the following updates:
- Nex can now use the Deflect Magic curse.
- Nex now has an instance option, costing 800,000 coins per hour.
- When Nex uses her deflection curses, it will turn green for ranged, blue for magic and orange for melee, similar to the Kalphite King's combat styles.
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Corporeal Beast||Strongest attackable monster in RuneScape||Queen Black Dragon|
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Queen Black Dragon||Strongest attackable monster in RuneScape (With the Queen Black Dragon)||Kalphite King|
- ^ Nex, Guthix's Chamber, RuneScape. "Player: I will side with neither. I want to destroy Guthix.
Commander Zilyana: Finally, someone who sees sense.
Nex: I cannot disagree."
- ^ Nex, Guthix's Chamber, RuneScape. "Player: What do you plan to do here?
Nex: ...It isss undecided. "
- ^ Nex, The World Wakes, RuneScape. "We are agreed; thisss is what Zarosss would desire. 'Knowing an enemy isss half the battle,' he would sssay."
- ^ Nex's Followers, author unknown, RuneScape. "A loose battlement caused Pernix to stumble, giving Nex the opportunity to strike, but he dodged her blow - again something that rarely happened to Nex. In admiration, Nex offered to take him under her wing."
- ^ Nex, The World Wakes, RuneScape. "Legends have told of me; they describe me of a being of pure anger, pure hatred. Un-ssstoppable."
- ^ Nex, The World Wakes, RuneScape. "The Mahjarrat, Azzanadra, Wahisssietel, Akthanakosss. They would wake Guthix; sssee what he has to teach usss."
- ^ Nex, The World Wakes, RuneScape. "A loyal friend: Sss-liske. The trick-ssster; the rogue."
- ^ Nex, The World Wakes, RuneScape. "Sss-Sliske would release me just to sss-steal my victory. I should have known he could not be trusted."
- ^ Nex, The World Wakes, RuneScape. "You watch your tongue, Zilyana, or I will rip it from your mouth."
- ^ Nex, The World Wakes, RuneScape. "Azzanadra, you ancient fool. Your feelingsss mean nothing in the heat of war. You could have killed the human by now."
God Wars Dungeon Bosses