- This article has a strategy guide here.
|Release date||10 January 2011 (Update)|
|XP per kill||19478 (and 6427.7 experience)|
|Always drops||Big bones|
|Examine text||Even the gods fear it.|
Nex (meaning "murder" or "death" in Latin), along with Azzanadra and formerly Zamorak, is one of the most powerful generals of Zaros. She is located in the God Wars Dungeon and used to have a combat level of 1001, which was changed to 220 in the Evolution of Combat, making her currently tied second for the strongest monster in RuneScape with the Queen Black Dragon, also level 220 - both being surpassed by the Kalphite King at its release, with level 230. She was the first monster to have a combat level of over 1000 (the only two other monsters were the level 2100 Queen Black Dragon and the level 9001 Ferret of Doom, the latter of which cannot be fought). She resides in the Ancient Prison - the Zarosian stronghold of the God Wars Dungeon - which was released on 10 January 2011. It is highly recommended that one brings at least 3 players to fight her due to her siphon healing up to 22200 lifepoints at once in the blood phase.
Nex is an immensely powerful entity and one of Zaros's most powerful weapons of war. What race she belongs to is widely disputed; however, she possesses physical traits of the Icyene, Demons, Aviantese and Vampyres. Her history and origin are equally mysterious, but whatever they are she has aligned herself with Zaros and is the leader of his last army. She has over fifteen unique combat moves.
Following Zaros's downfall in the Second Age, the Mahjarrat Azzanadra was defeated by the armies of Zamorak and Saradomin. He was imprisoned inside of the great pyramid of Jaldraocht. Before his imprisonment, Azzanadra was working at Senntisten to reestablish contact with Zaros. The other Zarosians were working to secure the area around the Mahjarrat ritual site to gain the upper hand. The leader of these Zarosians was Nex.
Gaining even more power whenever she battled, Nex was considered unstoppable. The forces of Saradomin were eventually able to imprison the powerful Zarosian army around the beginning of the Third Age. After great effort and sacrifice, they managed to lead Nex and the Zarosian army into a large ice cavern and then enchant them into a frozen sleep. Afterwards, the Saradomin forces built the Temple of Lost Ancients around it.
Many years after that event, a flock of aviantese were ambushed by an army of demons while transporting a newly created Godsword through the mountains. Because of their small numbers, they were forced to retreat into the temple. Eventually, reinforcements arrived from each side and the battle grew. Thus the battle of the godsword began.
Much later, Saradomin priests, one of them being Ashuelot Reis, were approached by a mysterious figure who spoke of Guthix. He taught them that Guthix was the only god who could end the chaos and stop the war. The priests abandoned the cause of Saradomin and became followers of Guthix. Their new leader taught them the ways of druids, including an ancient ritual that had the power to awaken Guthix itself. The priests and their leader performed the ritual, but the result was unexpected and devastating. The priests accidentally reopened the prison, releasing Nex. Their leader, who had taught them the awakening ritual and the ways of Guthix revealed himself to be Sliske, a Zarosian Mahjarrat.
Due to the length of the enchanted sleep, Nex was not at full strength. Despite this, she quickly laid waste to vast numbers from all sides. She was rapidly gaining power and soon she would be at full strength once again. For the first and last time in history, all sides stood together and, after an intense battle, managed to seal Nex behind the massive frozen door.
When the God Wars Dungeon was reopened to the world in modern times, the number of adventurers that entered it seeking the godsword had an effect on the prison of ice. The adventurers had ventured inside the gods' chambers and found pieces of the key to the sealed prison, and adventurers can now descend to the depths of the prison to do battle with Nex and her army.
Nex resides in the Ancient Prison. To reach her, players must first open the frozen door - the entrance to the prison. It can be unlocked by assembling a frozen key. To get a key, one must access all of the other gods' strongholds (Armadyl, Bandos, Saradomin and Zamorak) and defeat followers until they receive a key part. Accessing the boss rooms is not necessary. To get in the other strongholds, the player will need 70 Ranged, Strength, Agility and Constitution (note that NONE of the skills may be boosted). When assembled, the parts make a frozen key with ten charges to open the frozen door. The key can be repaired for a cost which decreases based on your Smithing level, varying between about 50,000 - 10,000 coins.
After passing through the door, the player is in a small, monsterless room with a pit leading to a lower level.
After climbing down the pit, the player is in another small, monsterless room. The player should make any final preparations here (healing, drinking potions, etc.) before passing into the dangerous main room. A tunnel connects the small room to the main room. In this room, the monsters will be aggressive to the player unless the player has a high enough defence against them. After killing 40 of Zaros's followers in the main room, the player gains the ability to enter another safe room. There is a bank here, accessed via the nature spirit Ashuelot Reis. Note that players wearing a full set of ancient ceremonial robes don't need to reach a killcount - they will be able to go straight to the bank area just before Nex. Players should be careful when equipping the ancient ceremonial robes in the Nex room of Zaros followers as the robes have no stats and will not prevent the followers from attacking the player.
Nex will occasionally say various lines which are voiced.
- AT LAST!
- Fumus! Umbra! Cruor! Glacies!
- Fill my soul with smoke!
- Let the virus flow through you!
- There is...NO ESCAPE!
- Fumus, don't fail me!
- Darken my shadow!
- Fear the shadow!
- Embrace darkness!
- Umbra, don't fail me!
- Flood my lungs with blood!
- A siphon will solve this!
- I demand a blood sacrifice!
- Cruor, don't fail me!
- Infuse me with the power of ice!
- Contain this!
- Die now, in a prison of ice!
- Glacies, don't fail me now!
- NOW, FEEL THE POWER OF ZAROS!
- Taste my wrath!
It is important to note that Nex's drop mechanics differ from those of other bosses while LootShare is in effect. Rather than merely dropping all of a high-quantity item to a single player, the drops are instead divided up into one, two, three, four, or five parts, depending on what the drop can be divided into perfectly. For example, rather than one player receiving 375 onyx bolts(e), the drop will be split up into five sections of 75 bolts and then distributed out through LootShare. However, it is still possible for one player to receive all five 75 bolt drops, depending on his or her potential to receive loot.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Big bones 1 Always 433
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 817 kills.
20 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Torva full helm 1 Rare 63,804,352 Torva platebody 1 Rare 128,310,585 Torva platelegs 1 Rare 91,464,980 Torva boots 1 Rare 39,158,069 Torva gloves 1 Rare 42,748,413 Pernix cowl 1 Rare 20,044,080 Pernix body 1 Rare 37,527,309 Pernix chaps 1 Rare 27,567,865 Pernix boots 1 Rare 13,460,968 Pernix gloves 1 Rare 13,406,575 Virtus mask 1 Rare 22,864,270 Virtus robe top 1 Rare 29,378,374 Virtus robe legs 1 Rare 27,459,327 Virtus boots 1 Rare 16,551,268 Virtus gloves 1 Rare 18,374,033
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Onyx bolts (e) 375 Common 3,312,750 Virtus wand 1 Rare 121,009,095 Virtus book 1 Rare 48,072,877 Zaryte bow 1 Rare 109,666,592
Herbs and seedsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy avantoe
(dropped with dwarf weed)
75 (noted) Uncommon 302,925 Grimy dwarf weed
(dropped with avantoe)
75 (noted) Uncommon 615,225 Grimy torstol 40 (noted) Uncommon 405,320 Magic seed 5 Uncommon 814,845 Torstol seed 12 Uncommon 826,368
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Saradomin brew (4)
(always with super restores)
10, 30 Common 5,670–17,010 Super restore (4)
(always with saradomin brews)
10, 30 Common 18,980–56,940 Pure essence 4,800 (noted) Common 422,400 Magic logs 375 (noted) Common 632,250 Coal 2,400 (noted) Common 633,600 Runite ore 80 (noted) Common 835,120 Green dragonhide 400 (noted) Common 727,200 Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Very rare Not sold Blood rune 5,000 Rare 875,000 Death rune 5,000 Rare 465,000 Nex's followers 1 Rare Not sold Spin ticket 1 Rare Not sold
Rare drop table dropsEdit
|Show/hide rare drop table|
- The plaque memorial in the safe and banking area reads: Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur, Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur, Omnia mors perimit et nulli miseretur, which translated from the Latin means: "Life is short, and shortly it will end, Death comes quickly which respects no one, Death destroys everything and takes pity on no one." The inscription is taken from the lyrics to "Ad Mortem Festinamus", a medieval song which served as a memento mori, a reminder of the certainty of death.
- After killing Nex, the Adventurer's Log will say, "I killed a devastating creature of Zaros, Nex." or, after killing Nex several times, it will say "I killed X devastating creatures of Zaros, all named Nex."
- On 19 May 2011 there was a Quick Poll on which RuneScape character you would like to follow on Twitter. Nex was the option with the second highest number of votes.
- Her examine text, and the fact that all the opposing armies joined to seal her off during the God Wars, suggest that she has the power to challenge a god, in a similar way Zamorak did to Zaros.
- Unlike the other God Wars generals, Nex and her bodyguards are not "ready to fight" in the prison. If there are no players inside the prison she and her bodyguards will despawn.
- Nex's original combat level of 1001 was a tribute to her release date, 10 January (10-01). This is no longer the case as her combat level was updated to 220.
- After Zaros was banished from Gielinor, it took 4 gods to imprison Nex, but in The World Wakes quest it only took 1 god, namely Saradomin, to teleport her back to her prison. One reason would probably be that the gods created the seal, but used their forces to send the Zarosians to the area instead of actually fighting with them. Also, as implied by Ashuelot Reis, Nex was incredibly weakened by the spell.
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Corporeal Beast||Strongest attackable monster in RuneScape||(Tied With) Queen Black Dragon|
God Wars Dungeon Bosses